Profile for David O. Zaldivar > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David O. Zaldivar RSS Feed (Texas)

Page: 1 | 2
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite , 6-Inch, Wi-Fi, With Special Offers
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite , 6-Inch, Wi-Fi, With Special Offers
18 used & new from $82.90

1,194 of 1,299 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars The Paper-Bruise, October 15, 2012
First - Amazons Customer Service is amazing. I was sent two replacements after having issues with the first.

Unfortunately, ALL three had the same issue - pink/green/blue hues over varying locations of the screen. I'm not talking about the "cones of light" at the bottom (which aren't bothersome) - these are clearly visible hues of blue/green/pink which comprise the entire screen, and are present from about 10 all the way up to 24 (in a lit room).

Literally one sentence may be illuminated behind a background that starts out blue then turns to pink. It's very distracting, especially coming from the Nook Glow which didn't have this issue.

This IS a 5* device, but the problem is so distracting it takes you out of the book..and no matter how good the cover/software are (they're great BTW) - that's a fatal flaw.

I'm still within the return period, and frankly I'm struggling if I should keep this or not. I'm concerned that once this problem is fixed, will those of us with bruised units be allowed to exchange it for the "paperwhite" we paid for?

Edit -

I really feel bad for having to give this device a 1* review. The review I wanted to write addressed how nice having cover view is, how solid and well built the device feels, how spectacular the cover complements it and how worthwhile getting special offers removed was..because the "swipe to unlock" screen is gone, and you're brought straight into the book once the opened cover awakens the device. Quick and easy.

I don't think the blue/green/pink hues necessarily justify a reason for the device to get reduced to 1* - but for the sake of alerting Amazon to the problem (and having seen three units with the same issues, + numerous pics from the mobile read forums), it feels justified - until Amazon takes further action to correct the problem.

Edit (Oct. 16) - I received a very nice phone call from an Amazon employee today. They offered to either let me return this unit, exchange it for another (which would be my fourth), or make a note on my account and in a few months once the issues are resolved, let me exchange it for a proper unit. She reminded me about the one year warranty, and clarified that it would be covered under the defect clause, anyway.

I'm satisfied.

However, this will remain a 1* review so people who sort it will be aware of the problems. I'll update it once I have a proper unit in my hands.
Comment Comments (38) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2013 2:30 PM PDT

Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover Black for iPad 2 and iPad (3rd/4th generation)
Offered by alwayz-on-sale
Price: $79.99
138 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., May 10, 2012
I've owned numerous keyboard cases for the iPad (well, 4 others) - this is the one I'm keeping. The functionality is just absolutely perfect, typing is smooth and natural (after the initial "full sized to tablet size" adjustment, but that's with any of them).

I was worried about the back of the iPad lacking protection, so I bought the Belkin clear backing case. I returned it. There are magnets in the "stand" portion (the white strip where the iPad sits), and the case hindered the ability of the magnets to connect. They were much more looser, and you lose the ability to grab the iPad when it's connected (in the white stand strip) and hold it like normal. The keyboard would hold for a bit, then promptly fall flat due to the weakened magnet connection.

So my solution was a slipcase. I bought the Targus A7 one, but there's about an inch of free space where the iPad can shift around, and it's more case than necessary. It's a nice case and fits it, but I've ordered the Targus Crave slip (smaller, made specifically for the iPad) - in hopes it fits both keyboard and iPad more compactly.

As mentioned above one of the nice features are the magnets in the dock strip. You can use the keyboard as a stand (with bluetooth off), and pick the iPad up by it's edges and type via touch screen - the keyboard stays connected, unless you twist it back and disconnect the magnets. Connecting it like a smart cover is as easily as moving the iPad over the magnets - they latch, you can let the iPad close shut, and it turns itself off/on. It's a smooth motion and quick once you get the feel for it.

When you "unclam" the iPad from the Keyboard (when the smart magnets are connected), there's a bit of a learning curve on getting a feel of what angle will disconnect it, where you should grab it to maintain control over it, etc etc. The first few times I did it, I either opened it too much, twisted it, or pulled too strongly - which sent the keyboard falling straight to the ground.

You eventually get a feel for it, and learn where to hold onto it so that doesn't happen.

Cons are the plasticky internal construction, the plasticky "smart" magnets, and to a lesser extent (if you care) the finger print factor (it's very high). A built in stylus slot would be absolutely perfect as well (good luck drawing a diagram or chemical equation with the keyboard..).

The pros greatly outweigh the cons, and owning it and putting it through tons of use the past week, has only increased those feelings. Very highly recommended.

THE keyboard to get.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2012 5:02 AM PDT

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars There's (significantly) better available.., February 11, 2012
I wanted to like these, I really did..

I think they look awesome, they feel sturdy and durable, their range is very impressive, they have good call quality, and they sound great (you people complaining didn't get a good seal with the eartips or turn off eq).

However - they hurt, they're restrictive (as in turning your head or looking up/down may loosen the seal), and there's an obvious lump at the back of your head. Depending what jacket I wore they tended to get in the way and something I never considered was that they didn't fit in my pocket (a nice feature when you're walking to the grocery store and don't want to wear them inside around people).

Enter the Jaybird Freedom (AKA JF3):

These are about ten bucks more than the S10HD retail price, but seem like they're from a whole other league. Wearing them with the cord up allows unimpeded head movement, they fit easily into a pocket, they sound great, disappear into your ears...and they're PAINLESS! Jaybird even offers a lifelong warranty against sweat. The S10HD does have a slightly longer battery life, and gets a significant bluetooth range increase (as it's bigger, obviously), and the call quality is perhaps better on the S10HDs.

However - the JF3 is the much better product. Aside from what I named above (range, battery, call quality), the JF3 tramples all over the S10HD. It has significantly better comfort, portability, ability to stay in place, access to buttons, ability to disappear in ear, etc etc etc

You just can get about 2 hours longer of battery life with the S10HD, and walk slightly further away from your phone. Callers might say you sound clearer on the S10HD, although I haven't had any complaints with the JF3...just the S10HDs did it very well. Is that worth pain, discomfort, bulkiness at the back of your head, having the back get in the way of clothes, constantly feeling pressure around your head, and having to be careful about pressing buttons due to fear or dislodging the earpiece? Or having to spend slightly longer getting a good seal in place, and not having complete range of motion of your head?

To me - no. These went back, and the JF3 remained. These felt like a step backwards in so many ways..

JayBird Freedom Bluetooth Earbuds, Retail Packaging, Midnight Black
JayBird Freedom Bluetooth Earbuds, Retail Packaging, Midnight Black
Price: $63.98
42 used & new from $38.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great after solving the annoying cable problem.., February 8, 2012
Yes, the cable bouncing behind your back and sticking to your skin is the biggest drawback of these. However, I discovered through some miracle that despite my giant head I was able to wrap the cable up and behind my ears and have it rest loosely on top of my head. The cable junction isn't under pressure nor is the cable bent tightly, and I can turn my head quickly from side to side very smoothly (as in - you're being attacked from both sides while on a run and need to look quickly at each attacker) - as if there's nothing at all on my ears/head. And the cable blends into my naturally dark hair (don't know what to tell you if you're blond).

I pair it with my Evo 4G, and tried jogging outdoors with my phone in a few different places:

1. My back right pocket: Audio cuts out annoyingly every few seconds.
2. My front right pocket: Better, but depending how I move (I guess if my shoulder gets between the blutooth internal in the R earbud, and my phone) it cuts out.
3. Arm band on L side: Cuts out every few minutes depending how I run (if my body blocks the path from phone to bluetooth receiver).
4. Arm band on R side: Spectacular!!!!!!! NO audio cutouts!
5. Phone placed on opposite side of room while I move around freely: Spectacular! Also no cutouts!

I received two calls while out exercising - the first I was walking by houses and didn't want to scare the residents by a loud booming voice from outside at night, so I tried being polite and talked quietly - the caller (my mom..) told me to speak up and mentioned hearing cars driving by.

The second phone call I received I was at home. My wife called while I was doing chores (something else they're great for!) and my podcast paused, I heard a series of beeps to which I pressed the answer button to. I talked a little louder than normal (I don't know why) and we had a conversation without problem, she even claimed I sounded "fine." The phone call ended and my podcast resumed.

Regarding their fit - when I first received them I placed the ear hooks and ear cushions on them (as well as selecting properly sized tips), and they stayed in great. Putting them on was a chore though, so I got rid of the ear hooks and used only the ear cushions - success!!!

Jumping jacks, jogging, push ups, ...lounging on the couch and reaching for the remote...cause them absolutely zero movement. These things are secure, and - sweat or not - they're staying in.

Sound Quality wise...I'd rather not comment on it. I'm a headphone addict (yes, we exist) and literally reading about/trying/buying quality headphones is my hobby. However, wireless headphones are new to me, and I have nothing to compare these to. It would be completely unfair for me to say - for twenty dollars less you can get the significantly more clear, more accurate timbre, more detailed, flatter frequency response, greater sound stage Hifiman RE0. Ditto for the Etymotic HF5 (atleast on amazon, otherwise look for them just under two hundred). Those are wired and geared towards audiophiles and critical listening. Those will give you a significantly "better" audio experience (depending on what you're after at least) - however, do you enjoy having your ears unexpectedly yanked as an object you didn't notice happened to catch your cable?

And that's where these shine. If you're looking for the best audio experience in this price range - God help you, you're way off. Also off are the people judging these based on wired and/or more expensive headphones - really, your $300 wired set sounds better? Oh, but they're not sealed against sweat, WIRELESS, stay in during the sweatiest of routines, come with a lifetime warranty against sweat, or allow you to take phone calls seamlessly while working out? But they sound better - you don't say!?

In conclusion, I absolutely love these. I imagine different phones make a difference in quality - not all antennas on phones or bluetooth implementation may be equal, and some may..suck. However, with my phone and the way I use it (armband on R arm, cable loosely hanging on top of head) - it is spectacular. The earbuds disappear and are impossible to dislodge even when sweating, I can freely turn my head as if nothings on it (thanks to the cable loosely behind my ears and on top of my head), and phone calls are very passable (I had a 30 min call while writing this review without issue, I talked normal volume and was told I sounded "ok").

Highly recommended..

Edit -

After reading some reviews, I wonder if during phone calls people are turning up the volume through their phone..and not just on the headphones.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2012 2:53 AM PST

Sid Meier's Civilization V - PC
Sid Meier's Civilization V - PC
Offered by games_for_sale
Price: $10.99
61 used & new from $0.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Great BASE game for the next few years., September 27, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Maybe I look at this differently than others, but what I expect from Civ 5 is a game that sets a great *foundation* for future expansions and DLC. That's not saying it's bad or shallow on its own, just I have constantly in my mind "this is only the beginning." And personally, I like where it's headed!

According to Steam, I've played 10 hours so far and have experienced a crash only once. I play in windowed mode (maybe the people alt-tabbing all the time should switch to it too) and with everything maxed. I have a quad core processor (q6600), ATI 4870, Vista 64, and 4 gigs ram. It's definitely not "completely bugged" or "unplayable," although I think I experienced a gameplay bug only once (trade route disconnected along an unoccupied/connected road).

Regarding Steam - there are much worse drm schemes Civ5 could of used, the people ranting and raving about how horrible Steam is clearly have no idea how good they have it.

Anyway, highly recommended!

Sony SRF-M37W Walkman Digital Tuning Weather/FM/AM Stereo Radio (Black)
Sony SRF-M37W Walkman Digital Tuning Weather/FM/AM Stereo Radio (Black)
Price: $29.99
72 used & new from $10.90

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this thing!, September 27, 2010
If you're going to get this, understand that you're dealing with something that picks up radio waves - geography and positioning of the antenna (built into the unit for am/the headphone cable for fm) are important. I listen nearly 100% to am talk radio, usually I get clear reception, but there are times when I have to move the radio from the front of my shorts (stomach area) to the side (hip area) in order to get a clean signal. This is clearly written in the manual (yes, one's included!), and WORKS! So if you take it on runs like I do (and listen to am), expect to adjust its positioning as needed. Eventually you'll find what works for you and your path.

One feature I kept reading on here about it lacking was a light - true it doesn't have one, but it does have a location finding bump on the "2" button. The layout is easy enough to figure out in the dark or when not looking - you just feel for the "bump," (giving you "2") then move right or left to go to preset 1 or 3, down for 4/5 or the weather band.

Another thing I love about this is the belt clip, although not really a clip like the Sansa Clip+, or ipod shuffle, it just as well attaches securely to my running shorts waist band! No arm band or anything else needed!

My only gripe with it is that the "clock" button doesn't seem to do anything aside from initially setting the time. I would love to be able to listen to a station, push the "clock" button, and have the time pop up briefly on the screen...maybe my radio is defective, but the "clock" button does absolutely nothing. The time is only viewable when the radio is off, and when it is, the clock is constantly on.

And of course I would recommend upgrading the headphones to something of better quality such as the Koss Portapros. They're portable and open, but have a lifetime warranty from Koss and provide better sound quality than what Sony includes here.

In conclusion, I love this thing!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 8:49 AM PST

Bose Around-Ear Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Bose Around-Ear Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars What music do you listen to?, January 3, 2010
People may not realize how much headphones can "color" the sound of their music, if they have nothing else to compare them to.

Recently I was looking for a set primarily for classical music (although I listen to rock and electronic as well...Lacrimosa, Apoptygma Berzerk, And One, Anathema, VNV Nation etc etc), and I stumbled upon this set in a nearby store. While electronic music sounded great (thanks to the exaggerated bass), classical music often sounded muddy in the lows (very evident during one of my favorite Mahler symphonies), and not very natural sounding (meaning that violin during that Sibelius Violin Concerto may sound "off" and not quite "violin like").

What I ended up doing was returning these and upping my budget to double this price and buying the exceptionally better AKG K701, along with a temporary Fiio E3 amp (you NEED an amp for those, unlike this Bose set which play fine out of an Ipod or portable CD Player). For the classical music lover, if at all possible that's the route I recommend going with. The AKGs sound heavily with well recorded classical music (but at double the price of these), while this Bose set sounds colored and unnatural. If that's not possible, there are still many other brands (Sennheiser, AKG, Grados, etc) that offer much better at this price range. Keep in mind that some are better than others at different styles of music (ie, this Bose set unnaturalness with regard to classical music).

However, one thing not forgivable with this set is the insultingly cheap materials used in building them. There is so much better out there.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2010 10:44 PM PST

Koss Pro4AAT Titanium Pro Headphones
Koss Pro4AAT Titanium Pro Headphones
Price: $81.41
8 used & new from $81.41

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent build quality, terrible sound quality, December 30, 2009
I really wanted to like these. I love the weight to them, the sturdy looking/feeling construction, and especially the lifetime warranty. I wanted headphones to grow old with, and these appeared to be them. ..but then I listened to them.

I'll begin by saying I'm using a small portable CD player (and IPOD Classic), along with a small amp (the amazing Fiio E3 - amazing results for its cheap price. I don't think I can mention a dollar amount in a review, but lets just say a person working minimum wage in America can afford that amp after two hours worth of work). An amp is a necessity for this set, and without it you'll get low volume levels when using them with portable devices. Trust me, it's no fun to discover your nice new expensive pair of headphones refuses to be audible despite how loud you turn your portable CD player up. These headphones aren't intended to be used with low (power) output devices, so be sure to give it the juice it needs..use an amp.

Anyway I listen to classical music primarily, as well as your Apoptygma Berzerks, Lacrimosas, and Anathemas of the world. But that's irrelevant, because no matter what I played, these headphones were consistently beat out by others within its price range (sound wise, not construction/warranty wise). I remember reading from a reviewer that complained these really don't have a sound stage - and he's completely right. There's left, center, and right. When another comparably priced set of headphones presents better clarity and space between the instruments within that "left/center/right" field of sound...what else are you suppose to think about a pair that doesn't?

Out of what I tried (and ultimately returned from a store with a liberal return policy - Sennheiser HD280PRO, HD238, HD428, Bose Triports, Koss Pro4AAT), my favorite would be the HD280PRO, and would be what I recommend a person atleast looking into as an alternative to these. The Bose set also performed well, and has a distinctly different sound than the HD280PRO. Both are head and shoulders better than this Koss pair, except in warranty/construction of course.

In the end (and after probably being banned from the store), I was truly amazed at how much headphones affect the sound quality of music (especially with classical music), and I figured - since I'm already considering spending ..fourteen minimum wage hours on a pair of headphones, I might as well save up and buy something stratospherically superior to everything I tried out. Why commit to an inferior product when something (you intend to ultimately buy) is only a few weeks away? So I doubled my budget and bought the heavenly AKG K701. It's definitely not fair to compare the Koss set to this, but to the willing classical music lover, if at all possible to save up a little longer and work a few extra shifts, I really think you'll be amazed at the difference, just as I was. You're being robbed of so much within your music if this Koss set is what you use to listen to your music through. You deserve better (or maybe not, I don't know you).

And BTW, that Fiio E3 amp drives the AKG K701 set pretty well, too.

Fiio E3 Headphone Amplifier

Sennheiser HD 280 - Headphones ( ear-cup ) - black

BOSE(R) Triport Headphone - Silver

AKG K 701 WHITE HEADPHONES
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2010 8:56 PM PDT

Native Instruments Komplete 5 Virtual Instruments Collection
Native Instruments Komplete 5 Virtual Instruments Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy now!, July 3, 2009
I just bought my copy, installed it (5 hours) and registered all 11 programs. There is a LOT to go through, and this is really such an incredible price, especially considering more than one of the programs included alone go for this price!

So included - 12 disks , 12 manuals, 1 shoelace "Native Instruments" nametag holder, and a coupon for $25 off a Kore Sounds pack. Be sure to download the free "Kore Player" which is completely free on the Native Instruments website.

Harmony and Theory: A Comprehensive Source for All Musicians (Essential Concepts (Musicians Institute).)
by Keith Wyatt
Edition: Sheet music
Price: $14.79
96 used & new from $7.38

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, June 12, 2009
I'm primarily a self taught musician of around 10 years. I own many music books (5 or 6 on theory, then the rest piano/guitar sheet music, piano/guitar instructional), and would have to say this is the BEST for beginning music theory students. There are plenty of exercises with included answers - unlike the other "Theory and Harmony" book by Arnie Berle.

Be sure to answer ALL of the worksheets and internalize all of the information before moving on. One of the "one star" reviews here is because the author didn't do this..he even states that "NOWHERE does it explain what Root Position is" and gives it a one star accordingly. Meanwhile, what do we find on page 73? "A chord with the root in the bass, regardless of the order of the upper voices, is described as being in root position."

And then another one star reviewer (who double posted) seems to miss that this is a BEGINNING theory book based on popular music. This is the book to begin with, work through, and then JUMP from to a modern textbook such as "The jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine (or the textbook "Tonal Harmony" if you're interested in going that route). You'll have a much better grasp on theory, you'll be starting from a much further point in those books, and really - this book handles some topics better than either of those. Despite what that reviewer said, this will also take you further than many of the other beginner theory books (thumb through Berles "Theory & Harmony" to see what I mean). The only reason I say jump from this book is, honestly, it's 142 pages vs 500/600 pages of a textbook. OF COURSE there's much more depth within those textbooks..

So if you want one of the most clear theory books on the market - buy this one. Keep in mind there's a lot of memorization required in music theory, so be patient, STUDY and work through the answers. Intimidating concepts will becomes second nature with time, and this is the book to get you there.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2009 2:58 AM PDT