Profile for JoshJosh > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 86

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JoshJosh RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $41.99
100 used & new from $30.81

1.0 out of 5 stars A scam product Microsoft rushed out to squeeze some money from their most loyal fans, January 22, 2015
I am a long time Halo fan. I got the Xbox for Christmas in 2001 with a copy of Combat Evolved and played the series diligently since. I loved the 360 entries - Halo 3, ODST, Reach, and 4 were all great great games I had tons of fun with. I even bought and played through Combat Evolved Anniversary and enjoyed the MP they put in that one. So, needless to say, I was as excited for this release as I could possibly be for a game at my age. I preordered it and eagerly loaded it up on day one. Sure enough, the single player Halo in HD and 60fps looked great. The Halo games in single player are the best around, so you really can't beat a package with four exemplary singleplayer experiences (with a fifth to come later, ODST). Multiplayer though? Nothing? Yea, nothing. The multiplayer in this game was totally, completely busted. Even now, two months later, the best I can say is that it basically works most of the time. However, it's not even close to what Microsoft promised and claimed.

As a jaded old gamer, I find my gut emotions about this release to be quite surprising. I feel like Microsoft straight up lied to their biggest fans and supporters by hastily shipping a non-working product. I can't believe they treated their signature franchise this way, and I was so upset I didn't even go near the Halo 5 beta in spite of the positive reception it has gotten. I've seriously considered selling my Xbox One and sticking with PS4, just because I don't want to support a company that will do this to their fans. It's awful. Don't buy this game.

Fender Mustang I V2 20-Watt 1x8-Inch Combo Electric Guitar Amplifier
Fender Mustang I V2 20-Watt 1x8-Inch Combo Electric Guitar Amplifier
Price: $119.99
15 used & new from $108.00

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a really cool little amp, September 3, 2014
This is a really cool little amp. For $120 it is pretty incredible the range of tones and styles you can get. That's why I bought it, actually. Go on Youtube and you can see some of the great sounds that can come from the amp. The problem is that it is so wide-open, that it can do so much, that it can just be flat out confusing to use. If you don't like the defaults you can go in and fiddle with them, but it's somewhat finicky to use. The manual is okay, but without a full grasp of what you are doing you can make the problem much worse.

Thankfully, you can bypass the knob business entirely and use the provided Fender FUSE software. The software is actually way better than what one would expect from a guitar company. It's easy to pull down the different amps, add effects, save to the amp, etc. It's very WYSIWYG - as you move the selector knob on the amp, the FUSE software updates with it. You really can see, through FUSE, exactly how the amp is set up to play.

This is a cool feature and it probably makes it a must-own for anybody who wants to mess around and chase tones. I think it also has some cool fuzzy distorted tones so if you intend to play metal, this is probably a great starter amp. But for someone who just wants to plug in an amp and play, I'm not sure the amp is a great fit. I'm fiddling around with it constantly, always thinking a better sound is just around the corner. That's probably a matter of psychology more than anything else, but it keeps me from being fully satisfied. My next amp will probably be a fairly basic tube amp.

Dell Computer Dell Portable Backup Harddrive-1TB (784-BBBE)
Dell Computer Dell Portable Backup Harddrive-1TB (784-BBBE)
Offered by Nation Mart
Price: $94.99
5 used & new from $84.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Good no frills, affordable laptop backup drive, August 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's not a ton to say about this hard drive. It's cheap, it's 1TB, it's USB 3. It is configured for Windows but can be reformatted to run on a Mac or, I imagine, Xbox One. It's a rebranded Seagate with the associated Seagate software which I never use (I hate the manufacturer software). It works as expected, but Seagate has had reliability issues in the past so I wouldn't use it as my main backup solution.

D'Addario NS Micro Universal Tuner
D'Addario NS Micro Universal Tuner
Price: $16.12
15 used & new from $9.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Works and looks great, August 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I can clip this tuner onto my headstock and the bright, easy to read screen will tell me exactly what I need to do with no fuss. It clips tightly (unlike other reviews, mine has a nice spring with plenty of tension) and it has a movable neck that lets me position it any way I want. It didn't come with any documentation and it doesn't really need any. It also has a built-in metronome, but I don't much see the point in that, since it just blinks. It's much better to just spend $15 on a proper clicking metronome. If I have any complaints, it's that the degree of precision on the display is less than what I have seen in other (larger) headstock tuners and my old Korg GA-40. That's what happens with such a small tuner, I guess. Still, it works great for me.

D'Addario NYXL1046 Nickel Plated Electric Guitar Strings, Light
D'Addario NYXL1046 Nickel Plated Electric Guitar Strings, Light
Price: $11.99
27 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good guitar strings., July 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These strings sound good. I've been using Ernie Balls lately but I do like these. They sound bright and I can play them with ease. I'm not an expert or even really an intermediate player so I cannot comment further. I'd buy them again.

The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap
The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap
by Matt Taibbi
Price: $19.71
94 used & new from $7.70

4.0 out of 5 stars crazy justice system in the age of inequality, July 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been reading Taibbi for a while, this book is right up there with his other work. The Divide is focused on the insanity of the current justice system. Taibbi's contention is that there are two justice systems in this country, one in which the relatively poor and powerless get monitored and punished severely while the rich and powerful act with impunity. He backs this up with powerful and depressing stories, like the one where a vagrant went to jail for smoking a joint in the park while a giant bank that laundered away billions of dollars of drug money can get away with something so slight that it makes a slap on the wrist look like Supermax.

It's a sad story, but I feel it's an important one, and it crosses party lines and something that should trouble every American.

Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse (L6V-00001)
Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse (L6V-00001)
Price: $28.99
74 used & new from $26.09

1.0 out of 5 stars Most uncomfortable mouse, July 1, 2014
I really can't make it any more simple. This is the most uncomfortable mouse I've ever used. I have an Apple Magic Mouse that gave me less problems. I was really looking forward to it. I tried every hand position I could but my wrist ended up in pain every time. Not debilitating, but more pain than I am comfortable with (which is, to say, any amount of pain). I tried to give it 30 days... then 7... then 3... it was just awful. I'm a big fan of Microsoft's stuff but this is a dud.

Rick Steves’ Amsterdam, Bruges & Brussels
Rick Steves’ Amsterdam, Bruges & Brussels
by Rick Steves
Price: $14.39
78 used & new from $10.56

5.0 out of 5 stars It helped me out, May 31, 2014
I used this book on a recent trip to Brussels and Amsterdam. This book actually talks about other areas in the BeNeLux region, including Delft, Flanders Fields, Ghent, The Hague, etc., so it's probably worth at least a look if you're not necessarily going to the cities named in the title.

This book is up to the usual standards. I am a big fan of Steves' work. Any mistakes I make in my travel usually come from deviating from his advice and instructions. Rick and his partners clearly love and respect these areas and go out of their way to help tourists really experience them. The history sections are always well written and enjoyable. The tips on traveling and getting tickets saves time, time I can spend enjoying the sights. The walkthroughs on museums and cities are really helpful and flesh out the experience. I can honestly say this book enhanced my vacation and that's exactly what I want it to do.

That's how I used this book. I didn't use it so much for restaurants and hotels. But for everything else I find them extremely useful and enjoyable to read. If anything, this one just gave me motivation to go back!

South Park:  The Stick of Truth - Playstation 3
South Park: The Stick of Truth - Playstation 3
Price: $28.99
92 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars everything I could have expected, May 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Stick of Truth is the first big release South Park game in over 10 years. When the show hit, Acclaim released a bunch of dreadful titles on N64 and PlayStation without the involvement of Trey and Matt and it showed. This time around, Trey and Matt got involved and the end result is a really good, funny game.

First of all, as a South Park product, this is amazing. The voice acting is great. The town looks amazing. The in-jokes and references are constant and hilarious. The story and writing are spot-on. The graphics are perfect - it looks just like a TV episode. I haven't watched many episodes the past few years, but the in-jokes liberally reference the entire run of the show.

As a videogame, it's not amazing, but it's very good. The game plays like a Mario & Luigi title. If you have played those games you will feel right at home here. There is an overworld to explore along with a simple turn-based combat system. The combat system uses a small set of skills and there is an element of timing in both offense and defense. It's a pretty easy game, maybe too easy, but the developers may have wanted the focus to be on the story than on the combat.

Unlike most Obsidian games, this game is stable and smooth. Outside of some framerate problems on the PS3 version I am playing, I see no bugs or issues. This game really is a lot of fun, and I highly recommend it to South Park fans. If you, say, really like Mario & Luigi but have never watched an episode of South Park, I would say that you probably should watch it before you buy this. While this is a good game, it is first and foremost a South Park product.

Clapton: The Autobiography
Clapton: The Autobiography
by Eric Clapton
494 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting look at a flawed and talented person, May 9, 2014
I was born in the 1980's and the first time I heard of Clapton was when his son passed away. As much as I can appreciate his work on albums like "From the Cradle" and "Me and Mr. Johnson" (I'm a big RJ fan), this 1990s and 2000s work does not fill me with the love and admiration that I see, say, my father has for him. Reading this book gave some insight into that person, for all his flaws and strengths. It's a truly interesting story. This man had skill, talent, work ethic, some good luck.

Clapton is quite candid throughout, including childhood embarrassments, the way he burned through women, his reckless addictions, his iffy relationships with some of his contemporaries, and the poor work he put in while addicted. In the end he clearly feels triumphant, as I suppose he has a right to. I'll be honest, sometimes his attitude grates, I can't say I would like to be friends with him. I do give him credit for putting it out there and leaving the rough edges for everyone to see. That's why I give the book a high score.

Right after I read this book I downloaded the album he did with the Bluesbreakers and was utterly blown away. Now I get it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9