Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th
Profile for brandnizzle023 > Reviews

Browse

brandnizzle023's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

brandnizzle023 RSS Feed (Erie, PA)

Deja Entendu
Deja Entendu
Price: $11.83
103 used & new from $2.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Matured, But Still Amazing, December 26, 2003
This review is from: Deja Entendu (Audio CD)
When I first started getting into Brand New, I had downloaded "Seventy Times 7" and "The Shower Scene" (both on Your Favorite Weapon). Needless to say, I loved both songs, especially the former, and went out to buy the CD. It was more like your typical emo album - nothing truly original, just some well-written songs about heartache. Months later, when I picked up their sophomore album, Deja Entendu, I was surprised, but surely not disappointed. In fact, it went on to become one of my personal favorite albums - ever.
Perhaps you think that's stretching it a little, but then again, perhaps you haven't heard this album. It is evident that Brand New, Jesse Lacey in particular, has matured, both in songwriting and in terms of sound. From heavy bass lines to distortion to beautiful acoustic melodies, this album has something for everyone. While Brand New still focuses on heartache sometimes, like in "Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades" and "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot," other songs on the album reflect different issues, such as cancer and greedy businessmen. And, as expected, Jesse's voice is ever-expressive. You feel the pain that he feels when he sings about his grandfather being diagnosed with cancer. Wherever he is, no matter what situation he's in, you're right there with him, experiencing every moment.
As in most reviews, I'll give a basic rundown of the songs.
1. Tautou - This is like an intro track. Clocking in at 1:42, the only lyrics are "I'm sinking like a stone in the sea/I'm burning like a bridge for your body". Not too much can be said for it, but it's a nice intro.
2. Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades - This song has some great bass. Really, it does. But music aside, this song is about a boy who's suddenly found himself in a situation where he's growing up a LOT faster than he actually wanted to. Surely a song where people can relate.
3. I Will Play My Game Beneath the Spin Light - This little number starts out acoustically, but builds. From what I can gather, it's about traveling and being homesick.
4. Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't - This is one of the first songs that I ever learned how to play on the guitar. Jesse's lyrics are honest as far as he's concerned, writing such lines as "Oh, it hurts to be this good" and "These are the words you wish you wrote down/This is the way you wish your voice sounds." Different styles of music are evident throughout.
5. The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows - Brand New's first single. I think. Either way, it's an excellent song. The bridge is, by far, my favorite part.
6. The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot - This is one of the true standout songs on this album. It's an apology from Jesse to an ex-girlfriend that he dumped for no reason. Mostly acoustic.
7. Jaws Theme Swimming - This song has a different sound than most songs on the album. It has a rather jazzy feel to it, I think.
8. Me vs. Maradona vs. Elvis - I love this song. It's...well, I guess that, in a sense, you could say it's brutally honest. Sample lyric: "I will lie awake/Lie for fun and fake the way I hold you/Let you fall for every empty word I say" Acoustic until the end.
9. Guernica - This is the song that Jesse wrote about his grandfather's cancer diagnosis. In it, he offers his own lungs and wishes that he could enter his grandfather's body and remove all of his cancer.
10. Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention, All I Have To Do Is Die - This is my favorite song. Written about the greed of the men behind the music (i.e. lawyers and such), it's exactly 7 minutes long. I love the guitar part.
11. Play Crack the Sky - This is a well-written metaphor for the terrible world of heartbreak and heartache. Completely acoustic.
This album might be hard for some fans of Brand New (or, in particular, Your Favorite Weapon) to accept, but the change was a good one. Indeed, Jesse, himself, stated that, had they created another YFW, he felt that his fans would be cheated. Whether you're already a Brand New fan or not, I definitely recommend picking up this album, or at least giving it a good listen. You just might think that I made some sense.