Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Northern CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Veepeak 10 LED Cabinet Closet Motion Sensor Night Light Lighting, Battery Powered Wireless Motion Activated Night Lighting, Stick on LED Wall Light, LED Motion Sensor Step Stair Night Lighting
Offered by flowers love
Price: $7.56
3 used & new from $7.56

5.0 out of 5 stars We had (and I happily use the past tense) a dark closet under our stairs ..., January 4, 2016
We had (and I happily use the past tense) a dark closet under our stairs that was just right for a shoe rack. It's dark, and running a wire to it was too complicated. The LED stick solved the problem. Open the door, and the light goes on automatically. Now it is easy to find lost shoes that have fallen from the rack or just find the right pair quickly. (We are a shoe-free household inside our home.)

I was a little concerned about the stick-on mounting approach for this particular area because of the design of the closet. Instead of sticking the LED stick to the closet frame, I stuck it to a piece of acrylic sheet 2" wide and an inch longer than the LED stick. Two holes in the plastic and a couple of wood screws did the trick. The LED stick is removable in the event that battery changing proves tricky.

Easy Ladies Plush Slippers Animal Designs (Medium, Leopard)
Easy Ladies Plush Slippers Animal Designs (Medium, Leopard)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice gift, January 1, 2016
We bought the slippers as a gift for a person who normally wears "small." Small was too small for her, so we exchanged it for "medium." The recipient is happy with the gift.

Arduino Cookbook, 2nd Edition
Arduino Cookbook, 2nd Edition
by Michael Margolis
Price: $26.10
103 used & new from $8.61

5.0 out of 5 stars This is definitely the book to buy to explore Arduino., January 1, 2016
I bought the book as a newby to Arduino, but not a newby to programming languages or circuits because I wanted to explore a range of the practical applications of a user-friendly microcontroller. There is lots of web-related material on Arduino, some good, some not so good and some good but very poorly written. I was favorably impressed by the range of uses, the quality of explanation, and the quality of writing, which is easy to read and easy to understand. The author is also generous with references to additional materials for those who want to explore topics in greater depth.

I constructed a number of the "recipes" in the "cookbook", and each worked as promised. I am totally happy with my purchase, and I definitely recommend this book.

Electrohome Projection Alarm Clock with Battery Backup and Audio Input
Electrohome Projection Alarm Clock with Battery Backup and Audio Input
Offered by ShopTronics
Price: $29.99
7 used & new from $14.91

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a great buy and works very well, September 21, 2015
We've had the alarm clock only a day. It's definitely a keeper, and we think it is a great buy, but may or may not be for you. Here are some shortcomings that might bother you in our priority order:

-Manual three-step brightness control for front panel display - Off, very bright, and OK as a night light. We'd love the unit to be automatically adaptive with a light sensor.
-Ceiling projection image can be rotated 0 degrees or 180 degrees. 90 degrees would be terrific.
-Small speaker with not-so-great fidelity (Not a big issue for us because we have a much better speaker tied to our handheld device, and we listen to internet radio)

As you can see, the list of negatives is really small.

The device is very clever and has many, many positive features:
- Value priced
- Easy to read with large numerals
- Room thermometer
-Good quality projection of time/temp
-Battery backup in case of power failure
-Compact size and nice design
-AM/FM Radio is a bonus for us. The radio comes in quite well. There is an FM pigtail antenna which you can position for best reception.
-Two alarms with ability to set alarm for M-F only, all 7 days, just the weekend, or pick a single day (Excellent feature)
-Alarm choice: buzzer, any preset radio station with volume selection
-Very good directions (Don't lose them! Some things might not be intuitive.)
-The list goes on

What would it take to get a 5* from us? automatic adaptive brightness via a room light sensor. We're happy with our purchase and recommend the clock.

PriorityChef Knife Sharpener for Straight and Serrated Knives, 2 Stage Diamond Coated Sharpening Wheel System, Black
Offered by Priority Chef
Price: $34.95
4 used & new from $11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use this sharpener, September 20, 2015
The sharpener is easy to use and performs as advertised. Push or Pull (not both) the knife through the sharpener, et voilla you have a sharp knife. The diamond wheels do take some metal off, so this is a sharpener and not a sharpening steel. Once sharpened, a knife needs only to be touched up to be sharp for awhile using a sharpening steel or a hone that is used like a steel (Chef's Choice Oval Diamond Sharpening Steel, for example, but there are others for sale at Amazon). We actually have both. The trick is to take off the minimum amount of metal and still have sharp knives. After you buy this sharpener, then buy a sharpening steel (non-abrasive). If you crazy about sharp knives, like I am, then buy an oval diamond hone as well.

Against the Grain: Extraordinary Gluten-Free Recipes Made from Real, All-Natural Ingredients
by Nancy Cain
Price: $20.19
62 used & new from $12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A different way of baking - great book for those who bake gluten-free breads, September 16, 2015
The author poses a very different way to bake gluten-free, and it has recipes that generally do not contain xanthan and guar gums. This is something that people who are sensitive to these gums will be interested in. The recipes also use a very different type of buckwheat flour (Acadian silver) that bakes up golden in color, has a very mild flavor and is available from Amazon.

If you buy this book, and I recommend doing so - I buy very, very few gluten-free cookbooks, you will also want to locate Ms Cain's blog. Search for "Against the Grain Cookbook FAQ" (no quotes). It extends the reach of the cookbook to dairy-free and egg-free. It also has recommendations for substitutions that you may want to use especially if "grain-free" is not important to you. Technically, most of the ingredients in the book are "grain-free." because neither tapioca starch nor buckwheat (a relative of rhubarb) are grains. As you know, buckwheat is not wheat and is not related in any way.

I have been experimenting with some of Ms. Cain's recipes. In general I like them; however, I have made some changes that I think improve the result. For example, I have sought to reduce the amount of refined starch to 50% - 60% in some of the bread recipes by substituting some whole grain sorghum flour for some tapioca starch. (I'm not "against the grain".) I count "whole grain" (technically not a grain, but you know what I mean) buckwheat and whole grain sorghum in the equation that yields the percentage of whole grain products in the bread.

One spectacular recipe in the book is bagels. If you look at the recipe, you'll see the spot in it where there is an opportunity to substitute a whole grain ingredient for "extra" tapioca starch. Sorghum works really well. The result is a fabulous bagel which I am still trying to refine further to eliminate the last bit of "gumminess." I'm just being a perfectionist. The bagels straight out of the book are just fine, and the sorghum substitution make them even better. Still, the recipe can be perfected. The flat bread just out of the cookbook--use the Acadian buckwheat or off-the-shelf buckwheat-- is fabulous.

Please note: Different from virtually all other gluten-free bread recipes, this cookbook does not use or recommend a heavy-duty electric mixer. I read the directions and then defied them. Not a good idea. The pregelatinized mass that replaces the gums breaks down with too much energetic mixing, even mild mixing with the Kitchen Aid stand mixer. We don't have a food processor, which is what Ms. Cain suggests, so I mix by hand using a silicon rubber spatula and a large mixing bowl. This works just fine. If you have a food processor use it gently. If not, you'll do just fine with a rubber spatula.

Why am I trying so hard to refine these recipes? We have a lot of really good bread recipes, and one even made the pages of Living Without magazine. However, only Ms. Cain's recipes have no xanthan or guar gum, and that makes it unique in my mind.

AmazonBasics 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Bag
AmazonBasics 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Bag
Price: $23.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous for the cost, September 16, 2015
The lightweight tripod is just the thing for my Canon DSLR which is not all that heavy. The tripod is very sturdy and has locks for virtually all of the degrees of freedom. This is an excellent feature, and it was missing from the tripod that this replaces. There are two spirit levels that are very useful for totally leveling the camera.

If I were to complain, and it is really minor, it is that the rack and pinion assembly that cranks the camera up and down feels a little crude. It was much more refined in the tripod that this replaces. Again, this is a very minor complaint because the rest of the tripod has many refined features.

This tripod is a very good buy for the occasional user. If you use a tripod daily or if your camera is heavy you might want to think of another brand. Most of my photos are handheld, but I want a tripod for the occasional shot.

Bradstreet Gate: A Novel
Bradstreet Gate: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Four star writing with unforgivable omissions, August 12, 2015
Is this book worth reading: yes. Was I disappointed: very. How come: This new author writes very well, and I'm sorry her pre-publication reviewers and mentors didn't do better by her. I got my book at the public library, and you should, too. The book is worth reading: You could enjoy the characters (who are dysfunctional, but we know people like this) and the situations of the highly educated from an Ivy League school. Robin Kirman probably knows these people because she is a graduate of both Yale and has a Columbia MFA in fiction - very Ivy League. Just to let you know, the plot has a number of contrivances (but authors do that and it is OK if the thread is not too thin).

Spoiler Alert.

Omission #1: Julie Patel's murder is not solved. But Julie's murder is part of the structure of the book, and although Julie is very much dead, her death is ever-present in the book. Yes, in reality many murders are not solved. But in an instant the author too conveniently erases all clues to the murder. Apparently, the author wants us to believe that the shady and self-serving Rufus Storrow (notice he hard-edge sound of his name) is the guilty party. If Rufus was Julie Patel's murderer, the disagreement between the two would not warrant such drastic action as murder. She was killed, but none of her possessions were stolen. Someone wanted her dead. The murder seems like an act of passion. Rufus is not a rash character. He is calculating and cool but never rash. Since Julie's death is central to the book, the fact that there was no effort towards a resolution is unforgivable. While I would generally average plot (2 stars) and writing quality (4 to 4+ stars) together to yield a 3* review, this omission is egregious. The good doesn't make up for the bad.

Omission #2: The book ends without an ending. Paraphrasing T.S. Elliot, the world ends in a whimper and not a bang. Maybe so, but this doesn't sell books. The ending was exceedingly weak.

My view is that an otherwise very good book was served undercooked. I ask again, where were Ms. Kirman's reviewers and mentors? Why didn't they warn her?

Microsoft Lumia 640 Case, CASEFORMERS Duo Armor BLACK for Microsoft Lumia 640 Combo Case with Stand and Holster
Offered by HandHelditems

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, July 22, 2015
Received this case as a gift from my daughter who bought it from Amazon as a gift for me. I have a similar case for the Lumia 635, and while that case is a bit clunky, I like it a lot better than the 640 case for one reason, and one reason only. The spider-like case back for the 640 is now made of a flimsy plastic. And while that makes the overall unit lighter (good), it also fits my Lumia poorly because it is a bit loose. That was not the issue for the 635 case which hugged the 636 black gasket tightly. Caseformers did improve the case cover in one way on the 640 because it is now easier and quicker to remove the front cover. Should you buy this to protect your Lumia 640: definitely yes. Should Caseformers go back to a sturdier back instead of the light weight plastic: definitely yes
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2015 8:05 PM PST

TaoTronics Dimmable Eye-Care LED Desk Lamp (9W, Flexible Neck, 7-Level Dimmer, Touch Controller, No Flickering, No Ghosting, Matte Black)
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute product that is stylish and works well, June 28, 2015
I bought this for my wife who does cross-stitch under a 2-tube fluorescent desk lamp. This one runs much cooler, and the light is easier on the eyes. The color of the light is also more accurate than the fluorescent, so the yarns look more like they do under sunlight.

This is a really nice lamp, and it is well priced.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4