Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports
Profile for Scott > Reviews

Browse

Scott's Profile

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott RSS Feed (United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Zhongyi Mitakon Turbo II Focal Reducer Booster Adapter Nikon F AI Lens to Sony E NEX Camera
Offered by primacy
Price: $180.99
3 used & new from $155.40

5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Link for Sony NEX on a Budget, October 21, 2014
Focal reducers intensify the light passing thru the lens, create the effect of reducing the focal length of the lens, thereby producing a wider angle of view, and allowing greater control over depth of field.

Camera manufacturers offer cropped -- APS-C and micro 4/3 -- sensors in order to bring affordable cameras of good image quality to the market. Unlike the other manufacturers of cropped sensor cameras, Sony has been unable to bring reasonable quality lenses to the market at affordable prices to complement their excellent, affordable cameras. Couple that with excellent manual focus capability, and the budget solution is to use non-Sony lenses via adapters, on Sony mirrorless camera bodies.

Using legacy lenses alone on Sony mirrorless cameras is weak in two areas: (1) wide angle; and (2) shallow depth of field. Focal reducers largely solve both of these problems permitting you to achieve the optical effects of the lens, almost as it was designed for its particular focal length on a full frame sensor, without paying the full frame price.

If you need those optical features for your Sony NEX camera, then your choice of focal reducer will largely depend on your budget -- just like buying a lens. The results I've seen from the Metabones Speed Booster are superlative, but it's outside my budget. Zhongyi Mitakon Lens Turbo II is a great value alternative within my budget.

I have used Sony NEX 5n for around two years, using legacy lenses for all but one month of that time. I have only owned a Sony native lens, the PZ 16-50mm, for that one month. I sold that to buy the Lens Turbo II. I was disappointed with the poor quality of the Sony kit lens, and my only legacy lens was a Kiron 28mm f/2.0 with Nikon F mount -- for that to work, I needed the wider angle, and greater control over depth of field than what I was getting on the APS-C sensor. So that would be the "Pros" of the Zhongyi Mitakon Lens Turbo II: It allows me to use my lens as it was designed, on a very capable digital camera body, with excellent manual focus capabilities.

Now for the caveats:

-Strong vignetting when shooting with the aperture wide open, which disappears by about 1-1.5 stops down. I'm not sure how much of this is caused by the lens and how much is caused by the Lens Turbo. I did notice some vignette shooting a few samples with the Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4D wide open, but it looks less pronounced than on my Kiron. Appears to be even less shooting the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI wide open. Vignetting is also apparent with ND filters and wide angle lens hood on my Kiron -- Improves on stopping down.

-Sharpness. Images do appear softer using the Lens Turbo than not, but certainly no softer than the PZ 16-50 kit zoom. As with the kit zoom, RAW images sharpen nicely in post processing.

-Flaring. The Lens Turbo II is supposed to be improved over the original version in this regard -- after shooting my first 250 photos with it, I've only noticed flaring in the worst conditions of bright light source(s) near the middle of the frame. I generally try to keep light sources out of my photos, so this is not a problem for me.

-White balance. I've noticed some inconsistencies in AWB performance in bright light, at wider apertures, especially using ND filters. This is easily fixed in post processing.

So why do I give it five stars, despite the imperfections? Because I love it -- it allows me to use my favorite value lens almost exactly as it was designed, on a great camera, all at a price I can afford -- and that makes me happy!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2015 11:11 PM PST

Sony SEL16F28 16mm f/2.8 Wide-Angle Lens for NEX Series Cameras
Sony SEL16F28 16mm f/2.8 Wide-Angle Lens for NEX Series Cameras
Price: $248.00
24 used & new from $135.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Unacceptable Complex, Wavy/Mustache Distortion, August 20, 2014
I've tried a copy of the Sony 16mm f2.8 in a shop and taken test shots using my own Sony NEX 5n, shooting RAW only, and converting to DNG on import into Adobe Lightroom. I have taken care of the softness issues and chromatic aberration in post processing. I also apply the "lens correction" profile in Lightroom, to help with the pin cushion distortion. I still seem to get horizontal lines in the top half of the image that droop -- wavy or mustache distortion of a most complex type.

This is quite a conundrum for someone on a low budget. Micro 4/3 has much better wide angle alternatives -- Panasonic GM-1 + 12-32mm kit lens is a great value, and I've actually played with one in the camera shop, but I've got a Sony NEX 5n. Selling the Sony would not generate nearly enough cash to pay for the Panny kit, at present.

With those budgetary constraints in mind, I checked a few more reviews. Soundimageplus is a great source. More to the point of the "drooping horizontal lines" I mentioned, this review shows an example of something hauntingly similar:

So I believe it becomes a question of whether I want to go for a psychedelic aesthetic in my photography (I use wide angle to shoot 98-99% or more of my photos).

That leaves me two viable low cost alternatives -- maybe three:

1. Sigma 19mm f2.8 for NEX

2. Nikon 20mm f2.8, via the Nikon F to Sony E mount adapter.

3. Tamron 17mm f3.5 adapt-all, via adapter.

Seems like the Sigma makes the most sense, but I'm not entirely convinced -- I prefer a wider angle.

I have used the Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 with Leica M mount successfully (correcting out purple color casting in the sky in landscapes using Photo Ninja). This lens is outside my budget -- indeed, if I could afford the Voigtlander, I would rather sell off my Sony gear and switch to Panasonic.

In summary, after nearly three years of shooting with the Panasonic G3, Sony RX100 (original version), and Sony NEX 5n, though Sony mirrorless is a superior camera and an excellent value, wide angle lens options are severely limited, especially on a budget. If you shoot wide angle, though micro 4/3 image quality is clearly not on par with Sony E-mount in studio tests taken with normal lenses, the wide angle lens options are far superior, at all price levels.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 9:48 PM PDT

Fotodiox Macro Extension Tube Set for Extreme Close-up for Micro Four Thirds Cameras
Price: $15.67
3 used & new from $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge value for the price!, December 22, 2013
These cheap little extension tubes are great with m43 and manual focus (MF) legacy lenses. I do not do much close up or macro photography -- certainly not enough to justify buying a lens for that purpose. Still, on a rare occasion, I want to get close up for a photo. So I mount my MF lens on a m43 adapter, mount the adapter to the extension tube, mount the camera on a tripod, focus and shoot. The caveat is, focusing is extremely difficult -- even with the lens stopped down, depth of field is only a few millimeters. If you're photographing extremely close up, you need to have a ton of patience to get the focus down -- practice helps.

I like the three screwable levels of this extension tube (caution: do NOT screw them together too tightly). They give you three different distances you could shoot from. For me, I only used the furthest setup -- that was already very close up for me, and I only use occasionally.

If you want to experiment and give close up a try, or if, like me, you normally photograph other stuff but want a tool for that occasional extreme close-up, without putting up a lot of cash -- this is the way to go. Get your feet wet, as it were.

Finally, I would re-emphasize, I have ONLY used this product with legacy manual focus glass on micro 4/3. I've got a Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.4, and a Kiron 28mm f2.0 (Nikon F mount). I don't know how the extension tube would work with digital lenses -- such a setup doesn't make sense to me.

Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide)

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition -- AWFUL!, January 11, 2013
The Kindle edition is terrible. I used to carry Lonely Planet books in my suitcase, then replaced them with PDFs for lighter travel. Recently, I have bought the Kindle versions for Thailand and also for Laos (the latter includes other countries as well). Both are EXTREMELY DIFFICULT AND CUMBERSOME TO USE. My strong dislike for the Kindle format causes me not to use the guides when I otherwise would, and also makes me likely to procrastinate my travel planning -- serious disadvantages to the Kindle version. In brief, navigation is downright user unfriendly.

Example:

I am currently in Laos, flying to BKK tomorrow & I need to find a Lonely Planet recommended hotel near the airport. In the paper edition, it was simple: Open to BKK, and move to the "Sleeping" section, then look for recommendations near the airport. Likewise for the PDF version available at Lonely Planet. With the Kindle version, I've been leafing through for about 20 minutes, and I'm just now getting to Bangkok Sleeping information. It is found at "Location 2589 of 32287".

Call me dense if you must, but how in the world can I manage 32,287 "locations"? I don't even know what a "location" is, much less how anybody can think that thirty-two thousand of them are in any way useful. Paper and PDF pages seem to work just fine. Likewise for clickable contents or even searchable text -- I can't for the life of me figure out how to use these on the Kindle version.

So I am writing this strongly negative review -- and I still don't know which hotel or guesthouse I'll be staying in BKK tomorrow! Using paper or PDF editions, I'd have already made my decision by now. As it stands -- I'm still looking for the correct "location" among 32,287...??

I pause, take another five minutes -- I'm up to a half hour just trying to find the page or "location" for airport area hotels. Finally, on "location" 3437 -- after moving thru some 848 "locations", there appears to be a clickable link to airport area hotels. Let's see if that works! It does... so after a half hour of navigating, I've finally arrived at the "location" I'm looking for. Now, I can begin to look for a place to sleep. With paper or PDF editions, I'd already be finished and doing something much more interesting with my travel time!

If I can save one person from the frustration I have endured in using the Lonely Planet Kindle edition, then the time spent writing this review is surely worth it.

Patriot Supersonic Magnum PEF128GSMNUSB 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Patriot Supersonic Magnum PEF128GSMNUSB 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Offered by langton_distribution_
Price: $141.19
4 used & new from $141.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Super small, light weight, mobile and fast!, November 18, 2012
Patriot Memory Supersonic Magnum 128 GB Flash Drive. Ultra small, light, mobile, and no moving parts. For maximum mobility.

HP folio 13 ultra thin notebook. Light weight, gets the job done admirably.

Iomega eGo Portable Hard Drive, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, 1TB, Ruby Red. My main storage drive for over one year, but it is nearly full. For that reason, I will switch it from primary to backup.

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5 TB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive. Bought a larger drive recently, but haven't fully implemented it. My plan is to make this my main storage drive, because it has greater capacity than the eGo, and switch eGo to backup drive. Non-essential elements will not be backed up, due to storage limitations on the eGo.

StarTech 6-Feet SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Extension Cable. For use with the Patriot flash drive.

Uspeed USB 3.0 7 Port Hub with 3ft USB 3.0 Cable and Power Adapter. Connects my external storage devices. I do not need 7 ports, but chose this drive over a 4 port because the ports are too close together. I use ports 1, 3, 5, and 7. The 7 port hub is very light weight.

Anker® Astro3 10000mAh Multi-voltage 5V / 9V / 12V 2A External Battery Pack. I travel to many places with occasional power outages. Whenever I use the USB 3 hub, I plug it into the Anker Astro3, and plug the Anker into the wall. IMPORTANT: The 7 port hub has a 12 Volt input, which works with this Anker. Most hubs are 5 Volts, and the connections to the spare battery pack do NOT work. Use this recommended combination for maximum reliability and functionality!

Instapark MP3450E 13,500 mAh External Battery Pack. I use this battery pack as backup for my laptop. The laptop battery lasts about 4 hours; the Instapark adds about another three to four hours of power. For even more juice, you can add a second battery to the Instapark pack, doubling the capacity to 27,000 mAh. I have not done this, simply because I don't need so much back up power and do not want to double the battery weight.

C. Crane US3 Super USB Wifi Antenna 3. Long range, high power USB wifi antenna. When I stay in hotels, I normally choose the room farthest from the reception, and therefore farthest from the wifi router. This antenna makes fast wifi connection possible.

Tripp Lite U026-016 USB2.0 16-Feet Certified Active Extension Cable. This cable has a built-in signal amplifier, for best results with USB modems & wifi antennas.

Otherwise, I use a fast Microsoft mouse, with wired USB connection, and a portable Philips speaker.

I have been living in different places around the world for 17 years, and the above is what my mobile office suite has evolved into. My current abode is in a boat-only access area, with power outages more frequent than I'd like during the rainy season. I have reliable backups on all my data, in case of loss or damage. I have a 4G USB modem from the local phone company, which is powered from my notebook. I have about seven hours of power supply; so far, the most I've needed has been five... and everything worked like a charm.

Anker 2nd Generation Astro Pro Series AK-79AN7905-BA 15000mAh 3-Port USB  External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for Smartphones, Tablets and Cameras - Black
Anker 2nd Generation Astro Pro Series AK-79AN7905-BA 15000mAh 3-Port USB External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for Smartphones, Tablets and Cameras - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, lightweight and reliable!, November 18, 2012
Anker® Astro3 10000mAh Multi-voltage 5V / 9V / 12V 2A External Battery Pack. I travel to many places with occasional power outages. This can cause problems if I'm transferring data between USB 3 storage devices plugged into my hub when an outage occurs. Whenever I use the USB 3 hub, I plug it into the Anker Astro3, and plug the Anker into the wall. IMPORTANT: The 7 port hub has a 12 Volt input, which works with this Anker. Most hubs are 5 Volts, and the connections to the spare battery pack do NOT work. Use this recommended combination for maximum reliability and functionality!

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: Battery exploded after less than one year of use., November 18, 2012
UPDATE: September 8, 2013:

I bought this battery about a year ago, used it during rainy season in Guatemala -- worked great (I will leave my original comments, below). I left rural Lake Atitlan, susceptible to frequent power outages, and lived in three different cities for nine months. Now, I'm living in the countryside again, and after the first power outage, I pulled my Instapark out of my suitcase, charged it up, and left it on my desk, ready to plug in if necessary. After the second use, with the battery still plugged in, I heard a pop while sitting at my computer -- didn't know what it was. During the next power outage, I noticed my computer was showing it was running on battery power, not plugged in, as is usually the case when it's plugged into the wall or the Instapark. I examined the Instapark, noticed the plastic cover was bulging, and the battery was discharged and would not hold a charge. The pop I had heard was a small explosion, and the battery failed. So, once again, I am without backup battery power during rainy season. The product worked great while it lasted, but I feel it failed way to soon to justify purchase -- so, sadly, I have to recommend AGAINST the Instapark battery pack. It failed me after only a few months of use (and nine months being stored). Not acceptable.

Instapark MP3450E 13,500 mAh External Battery Pack. I use this battery pack FOR ONLY ONE PURPOSE: As backup for my laptop. The laptop battery lasts about 4 hours; the Instapark adds about another three to four hours of power. For even more juice, you can add a second battery to the Instapark pack, doubling the capacity to 27,000 mAh. I have not done this, simply because I don't need so much back up power and do not want to double the battery weight.

I would like to address some of the negative reviews. Yes, Instapark's product description as a do-it-all battery pack is confusing, perhaps even misleading. Indeed, I hesitated for MONTHS before finally buying this battery pack. Here's the key factor: This battery pack is primarily designed as a backup battery for your laptop; any other use is secondary at best. Other battery packs, such as one of the Ankers, are definitely better suited for charging gadgets. The Instapark, however, is best for laptops.

Bottom line: For laptops, get this Instapark! For gadgets, get an Anker or other alternative designed primarily for them. See my usage setup below as an example. I have two battery packs -- don't expect any one battery pack to "do it all".

HP folio 13 ultra thin notebook. Light weight, gets the job done admirably.

C. Crane US3 Super USB Wifi Antenna 3. Object of the current review. Long range, high power USB wifi antenna. When I stay in hotels, I normally choose the room farthest from the reception, and therefore farthest from the wifi router. This antenna makes fast wifi connection possible.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2013 1:02 PM PDT

Anker AH121 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 36W Power Adapter [12V 3A High-Capacity Power Supply and VIA VL812 Chipset]
Offered by AnkerDirect

Offered by C. Crane
Price: $69.99
5 used & new from $55.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Long Range High Power USB Wifi Antenna, November 18, 2012
The C. Crane US3 Super USB Wifi Antenna 3 is a long range, high power USB wifi antenna. When I stay in hotels, I normally choose the room farthest from the reception, and therefore farthest from the wifi router. This antenna makes fast wifi connection possible.

HP folio 13 ultra thin notebook. Light weight, gets the job done admirably.

Uspeed USB 3.0 7 Port Hub with 3ft USB 3.0 Cable and Power Adapter. Connects my external devices. I do not need 7 ports, but chose this drive over a 4 port because the ports are too close together. I use ports 1, 3, 5, and 7. The 7 port hub is very light weight.

Iomega eGo Portable Hard Drive, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, 1TB, Ruby Red (35684)
Iomega eGo Portable Hard Drive, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, 1TB, Ruby Red (35684)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable Hard Drive for Every Day Use and Travel, November 18, 2012
The Iomega eGo Portable Hard Drive has been my main data storage space since I bought mine in southern Mexico in May, 2011. It worked fine on my old USB 2 computer, and even faster on my new laptop with a USB 3 connection. My travel needs are extraordinary, and this hard drive definitely works. My set up is as follows:

HP folio 13 ultra thin notebook. Light weight, gets the job done admirably.

Iomega eGo Portable Hard Drive, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, 1TB, Ruby Red. Object of the current review. My main storage drive for over one year, but it is nearly full. For that reason, I will switch it from primary to backup.

Page: 1 | 2