Profile for dancinhomer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 140

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

dancinhomer RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Fire TV Stick
Fire TV Stick
Price: $39.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Hulu Plus, December 16, 2014
This review is from: Fire TV Stick (Electronics)
I will qualify this review by saying I only bought it for one purpose: Streaming Hulu Plus. It says it can do other things and use other applications, but I don't know about any of that. I wanted something where I could stream Hulu Plus in a way besides my PS3. I have the slowest DSL connection available (3 whatevers per second). It's so slow that my Sony Blu-Ray player won't stream it. But this little dandy does a great job. You plug it into a USB port on your tv, plug it into an electrical outlet, let it update itself, and whammo! It has a very simple remote and is very easy to use. There are rare occasions where it won't stream a show but the PS3 will, but that's the exception and not the rule. All in all, it was a great investment,,,, and I bought a second one so I can have Hulu Plus in my bedroom as well!

If you want to use it for other things, I don't think I can speak to that. But for Hulu Plus, it's been a fine purchase and I'm very satisfied.

A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex
A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $7.59

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Best In the World, December 12, 2014
I read Jericho's books in the wrong order. First, I read the third book, "The Best In the World: At What I Have No Idea." As is often the case, the book with tales ten years in the making is much better than the sequel, which only covered a time period when he returned to the WWE and had established his music career. A Lion's Tale is all about the years of struggle. Chris literally takes us country-hopping as he tries to make a name for himself on the "non-WWE" circuit. And it's a great story, filled with anecdotes not only about the wrestling business, but about life as a travelling performer and living in other cultures. I always find "before they made it big" stories the most interesting part of a persons life, and this book doesn't disappoint.

Begin Again
Begin Again
DVD ~ Keira Knightly
Price: $9.99
11 used & new from $8.93

1.0 out of 5 stars Reality intrudes and ruins everything., November 18, 2014
This review is from: Begin Again (DVD)
Taken by itself, this is a rather cliche but unobjectionable movie. Mark Ruffalo is convincing and interesting enough as fallen record company executive who basically learns to get excited about music again via the reluctant ingenue gamely protrayed by Keira Knightly. But the big problem is that, while the music is good, getting the music (ie, the soundtrack) in the real world is done exactly the way this movie is telling you it SHOULDN'T have to happen. By putting the music on a "real" record label, the makers of this movie feed the very beast they say is killing music as an art form. The theme of the movie is to forgo the recording industry, but this is the opposite of what the makers of the movie end up doing. If you're going to talk the talk, walk the walk. I just can't seem to get past that and recommend this movie because it betrays its own message.

World Peace Is None Of Your Business
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Price: $11.88
36 used & new from $6.03

3.0 out of 5 stars For Fans of the Current Morrissey Sound, October 6, 2014
As always, the Moz is affected a great deal musically by whom he's paired with. I loved the Moz/Marr era, of course. I also found that pairing with Steven Street helped to take away the sting from the demise of the Smiths. But somewhere around "Kill Uncle," I found myself cherry-picking songs, rather than enjoying entire albums. "World Peace" is, sadly, no exception. With his current band, I find it odd (if not careless) seeing the album listed as a "pop" album, when the guitars are so... shall we say, "crunchy" and influenced by punk / glam music of the 70s. A rock album? Yes. Pop? Not so much. As always, I yearn for the days of "Viva Hate" and "Bona Drag."

Lyrically, Moz is interesting, but that's a given. Sugar will be sweet, fire will be hot, Moz's lyrics will be interesting. But there is such a catalog of Moz's work now that interesting lyrics won't keep this album in your player. Many listeners enjoy the sound of the current band, so you may or may not. With the exception of "Suitcase at the University" and "Kiss Me a Lot," I didn't find anything particularly noteworthy that would justify a purchase. The music on this album is different, creative, experimental... I just didn't find it especially enjoyable. So, you'll want to listen to some samples before you make the purchase.

For me, this is a step back from the promising turn I found in "Swords" and "Years of Refusal." We're back to the growling guitars of "Your Arsenal" and "You Are the Quarry" with some Latin sounds adding a bit of depth, but raunchy guitars are still the dominating sound.

So, if you loved "Your Arsenal" and "You are the Quarry," you may enjoy this album quite a bit. If you were more of an early Moz fan, give it a listen first.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2014 1:28 PM PDT

Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon of Christian Rock
Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon of Christian Rock
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars even if you hate the music, September 26, 2014
I wish I had more to add than previous reviewers, but everyone seems to have summed it up: This is one of the few books on the subject of the Christian rock movement written objectively by a professional journalist. There is no agenda here, pro or against. It is simply an in-depth look at a subculture filled with reviews by relevant participants. It's not so much about the music, which is just as well because there's no way to please everyone in trying to cover that topic; I was a child of Christian rock from the 1980's, so of course there wasn't enough of that for me, but the book was about more than that. It was about modern American Christianity's attempt at being culturally relevant without losing itself, as well as followers who think things have already gone too far.

In any event, it's well-written, thought-provoking stuff... even if you hate the music :-)

Doki-Doki Universe - PS4 / PS3 / PS Vita [Digital Code]
Doki-Doki Universe - PS4 / PS3 / PS Vita [Digital Code]
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Gentle Giant, July 31, 2014
It's a very charming little game. I played it on the PS3 and while it certainly didn't strain the limits of the console, it had fun little graphics and the best of use of sound I've heard in a game in a long while. It's funny and charming, and the personality tests are fun to take and seem to be surprisingly accurate. It's largely a logic game where you figure out what will make other characters happy or sad, depending on the goal you need to reach in order to get their present from them.

Granted, once you've done it, you won't want to do it again, but you'll certainly get your money's worth out of it.

Dead Space 3 Limited Edition
Dead Space 3 Limited Edition
Price: Click here to see our price
98 used & new from $11.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect, but It's Still Dead Space, July 31, 2014
There's a lot to like about Dead Space 3 depending on your tastes. It's more of the same, but it isn't nearly as scary as the first two. Nor is it as difficult. However, this is because of the weapon mod feature, which makes the game more fun (albeit less challenging). I hate playing games with pea-shooter weapons, and this new feature enables you to craft and modify a weapon that suits you. Personally, I became addicted to a Mjolinor, which shoots chain lighting for zapping multiple enemies at once and a hydraulic hammer that would bash anyone who got too close. Later in the game, I also constructed a rifle that would automatically slow enemies down in stasis mode. Did it make it a lot easier? Heck, yes. But that's part of the strategy. The wrong weaponry in a given situation means a lot of checkpoint restarts.

It took me about 20 hours to finish the whole thing, with only a couple of hours discounted because of situations where I hit an obstacle I had to work around. Again, the whole thing isn't as creepy, and I don't care for the multiplayer at all (but I rarely like multiplayer, so take that with a grain of salt). But all in all, it was a very fun ride and a decent end to the series.

Enemy
Enemy
DVD ~ Jake Gyllenhaal
Price: $11.99
49 used & new from $1.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Challenging shouldn't mean boring, July 7, 2014
This review is from: Enemy (DVD)
I *think* I understood this movie. I'm not adverse to movies that make me think about them afterwards. But the movie should, in an of itself, be entertaining enough that I'll *want* to think about it afterwards. No such luck here. Most of the "action" (and I use that term really loosely) takes place in the form of inner conflict... which is about as interesting to watch as it sounds. There are way too many pregnant pauses (no pun intended) that gives too many opportunities to see how much time is left as things plod along. Although the film has many earnest performances, even Jake G fans may have a hard time enjoying this one. I can't recommend it, even to those in the mood to be challenged by a film.

Face the Music: A Life Exposed
Face the Music: A Life Exposed
by Paul Stanley
Price: $23.76
63 used & new from $16.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read for fans and non-fans alike, July 7, 2014
As with any disagreement or controversy, the reader has to take what any one side says with a grain of salt. Personally, I was never a big KISS fan (or at all), so I knew very little about the band. Frankly, Gene Simmons creeped me out when the band was in their heyday in the 1970's. While there is a lot of negative press here for his band mates, the question isn't whether I believe every word he says. I'm sure Ace and Peter and everyone else have their own perspectives, and it's only reasonable to expect that. Stanley's name is on the book, so this is his take on it if a person cares to hear it. In any event, as far as how good of a read it is... it's a very good read. It tells a good tale and I learned some things about what it meant to be the person behind the make-up. As to the validity of the allegations contained therein... well, I wasn't there and it's a book, not a deposition. But if one wants to know about what it's like to be Paul Stanley, the book accomplishes that in a satisfying way.

Thor: The Dark World
Thor: The Dark World
DVD ~ Chris Hemsworth
Price: $19.99
13 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic... And I'm Not Even a Thor Fan!, May 2, 2014
This review is from: Thor: The Dark World (DVD)
Although I'm a comic book nerd, I've never been a fan of the Thor comic series. It just hasn't grabbed me over the years, but I tend to stay away from sci-fi and fantasy, and Thor has always been rooted in that.

That being said, this movie is one of the best comic book movies I've seen since "The Dark Knight." It's got a story I can follow (much better than the first), great performances and a ton of action. And Loki... oh, Loki, I want to hate you but you're just so dang FUN!

Even a casual fan will find a lot to like here. This is one of the greats!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14