Profile for Willie V. Hughes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 434

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Willie V. Hughes RSS Feed (Portland, Oregon)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Behringer EUROLIVE B205D Active 150-Watt PA/Monitor Speaker System
Behringer EUROLIVE B205D Active 150-Watt PA/Monitor Speaker System
Price: $199.99
12 used & new from $125.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Can you hear me? I have an announcement to make..., July 17, 2014
...this PA system / monitor is the real deal!

I read the reviews, but I shook my head and said there's no way such a small little speaker could cut the mustard. But it can, and it does.

To be clear: The speaker is small, so you're not going to get bowel-shaking bass notes. But it's a loud lil' sucker, and I was really surprised at the amount of volume it was able to put out. Super-versatile inputs, nobs, switches, and knobs. All up-front and easily accessible. The thing is so light too and would be perfect for gigging. I'm going to use this to replace my larger (and much heavier) keyboard amp / PA system.

My only gripe is the mount for a mic stand. It's at an odd angle. It cants the speaker up a bit. I guess it's the perfect angle if you want the speaker on a short stand and you're using it for vocal monitoring. But otherwise, I'd prefer the mount make the speaker totally level when mounted straight-up on a mic stand.

I read through a lot of reviews and saw mention of several of these units that fried or died quickly. We're all gambling a little when we buy an inexpensive speaker designed by Germans but built by the Chinese. Still, for the price, this speaker is a steal. Don't even hesitate, just get one.

Arturia MicroBrute Analog Synthesizer
Arturia MicroBrute Analog Synthesizer
Offered by gearcentral
Price: $269.00
22 used & new from $249.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A review for keyboard beginners..., July 16, 2014
This is clearly a powerful analog synthesizer for a great price, but I still found it to be far too complicated and limited. Trying to get the hang of this unit reminded me of an old quote about helicopters, "For every hour you spend flying, you spend 4 hours on maintenance of the aircraft."

This is not a unit you plug in and play right away. You have to create your sounds from scratch, and that takes time. I'm admittedly a novice, and I found that it took a lot of time making adjustments before I came up with a sound that was pleasant or usable. There's no way to save sounds you like, so you must use a paper overlay to note the position of the knobs, sliders, and switches.

If you're willing to commit to a bit of a learning curve and to spend the time dialing it in, the unit will produce some very authentic analog sounds. Personally, I'm going back to try the Korg MicroKorg. It's a little easier for me to get the hang of, it can be powered by batteries, it's polyphonic, and you can save your favorite sounds and quickly access presets.

VIPERTEK VTS-989 - 19,000,000 V Heavy Duty Stun Gun - Rechargeable with LED Flashlight
Offered by Deals Plus
Price: $24.98
3 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pzzzzt!, July 11, 2014
Seems like a good design, solid, and well-built. The only negative I can see is that there's no charge indicator or charge status, and the charge cord has no regulator. You basically plug it in overnight and guess as to whether it's fully charged. Overall, it shouldn't likely be a problem because-- unless you've got some real serious problems in your life-- you shouldn't be using the unit to the point of full-discharge on a daily or weekly basis like you might with a cell phone or iPod.

Jesus Christ on Killing
Jesus Christ on Killing
by Sgt Charlie Eipper
Price: $13.54
15 used & new from $9.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Jesus Christ Loves You... But Hates This Arrogant Cop, July 7, 2014
Can you simply imagine what it'd be like to meet Jesus Christ. Shake his hand? Hug him. Ask him a question. Or Several. And then to hand him a copy of this book and ask him what he thinks of an arrogant and self-righteous prick like this cop writing a book, justifying killing, in Jesus' name.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2014 12:02 PM PDT

1-Foot Extension Power Cable, 5-Pack
1-Foot Extension Power Cable, 5-Pack
Offered by PiThree
Price: $12.19
11 used & new from $6.16

5.0 out of 5 stars These extension cords... extend., July 1, 2014
There isn't much to say. These are the world's shortest extension cords, but that's kind of the point. I used a few for some wall/floor outlets where the angle just wasn't right to plug some bulky adapters in. They can also be used to save space where AC wall-warts are hogging space on a power strip or wall/floor outlet. Great buy, great product, great price.

Etekcity® 5 Pack Auto-programmable Function Wireless Remote Control Outlet Light Switch with 2 remotes ZAP 5LX (Battery included) For lamps, lights and power strip
Offered by Etekcity
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $27.83

5.0 out of 5 stars How did we ever live without these!?, July 1, 2014
I've had other remote units made by Radio Shack, Stanley, and another brand I can't remember. I had one unit that came with one remote. Another than came with three. And another that only had one-- and always buzzed. There was nothing necessarily wrong with the others, but this 5-pack is much more versatile. I can't speak to the "learn" or "unlearn" function because I just plugged these all in, and they all worked. There are a couple of things I don't like: (1) the wall units should come labeled with numbers, (2) the remote looks pretty cheap (especially with the amateurish logo at the bottom), and (3) the wall units are a little big. Still, all of these negatives are minor and the convenience of simply having one remote control five lamps around the house is priceless. Or, in the case of this 5-pack, quite inexpensive.

Philips Norelco AT811/41 PowerTouch with Aquatec
Philips Norelco AT811/41 PowerTouch with Aquatec
Offered by ONESOURCEIT
Price: $64.98
6 used & new from $64.98

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite Philips Norelco shaver, June 24, 2014
I have a total of three Philips Norelco shavers. I never intended to have three, but in a couple of work emergencies, I ended up buying one realizing at the office that I forgot to shave or on a trip that I forgot to pack my shaver. Two of my shavers are basically the same model (same replacement blades too) so I was skeptical when I bought this one because it uses a different head and set of blades. This is supposed to be a wet-dry model. I never shave in the shower, so I can't speak to that feature, but the dry mode is excellent. Better than my other two shavers. Fast and smooth shaving. The red handle is cool too. Like a Ferrari red. The replacement shaving heads-- as of the time I write this anyway-- are mid-priced (not the least expensive, not the most expensive).

The only drawback I can see to this model is that it doesn't come with a case. Mine didn't anyway. My other Philips Norelco shaver (purchased several years ago) came with a very nice foam rubber interior and hard aluminum exterior case which is excellent for travel. This newer model (for about the same price) didn't even come with a canvas or polyester bag.

Gorilla Rack GR5-3012-5PCB 30 by 12 by 60-Inch Shelving Unit with 5-Shelf, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Stronger than Mama Fratelli! Strong as Sloth!, June 10, 2014
I was absent minded and didn't measure what I needed, so this shelving unit was actually a little smaller than I'd expected. Still, it's wide-enough for four standard GI surplus ammo cans so that was good enough for me.

When you go to assemble them, the parts don't seem very impressive. But if you take the time to tap everything into place, the shelves come together nice and solid. You'll need a rubber mallet for sure. I assembled my set in the standard configuration-- although there are instructions for how to create a sort of workbench. Assembly took several minutes, but would be greatly accelerated if you've got a second set of hands.

Silly as it sounds, I can't say enough good things about the final product. Who gets excited about shelves? Well, I spent a lot of time and hand-wringing at Costco, Home Depot, and then finally shopping on Amazon. When I ordered these, I wasn't sure if they'd fit the bill. But I loaded the shelves up with a crazy amount of stuff and was stunned that the shelves didn't buckle or even creak. I just kept loading it up with more stuff, and it seems rock-solid. Nice.

One last thing to consider: I looked at other beefy shelves and the shipping weight concerned me. I don't want to get a 65-85 lbs set of shelves because a box like that can really break your back. One of the shelving units I looked at in Costco was over 100 lbs and required two people just to put in the cart. I think the shipping weight on these Gorilla shelves is around 35 lbs and the box was easy to transport in my car and move to the garage for assembly. Again, they don't seem like much. Just stamped and punched steel. But the strength is in the age-old engineering of locking tabs like the ones used here, particle board, and the assembler taking the time to lock everything into place.

Very happy with these shelves. Enjoy.

Perfektion Pack of six different colors, 1 foot Guitar - instrument Patch Cables (Right Angle) - Can be used for FX (effects) pedals, Instruments, and More
Offered by AAA Musical
Price: $12.14
3 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pedal cables with a splash of color, June 10, 2014
These are great cables for connecting effects pedals and I love that they have a little color (both for fun & better organization). To top it all off, the price is right. Cheers.

Eco Yoga Cork Blocks 1 Pack 4 in x 6 x in x 9 in Larger Size
Eco Yoga Cork Blocks 1 Pack 4 in x 6 x in x 9 in Larger Size
Offered by Bean Products
Price: $15.95
2 used & new from $13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Why buy foam when you can go au natural?, June 10, 2014
I love this cork block. I bought a couple of foam blocks around the same time that had awful Chinese off-gassing. This block had no odor and has a very nice feel. Love it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20