Profile for B. Combs > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Combs RSS Feed

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice performance and price for my first telescope, December 19, 2010
This was my first telescope (if you don't count a cheapy refractor I got years ago as a kid-which is OK for the moon only) and I've really enjoyed it. Since it doesn't have a "go-to" mount, it takes some practice to learn to use, aim, and find with the equatorial mount (especially to find and aim as everything you see in the scope and finder is an inverted image). Finding dimmer magnitude objects is more challenging than I thought it would be (there's a whole bunch more objects than you think even through the finder scope!); trying to find Uranus took me some time and a lot of sky to chart consulting.

That said, the quality has been excellent and Jupiter is a great site and already has me thinking of what I might get for a future upgrade. I recommend buying a good quality 6-8 element 6mm eyepiece to increase the magnification (x217 w/ a 2x Barlow lens). This gets it closer to the "useful" max of x260. Overall, good value for the money, but if you don't want to spend a bunch of time hunting for objects (some might say this is part of the fun), I might suggest spending a bit more and get a "Go-to" scope - like the very similar Orion Starseeker 130- but this one doesn't have as good eyepieces included, so budget even more that!

Orion 08711 Shorty 1.25-Inch 2x Barlow Lens (Black)
Orion 08711 Shorty 1.25-Inch 2x Barlow Lens (Black)
Price: $47.41
4 used & new from $41.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely priced barlow for beginners to intermediate., December 19, 2010
So far I have enjoyed this barlow lens that I purchased with a 5" reflector. Works very well with the 2 eyepieces that came with my scope. The short length is nice with a 7 element eyepiece (6mm) I got later that is quite long itself. For the price, it's a good deal. For quality though, I would consider the Shorty Plus as it's fully multi-coated and has a larger aperture (but ~ 2x more $).

Orion 05662 1.25-Inch 13 Percent Transmission Moon Filter (Black)
Orion 05662 1.25-Inch 13 Percent Transmission Moon Filter (Black)
Price: $19.99
6 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a must have for moon viewing!, December 7, 2010
This has been a good, reasonably priced addition for my new telescope. A must have if you want to view the moon as its too bright without a filter. If've found some cheaper at other sites, but in optics, there is a point where you get what you pay for (i.e. don't always buy the cheapest!) and I'm so far pleased with Orion products.

This filter has threaded easily with my Orion eyepieces. I'll update if I have any issues threading with a Zhumell eyepiece once I get it.

Monster MV3CV-2M Component Video Cables (2 meters)
Monster MV3CV-2M Component Video Cables (2 meters)
Offered by Glen's Treasure Trove
16 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable and price!, February 23, 2006
Great price on this cable. Just as good as the THX Ultra 800 without paying extra for the THX name. HUGE difference over S-video! Better than cheap cables too. Don't skimp on cables by buying cheap ones. If you can't see the difference, get glasses or better TV! Best cables w/o paying a fortune!