Profile for James Fay > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James Fay RSS Feed (Baltimore, MD)

Page: 1 | 2
Visions of Adventure: N. C. Wyeth and the Brandywine Artists
Visions of Adventure: N. C. Wyeth and the Brandywine Artists
by N. C. Wyeth
30 used & new from $18.90

5.0 out of 5 stars ... of classic novels in high school and I always liked the ones illustrated by N, February 26, 2015
I remember reading a number of classic novels in high school and I always liked the ones illustrated by N.C. Wyeth. This book as many of his illustrations, along with those of other illustrators. It's a great addition to my coffee table library.

The Sante Fe Trail
The Sante Fe Trail
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Warner Brothers version of John Brown and Harper's Ferry., February 25, 2015
I've always enjoyed the Warner Brothers epics directed by Michael Curtiz. It doesn't matter that it's an historical mash-up. You have to love a story that has most of the famous Civil War generals from both sides as classmates. This is an exciting story with several excellent action sequences. Raymond Massey is terrific as John Brown. There's a love triangle between Jeb Stuart, George Custer and "Kit Carson" Holliday [Errol Flynn, Ronald Reagan and Olivia de Havilland] - only in Hollywood. My only complaint is that the print looked like a third-generation VHS tape.

Hanes Men's Thermal Pants (XL) Natural
Hanes Men's Thermal Pants (XL) Natural
Offered by AMAZE deals
5 used & new from $7.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Wearing Them Right Now, December 12, 2014
Very comfortable and great for walking the dog early in the morning.

Nutramax Cosequin DS PLUS MSM Chewable Tablets - 132 Count
Nutramax Cosequin DS PLUS MSM Chewable Tablets - 132 Count
Price: $34.95
32 used & new from $34.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Cosequin has really helped my dog, a 10-year-old yellow ..., November 30, 2014
Cosequin has really helped my dog, a 10-year-old yellow Lab named Lola. She is more active on our walks and when playing in the dog park.

The Sand Pebbles (RosettaBooks into Film)
The Sand Pebbles (RosettaBooks into Film)
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars ... was in high school in the mid-60's and really liked it. I tried it again and was still ..., November 22, 2014
I read "The Sand Pebbles" when I was in high school in the mid-60's and really liked it. I tried it again and was still impressed. There was a lot I'd forgotten in nearly 50 years, so it was like reading it for the first time. It was written at the time we were starting to really get involved in Vietnam and covers the culture clash between American sailors and an eastern culture in the 1920's. There is also the rise of Chinese nationalism, which is like nationalist movements all over the world, especially since the end of WWII. This is a well-written book worth re-reading.

Bayer Advantix II, Extra Large Dogs, Over 55-Pound, 4-Month
Bayer Advantix II, Extra Large Dogs, Over 55-Pound, 4-Month
Price: $44.08
19 used & new from $35.99

4.0 out of 5 stars K9 Advantix II did the trick for my yellow Lab ..., October 30, 2014
K9 Advantix II did the trick for my yellow Lab Lola. I've started applying it once a month, per the instructions.

Train
Train
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Train is one of my favorite WWII movies, July 24, 2014
This review is from: Train (Amazon Instant Video)
The Train is one of my favorite WWII movies. I saw it as a teenager when it came out and watch it periodically. I recently saw The Monuments Men and decided to see this again and it still does not disappoint. I don't think you could see a movie today where they actually wreck three trains. Burt Lancaster does all his own stunts. It's shot in black & white. What more could you want.

Midnight in Paris [HD]
Midnight in Paris [HD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Whimsical, Romantic Movie, June 24, 2014
This movie had me from the opening shots of Paris. Owen Wilson is fine as a frustrated screenwriter who aspires to be something more like his literary heros from the '20's. He's on vacation in Paris with his fiancee and her family and while wandering around by himself one night gets picked up and taken to a party taking place in another time. This is the best thing Woody Allen has done in a while. Owen Wilson says the lines, but you can hear Woody Allen in them. And it had me researching some of the people he meets.

Flashman and the Redskins
Flashman and the Redskins
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $10.27

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Flashman's, June 17, 2014
I finished rereading "Little Big Man" and decided to re-read "Flashman and the Redskins," which covers some of the same ground in the second half of the book.[It would have been very interesting to have Flashman and Jack Crabb meet.] I've enjoyed all the Flashman books and was sorry when the author died several years ago. This novel covers events roughly twenty-five years apart - the California Gold Rush and Custer's Last Stand. Of course Flashman meets the greats and near-greats in his travels - everyone from Geronimo and Crazy Horse to Kit Carson and Custer. Flashman has no illusions about himself and honestly reports on all his misdeeds, which usually occur because he's covering his own rear end. I recommend all the Flashman novels. They're very entertaining and you'll learn a little history. My only regret in this book is that Flashman mentions his Civil War adventures when he fought for both the North AND the South and that book never got written.

Sahara [HD]
Sahara [HD]
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes Me Want to Pull a "Panama", June 8, 2014
This review is from: Sahara [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
I've enjoyed this movie ever since I first saw it one morning in a Cincinnati hotel room while I was nursing a hangover. It seems fitting that it's my first purchase as a Prime customer. It's too bad there wasn't a sequel. Matthew McConaughey and Steve Zahn have great chemistry and Penelope Cruz is very good as the damsel in distress, although she saves McConaughey more than once. Catch this whenever you can.

Page: 1 | 2