Profile for Marie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marie RSS Feed (Florida, usa)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
2LUV Women's Geo Print Bodycon Midi Skirt Grey M (S12865)
2LUV Women's Geo Print Bodycon Midi Skirt Grey M (S12865)

5.0 out of 5 stars I really love this skirt, September 17, 2014
I really love this skirt. It's perfect for casual days. I wouldn't wear it with heels like in the pic. It's a stretchy cotton material, so it pairs well with sandals/ flats.

Ugly Love: A Novel
Ugly Love: A Novel
Price: $7.59

2.0 out of 5 stars What?, August 25, 2014
Did Colleen Hoover write this? Im sorry, but this is why sex should never be more important than the actual plot. Even 50 shades has a better love story. Between the lack of self respect in the mc and the loooooong amount of time it took to find out why miles was screwed up, I found myself getting more and more disappointed with each page. Also, I kinda thought the chemistry was better with Rachel than with Tate, which made it even harder to read bc obviously theres no happy ending there. I dont know why everyone labeled her a b**** bc I thought her actions, although terrible were totally believable in an 18 yr old put in that situation.

FLUTTER Real Mink Fur Lashes - Emily
FLUTTER Real Mink Fur Lashes - Emily
Offered by BeautyJoint
Price: $32.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but still look "fake", June 24, 2014
These lashes are easy to adjust, put on, and wear. However, when you wear them, everyone will know you are wearing fake lashes. Now I don't want to give the wrong impression--the quality of the mink is excellent! It's very soft/long and they look like natural hairs. It's something about the way the lashes are constructed at the base and also the length. The base is too symmetrically perfect to look real and you can see it when you have them on. One of my friends even commented on the lashes, so obviously they could tell I was wearing falsies. They are showstoppers though, so if you don't mind the fake look, then you'll definitely like these. It's just a personal preference. Based on the quality, I might still give Flutter lashes another try. Maybe next time I'll get a pair from their natural line. What I do like is that they use furs brushed from the animal, so no harm is done in the making.

GMYLE® Turquoise Robin Egg Blue Keyboard Cover for Macbook Air Pro 13 15 15 Pro Retina 17 US model OS 10.7 New Layout
Offered by gigacity_amn
Price: $5.98
5 used & new from $0.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the investment, January 23, 2014
Pros:

-If you have dogs like me, you need this thing! Dog hairs get everywhere, even in your computer. This does a good job of keeping them out.
-It also keeps out lint, dirt, etc
-Easy to wash. Instead of trying to wash your keyboard, this thing is a lot easier to keep clean.
-When I first put it on my computer, I thought I'd hate typing with it! But once you get used to it, it's really not so bad. I'm a writer and I use it everyday.

Cons:

-You can't see the lights on your keyboard as well. If you're typing in the dark, this does pose a problem.
-It is awkward to use at first. I definitely prefer typing without it, but it's worth having. Macs cost well over $1200 these days. The keyboard protector makes me feel like I'm prolonging the lifespan of the computer.

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (The Mara Dyer Trilogy Book 2)
The Evolution of Mara Dyer (The Mara Dyer Trilogy Book 2)
Price: $8.54

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd like to punch Hodkin in the face for that ending, but..., October 30, 2012
I LOVED it.

ADORED it.

Even slept next to my copy until I finished. And when I did, all I could think was "That book was crazy!"

Sigh. Where to begin?

Evolution starts out in the same pattern as Unbecoming. Mara wakes up in a hospital. Everyone suspects she's nuts because she was ranting and raving about seeing Jude. Because no one believes her, Mara tries desperately to make it seem like she's not crazy. But eerie things begin to happen, then suddenly SHE's not even sure about the state of her mental health. (I'm going to stop there with the summary. Anything else would spoil the story)

I loved this one even more than the first. The setting becomes clearer, the characters richer and the suspense, stronger. Michelle Hodkin is so talented, and shall we say, an elocutionist? (always wanted to use that word, lol) The language in the book is perfect and relatable. Witty, too. Loved the dialog! Makes me happy that Noah is British.

(Pause for another sigh) Noah. Other reviewers have said enough about him. I will say that Michelle knows how to create the perfect hero, with just enough flaws to make him seem real.

I'm going to throw this out there, too: I liked Phoebe. I don't think I was supposed to, because she was mostly creepy and psychotic, but let's be honest. She was entertaining. Chair scene, anyone?

Also, for those of you who are chickens, don't worry. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely creepy. But at no point did I want to hide under the covers and freak out over strange noises.

Nitpicks: I'm not big on cliffhangers, but after reading the first book, I was expecting one. And this one was 100% more agonizing than the last. Also, it kind of drove me crazy how submissive Mara was with her parents near the end of the story. Not a big deal, but still...I would've liked to see her fight harder.

All in all I DEFINITELY recommend this book and am now a huge Michelle Hodkin fan!

Falling Under
Falling Under
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $6.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story, May 22, 2012
This review is from: Falling Under (Kindle Edition)
Demons...who knew, right?

Summary: Theia is a British, prim and proper type who never gets into any trouble. While dreaming, she finds herself in a gothic "Alice in Wonderland" place called Under, where she meets a guy in a top hat and suit. And then the same guy shows up to school the next day.

Thoughts: I loved this story. While reading it felt as if I were in some dark, enchanting dream. The characters were definitely well rounded. I loved Donny and Gabe's relationship almost as much as I loved Theia and Haden's. The romance was heavy, but beautifully written. Also, I personally felt a little fear of Haden. I think it was part of his appeal.

Nit Picks: Haden has his own section of the book. It felt a little rushed and contrived. I didn't hear a separate voice for him within that part. In fact, he sounded a lot like Theia which is weird because there are also short pov's from Haden spread throughout the book. In those, Haden has a distinct voice. It just didn't carry over to when he got his own section. I think the overall story would've been better left without that part.

All in all I definitely recommend this book. It's such a beautiful story and very well written. I'm ordering number two now :)

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I gave it 100 pages, May 14, 2012
I don't understand where all the hype surrounding this book comes from. I was so excited to read it after hearing such good things that I bought it from my local B&N rather than wait for Amazon to deliver. I shouldn't have bothered.

Why it couldn't hold my interest:

1.) I hate it when an idea is copied.

Factions? Um, sounds like the author is trying to play off the districts from THG- a book I adored by the way (and lives up to the hype).

2.) The writing is sooooo immature.

I felt like I was reading a story meant for five year olds. There are no colorful descriptions, portrayals of the characters emotions, etc.

3.) I didn't like the characters.

They were so bland. Just like there are 5 types of people, it felt like the character's personalities couldn't encompass more depth than that.

Final thoughts:

Typically, I tend to agree with the masses. I loved HP, Twilight and THG. So it seems weird for me that I didn't enjoy this book when so many others did. That said, I would caution readers to read the sample before purchasing to see if it fits into their tastes. HOWEVER, if you haven't read the dystopian THE HUNGER GAMES, than don't waste your time on Divergent. It is worth it, and captivated me from the very beginning.

Silence (Hush, Hush Saga)
Silence (Hush, Hush Saga)
by Becca Fitzpatrick
40 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong beginning, Weak ending, May 7, 2012
3.5 Stars

A lot of mystery takes place in the beginning of Silence. Nora has just awoken in a graveyard, with no recollection of her past five months. A lot of time is spent while Nora attempts to piece her past together. While this is going on, the evil Hank Millar takes a spotlight in the story dating Nora's mother. Patch comes back into the picture as a mysterious guy named Jev, whom no one has ever heard of, yet Nora feels a connection to him...

Things I liked:

THE MYSTERY- As stated above, there's a lot of it in this book. When combined with the author's captivating style of writing, it makes for a good story.

SCOTT'S CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT- In Crescendo, he was pretty much a douchebag jock, but you can tell within Silence how much the events in his life have affected him. He becomes someone you feel for.

PATCH- He's more present in Silence than he was in Crescendo. His love for Nora feels stronger and more genuine.

Things I did NOT like:

NORA'S CHARACTER- Admittedly, in Crescendo, Nora does some pretty crazy stuff. However, most girls do crazy things when faced with raging jealousy. So it's understandable. In Silence, however, Nora came off as stupid and sometimes rude. There's one scene in the beginning when the school secretary shows her some sympathy and Nora reacts very disrespectfully. This combined with the hundreds of senseless acts of detective work makes me wonder if there is a loose screw somewhere in her head. The reader is left thinking, "Does this chick EVER learn?"

VEE'S LACK OF SCENES- She's my favorite character. And she wasn't in Silence as much as she was in the first two books.

CONCLUSION- Something felt off. I read the beginning very quickly, but the last few chapters took forever to get through. I think maybe it was too drawn out.

All in all, the series has gotten better for me. I hated the first book. Thankfully, someone convinced me to give the 2nd book a chance and I'm glad I did. It's a pretty good series, which makes me think the author can only do better from here.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth
The Forest of Hands and Teeth
by Carrie Ryan
Price: $9.99
223 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I can only handle so much..., April 11, 2012
I would've given this book 5 stars. I read it in under three days. That being said, this was one of those "Was it really worth it all?" stories. Kind of like Mockingjay in a sense.

Basically, the ending ruined the book. I'm not saying the book is bad because it has a bad ending. However, there is only so much suffering I can take in a story. The author started out the story with the MC suffering and finished it that way too. The prose was beautiful, but...What was the point? Where was the growth? At the end of the reading experience, I was left feeling like it was a total waste of time. This is why a book I was so sure I would've given 5 stars to, now gets 3.

Again, totally not saying endings always have to be perfect. Take Gone with the Wind for example- the ending wasn't good. But it felt right. It felt justified. Now let's switch gears and look at Harry Potter. He starts off suffering, and is then led to a more beautiful (not perfect) but justified ending. I feel like Forest was Harry Potter in his little closet underneath the stairs- throughout the whole entire story.

Just my little, humble opinion.

I don't think I can read the next one, especially if it was as painful as Forest.

Crescendo (The Hush, Hush Saga Book 2)
Crescendo (The Hush, Hush Saga Book 2)
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want to read this book...so glad I changed my mind!, April 7, 2012
I disliked Hush Hush- just putting that out there.

I disliked it, not because the writing was bad, but because there were too many eerie similarities to Twilight. That being said, I was told this series gets better. So I skeptically decided to pick up Crescendo. The story starts out with Nora telling Patch she loves him, followed by a huge break up. This part was painful for me to stomach (New Moon, anyone?) Thankfully, that's where the Twilight similarities ended. And I'm SO happy I decided to give it another chance.

I won't give you the summary. You can read the blurb or one of the dozens of other reviews.

I will say that the author's writing style in this book is superb. She is so good at creating suspense, leaving you on the edge of your seat type of stuff. The dialog was real, fresh and sounded like teens. The romance felt real and almost painful after the breakup. Nora goes off the deep end a little, but it's relatable.

What I didn't like was how drawn out the whole Marcie Millar thing was. I didn't think it was necessary for him to keep some important info from Nora, especially since he can visit her in her dreams. Just my little opinion though. I suppose rational thought doesn't make for a suspenseful book. One last thing I hated was the bullying going on between Marcie and Nora. Not the bullying itself, just the way it was done. It felt contrived, like disney movie type of bashing. I would've liked to read something more believable.

All and all this book surprised me. I definitely recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3