Profile for Alan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 148

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alan "Choklat Luvr" RSS Feed (Sanford, FL, United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Outlet Elbow O-Ring for MicroClear Filter DEX2400Z5
Outlet Elbow O-Ring for MicroClear Filter DEX2400Z5
Offered by Pogue Pool Spa
Price: $4.99
8 used & new from $0.25

4.0 out of 5 stars No A lot easier to get the outlet pipe on and off!, June 23, 2011
I bought this to replace a gasket so old it had become sticky, so it was almost impossible to remove the filter. Using this new gasket improved things quite a bit althought its still pretty sticky.

Logitech Couch Mouse M515 for PC or Mac (Silver)
Logitech Couch Mouse M515 for PC or Mac (Silver)
3 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite tv Mouse!, May 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using this mouse for about a month now and I'm sold. There are many great design features that I've never seen before in a travel mouse (and I've had plenty believe me!):
1. A really small USB transmitter -- most of my mouses have these long transmitters that stick out of the side of my laptop and just generally make a nuisance (and hazard) of themselves. This one is so small that I just leave it in all the time.
2. Touch activated -- all my other ones are optically activated, the touch activated has proven more reliable. It always wakes right up, I don't have to burn my retinas all the time trying to figure out if the thing is turned on or what, why won't it wake up? This is great for a mouse that only gets used for a few hours a day.
3. It really does work on just about any surface -- but I still use a mouse pad most of the time.
4. Compact size -- which is great for travel.
5. Transmission works pretty much any location for the mouse -- my other ones would often freak out if the mouse was on the opposite side of the laptop, this one doesn't seem to care where it is relative to the dongle, it always works.
6. They say that it has great battery life, so far so good -- I haven't replaced a battery yet.

I do wish it had a little more ergonomic goodness going on, personally I like my hand to be tilted into more of a handshaking position. That's a pretty minor complaint since this is, after all, meant to be a travel mouse and there aren't any travel mice with great ergonomics (I'm still hoping though!).

Overall, I think this is the best travelling rodent that I have ever had.

AmazonBasics High-Speed A to C Type, HDMI to Mini-HDMI Cable with Ethernet - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters)
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable for the price, April 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As with all Amazon Basics products I've tried, this is a good quality cable at a reasonable price -- HDMI cables can be very expensive. All in all, I consider this to be a great cable for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice white pants., April 26, 2011
I ordered these pants for an occasion where white is required, not my normal color. I am very happy with the build quality on these pants, I like the natural fibers, and they fit very nicely -- not overly bulky like some are. I like having some pockets for my stuff, and I like the button waist/zipper fly (as opposed to just elastic). Overall very happy with these, they are my favorite white linen/cotton pants ever!

Octavia Tea Ancient Yunnan (Organic Black Tea), 1.98-Ounce Tin
Octavia Tea Ancient Yunnan (Organic Black Tea), 1.98-Ounce Tin
Price: $12.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly fruity overtones, a nice tea, April 26, 2011
I've been working my way through the Octavia organic black tea collection. The Ancient Yunnan is the third one I've tried, and it is quite nice. I found it to have somewhat fruity overtones, which isn't really what I'm looking for in my black tea -- that's why I give it a 4, just because its not really my favorite flavor. The price was great (I think this was the most economical Octavia organic black tea), quality of the tea is excellent, and I definitely like the tin that Octavia uses for their teas. I think I'll try Irish Breakfast next...

Samsonite Black Label Cosmolite Spinner 85/32, Red, One Size
Samsonite Black Label Cosmolite Spinner 85/32, Red, One Size
Offered by Pier 18
Price: $534.00
10 used & new from $534.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and really tough, easy to maneuver!, February 24, 2011
I admit that I was initially a bit doubtful about these suitcases (we got a 27" and a 32"), but I went ahead and ordered a them anyway when my old hard shell spinners started to get beat up looking. The first thing I immediately noticed is that these are incredibly light! Where I was packing my hard cases very carefully in order to keep them barely within the 50lb weight limit; with these Black Label spinners I have found that I can pack them however I want to -- they have never yet gone over 50lbs!! These suitcases are about 10lbs lighter than my old hard cases of the same size, unbelievable! This is remarkable for me because I bring a portable office with everywhere I go which includes all kinds of heavy cables, adapters, etc etc.

The second thing I noticed is that they seem rather flimsy, almost soft. They are constructed of layers of woven plastic, almost like a soft fiberglass shell. I'm still wondering how they will hold up over the long haul. However, I've already taken them on two cruises -- one all the way to Australia -- as well as a third trip to Brazil. They are showing the inevitable scuff marks but there is no sign of any structural damage at all. I'm not thrilled that these are closed with zippers because zippers have always been a weak spot on my suitcases, one of the reasons I liked the hard cases. So far so good! I won't know for sure until another 10 trips or so.

The 32" is a really large suitcase. They've designed the handle so that it takes up minimal space inside the suitcase, giving lots of room for your stuff. We actually like to pack a couple of our favorite pillows into this one, and we still have room for my clothes in the zippered top half of the clamshell.

My wife and I already love our Cosmolites, the reduced weight alone makes them a joy for long trips. Easier to pack for airline travel and easier to lug around the airport. We were already avid fans of spinners -- we simply won't buy suitcases that aren't spinners anymore, they are just so much easier to maneuver than the two wheelers. Samsonite is unquestionably the brand for spinners as far as I can tell.

I give the Cosmolite line top ratings -- with the caveat that I won't be able to tell the full story until a couple of years have passed. Price is high but these are the only super light spinner suitcases that I know of. For now that makes them worth the price!

Update 11/28/13 -- after almost 3 years of heavy travel the zipper on the 32" is toasted! The 27" is still working great so I have to conclude that the larger size is causing too much stress on the zipper so we are replacing the big one. I'm afraid I have to downgrade my original rating to 4 stars since the zipper did indeed prove to determine the lifespan of the suitcase -- about the same life as the other zippered large suitcases that we have owned over the years. Otherwise the suitcase is wonderful and I am sad to have to set it aside so I still give it 4 stars.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2014 9:14 AM PDT

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly light!, February 24, 2011
I admit that I was initially a bit doubtful about these suitcases, but I went ahead and ordered a couple of them anyway when my old hard shell spinners started to get beat up looking. The first thing I immediately noticed is that these are incredibly light! Where I was packing my hard cases very carefully in order to keep them barely within the 50lb weight limit; with these Black Label spinners I have found that I can pack them however I want too -- they have never yet gone over 50lbs!! These suitcases are about 10lbs lighter than my old hard cases of the same size, unbelievable!

They seem rather flimsy, almost soft. I'm still wondering how they will hold up over the long haul. However, I've already taken them on two cruises -- one all the way to Australia -- and another trip to Brazil. They are showing some wear and scuff marks but there is no damage at all. I'm not thrilled that these are closed with zippers because zippers have always been a weak spot on my suitcases, one of the reasons I liked the hard cases. So far so good! I won't know for sure until another 10 trips or so.

So far my wife and I love them, the weight alone makes them a joy. Easier to pack and easier to lug around. We were already fans of spinners -- we simply won't buy suitcases that aren't spinners anymore, they are just so much easier to maneuver than the old two wheelers.

I give this top ratings -- with the caveat that I won't be able to tell the full story until a couple of years have passed. Price is high but these are the only super light spinner suitcases that I know of, that makes them worth the price -- at least for the time being!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic undershirt!, February 24, 2011
A slim friend of mine recommended the Tommy John shirt to me when I was telling him how I tend to get cold in air conditioned rooms since I lost weight. I tried to steal his, but in the end he won the tug of war so I ordered one for myself. Although the price is high, I think this is worth it. The fit is wonderfully snug without being too tight, it gives me just a little extra warmth under a button up or polo shirt without being bulky. Very soft, almost silky feeling, I am now a fan!

3M Natural View Screen Protector for iPad 9.7
3M Natural View Screen Protector for iPad 9.7
Offered by QualityCarAudio
Price: $24.99
5 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, February 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had many screen protectors for my various MP3 players and cell phones which gives me lots of basis for comparison. I feel that this 3M protector is as good as any I've tried, it fits the iPad well. I personally received two of them, which is good because it usually takes me two tries to get a protector on there perfectly. The instructions were very specific and clear -- better than other products I've tried. Overall, I recommend this for use with your iPad!

HiFiMan HM-601 Portable Player
HiFiMan HM-601 Portable Player
Offered by Kraft Street Audio
Price: $249.00
2 used & new from $249.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality for audiophiles, UI features minimalist, December 21, 2010
I've reviewed a lot of MP3 players, but this one has got the best sound quality of all. The Hifiman HM-601 was built for one purpose only, to play music and make it sound really good. This is pretty large by modern standards, sort of like one of the original iPods in both user interface and size. The sound is simply sublime, warm, silky smooth, clean, clear, great resolution, lots of power (more than any other MP3 player I've tried). Higher notes are somewhat softened but still come through crisp and clear. This has an Analog sound, in other words it has a similar sound to an old high quality tape player.

So, on to the things I love about this player:

1) Sound quality, sound quality, and sound quality the best sound I've ever heard from an MP3 player.
2) A dedicated volume dial, old school style, allows you to easily adjust the volume by touch.
3) A digital line out -- great if you want to connect this to your stereo or portable amp.
4) High Gain, Low Gain switch -- allows you to adjust the range of the volume depending on how sensitive your headphones are (or speakers).
5) Hardware buttons for play, rewind, fast forward, mute, hold.
6) Accepts an SDHC card (class 4 works well I find) of up to 32GB so you can put a lot of music on an SDHC card.
7) Supports high quality FLAC file format as well as WAV, MP3.
8) Doesn't have a lot of silly features that I never use, it just plays music and it plays it very well.
9) Puts out a lot of power, enough to drive just about any set of headphones or even speakers all by itself.

And some things to be aware of that are not so great:

1) The UI is pretty minimal and there is no manual.
2) A bit bulky for carrying around, but it will fit in a pocket.
3) Battery life is not great, 8-10 hours seems about right.
4) Of course you will not find accessories for this player, it is for the audiophile niche market.
5) No gapless support.
6) No real playlist support, you have to organize your files into folders and it plays all the files in the folder you select.
7) Only 2GB of built in memory.
8) The buttons are a bit hokey and cheap looking, let's face it, this is not a sleek iPod-like package. Personally, I prefer cheap hard buttons over none at all so in this regard I am very forgiving. I think/hope that this is because they put the money into high quality electronic components rather than into the case and buttons.

In conclusion, I would say that this is the player for you if you just want to hear the best sounds coming out of a portable MP3 player that you've ever heard in your life -- true audiophile quality. If that is your number one priority (and you can't afford an HM-801!) then this is the player for you.

If user interface matters to you, or you want other features then you might be better off with a Sony Walkman or an iPod Touch.

I give it 5 stars as the best of its class (portable audiophile that is) in this price range.

Update: I loved this player so much that I moved up to the HM-801 which is even better sound (not quite as much bass emphasis, closer to a flat curve) -- I love it and listen to it all the time.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2011 8:26 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15