Profile for Pikminfan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 106

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pikminfan "bobsworld3" RSS Feed (Rossburg, Ohio United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Killzone: Shadow Fall (PlayStation 4)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (PlayStation 4)
Offered by Walled Garden
Price: $25.25
213 used & new from $19.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Spawned from Hellghast, November 20, 2013
Next gen is here and according to Sony, “Greatness Awaits”. It looks like greatness may have to wait a little longer though because “Killzone Shadow Fall” definitely isn’t it.

Now don’t get me wrong. If drop dead gorgeous, but painfully generic first person shooters with aggravating and pointless free fall/flying sections are your thing, and you love games that are hollow, shallow and soul-less to their very core-plus you are completely opposed to anything that even resembles action in your first person shooter then you are in for a monster treat here.

For fans of the Killzone Series however, outside of a few cut scenes there’s really not much here that immerses you into the rich universe that is Killzone. There’s no longer a sense of being a star player or a hero in an epic war raging between races. There’s no sense of urgency or feeling that you are immersed in an epic battle to save mankind. Honestly there doesn’t seem to be much of any kind of threat here at all when it comes down to it. There’s lots of walking around though. Lots of walking around. See that waterfall over there? Yep. You get to walk over to it. See that scientist? Yep. Instead of shooting and blowing things up (who wants to do that?), you get to walk with her for a while. You also get to experience the joys of meandering aimlessly through large and completely barren terrains not having a clue where you are going because your direction indicator doesn’t work half the time, just hoping you finally stumble onto your next objective before you throw your controller and say “screw it, this game sucks”. There’s also a bit of walking in the dark. I especially enjoyed these areas of the game where it was so dark on the screen I could barely see anything at all. The walking experiences I had there were particularly memorable. I can honestly say that I have never experienced a game quite like Killzone Shadowfall where so much loving devotion was given to recreating (to the last detail) the entire experience of being a pedestrian.

So if you like trekking through large empty spaces completely alone and desperately searching for an enemy (or even TWO!) that you can finally kill, and you can’t stand too much action in your first person shooters-Killzone Shadow fall is your launch game of choice this holiday season.

For the rest of you odd ball types who actually want some action and intrigue in your first person shooters, do yourself a HUGE favor and skip this piece of Hellghast spawned dog s*** and pick up the Killzone collection for PS3 instead. Even KZ1-dated as is it is still an enormously more fun game to play than Shadowfall.

If Guerilla games wants to take the Killzone series in this new direction for PS4 this generation-that’s fine. Count me out though. Call me crazy, but I still like to have “fun” when I play videogames, not just look at pretty eye candy as I’m traipsing along the countryside with no one around and nothing at all to do. Oh, I forgot-the inclusion of the new OWL is pretty cool though. So there’s that I guess. Shadowfall was easily my number one choice of launch games. Of the three PS4 launch games I’ve played now, Shadow fall ranks dead last with a bullet.
Comment Comments (21) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2013 6:40 PM PST

Knack (PlayStation 4)
Knack (PlayStation 4)
Offered by Walled Garden
Price: $23.45
167 used & new from $17.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Knack Smaaaaash....., November 18, 2013
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
Make no mistake-Knack is a very different type of game. It's essentially two parts brawler, one part lite strategy. I was pretty keen on the game myself but I could definitely see how it would not be everyone's cup of tea. Of the three PS4 games I bought at launch though, Knack was the one I kept finding myself drawn back to. Without going into a lot of explanation I will just say that it was "fun" and I kept wanting to play it even after I had dabbled in the graphically superior Killzone and Assasin's Creed games.

Knack's biggest fault lies in its repetitive game play. The first several hours I played of the game on launch day were a blast. By day two though, the formula of "turn a corner, fight a set of enemies, collect some shards, turn another corner, fight another set of enemies, collect some shards, wash rinse repeat etc." began to get a little stale and the game grew more and more monotonous. For the final stretch to beat the game however, Knack seemed to get fun again. For the bulk of the 10 or so hours I put into the game I had a good time, It was just those middle hours I guess where the game seemed to drag a bit.

Should you buy Knack? That's a good question. First-forget about the ridiculously low review scores on certain gaming outlets. I'm sorry, but giving a game a 5 or less out of 10 is only warranted if the game is broken. Knack is not broken. Nor is it buggy. There are no technical issues that I found what so ever. In fact-this game seemed a whole lot less wonky to me then Assasin's Creed or Killzone (which actually quit on me while I was playing and sent a bug report to Sony). But as a $60 game, I would say, "No"-Knack is not worth $60. The graphics for starters look a little dated (though they do get better towards the end), but there's nothing here at all that really screams "next gen". I don't want to harp to much on this point since to me game play is more important but even so, the characters and locations seem dull and lifeless with no lighting to make them pop (hard to explain until you see the game for yourself) and no real pizazz. Knack himself looks pretty decent when he's shiny and such, but the other characters look very, very dated. Do you remember the film "Hoodwinked"? Yeah It's kinda like that-serviceable enough but not especially pretty. Also, the simplistic game play, though fun-is not a triple A experience. I think this should have been around $30 honestly. It would also have made a really great PSN game. For $30 I would say this game is a steal and it probably would have gotten better reviews. I thought Knack was a great game, but it's way over priced at $60. It's just too rudimentary of a game to earn the full $60 asking price. Sorry Sony, I love the game but that's a cold hard fact.

Perhaps what struck me most about Knack though was the potential that lies within it to become really great in the future. I had a blast with Knack, but there's so much room for improvement. There were a lot of great ideas in the game, but most of them were a little half baked to be perfectly honest. Opening up the world a bit and making it not quite so linear would be a good place to start. I would also suggest polishing the graphics, giving the story a little more oomph (or dropping it all together) and adding a bit more variety to the style of game play. Do this, and the next Knack could be a masterpiece. Seriously. There's a great concept here, it just needs to be fleshed out more.

In closing I would say that Knack is definitely a game you will want to experience eventually, but $60 for this game is way too much.

My final thoughts are to wait for a price drop or borrow from a friend. Don't miss out on this game though! It's a refreshing and different experience than the countless first person shooters out there.

Spartacus: War of the Damned: Season 3 [Blu-ray]
Spartacus: War of the Damned: Season 3 [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Liam McIntyre
Offered by American_Standard
Price: $26.68
63 used & new from $19.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bittersweet Farewell to a legendary show, October 18, 2013
I'm going to keep this review very brief and just say that the final season of Spartacus is a truly bittersweet one. After the somewhat uneven "Vengeance" I was glad to see "War of The Damned" end the series back on a really high note. Given the way everything ultimately played out though (not that we didn't know it was coming) it was really emotional to witness so many of the characters I had come to love see their final end. My hats off to STARZ and the creative team behind the Spartacus series who really elevated the material to must see entertainment. Both Andy Whitfield and Liam McIntire truly excelled at portraying Spartacus-each in his own unique way. Andy will always be the original and was sorely missed when he passed away, but Liam having had some giant shoes to fill-stepped in and ultimately hit his own stride. I will miss this show and all the great and supremely memorable characters it introduced. Likewise, I will miss the intricate scheming plots of the first couple of seasons and the insane over the top warrior fighting scenes from the later ones. (Not to mention the gratuitous sex and violence) So long Spartacus! You will be missed.

PS: If you are sitting the fence on whether to get the Blu Ray or the DVD, my advice is to pay the extra and get the Blu Ray. This show is drop dead GORGEOUS on Blu Ray.

After Earth (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
After Earth (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Jaden Smith
Price: $12.49
118 used & new from $3.12

3.0 out of 5 stars Some poor choices ruin an otherwise decent movie, October 14, 2013
Remove the knowledge from your brain that M. Night Shyamalan (who's career has sadly been on a major downward spiral the past decade) directed this film and view it with an open mind. Though "After Earth" is not one of the best Sci Fi films I've ever seen or have even seen recently, it's entertaining enough for a Saturday night viewing. I've seen a lot of folks lambast Will Smith here in the reviews for supposedly "promoting" his son Jayden, etc. I don't see it that way. I think there was a story to be told here with a boy at the heart of the story and the role just happened to be filled by Jayden Smith. I personally think Jayden did a serviceable enough job and I don't have any issues with his real life dad playing his on screen dad. I think it was a good fit.

What took me out of the movie though were some poor choices that really didn't make sense (spoilers ahead) The most obvious one was the ridiculous and pointless Southern accents. There really wasn't any explanation at all as to why the characters even had Southern accents, let alone the fact that they really, REALLY couldn't pull them off convincingly. It was more like listening to a parody of a southern accent. I was also put off a little by Will's hard a$$ father character. Yeah, yeah-I know it makes sense to have a stern father that can be made to respect the son by the son proving himself, but his portrayal of this character went beyond just stern (or fearless) into robot territory. Showing a little humanity might've helped a person actually like the character more instead of thinking he's a complete jerk 99% of the movie. Also-and this is probably my biggest gripe, you set up a story with the whole theme to be a son proving his worth as a man in his father's eyes, then when it's all said and done and the son has at last proven himself worthy, you go and throw it all away with one line. "I think I'd rather work with mom". It sounds like a petty gripe in the scheme of things and the line does earn a laugh but everything the boy been through, everything he's done to earn his stripes is thrown right out the window. It just makes the whole adventure seem suddenly pointless.

I think folks have been a little harsh in their criticisms of After Earth as it truly does have some merit. It's beautifully shot, it tells a compelling story, the special effects (for the most part) are pretty convincing and it's fairly unique. I just think a few poor choices soured an otherwise entertaining experience. I doubt the film would've earned such hatred if M. Night would've ghost directed this film under a different name. Granted he's earned some of that animosity, but on it's own merits-the direction of After Earth is just fine.

NEXT LEVEL 6010 Men's Tri-Blend Crew - Medium - Vintage Red
NEXT LEVEL 6010 Men's Tri-Blend Crew - Medium - Vintage Red
Offered by Under Moments
Price: $8.52
13 used & new from $6.65

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT shirt!!, October 1, 2013
What a great shirt! I hate 100% cotton tees because no matter what you do, they always end up stiff and scratchy to wear. On the contrary, this Tri-Blend T-shirt is is ridiculously comfortable, super soft and looks great. I ordered the vintage red shirt from "Nayked Apparel" and it shipped even faster than expected. I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase. I will be buying more. One of the softest, most comfortable T-shirts I've ever worn.

Toast 11 Titanium Pro Mac
Toast 11 Titanium Pro Mac

1.0 out of 5 stars Do. Not. Bother., October 1, 2013
Worthless. Completely and utterly worthless. That's the ONLY way to describe the epic fail otherwise known as "Toast 11 Titanium Pro". On a regular basis I use numerous Mac programs and this is the ONLY one that simply refuses to allow me to select it when tabbing through open applications. That's just a minor issue though. The larger issues are the constant "Toast Titanium (not responding)" messages I receive, the frequent force quits I must perform because the blasted program just sits there and doesn't do anything and the fact that it has taken up to a WEEK for me to back up data to Blu Ray which is why I bought this garbage in the first place. Oh, and by the way-I'm using a brand new 27" imac to run this mess on, a computer that typically zips right along when it comes to running everything else.

To call this piece of software a humongous steaming pile of s*** is putting it mildly. This is the buggiest most useless and unprofessional software I have ever used in my 20 plus years on the Mac. I've had 99 cent apps that ran circles around Toast 11 in the performance department. Toast 11 is officially busted. So much in fact that someone should get a hold of the better business bureau and report Roxio for selling Software Snake Oil. Now is the time for Roxio's competitors to rise to the challenge and create a Blu Ray authoring app on the mac that doesn't take DAYS to burn a Blu Ray. This is a pathetic excuse for software even by Roxio's recent standards. That's saying something. (Seriously, can anyone tell me what happened to Roxio? I remember they used to make some pretty good stuff!) Avoid this software like the plague. All it will do besides give you endless spinning beach balls is cause you massive amounts of frustration and cause you to hate yourself for wasting money on over priced software that is completely broken. Seek any other alternatives you can. This "software" is so busted I think current owners should be given a completely free version of Toast 12 that fixes all the countless issues with the software. But knowing Roxio-the next version of Toast will be just as useless as the current version and cost even more. Just like Adobe (with their B.S. "Creative Cloud" money grab), I think I'm officially done with Roxio.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2014 5:25 PM PDT

Rayman Legends
Rayman Legends
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $35.19
37 used & new from $25.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Fully Realized Game World, September 12, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rayman Legends (Video Game)
It's hard to say much about Rayman Legends that's negative. First and foremost-this game is drop dead GORGEOUS. I would really love for Ubisoft to do a companion coffee table book with the release of each new Rayman game that gives us a glimpse into the creative process including sketches, renderings, painting styles, color tests, line art and more (sort of like the Disney and Dreamworks "Art of" books. I would buy that book in a heartbeat. This game (like its predecessor "Rayman Origins") is absolutely brimming with jaw dropping characters, backgrounds, game elements, colorful worlds and whimsical enemies. I cannot say enough great things about the art style. Sure, games like the Dead Space series, Bio Shock, Gears of War and so many others boast some amazing graphics, but these past two Rayman games are graphically on par in every respect. The art style and animation is fully realized and consistent and just absolutely stunning and charasmatic beyond words.

My only criticism against Legends would be the same criticisms I had with it's predecessor (Even though this game has improved upon some of the concerns I had with Origins). These games are so beautiful and so creative that I want to bask a little in their colorful worlds. I want to take my time and soak up all the sight there are to see (and trust me, this thing is so full of eye candy it could make you diabetic) and enjoy the visual splendor I see at every turn. But what seems to be case instead is that the bulk of the levels seem to rush you through them as quickly as possible and the level is over before you really had a chance to truly enjoy it. I beat this game in two days and I didn't even play that many hours. Now I know there are a lot of extra things you can do to lengthen the game, but guess what? 90% of them require you to increase your pace even more so. I don't mind the occasional, "move your rear-end as quickly as you can" manic style of game play from time to time, but that seems to be the bulk of what Legends is all about. I can only imagine how much better an insanely beautiful game like this could be if it added a whole lot more levels and slowed down the pace a bit. Just think of a Mario style game but with Rayman graphics. (Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World come to mind) Holy cow. That would be a mind blower. It would put the old plumber to shame. It might not be a bad idea to lower the difficulty of the Rayman games a little either. Again-I had fun with the challenging game play, but I think a lot of kids would have a blast with the art style of Rayman but could never get past the difficulty of the game. Some of these levels are butt bustingly difficulty (Origins was even harder) It might create a more easily accessible game if they could just back off a little on the difficulty.

Small gripes aside-I thought Legends was a fantastic game. I hope Ubisoft continues to bring out more new games in this series. It would be a crime if they didn't. My only real suggestions for improvement as I mentioned would be to add a LOT more levels and to lower the difficulty while also offering the same great challenging and difficult levels for advanced players. That could only make a great game even better. Great job Ubisoft.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (Unrated Cut) (Blu-ray / DVD )
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (Unrated Cut) (Blu-ray / DVD )
DVD ~ Jeremy Renner
Price: $9.75
130 used & new from $3.00

2.0 out of 5 stars A schitzophrenic flop that squanders its bad a** potential, September 2, 2013
Exactly which audience was this film going for-Teens and Adults (as the R Rating, language and violence would suggest) or Children? (as the over the top hammy dialog and its ridiculous hyperbolic delivery would have you believe)

The premise of Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters was rife with potential and bad a**ery. Unfortunately the campy acting and overly exaggerated villain-speak made me feel like I was watching a silly little cartoon instead. Eye rolling and palms to the forehead aside-it was disappointing that the witches could manage to exaggerate every single line of dialog, yet Hansel couldn't even manage to fire his gun for the first forty minutes. Sadly this film didn't even get remotely interesting until the last twenty-FINALLY making good on its promising premise. By then it was too late though. They even set things up pretty good for a sequel but given H&G's poor reception I doubt it will happen. I'm convinced a sequel would've been a better film given that the original (hopefully) got all the crap out of the way.

It's disappointing to see Hollywood squander yet another promising premise. I couldn't tell if this film took itself way too seriously or not seriously enough. I was prompted to watch "Army of Darkness" immediately following because for the entire duration of H&G I kept imagining the witches boasting "I'll swallow your soul" then Ash popping up on screen to shove the siblings aside and blow the witches arrogant little heads off. If you're gonna fight cocky supernatural baddies that's how you get the job done. Talk just doesn't cut it. :)

True Blood: Season 6 (Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
True Blood: Season 6 (Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Various
Offered by Anchor*Media
Price: $39.49
30 used & new from $21.81

3.0 out of 5 stars The bloom is off the rose, August 22, 2013
(Warning: spoilers ahead)

In years to come-True Blood fans may look back on the scene from episode 9 where all the vampires are dancing and holding hands like a bunch of idiot as the PRECISE moment when True Blood jumped the shark. Now I'm not saying season 6 is all bad or even terrible. It's still True Blood so it's still entertaining. In some ways, I even thought it was an improvement over the disappointing season 5. The problem however seems to be two-fold:

1) This season lacked the feel of a "real" True Blood season. It almost felt like a "side season" or something not quite a part of the actual series but still related (sort of like Battlestar Gallactica one-offs like "The Plan" and "Blood and Chrome"). It just felt sort of empty and insignificant with no big threat or real enemy to fight. The big-bad this season looked like it was going to be Warlow. In the end however Warlow just came across as a chump, died like a chump and never really added much of anything to the story arch except for giving Sookie something and some ONE to do. The governor-another possible central threat likewise seemed unimportant and added nothing to the bigger picture. And what about Billith? Sookie was right on the nose when she said, "you're not a god Bill, you're just an a** hole." So really, out of three possible threats-there wasn't really much of any threat or any kind of real substance to keep the viewer interested.

2) This season was all over the place and I mean REALLY all over the place. Many of the characters we know and love seemed to do completely irrational things or they just became more and more unlikeable as the season went on. Eric was particularly nasty in the beginning, Bill was pretty much a dirt bag throughout even when he wasn't being Billith and even Alcide-who seems like one of the most morally grounded characters on the show became more and more unlikeable by the time the season ended. Also-the story seemed to change on a whim without any true direction as to where they were taking it. For those of you who watched this season-look back and try to describe it. You can pretty sum it all up in a sentence or two. "So yeah, the government decides to capture vampires to study and torture them then there's this Warlow guy who may or may not be a bad guy that Sookie jumps all over even though she's been giving Alcide the cold shoulder for years, oh and Bill is a god-somehow that factors into things, though I don't really see how...."

Don't get me wrong. This season was still entertaining and I still enjoyed watching it, but it just feels like if they don't start to right the ship a bit, True Blood could become the next show to fizzle out creatively and make us wish for it to end. Please, writers-get this show back on track. I miss the quality of the first four seasons.

PS: Writers- please also kill off Bill. Pretty pretty please. His character has run its course, and he's been a d**che bag for about three or four seasons now.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2013 3:25 AM PST

Elysium (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Elysium (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Matt Damon
Price: $14.99
102 used & new from $5.28

5.0 out of 5 stars The resurgence of great sci-fi continues, August 11, 2013
Fans of science fiction have been graced these past few years. At a time when most of us have been too preoccupied with comic book heroes to notice-science fiction has made a stealthy but definitive comeback. It wasn't giant sagas like Star Wars that kick started the resurgence either, instead it seems to have been brought on by smart, well written smaller budget or independent films. As a long time science fiction fan, I welcome its return to relevance.

I mention "District 9" in this review not only because it shares the same director-but also because I credit D9 as the beginning of the Sci-fi comeback. With District 9, Neill Blomkamp gave us a wholy original, intelligent take on the genre and showed us something we hadn't seen before. Subsequent small films like "Moon", "Monsters" and even "Attack The Block" (among others) solidified science fiction's triumphant return. And though there has been a wealth of smaller quality Science Fiction films It didn't hurt that the big boys like the Star Trek Reboot films, Pacific Rim, Prometheus & the remakes of Total Recall and Dredd were also a return to form.

Elysium gloriously keeps the resurgence going. Though it shares a great deal of DNA with its older brother District 9-Eylsium benefits from a bigger budget. Thankfully, that bigger budget always serves to ADD to the story rather than to detract from it and the film as a whole is a truly enjoyable experience from start to finish. There's something about Blomkamp's directing (I can't quite put my finger on it) that gives his films a sense of gritty realism. Though what you're seeing on the screen is make believe, it seems fully plausible and real, as if it really is happening right before your eyes. I was in awe during several scenes of the film even though there were no giant space battles or marching enemy armies or anything even resembling such in sight. There is just a sense of wonder and awe present throughout the film and it's all in the way the director presents the material. This was true for District 9 as well but its even more evident in Elysium. I'm not going to go into plot details or anything like that in this review-I really just wanted to say what a breath of fresh air it was to experience something so new amidst the summer bloat-buster season (Hey, I like the big budget stuff as well as the next guy-but there's still something to be said about story over explosions)

I can't wait to see what Blomkamp has up his sleeve next. I just hope it's another sci-fi gem like Elysium. I could also see this guy becoming the next Guillermo Del Toro or Joss Whedon. He's gonna do some big things in his career.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11