Profile for some guy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 63

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

some guy RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Verbatim 95339 4.7 GB up to 16x LightScribe Gold Recordable Disc DVD-R 30-Disc Spindle (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Meh, December 5, 2014
Pretty sure I got old stock. The Discs wouldnt lightscribe on the outside half, so all my lables had to be on the interior 40% of the disc. Ended up returning everything.

Lightscribe was an excellent technology, too bad its gone.

Coleman Sundome 2-Person Tent
Coleman Sundome 2-Person Tent
Price: $39.98
77 used & new from $34.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice., December 5, 2014
Nice tent, gets the job done and is a pretty decent size.

This is the Tent I use for backyard camping with my kids. It comfortably fits 1 adult, and 2 kids... or 2 adults. Anything more than that would be stretching it.

It is easy (as tents go) to assemble. The bottom is durable and the tent is well made. Personally I take a wool blanket and lay that in the bottom of the tent when using it and it makes it just that much nicer.

It does get hot inside if you put the rain guard on. I had it out one night when it was about 80 degrees in the evening, and we were all sweating with the rain guard on.

Another Earth
Another Earth
DVD
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, December 5, 2014
This movie wasn't at all what it was advertised to be.

This was BARELY a SciFi movie, it has more in common with "Igby Goes Down" or some other 'ironic independant film' than with anything related to SciFi, Space or anything else.

I was pretty disappointed.

Zebra Deep - Case for Raspberry Pi B+ (Black Ice)
Zebra Deep - Case for Raspberry Pi B+ (Black Ice)
Offered by C4 Labs
Price: $28.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, with one caveat., December 5, 2014
For the Raspberry Pi B+ it is going to be hard to beat this case. It is efficient, duarable and holds the board very well. It does NOT use the mounting screws on the board at all but it doesn't need them either. With this deep case there is enough room for "optional" heat sinks and GPIO ribbon. The Mini SD card sits flush with the case and is still accessable with a fingernail.

This case is made of 9 pieces which comprise 7 layers of Plexi which enclose the Raspberry Pi, leaving ports for USB, Power, HDMI, and all the other jacks.

It is a bit of a pain to assemble, and must be put in with a certain order... there were no instructions.

My main complaint with the case is the way the screws are designed to go from the top down... purely for looks. While functionally, they should go from the bottom up to allow for functional access to the top of the board when needed. The seller/designer should reverse the screws and cap the tops with rounded hex cap nuts instead of standard nuts. This would remove the need to remove all screws and totally disasemble the case in order to access the board.

I also wish there were multiple colors of this case. I would have much preferred Red/Clear instead of Black/Clear Personally.

Instructions (with screw heads reversed):

#1: Peel the brown Plexi protectant paper off all pieces, CAREFULLY.

#2: Insert hex screws from the bottom up through the pieces marked 'Made in the USA' this is the bottom.

#3: Place the next black piece on the screws.

#4: Place the Raspberry Pi Board on top of that black piece (Make sure you are grounded and clear of static electricity so you dont fry your board)

#5: Place the nect piece of black plexi down, it wraps around the board.

#6: Next is the fat piece of plexy, the port panel, and the small piece of fat plexi to finish that layer.

#7: Two more layers of black, around the Network port and the USBs.

#8: Then to top piece of plexi.

#9: Make sure there are no spaces, and everything is aligned properly taking special note of the board falling out of alightment and the port panel. Then you can tighten down the nuts and hold everything together.

After doing it that way you can simply take off the top panel via the nuts and not have to play puzzlemaster in order to access the GPIO, Heat Sinks or whatever.

All in all, a great case. If I buy another Raspberry Pi, Ill buy another of these hopefully in Red.

The price does fluctuate, I paid $18 for mine.

Bormioli Rocco Country Home Helios Oil Bottle, 8-Ounce
Bormioli Rocco Country Home Helios Oil Bottle, 8-Ounce
Price: $9.60
3 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and safe storage option for Olive Oil., October 29, 2014
I purchased this little glass decanter to store Olive Oil in for cooking. For the past few years I have been using a plain glass bottle with a plastic lid that I just kept refilling. The glass on that was thin, and it wasn't very attractive, just utilitarian.

This little glass container however is excellent. The glass is pretty thick, but not overly so, making it sturdy and durable. The glass is the pure clear glass, not blue/green as in the picture.

The Sun/Moon motif is well done, and I like the little stars that fill the extra space. My only complaint is the size, 8oz is pretty small and I will have to refill it often, 16oz would have been a much better size for me but it isn't offered. Like most glass spouted oil bottles, you will get a little droplet that you will need to wipe off after use, not a big deal.

Will prob buy another bottle based on the strengths of this one and the price, excellent little oil bottle. Would recommend.

Fire HD 6 Kids Edition, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB, Pink Kid-Proof Case
Fire HD 6 Kids Edition, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB, Pink Kid-Proof Case
Price: $149.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Fatally Flawed., October 26, 2014
It pains me to have to write this review. When I purchased this item for my daughter I was actually much more excited than my daughter was. I actually RETURNED a Fire HD7 I purchased a month before this came out in favor of this one because it was specifically geared toward children. I even purchased the same Kindle Pink Cover for the larger HD7. Returning the HD7 was a mistake. I really didn't expect amazon after 6? generations of Kindle to make the mistakes made in this device.

My first impression of the device was how small it was. Being used to the 7 inch model on my HDX this 6 inch version feel very, very tiny. However for small hands and children, I suppose I can give it a pass on that.

Kindle Freetime is great, however there is VERY little ability to search or organize. Dora the Explorer (Grade Level 3) books are right next to grade level Pre-K, which are right next to Alice in Wonderland. Its just a mashup of everything random. There is very little ability for a parent to control what books, apps or videos are available to the child through Kindle Freetime. It seems to be an all or nothing toggle.

The parental controls are wonderful, I can program 30 minutes of reading before games, I can control when the device can be used, how and for how long. That is about the only thing this device does properly and correctly.

The fatal flaw, and the final 'straw' and reason for my return of this item is a conflict between the hardware and the software which basically freezes the device and makes it totally inoperable.

My daughter managed to fill up the *3* gigs of space available to her in less than 3 hours. I switched to the 'adult' side of the OS and then the WiFi turned off telling me that the memory was full and I had to clear memory before I could turn the wifi back on. So I tried to delete what I could, but most everything (Except *1.8 Gigs for the Amazon Store!) was locked in her Freetime account. Catch is... you cant delete anything from the Childs account from the Adult account, and you cant login to the child account without WiFi on!

I ended up having to delete the cache and temporary files out of the Amazon Store section on the adult side just so I could access the *3* gigs she had on her side and clear it up a bit. The device never worked right after that.

I have already returned the product as of writing this review, however the 8 gigs that are advertized is not usable space. The Kindle Kids Edition was full after 3 gigs on my daughters side, and no use at all on the adult side. In contrast, I have had my Kindle Fire HDX 16GB for almost a year and never once had a storage problem. This is half the space, and the space didnt last a weekend...

After Reading the other reviews, it seems that actual AVAILABLE space available to users is between 3 and 4 gigs. Everything else is taken by Amazon's ads, software and Amazon Store. This means that more than half the space on the HDD of this item is taken before you even get the device in your hands!

I love the fact that Amazon has tried to create a kindle product for kids, I love the idea of the device and the idea of Kindle Freetime. However, neither are done well in this case. The flaws are too great, and isn't usable in its current form in my opinion. Sadly, I have processed a return for this item. Very disappointed.

Snow Proof Weatherproofing Leather Conditioner 3oz
Snow Proof Weatherproofing Leather Conditioner 3oz
Offered by etopso
Price: $6.05
19 used & new from $2.27

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the stuff., October 23, 2014
I had a custom holster (expensive) made for a 87 year old pistol. I asked the maker what they suggested I use on the leather for maintenance and care and this was suggested.

I now use it on holsters, and anything else I can find that is made of leather and I will take outside. Axe head covers, tool belts, holsters... you name it.

It will VERY SLIGHTLY darken light colored (or undyed natural) leather a bit, but after a while the darkening fades as the leather absorbs it.

Excellent product for leather maintenance (not for suede), Ill prob buy several more of these just to have a few extras laying around.

100% ORGANIC Hand Poured Beeswax - ~1oz each - Premium Quality, Cosmetic Grade, Triple Filtered Bees Wax (5 or 6 Bars; Additional Bar May Be Included to Make Sure Minimum of 5oz of Beeswax)
Offered by Beauty and Supplement Emporium
Price: $7.35
13 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, October 23, 2014
This is my second batch of Beeswax off amazon. I couldn't be happier with this batch.

My first batch was overly processed, had almost no honey smell at all and was VERY VERY hard, and was almost like using a bar of plastic.

This batch however was perfect, just the right amount of honey scent, still hard but not overly so.

I use a mixture of beeswax and mineral oil for foodsafe wood bowls, knife handles, and axe handles, these were perfect for my uses.

Morakniv Wood Carving 106 Knife with Laminated Steel Blade, 3.2-Inch
Morakniv Wood Carving 106 Knife with Laminated Steel Blade, 3.2-Inch
Price: $22.70
16 used & new from $17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the knife, toss the sheath., October 23, 2014
Ill be honest, I bought the knife... not the sheath. As you can tell by the other reviews, the sheath sucks. It is just terrible, but it will do till you replace it with leather or something kydex you made yourself.

The knife however is beautiful. Sharp, nice edge, great shape, excellent carver.

You SHOULD modify the handle a bit to your own preference, add a bit of grit to improve the grip a bit. However, its wood, most people buy and plan on modding the handle a bit. Even if you take your dremel or soldering iron and write your name on the side thats prob good enough.

Highly recommended. A very nice whittling and wood carving knife.

Estwing E12C Claw Hammer, Leather Grip Hammer, Smooth Face, 12-Ounce, 11-Inch
Estwing E12C Claw Hammer, Leather Grip Hammer, Smooth Face, 12-Ounce, 11-Inch
Price: $33.99
3 used & new from $29.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Heirloom Quality., October 23, 2014
Heirloom Quality. There is really no other way to describe the Estwing leather wrapped series of tools. The leather wrap is tight and firm, the head is nicely formed and finished well. The balance is maintained throughout the design and is comfortable to use.

If you need a gift for someone who would appreciate it, or just want to treat your own tool box to something your great grandchildren will use and be proud to have inherited long after you are gone... this is it.

The old saying says, measure twice, cut once. You could also say, Buy nice, buy once, buy cheap, buy again.

Estwing tools do not disappoint.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7