Profile for Leslie Hammer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Leslie Hammer RSS Feed (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Diablo III - PC/Mac
Diablo III - PC/Mac
Price: $19.99
133 used & new from $9.03

1.0 out of 5 stars This isn't the Blizzard I remember, June 2, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Honestly not impressed with either the gameplay, music or the DRM.

Music: While there are some familiar tunes such as the Tristram theme, it feels a bit tacked on. It doesn't have that gothic, foreboding feel that the original had. It seems like some other game from some other company. Since this was from Blizzard, my hopes were that it would topple the original Diablo AND Diablo 2. It doesn't. Very disappointed.

DRM: Always on. So you can't play it from a laptop, at least not that I know of. A fail on so many levels. Getting booted from the system multiple times a day. Having my items suddenly disappear when I relogin. It is just so underwhelming and breaks the ambiance every time this happens.

Gameplay: Uninspired. It feels like a completely different outlook than the previous incantations of Diablo. Most of the original Diablo guys have left for greener pastures. The gameplay itself is simply OK, but the dialogue feels...lax. It doesn't have a soul. If you have ever had the stomach to sit through Lucas's The Phantom Menace, well you'll have a good idea about the dialogue. Stomach churning. Story is pretty much what we could expect from Blizzard and the Diablo series. Kill Foozle, while losing various items and characters along the way. Standard cookie-cutter stuff, however I wanted Blizzard to take it in different directions. They failed. Reminds me of a Don Bleuth film. Has the animation of a full fledged Disney film but not of the heart.

Mass Effect 3 - PC
Mass Effect 3 - PC
Offered by Digitalville
Price: $12.25
43 used & new from $2.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Anyone still shoot straight at Bioware?, March 15, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 - PC (Video Game)
First, the Good:

Good CGI: Or I should say, competent CGI. Nothing on the level of say, Squaresoft, but competent all-around. Nothing surprising there.

Excellent voicework: like prior games, great acting scenes are numerous here, although in many scenes the lines sort of fall flat. Again I must say that I was very disappointed in the story arc, which seemed to pay no attention to the tiny golden details of the first two games. About midway through the game I was left scratching my head at many inconsistencies and plotholes that were a result of obvious laziness on the part of Bioware devs.

Music is...competent. Nothing grand like Skyrim. It is sort of..."boopy". If you're expecting something "spacey" like Michael Stearns or Steve Roach, forget it. Even Star Control II (3do) had better music.

The Bad:

The homo-sexual angle isn't just subtle like the former games I had played, but rather right in-your-face and had a dare-you-to-say-anything-about-it mentality about them. Is this a video game for kids, or adults? Is it a space opera or a game about gay politics? It was very distracting and had absolutely NO place in the Mass Effect universe. Totally depraved and irresponsible of Ray (CEO) to shove this into the game. I guess we now know what side of the aisle he is on.

Familiarity breeds...very familiar territory as you cut down swarms of stormtrooper-like cerebus troops, geth and cerebus engineers. However, this really started grinding on my nerves after playing for ten hours and seeing the same enemies time after time, much like Gears of War. What the combat lacks is variety of enemies, and some DEPTH to the environments, the kind Fallout 2 had. In short, it lacks a soul. I started to realize that it wasn't an RPG I was playing, but a FPS in the vein of Call of Duty or Gears of War, yet Bioware bills this as an RPG! That is a blatant lie. While I enjoy Gears of War...I know what to expect. The Gears of War devs don't bill their epic SHOOTER as anything other than a fps and not an rpg (and honestly, stealing the cover system from Gears of War was just silly).

Bioware has fallen. This isn't completely the fault of EA. After doing some research on who had played a big part in the creation of the greatest RPG of the 21st century, Baldurs Gate II, I learned that most of the guys that made *that* game have long since left Bioware for greener pastures. Still, Bioware had a duty to re-fill those positions with the brightest minds in the industry, and instead chose people who were experts not at creating absorbing rpg games, but rather those that are experts at creating mindless propaganda pieces, filled with cookie-cutter levels/enemies and ignoring the fans. It is as if NO ONE who worked on Mass Effect 1 had any input on this game. Perhaps the brass tossed the new designers a mass effect 1 disc and said "here, have a look at this if you have time"?

Origin. Nothing more I can say that hasn't already been stated.

Minor Spoiler Alert:
And what exactly was the deal with stealing a picture off of the net (Tali)? Surely with a multi-million dollar budget, the developers could have done a better job at this?

I will never buy another Bioware game again. Ever.

Perhaps the two CEOs of Bioware should go back into medicine. They have clearly let the money and fame go to their head.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2012 12:49 PM PDT

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
Offered by goldcoinstar
Price: $16.99
155 used & new from $4.88

1.0 out of 5 stars Starcraft II = Mr. Mediocre, July 29, 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Honestly, I didn't expect Starcraft II to be the second coming of RTS games, but after playing this game I came to the conclusion that it was "too little, too late". While I can certainly understand Blizzard's mission to uphold the highest design standards of the game and not release until "its ready", what I came away with was that the game does not justify the long wait we endured. While the CGI sequences are certainly above standard (what game doesn't have great cgi scenes?), there is nothing particularly spellbinding about the gameplay. Been there, done that, was what I kept thinking as I played through the missions. Initially I did not believe the rumors I kept hearing about Starcraft II being a "third of a game". But it is true! The game can be finished fairly quickly by any seasoned RTS player.

The OpenID/TrueID thing...this is the appalling part of the entire process. It RUINS the game. It is a slap in the face to anyone who plunked down hard earned money for this game. I have no desire for my real name to be floating out there for the spammers to utilize. I already get enough spam. When I play Starcraft, I want to escape reality...not have it thrown back into my face. Blizzard definitely went overboard with this and I feel privacy should have been placed higher on the priority list at Blizzard headquarters.

Gladiator (Sapphire Series) [Blu-ray]
Gladiator (Sapphire Series) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Russell Crowe
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $21.53
58 used & new from $0.06

1.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray Shroom-Ray, September 2, 2009
Honestly I thought the reviews on the blu-ray version were a bit harsh. But after seeing the HD version myself I cannot fathom why anyone would fork over their hard earned cash for something so sub-par. Honestly, Ridley Scott HAD to have known about this..or maybe he just doesn't care about his products anymore? The faces honestly look like something out of a wax museum. Yes, the arrows in the beginning are GONE. Facial close-ups resemble a painting. My Open Matte version is light years aheads of this drek. Please do not give in to such shoddy marksmanship..whomever mastered this abomination should be fired immediately and replaced by an agent who knows what they are doing.

Sad.

The Neverending Story [Blu-ray]
The Neverending Story [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Barret Oliver
2 used & new from $11.26

1.0 out of 5 stars Wait for a remastered release, April 13, 2009
Putting aside the fact that the subtitle (DUTCH!) issue is a pain in the neck, the PQ of this title leaves much to be desired. It is only marginally better than the DVD release. While the movie itself is still pristine with excellent writing, effects and direction (for its time), I think we will have to wait awhile for the North American release for a decent blu-ray master. There were times when I was watching the movie where I felt like I was watching the DVD! Spots here and there, edge enhancement is not what it could have been, and with films many decades older looking light years sharper, there simply is no excuse to rip off the customers time and time again with lackluster blu-ray titles such as this.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2012 4:07 AM PST

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena - PC
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena - PC
23 used & new from $3.16

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, April 10, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I was all set to enjoy this fine game, and I never thought to look on the box to see if there were any limited installs..I didn't see any. Publishers should be required by law to put in flashy neon lettering "ONLY 3 INSTALLS ALLOWED" on the box, so that we KNOW what we are getting ourselves into. The graphics are certainly up to the game..but what good is a Ferrari if youre only allowed to take it out for a spin 3 times per year? Oh wait..3 times per lifetime!

The publisher apparently didn't learn from EA's Spore fiasco. Maybe next time they will heed our warnings..we will not be strong-armed into buying something that by definition is BROKEN.

"Acquire" this game by any other means then what the publisher wants. Enough is enough.

Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto IV
Offered by TnsDeals
Price: $16.37
46 used & new from $9.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs XP SP3, December 2, 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Video Game)
My specs pretty much allow me to play anything at 1920x1200..Crysis (with shadows off), COD4, Left for Dead, Fallout 3..but GTA IV brings my dual core 3ghz to its knees and then some. I thought Rockstar was taking the extra time to properly optimize the code for PC users, but it is woefully evident that any one of us with ati cards in the 3850 range and up are in for an eyesore. Never mind the clearly unstable Games for Windows program or the Rockstar Social program you have to install (mandatory) alongside GTA IV. Wasn't SecuROM online authentication enough for Dan Houser's sadistic needs? What is next, a microchip in our right hand's to "authenticate" our purchase?! Puleeze!

I won't delve into the DRM too terribly much..save to say that you know its here in all its devilish glory, but also be aware that other programs are installed as well automatically. They are not optional, unless you do not want to save your game. A curse on Dan Houser of Rockstar Games for outright LYING to PC gamers, promising a "beautiful" experience. He went on and on how PC users were in for a royal treat, with spectacular eye candy coupled with excellent framerates and a customizable graphics tool. And did we get saddled with? Poor performance with state of the art video cards (ati 4870HD) and NO SLI support. People with top of the line rigs can barely ekk out 30fps. It also does not support the Logitech line of gamepads.

As for the gameplay itself (provided you dont mind a slideshow), it is certainly up to par with previous entries in the gta franchise, although there does seem to be a serious lack of..airplanes. A.I is decent, but nothing ingenious. Voicework is adequate and the story is detailed, if uninspiring. Yes, the grand detail is there but it lacks a..whats the word...soul? Like a Ridley Scott film re-directed by Uwe Boll. It lacks staying power. The voice actor who played Niko (game's main character) was reportedly quite upset when he had heard of the game's stellar following, from which his work was paid in pennies next to that of Houser. Surprise surprise.

Lastly, this product needs XP SP3 (service pack 3). Be careful about installing/updating up your pc. I have heard more than one pc user report a hellish experience with it. You really have to ask yourself if GTA IV for pc is worth the 30% chance that SP3 will trash your system. Go to GTA IV forums (google it) and search therein for the details on other's experiences. It ain't pretty, and it does seem akin to playing russian roulette.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2008 1:21 AM PST

Far Cry 2 - PC
Far Cry 2 - PC
Offered by Just 4 Games
Price: $3.95
72 used & new from $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Stealth? Pshaww!!, October 23, 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 2 - PC (Video Game)
Pros: Creative use of african ambiance..the music, sounds, accents of the characters you interact with, all give that "you are here in Africa" feeling. Music is tribal/ambient and thus fits well with the mood. Graphics are decent, though nowhere near Crysis, or for that matter, COD4. Decent frame rates on a lower core 2 duo.

Cons: respawning, poorly implemented stealth, mouse drags in high resolutions regardless of cpu/gpu, respawning, drm, senseless, random attacks by enemies, did I mention RESPAWNING enemies??. Tell me, how is it I can sneak up on some poor chump and slit his throat special forces style, and the WHOLE bloody camp knows about it the instant it happens? Didn't Ubisoft learn anything from Thief the Dark Project? Rumor has it they are working on Thief 4. God help us if they employ the same sneak tactics here, where every guard within 50 feet can hear a mouse fart. Then there is the respawning guards I just killed, including respawning jeeps (huh?). It is inconceivable to me that the very jeep I blew up not two seconds ago is now following me with armed guards every 13 seconds?
You already know about the DRM so I will skip that portion.
Part of the allure of this game was that its touted as a mercenary for hire sort of game whereby you obtain contracts to acquire wealth (diamonds) in exchange for downing baddies. But what good is it for immersion if you plug the guy with 10 bullets and he STILL doesn't go down?? I used to know a guy who went through BUD/S (SEAL training) years back, and he would say that if you take a bullet by one of these big guns, you are going down fast. Yet it takes 20 bullets to down any guards, unless it is a head shot at close range. Ubisoft definitely dropped the ball on this one. Mark this one: AVOID.

Ubisoft devs didn't just hype this game..they out and out LIED about it. Where I come from, lying is still a vice.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2008 10:31 AM PDT

Crysis Warhead - PC
Crysis Warhead - PC
Offered by BLS Mart
Price: $11.99
52 used & new from $1.00

1.0 out of 5 stars More of the same..with tighter DRM than Spore!, September 18, 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crysis Warhead - PC (Video Game)
Pros: Content is an action-packed bulletfest compared to the slower pace of the first game. Youll barely have time to take in the scenery when the bullets start flying past your ears. A BIT faster (optimized) than Crysis..but it aint a night and day difference. If you have a decent card like I do (ATI Radeon 3850, 1.8ghz conroe cpu/3gigs ram) you might not even notice. Good music and pacing with the gameplay.

Cons: A.I. is still a bit wonky. Still requires a bit of a powerhouse PC to run at high resolutions especially in the "ice" levels (my native LCD monitor res is 1900x1200..anything lower and I get faster framerates, but blurry textures) 3 installs, rootkit DRM and virus-like qualities with the copy protection. Sorry but even at 30 bucks, it really will be a quite useless when EA shuts down the servers for this admittedly SINGLE PLAYER game. Crytek is locking all threads over on the Crysis forums that have anything to do with the dreaded SecuROM on the game. All in all, a verty fast paced action romp that is crucified by the unethical behavior of the publisher..Electronic Arts (EA). The DRM in this game is even more of an insult than Spore was considering that Crytek is trying to suppress people's opinion of the drm'd game..hoping to get as many first and second day sales as possible before people learn the TRUTH. There used to be this thing called "honesty". It was called also called a "virtue"..meaning, the right thing to do was to be honest with your customers..something Crytek obviously has issues with.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2008 8:53 AM PDT

Spore - PC/Mac
Spore - PC/Mac
Offered by Digitalville
Price: $13.25
70 used & new from $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Preschool game, September 8, 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spore - PC/Mac (Video Game)
My oh my..where to start. Well, I think I will skip the horrendous DRM and go straight to the content. This game was supposed to be 100% original. Visionary. Enlightening. Yes, we all saw the trailers for the past 3 years and oohed and awed at the marvelous ingenuity of Will Wright's masterpiece..or is it? After playing a few stages into the game, it suddenly dawned on me that my thought processes swirling around in my brain became less and less complex. In short, you don't have to actually THINK when you are playing this game. It is almost akin to playing one of Reflexive's "simplified" casual games for the masses (read: Sheeple). The problem with that is, it leaves most hardcore players like myself disappointed and feeling ripped off. I'm what you would call a veteran gamer. My top tier games are: Fallout, Planescape, Fear, Red Alert, World in Conflict..you know, games where you actually have to possess some residue of brain activity to progress in the game. Not so with Spore. I found myself quoting Mae West after the first stage.."is that ALL??". Pretty bacterial graphics that go snap, crackle, pop...but devoid of depth and substance. A great, epic, evolving storyline? Forget it.

Part of the problem I suspect is that Will Wright has gotten too comfortable with the SUITS at EA. He will make millions regardless, so there is less incentive for him to innovate (Vista anyone?). By the second stage of the game, I actually found myself wondering why the appeal of casual games was so widespread. It is because you don't have to think for yourself! Its a "wham bam thank you ma'm" ideology. All in the space of about 30 minutes to an hour (the first bacterial stage took less time than this to finish).
And the DRM? I for one am somewhat relieved our new Draconian Reptilian Masters are so obviously detectable without ever buying anything. Just go to Amazon and search for DRM and you'd come up with "Spore", "Bioshock" or "Mass Effect". Their blatantly, galactically obvious attempt at subduing all of us is apparent even to 14 year olds, who when seeing "SecuROM" on the box, or anywhere in the Amazon reviews may send them screaming from the store/site. It is good that SecuROM is now a recognized name (albeit negative) in the biz. Sort of akin to "AntiChrist". Not everyone knows the history behind the word..but everyone knows it ain't good.

Page: 1 | 2