Profile for CountFergula > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

CountFergula RSS Feed

North and South
North and South

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story...but errors aplenty, December 31, 2011
This review is from: North and South (Kindle Edition)
For the book itself, five stars all the way around. I decided to read the book after watching the wonderful BBC miniseries, and I was not disappointed.

For the actual e-book text itself, one star. Lots of errors and strange formatting. It's a free version, so I was willing to put up with the small errors, as they didn't really affect my enjoyment. But there were certainly a few times that the errors were glaring and interfered with understanding (as previous reviewers have already mentioned).

This was my first "purchase" for my new Kindle, and I was a little disappointed. I guess I've learend my lesson about the free e-books.

Little Girls, Big Style: Sew a Boutique Wardrobe from 4 Easy Patterns
Little Girls, Big Style: Sew a Boutique Wardrobe from 4 Easy Patterns
by Mary Abreu
Price: $17.77
51 used & new from $6.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beginners!, January 10, 2011
Although I am quite crafty in other ways, I had never been a machine sewer until I got a sewing machine last Christmas. The machine sat in a box until this Christmas, when my husband got me a copy of this book. What an amazing gift! I quite literally went from taking the machine out of the box to having a finished skirt for my daughter in less than four hours--and that included setting the machine up!

What sets this book apart from commercially-prepared patterns is that it actually explains what you're supposed to do, with great pictures to illustrate. There's an illustrated reference section in the front about various sewing techniques that's invaluable for a beginner. I suppose if you're an experienced sewer, that's not a big deal, but I found it to be EXTREMELY helpful, and I have consulted it often.

I can see how more advanced sewers might find this book a little "basic," but I found it to be totally approachable, non-intimidating, and easy to follow. The patterns are simple, but the resulting projects don't look that way. What a great way to build confidence and skills!

Since Christmas, I've made three of the skirt patterns, and am just starting on one of the "basic bodice" tops. Every project I've finished has looked just as cute as the pictures, and that makes me proud and fires me up to try the next pattern and make something else for my daughter.

The only downside: I think I'm addicted to sewing now, and I've spent far too much money on fabric to make cute things!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2011 8:34 PM PDT