Profile for Primotenore > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 114

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Primotenore "primotenore" RSS Feed (Indiana USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Jack Irish, Set 2 Blu-ray/DVD combo
Jack Irish, Set 2 Blu-ray/DVD combo
DVD ~ Guy Pearce
Price: $18.99
19 used & new from $12.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as edgy; not as sexy; not as new..., June 24, 2014
**No Spoilers**

I just finished watching Jack Irish, Set 2 and while I enjoyed the show, it lacked the freshness of the first two. Jack is a bit timid, which surprised me, because I do not remember that quality in the first two episodes. Speaking of episodes, there is only one episode in this "set". Even at the price of $19.99, I felt overcharged.
The quality and production value of the show remains high and there are really good scenes. Pearce is a very fine actor, but as a series, the writers are going to have to do better and the producers are going to have to give their international market a better value. No more pre-ordering for me. I'll be patient and see what the product is.
If you've invested in the first set, you'll probably want to pick this up, but do not pay full price.
Recommended with reservations.

Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne / Aftershave, 3.4 fl oz (100 ml)
Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne / Aftershave, 3.4 fl oz (100 ml)
Offered by Shavetools
Price: $35.75
3 used & new from $35.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Complicated scent that is unique and intoxicating..., June 17, 2014
After all of the rave reviews of Alt-Innsbruck, I decided to add it to my shave den. The product comes in a 100ml bottle that is about 4" tall and square. It's a unique design, one that none of my other fragrances have; HOWEVER, there is no restrictor cap, which means the liquid will free-flow out of the bottle into your hand. (See my product photo) Now, if it were a typical aftershave, that wouldn't be so bad, but Alt-Innsbruck is a VERY pungent cologne. A little goes a very long way, so proceed with caution. The cost of $35.00 for 100ml (3.38 oz) = >&10.00/oz. is expensive.
Now to the scent. The big draw is their use of Virginia tobacco in the production. I am having a difficult time discerning the tobacco. My nose gets a fruity, floral, thick and heavy scent. I have since learned that it's not the tobacco LEAF that is used, but the flower of the tobacco plant. There is also a refreshing high note of menthol when first applied. The base notes are the tobacco flower. It's really an experience, this scent. I know of nothing similar.

**Update**
I have used this aftershave almost everyday since writing this review. I have grown to LOVE it. The scent is an acquired taste and low and behold..I acquired it. When I shave with a special edition shave cream: Tabula Rasa Steampunk, created especially for the members of the Shavenook Forum, with its cedar based scent, and finish with Alt-Innsbruck, I have reached shaving nirvana.
I have changed my rating from 3 to 5 stars, although the bottle opening does allow too much product to flow.
I can and do recommend this product enthusiastically.

Proraso Dioibarba Aftershave Lotion (Liquid) 100ml/3.4oz
Proraso Dioibarba Aftershave Lotion (Liquid) 100ml/3.4oz
Offered by The Grooming Lounge
Price: $14.00
3 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great AS, but let's correct the spelling: Dopobarba, June 7, 2014
The Italian firm Proraso manufactures an impressive line of shaving products. Their aftershave is a great way to finish off a shave. It's very citrusy, with herbal undertones. The burn is minimal. (If you have sensitive skin, may I recommend Proraso Proraso Liquid Cream After-Shave 3.4oz. It has the same scent, but is a cream. I have them both, but actually prefer the aftershave. At around $16.00 for 3.4 oz, that works out to about $5.00/ounce. I think that's a good price in today's market.
The scent is old-school barbershop and the Italians are very good at recreating that feeling with their shaving products. Oh, let me explain my review title. There is no such word in Italian as Dioibarba. Period. It's DOPOBARBA, which means "aftershave"

XCOM: Enemy Within
XCOM: Enemy Within
Offered by NYC Electronics
Price: $28.28
39 used & new from $22.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun game for the strategist and careful thinker..., June 1, 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: XCOM: Enemy Within (Video Game)
Pros: Great tactical experience. Turn-based, so there's no rush, but there's still tense moments.
Cons: Sight lines are often difficult to control.

For those gamers willing to think out every move; for those who live to micromanage a team of elite and ever changing soldiers, XCOM Enemy Within (hereafter XEM) is a dream come true. As a gamer playing since the days of the original Pong, my tastes have run the gamut. I love Resident Evil, FF Tactics, Persona, Tactics Ogre. I am now thoroughly enjoying XEM. I have to say upfront, I am playing the game on the easy mode. Everything I have read indicates that even on the Normal setting, XEM can be excruciatingly difficult. I am surviving by going slowly and NOT separating my troops from each other. The graphics and cut scenes are well done, but the cut scenes on the PS3 are a little jumpy. The interface takes some getting used to and the camera angle is tricky. Doable, but one wishes a better view of the screen. (-1/2 star)
I have not played XCOM Enemy Unknown, but don't feel that I am missing anything. This is a stand alone game.
I haven't figured out how to access all of my weapons in battle, that's frustrating. This is a deep, intricate and beautiful game for a strategy gamer. 4 1/2 stars/5 (I rounded up)

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap in Dish
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap in Dish
Offered by Columbus Washboard Company, Est. 1895
Price: $31.99
9 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Finicky product; takes practice to achieve a good lather..., May 30, 2014
The Fat is a common nickname among wet shaving enthusiasts for Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap. It has a rabid following and probably just as many detractors. Most of the controversy revolves around the lathering. MWF demands a combination of soft, lukewarm water and a pre-soaking of the puck. A dryish shaving brush loads a bit easier and whether you bowl or face lather, you have to watch the amount of water that is added.
The scent is "soapy" and hints of animal. Naturally, it's the lanolin from the sheep that gives the soap its scent and cushion. Some skin is sensitive to lanolin, so proceed with caution. For me, I have a slight sensitivity to lanolin, so I bowl lather and strictly paint the lather on my face, without scrubbing. The ceramic bowl is a nice touch, but really pushes the price point upwards. You'll get the same results from the refill puck and your own vessel. Every wet shaver should try MWF once in their life.

Chemex FS-100 Coffee Filters with 100-Chemex Bonded Filter Squares
Chemex FS-100 Coffee Filters with 100-Chemex Bonded Filter Squares
Offered by Peppercorn
Price: $13.19
8 used & new from $6.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, dependable, and functional..., May 30, 2014
The Chemex coffee system has been around for a long time. I have one that my wife and I use every weekend. One trick I have learned over the years: while you are heating your water, pre-heat the Chemex, with the filter in place. It's not difficult to pour out the water and reset the filter. If you haven't done this before, you'll notice right away that the coffee filter does not absorb the coffee above the water line. I haven't any proof, but I believe more coffee flavor drips through. The Chemex also filters out much of the oils from the coffee, producing a very bright cup. I enjoy that, but YMMV. The price of these filters works out to be about $.10 each. Worth it.

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Offered by Legendary Games
Price: $139.99
38 used & new from $7.45

5.0 out of 5 stars 65 Hours of my life are missing..., May 28, 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I had my first introduction with Tactics Ogre on the PS1. I ended up selling this game on eBay, because I was frankly bored with the leveling up to survive. To my astonishment, TO: KofL, drew me in and didn't let go until I had beaten the final boss, 65 hours later. Of course, that number is much higher, because of the numerous times I restarted not to lose a favorite character. Players of this game will soon discover that except for the training levels, once a character falls in battle it's "hasta la vista, baby" never to return.
This turned a lot of people off, but for me, it only fired me on to complete every level without perishing.
I became obsessed with getting my beloved friends leveled to near indestructiblity! There are some repetitions of backrounds, but there is a high sprite count and the cart takes full advantage of the GBA's graphic capabilities.
Excellent and deep story line and nice battle scenes. The dialogue never made me not want to skip it.
Great adult entertainment for fans of the strategyRPG. Take it to a cabin, or a lake and get ready to waste away a good hunk of your life.
Highly Recommended!

Captain's Choice Original Bay Rum 4.0 oz After Shave Pour
Captain's Choice Original Bay Rum 4.0 oz After Shave Pour
Offered by LilGift
Price: $18.95
11 used & new from $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I like the clovish Bay Rum..., May 28, 2014
Is that a word: clovish? I don't know, but it seems to me that Bay Rum scents come in two different iterations: the clove laden and the non-clove laden. An example of the non-clove is C.O. BIGELOW No. 032 BAY RUM COLOGNE FOR MEN 2.5 fl oz/75 ml, while Captain's Choice Bay Rum is a clove-rich scent. IMO, I like them both. They are different. The scent is exactly the same as Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails Bay Rum 4.0 oz After Shave Pour. It is very intense at the onset, but mellows nicely for a long-lasting scent the women will adore. The old-fashioned apothecary bottle is a nice touch.

(1) Giant Carnival Pop
(1) Giant Carnival Pop
Offered by The Candy City
Price: $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for what I needed..., May 28, 2014
This review is from: (1) Giant Carnival Pop (Misc.)
I ordered one of these giant carnival pops for a show that I was directing. The product arrived on time; looked just like the picture and served its purpose for my production. I didn't taste it, so I cannot comment, but it looked yummy ;-)
Recommended

Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor
Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor
Offered by SimplyBeautiful
Price: $34.48
16 used & new from $32.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter razor for future enthusiasts..., May 27, 2014
I bought the Merkur 180 as my second double edge razor. The first was that razor pitched by yours and my favorite pawn shop owner...
It proved to be too light for my tastes, so I passed it on to my 22 year old son. He, too had been a 5 blade cartridge shaver for about 5 years now. He has really taken to the DE style so I have given him my Merkur.
As to the razor, it's
1) Affordable
2) Well-constructed (made in Germany)
3) A good length for the average hand.
4) Good knurling on the handle provides secure grip
5) Easy to swap blades in and out
6) Relatively mild, the safety bar protects the skin.
7) Great starter razor.
Enthusiasts will eventually upgrade, but those interested in switching to DE shaving won't be disappointed with this razor.
Recommended