Profile for J. Shakes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Shakes RSS Feed (Washington, USA)

Ancient Mysteries: Lost Spirits of Cambodia
Ancient Mysteries: Lost Spirits of Cambodia
DVD ~ Lost Spirits of Cambodia
Offered by jmj-cds
Price: $13.49
18 used & new from $5.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Read a guidebook instead, February 10, 2013
Bought this as a way to help my family get ready for a visit to Angkor Wat. My kids became convinced that temples were going to be boring. It contains some interesting facts but they come across slowly during the video; reading a guidebook out loud would be a better use of time. No subtitles available. Leonard Nimoy is the narrator, if that makes a difference to you.

Polyhedra Dice Games, Grades K-6
Polyhedra Dice Games, Grades K-6
by Don Balka
22 used & new from $9.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes basic-fact drills less boring, November 30, 2009
The book contains 40 games to help memorize various levels of basic math facts. Each game requires some sort of dice, at least two players, and a paper copy of a game "board" that's printed in the book, along with instructions.

If your goal is teaching basic math facts, and you've got at least two kids at roughly the same level, then this book will present ideas for making the drills less boring.

If you're helping just one kid, beware: there are no solitaire games.

If your goal is to teach higher-level problem-solving, or to inspire kids to understand that math is more than basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, then this book won't help.

I usually think of a game as being fun, but this book doesn't contain any games that people would choose to play if they didn't have to. No "Yahtzees" in here.

4M Create A Night Sky Projection Kit
4M Create A Night Sky Projection Kit
Price: $9.97
20 used & new from $4.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Qualty, July 12, 2009
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
The theory is that you

1) Punch holes in a piece of cardboard, according to guides printed on the cardboard,

2) Use two-sided tape to form the cardboard into a dome, then

3) Place the dome on a light, so each hole projects a "star".

Each one of these steps has problems, though.

1) No holepunch was provided, so it's unclear how big to make the holes. Making the holes is tedious.

2) Although the instructions say that two-sided tape is included, in fact my box contained one-sided tape, useless for the intended purpose.

3) I never got to step 3.

Logitech ClearChat Comfort/USB Headset H390 (Black)
Logitech ClearChat Comfort/USB Headset H390 (Black)
Price: $24.95
72 used & new from $13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Easily broken, August 3, 2008
The headset is comfortable, and the sound quality is acceptable. Unfortunately, this product is simply not sturdy. The USB plug came apart the second time I unplugged it, even though I was being gentle. Then, when I accidentally knocked the headset off my 30" desk onto a carpeted floor, the earpiece popped off. I gave up after trying 15 minutes to reattach it. I've never seen such cheap construction in a piece of electronics costing more than $10.

Franklin Rolodex Organizer - 128k
Franklin Rolodex Organizer - 128k
Offered by Auntie Irma's Stuff
Price: $9.15
16 used & new from $4.30

1.0 out of 5 stars Should be categorized as "toy", September 25, 2005
I wanted an inexpensive, small device that I could keep in my backpack with addresses and telephone numbers, and synchronize with a "master" that I'd keep on my PC. So I bought this. First, I learned that the advertised "PC Synchronization" capability requires you to shell out another $7.95 and wait another few weeks for delivery. Second, when I installed the PC Synchronization software on my PC, I learned that it lacks even a rudimentary import or export feature, so I'd have to retype all the 300+ addresses currently in my electronic addressbook. Finally, I learned that there's a limit of about 36 characters on the "address" and "notes" fields of the database, meaning I do not even have room to store enter my own, relatively simple address, let alone a multi-line business address or reasonable notes like the names of people's children or the date that I updated a record.

I'm sure there are more gotchas I could learn if I spent more time working with it, but I don't have more time to waste on this useless piece of electronics.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2014 7:57 AM PDT

Timex T309T Alarm Clock Radio with Nature Sounds (Titanium) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
7 used & new from $42.51

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad User Interface, May 16, 2004
~First, the good stuff: the battery back-up is useful, and the sound is much better than the average clock radio. The problem is that it's almost as hard to use this clock as it is to program a VCR, which is bad news for a device you have to use when you're exhausted. You will have to keep the user's manual next to this clock. Even that may not be enough. Yesterday, manual in hand, it took me several minutes to figure out how to turn the alarm off indefinitely (luckily, turning it off for one~~ day only is much easier, although the distinction between the off-for-a-snooze and the off-for-the-day buttons is non-intuitive). I'm still not entirely sure why I finally could turn the alarm off indefinitely after repeated tries using the sequence described in the manual. I suspect there is an undocumented but required time-delay between pushing one button and pushing a second button that turns the thing off. The other feature that I was surprised by is the time display, which is a backlit~~ LCD rather than an LED. This may be personal taste, but I find LCD simultaneously more intrusive and harder to read in a darkened room. This type of display does look more stylish in daylight, however.~

Statistics for the Utterly Confused (Utterly Confused Series)
Statistics for the Utterly Confused (Utterly Confused Series)
by Lloyd R. Jaisingh
165 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars So-so book, terrible title, September 28, 2002
This book is a decent reference for statistics that don't involve calculus. But there's nothing special about that -- there are plenty of others like it out there. The title creates the impression that it's especially accessible or uses some special technique to de-mystify the subject. There is NONE of that sort of sexiness inside the two covers. Just a lot of dry statistics. I suspect that someone at the publisher tried to jazz up an otherwise boring textbook by writing some breathless back-cover copy and putting cute logos on the section headings inside.

Set Your Wedding to Music
Set Your Wedding to Music
Price: $13.07
21 used & new from $0.24

2.0 out of 5 stars Too cheesy, April 1, 2002
I'm not sure why anyone would be interested in this item. If you're looking for original, out-of-the-ordinary songs for a wedding, then it's not appropriate, because most of the recorded songs are the classics. If you're looking for great new renditions of the classics, look elsewhere -- the ones here are cheaply produced. The book contains a list of songs, but then again that information could be found on the web or provided by any DJ. There are a couple of songs on the CD you might not otherwise think of, but they're too cheesy, at least for my taste.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Unparalleled News and Analysis, October 26, 2001
If you want a single weekly to keep you up to speed with what's going on in the world, and "Time" or "Newsweek" leaves you feeling hungry for fresher ideas and less facile analysis, get "The Economist". If you're like me, you won't have time to read every issue cover to cover, but you'll wish you did. Informed, concise, and witty writing.

Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine (1-year)
Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine (1-year)
Price: $12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for all levels of investment experience, October 26, 2001
I've read other personal finance magazines before and found them to be either too basic to be worth my time, or too focused on some obscure area. I'm not a financial professional, but I like to constantly increase my knowledge of personal finance. Kiplinger's has been great for that. I skip 80% of the articles in this magazine, but that still leaves one or two in every issue that teach me about an area I didn't know about -- where to buy bonds online the most cheaply, how to find good financial advice, why options are priced the way they are. One good article pays for the entire annual subscription. Each issue has a wide range of articles appealing to lots of levels of experience.