Profile for dennisqdw > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

dennisqdw RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Good Book's Jail of Escape
Good Book's Jail of Escape
8 used & new from $2.57

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like "minimalist" music you'll like this, September 1, 2014
Although not for everyone, if you like "minimalist" music you'll like this. It's very interesting with a different approach than some of the older guys like Reich, Riley and Palestine.

Bird-X TX-PRO Transonic Pro Electronic Pest Repeller
Bird-X TX-PRO Transonic Pro Electronic Pest Repeller
Price: $32.99
62 used & new from $25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 3 months, September 1, 2014
it's too soon to tell how good the device is at keeping mice away as during summer time I have less of a problem. I can tell you that the device itself stopped making noise after only 3 months. Fortunately, Amazon is replacing it for me, and we'll see how long this one works. As many people have said the noise is pretty loud and unpleasant, but it's in an unattached garage, so I don't have any problems with the noise - I hope the mice do.

OXO SteeL Pizza Wheel
OXO SteeL Pizza Wheel
Price: $11.95
11 used & new from $9.98

1.0 out of 5 stars They always break at the rivet holding the wheel, July 16, 2014
This review is from: OXO SteeL Pizza Wheel (Kitchen)
I'm with those who say these are badly made. I've had two and neither one lasted a year (and I don't cut pizza more than once every couple of weeks). Before breaking at the rivet in the center of the wheel, it's sharp and works great. But then it breaks, and it's all over. After the first one I thought it was a fluke, but after the second I'm convinced that these just aren't made to last. I'll be looking for something different now.

Lenovo Preferred Pro USB Keyboard (73P5220)
Lenovo Preferred Pro USB Keyboard (73P5220)
Price: $23.20
74 used & new from $8.81

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, April 6, 2014
I just got it so we don't know just how durable it is, but I decided to pay the extra $ for this based on the several reviews of both the Amazon and Microsoft keyboards that complained that they were a little flimsy. This one definitely has some weight to it (not sure if it's from actual components or just some added "weights"), but the keys totally respond as expected, and although I didn't think I'd use it at all, I tried out their optional wrist pad and I have to say I'm already a convert. So even though I haven't actually seen the Amazon or Microsoft versions, I'd say that this one is definitely worth what it cost, and could indeed be better than those two.

Roots Music: An American Journey
Roots Music: An American Journey
Price: $19.88
58 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, not so well organized, January 31, 2014
First of all, just about every track on this set is a stellar song. The songs range from those produced in the 1920s to the present. There is a sort of loose but not consistent grouping of songs into similar styles. For example, there's several zydeco songs on one disc and then several more on another disc. But my biggest complaint is that there's no real flow from song to song. It's missing the sensitivity that a good radio DJ (back when they could actually pick songs) brings to the order of play. So in spite of the quality of individual songs, there's a kind of random feeling as one listens to each cd. It really works against itself because of this.

The Natural Mystics: Marley, Tosh, and Wailer
The Natural Mystics: Marley, Tosh, and Wailer
by Colin Grant
Price: $20.46
80 used & new from $1.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough about the music, January 13, 2014
Pros: As the other reviewers have pointed out, if you want to learn about the history and culture of Jamaica and it's influence on the people who made reggae, then this book as great. In fact for someone like me who loves the music, but never got references to words like duppy, then it's truly useful. Additionally, I had no idea that Rastafarianism was so controversial and dangerous on the Island, and that the Wailer were taking on a religion which only made their lives more difficult.

Cons: I would be willing to bet that no more than 20% of the text is actually devoted to the Wailers in any form, and of that less than 5% is actually devoted to the music. So if you're looking for any insight into the music at all you'll want to find another book. Let me know if you do.

Straight To Hell
Straight To Hell
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great version of a great song., November 15, 2013
This review is from: Straight To Hell (MP3 Music)
Great version of a great song. If you like the Clash, and you're open to different ways of doing their songs then you'll like this one. Allen brings some real soul to the song.

What Can I Do When Everything's On Fire?: A Novel
What Can I Do When Everything's On Fire?: A Novel
by Antonio Lobo Antunes
Price: $15.80
77 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, but takes some work., November 15, 2013
This one is much tougher sledding than some of his other books. I enjoyed it, and you really felt like you were swirling around in all the minds of the various characters, sometimes mixed together, but it's not really about plot, but about experience. If you like these kinds of books then you'll like this one, but I'd start with The End of The World or the Natural Order of Things first.

Singing the Bruise: BBC Sessions 1970-72
Singing the Bruise: BBC Sessions 1970-72
9 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me!, November 15, 2013
Excellent Ayers, if you're a fan then you know that we need all the versions of this early work that can be found.

Galaxy Of Emptiness (2008 Remastered Version)
Galaxy Of Emptiness (2008 Remastered Version)

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful this is not the same as the album version, November 15, 2013
Be careful about buying this version as opposed to the album version, as this one is more of a dub version with only one small section of vocals and the rest is instrumental. Not to say that it's not an excellent instrumental. The album version has a much larger section of the song with included vocals.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4