Profile for S Martin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 124

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S Martin RSS Feed (Oregon)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Leg Avenue Women's Cozy Dragon, Black, X-Large
Leg Avenue Women's Cozy Dragon, Black, X-Large
Price: $35.09
3 used & new from $34.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Runs Small, still cute, November 3, 2014
I purchased this assuming I wouldn't fit into it. I wanted to use the parts of it to make a different costume. When it arrived, I tried it on. It took help, but I actually fit into it. I'm a big person too, so I didn't expect it to fit at all. The result was not flattering, there's no way I would have worn it in public.

The dress is made of fleece, so it's very warm and soft. The zipper is silver, not black, so it shows up. The hood has a double lining, presumably to keep your hair from getting caught in the eyes. The eyes are strange, they're like a ball cut in half and covered with fabric. They're kind of cute, but look out of place. They're held in place with a ring under the first level of fabric, so you can pop them off if you want.

I salvaged all the spikes, the wings, and the tail, and put them on a hoodie. I was able to control the size and comfort level, and it worked well for me. I don't think the dress would work, but for parts it was great.

Darth Vader and Son Postcard Book
Darth Vader and Son Postcard Book
by Jeffrey Brown
Edition: Cards
Price: $9.95
75 used & new from $1.73

5.0 out of 5 stars They're also excellent quality, printed on a thick cardstock, September 10, 2014
These are really cute postcards. They're also excellent quality, printed on a thick cardstock.

I think the Vader's Little Princess postcards are neater, but I always preferred Leia to Luke, so maybe I'm biased.

My only complaint? They're just slightly larger than 4" x 6" so it makes finding an envelope to mail them in (if I do that) difficult.

Vitafusion Power C Gummy Vitamins, 300 Count orange
Vitafusion Power C Gummy Vitamins, 300 Count orange
Offered by VitaMoment
Price: $20.79
23 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tasting vitamin C, September 10, 2014
Funnily enough, the company I work for hauls these gummies to many places across the United States. I've delivered the ingredients that go into them, and hauled the finished product away to be distributed in stores. I guess you could say that's why I decided to give them a try.

I like chewable vitamin C, but I had 2 problems with most of the ones that are out there: they're often sugar free (which I can't have), or they're too hard. I don't want to damage my teeth chewing on one. With these, I don't have to worry about either problem.

They taste great, and I leave them for last of my vitamins, because the orange flavor is just that good. 2 gummies supply 400% of your vitamin C for the day, so when I couple them with a multivitamin (also a gummy) I'm adequately supplied with vitamin C.

Vader's Little Princess 30 Postcards (Darth Vader and Son)
Vader's Little Princess 30 Postcards (Darth Vader and Son)
by Jeffrey Brown
Edition: Card Book
Price: $9.81
62 used & new from $3.95

Atake Music Fountain Mini Amplifier Dancing Water Speakers I-station7 Apple Speakers [Black]

3.0 out of 5 stars Broke within 6 weeks, August 9, 2014
I bought a set of these for my grandmother. I'm glad they were inexpensive, because one of them quit working within 6 weeks of getting them. I ended up ordering a second set, so she could have sound and dancing water out of both.

Also, the cord for these is really, really short, so if you're using them for a desktop computer, you have to be careful how they're positioned, or they'll be behind your monitor.

Red A6 Envelopes, 4 3/4" x 6 1/2" - 100 Envelopes
Red A6 Envelopes, 4 3/4" x 6 1/2" - 100 Envelopes
Offered by Limited Papers
Price: $15.00
4 used & new from $6.80

5.0 out of 5 stars They're a great bright red, August 9, 2014
Exactly what I needed. They're a great bright red, with adhesive you like, and they fit 4" x 6" postcards perfectly.

Playing with Power - Book 1: New Adult Office Romance
Playing with Power - Book 1: New Adult Office Romance
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyble Quick Read, July 12, 2014
Finally, a genre that's useful for those of us that want to read about the stages between high school and having children: new adult. Adele Huxley does a great job balancing the “I'm an adult” with the “but I'm still not ready to settle down” in this book. Novella? I'm not sure exactly what you'd call it, other than a fun, enjoyable easy read.

Lauren's a programmer, working in a small start up that's trying to revolutionize online clothing shopping. Her boss is a jerk & wants her to sleep with him, and her boyfriend keeps talking about moving back home to a small town. Balancing both work and her personal life is taking a toll.

I really liked Lauren as a character, because she's smart, she knows what she needs to do to get to her goals, and she won't roll over and take the easy way just because some guy says she has to. The fact she's a computer programmer is near and dear to my heart, as I too, studied the same field. So I could really relate to her, and to her annoyance when she got into the coding groove and someone pulled her out of it.

In a way, this book kind of reminds of the movie version of The Devil Wears Prada. Lauren has a lot in common with Andi, both as the put upon assistant, and interactions with a sleazy guy in a position of power. Unlike Andi, Lauren chooses to deal with her problems, and fix what she can, instead of whining about how unfair things are. I can relate more to Lauren that way.

The only thing I would have really liked to see in this book is Lauren win a battle. Not a big battle, because I understand a happy ending can't come in the middle of a story, but just a battle. A small one, like getting the last bagel at the coffee shop, or something like. Something to reward Lauren for her perseverance in trying to make StyleSpur work.

The Laundry Dragons!: A Children's Rhyming Book
The Laundry Dragons!: A Children's Rhyming Book
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a Cute Book, May 12, 2014
I backed the Kickstarter for this, so I got a copy that way. Backing it or not, I have to say this is a darling little book. The rhymes are cute and fun, and the art is excellent. I am considering buying more copies so I can give them out to friends with kids, because I think it's a book many people and their children would enjoy.

Funko POP! Movies: How To Train Your Dragon 2 - Toothless
Funko POP! Movies: How To Train Your Dragon 2 - Toothless
Offered by blue-city
Price: $12.98
29 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So cute!, May 2, 2014
He just arrived, and he's so cute! He's balanced nicely with his 4 clawed feet and his tail, and the details are good.

The Registry
The Registry
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $9.78

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Premise, but can't live up to it, January 20, 2014
This review is from: The Registry (Kindle Edition)
In the future, men outnumber women, and so when a woman turns 18, they go on The Reigstry. Men can view their profiles, and make a bid for their hand in marriage. Top bidder gets the woman. Mia Morrissey has been groomed from birth to be the perfect bride: pretty, graceful, and obedient. But when her older sister unexpectedly comes home, trying to escape her husband, Mia's perfect world is shaken. Now, instead of marrying a rich man, Mia wants to escape to Mexico, and she can't do it alone.
The premise of the book had me really wanting to like it. I like dystopian fiction, and this seemed to be right up my alley. Turns out the book didn't live up to the idea. Like, at all. And that disappointed me.
The biggest disappointment to me were the characters. They're all cartoons, or they have a personality switch. Mia starts the book pretty and dumb, waiting to get married. Then once she decides she doesn't want to follow the system, she attempts to be clever. She does everything wrong at dinner the first night she's meeting a potential suitor, expecting it to put him off her. Doesn't work. Within 50 pages of the novel starting (of a 300 page novel) she's run away, roping a smarter friend into coming along. She has no plan, but suddenly she has these insights and thoughts that a silly girl who solve basic math problems shouldn’t have. She's more confident, she knows what she wants. It all comes out of nowhere.
Whitney is Mia's best friend, and we get a lot of informed attributes about her. Her father wanted her to know things, so she could survive in case she didn't get a husband, so she learned a lof things. However, we never see any of her knowledge. Once they run away, Whitney becomes a whiny, cranky, shallow idiot. She loses her mind when the third member of their party, Andrew, has to resort to drastic measures, and she never gets over it. It's like Mia and Whitney had a personality swap once they run away.
Grant, the first man interested in Mia, is a cartoon. He's not a human being, he's a mustache twirling, tantrum throwing, clothes obsessed cartoon character. He decides Mia's screwing up dinner is cute, but he wants to break the spirit out of her. He pays her bride price and forces her father to sell her, and once he has control, he treats everyone else trying to recover Mia like they're morons, or minions beneath his notice. He's obsessed with coordinating his outfits, which only detracts from the novel. He does cartoon villain things, and acts like a maniac. He's not a real character.
The plot of the novel doesn't cover things we should probably know, and it's frustrating. The Registry is really glossed over, despite being the defining part of the book. We know Mia answers some basic questions (Can you cook? Etc) gets her photos taken, and fails a 50 question test. From Mia's conversations with Whitney, who supposedly knows things, we can assume the better you do on that test, the lower your price is. In a world where parents want the best price for their daughters, you'd think at least the fathers would spread that knowledge amongst themselves, so they could encourage their daughters to do poorly for a better price.
Also, it takes most of the book to find out why The Registry came into being, and all we're given is bits and pieces. At the end, we get an answer, but it's not very complete. For a book titled “The Registry” it's only marginally tied to it.
Ultimately, there isn't enough good to save this book. There are a few interesting scenes, like where we find out what life is like for women who don't have husbands, and a train station scene, but it's not enough to save the book. Poor characterization and a lack of details really killed it for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13