Profile for Alabaster Jones > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 160

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alabaster Jones "perpenhopher" RSS Feed (earth)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Q: Are We Not Men
Q: Are We Not Men
Price: $6.98
76 used & new from $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars fun, intense, and infectious, June 22, 2010
This review is from: Q: Are We Not Men (Audio CD)
This is quite simply one of the best albums you'll ever hear. It makes you laugh. It makes you think. It makes you dance like a spaz. It's got everything from punk-influenced rockers (Uncontrollable Urge, Too Much Paranoias) to herky-jerky New Wave insanity (Sloppy, Satisfaction), and it's even got a straight up 1950s death-pop number (Come Back Jonee), which seems like it could be the brother of "Leader of the Pack."

In addition, this album has two of Devo's best known songs- "Jocko Homo," which is essentially the band's manifesto, and "Mongoloid," a hilariously depressing song about a mentally handicapped man who fits in so well with society that nobody is aware of his condition.

All of these tracks, and the rest that I didn't name, are ones that you'll want to play over and over again. You'll probably drive your friends crazy quoting them and singing them. This is the kind of music that transcends entertainment and becomes a lifestyle.

If you're even slightly curious about Devo, buy this CD immediately. Then buy "Duty Now for the Future," "Freedom of Choice," "New Traditionalists," and "Oh No! It's Devo!"

After you've let those 5 albums sink in, buy their latest album called "Something for Everybody" and be amazed that they can still sound so vital 30 years later.

The only downside to taking the Devo plunge is that you will never be the same afterward... but that's not really such a bad thing is it?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2010 7:43 PM PST

Something for Everybody
Something for Everybody
Price: $9.00
67 used & new from $1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh spuds!, June 15, 2010
This review is from: Something for Everybody (Audio CD)
This is a very good album! The band's previous two albums have always struck me as fairly lackluster compared to the energetic and highly creative output of the band in their heyday. Well, a 20 year break from making albums seems to be exactly what they needed, because Something for Everybody is loud, fun, exciting, and very high energy! DEVO manages to retain their quirky approach while sounding fresh and new. They are in top form here, and although the boys are now in their 60s, you'd never guess it listening to this brilliant album.

Something for Everybody is a MUST HAVE for fans of DEVO. I honestly wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do. This one's going to stay in the CD player for a while.

Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements
Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $19.96
40 used & new from $1.15

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Stereolab and still my favorite, June 6, 2010
It may be because I'd never even heard of this band when this album fell into my hands in 1993, but almost 20 years later, this is still the album that enters my mind when I think of Stereolab.

The groop has released MANY fantastic albums and EPs over the years, and all of them are worth hearing more than once, but "Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements" really hits the spot for me. On this release, they found the perfect balance between being abrasive and being soothing... between being confrontational and being welcoming. Understanding the lyrics isn't strictly necessary, but when you start to pick them out after a few listens, it opens this album up in a whole new way and gives you plenty of new things to think about upon each listen. It's a very rich and rewarding experience, and one that I have enjoyed taking many times in my life. There are very few bands that I can say that about.

It's very hard to put into words the thoughts and feelings I have when listening to this album, or indeed Stereolab in general, because it reminds me of so many personal moments in my life, but this is definite "desert island" material for me. I just repurchased this CD again because my old copy is showing quite a lot of wear, but I still feel like it was money well spent. I am still as impressed and excited by this music in 2010 as I was in 1993. I wish I could say the same about most of the rest of the CDs I bought in the 90s.

Emperor Tomato Ketchup
Emperor Tomato Ketchup
Price: $19.98
83 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible effort, and a stunning result., June 6, 2010
This review is from: Emperor Tomato Ketchup (Audio CD)
In thinking about how to review Stereolab's albums, I have found myself a bit perplexed. I have loved.. LOVED Stereolab since the release of "Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements" in 1993. To this day, "Transient Random" is still my favorite Stereolab release, but I now have all of their albums and I love them all in varying degrees.

The thing about reviewing their albums is that the same things could be said for many of them, and an attempt to review them all would end up being redundant.

Emperor Tomato Ketchup, however, marks a clear transition for the groop from a more abrasive droning sound to a more adventurous sound with moving melody lines and funky grooves. In this respect, it is a must have album for any fan, but many have opted to end their Stereolab collection here. I personally enjoy both their early and later work, and this is certainly a solid album no matter which period of their music you enjoy. It will take a newcomer a few listens to get the full impact of some of these complex arrangements, but the reward lies in discovering a truly joyous kind of music, the likes of which no other band in the world can touch.

I happen to think that Dots and Loops is a better album, but this one is still absolutely essential, and quite astonishingly good.

If you've never heard a Stereolab album before, you're in for a real treat! Any of them will do, but this might be the best place to start.

The Groop Played Space Age Batchelor Pad Music
The Groop Played Space Age Batchelor Pad Music
Price: $7.92

4.0 out of 5 stars the readheaded step-child of early Stereolab releases, June 6, 2010
In the vein of Peng! and Transient Random Noise Bursts, comes this album, which was released between those two brilliant albums. There isn't much to say about it, really. If you like those albums, you'll like this one too.

All I can say is that it lacks the lyrical urgency of Peng! and it lacks the musical focus of Transient Random. Not the greatest Stereolab album, but it's drenched in their style from top to bottom.

There are 2 standout tracks here: "Avant Garde M.O.R." and "We're Not Adult Orientated." I would recommend this album to Stereolab fans for these two tracks alone. "U.H.F. - MFP" is good too, but they would go on to do that particular sound to absolute perfection on "Transient Random Noise Bursts." The rest of the album is not bad, but it's mostly forgettable when you take into account some of the incredible releases this band has put out over the years.

If you're new to Stereolab, this probably isn't the best place to start. I would go with "Peng!" or "Transient Random Noise Bursts" and move on from there.

Oh No It's Devo
Oh No It's Devo
Price: $13.16
16 used & new from $7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars time out for a deceptively serious album, May 17, 2010
This review is from: Oh No It's Devo (Audio CD)
Devo has always been good at tackling serious (or semi-serious) subject matter under the veil of silliness, but I think this is their best attempt at such. While New Traditionalists is normally mentioned as Devo's "dark" album, I think this one tops it in that area. Themes of impending mental collapse, paranoia, social decay, and various forms of mental illness are explored liberally throughout the album.. same as any other Devo release on the surface, but the music is so danceable and deceptively innocent that it may take several listens to pick up on the various layers of meaning in these ostensible pop songs. The most blatant examples of this are "Big Mess" and "I Desire" the lyrics of which were culled from crazy letters written to the band by an obsessed fan, and the journal of would-be Reagan assassin John Hinkley, respectively.

In any case, this is probably not the "best" Devo album, strictly speaking, but it is the one that gets the most play at my house. In spite of, or probably because of, its brilliantly disguised lyrical content, it's still the most fun of all of the band's albums for me.

This is an easy 5 stars, as is every Devo album that came before it.

Martial Arts 50 Movie Pack Collection
Martial Arts 50 Movie Pack Collection
DVD ~ Sonny Chiba
Price: $15.49
31 used & new from $10.20

5.0 out of 5 stars A box full of FISTS IN YOUR FACE, May 12, 2010
I just received my copy of the Martial Arts 50 Movie Pack yesterday, and although I've only watched 4 of the movies included, I feel that I've already gotten my money's worth.

You see.. I first chose to watch the Ninja Death trilogy, after reading recommendations in these reviews.

All I can say is that it's absolute genius! I won't spoil the movies by describing them, but if you're into cheap 70s Chinese Kung Fu flicks, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better to watch than the Ninja Death trilogy. The other 47 movies on here are just icing on the baffling and confounding cake that is Ninja Death.

If you're looking at this page, I assume that you get some enjoyment from Z-grade cinema. If you've never seen the entire ND trilogy, then pop this sucker into your cart and click away. You won't be disappointed.

Armonico Hewa
Armonico Hewa
Price: $15.72
20 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars probably the best OOIOO album yet, May 8, 2010
This review is from: Armonico Hewa (Audio CD)
Over the years, I have consistently listened to this band's first 3 albums (self titled, Feather Float, Gold and Green) and I fall in love with them each time I hear them. I was slightly disappointed with their next two albums, Kila Kila Kila and Taiga. Not to say they were bad albums, because they were far from that, but I felt like they were missing the element of humor that their earlier albums had. What those two albums did have was plenty of unique and pleasant atmosphere.

Well.. this new album is almost like a marriage of the styles of their earlier albums with the later two albums. The result is just a pleasure to listen to. Instead of gushing about it, I'll just list a few adjectives that spring to mind... delightful, hilarious, funky, whimsical, challenging, compelling, addictive..

If you are even a slight fan of anything this band has done in the past, this album is essential. If you happened upon this product by chance, then this is your lucky day.

It's impossible to listen to this without smiling. Possibly a contender for one of my favorite albums of all time.

Atom Heart Mother
Atom Heart Mother
Offered by Wooden Nickel Music
Price: $15.99
63 used & new from $1.85

2.0 out of 5 stars by far, Floyd's worst album, May 2, 2010
This review is from: Atom Heart Mother (Audio CD)
I'm absolutely amazed that the majority of reviewers here have given this album 5 stars. ANY other Pink Floyd album, sure.. although I personally don't care much for Ummagumma either... but this one? Five stars? Surely you jest!

The most interesting parts of the album, for me, come from the title track. Although it is too long and lacks focus, the Atom Heart Mother suite is passable and it certainly hints at greater things to come from the band. The rest of the album is just absolutely boring. It's plainly obvious to anyone who isn't wearing rose tinted spectacles that the band had come up dry for ideas on this release. "If" is merely okay, but it's really still just a snoozer at heart. "Summer '68" and "Fat Old Sun" are not only boring, but they are obnoxious as well. Those two songs are probably the two worst proper "songs" in the entire Pink Floyd catalog. The final track, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is mildly fun for a single listen, but it isn't a song, and I have to question the sanity of someone who would actually enjoy listening to the sounds of a man cooking breakfast over directionless, meandering lounge music more than once.

To put my review in perspective, I am a fan of all kinds of music, and the majority of my collection is filled with off kilter, experimental music. This is coming from someone who actually owns and can enjoy a few Merzbow CDs. It isn't the experimentation that turns me off of Atom Heart Mother. It's the execution and the absolute lack of enthusiasm for the project.

Buy this one only if you want to give it as a gag gift. Otherwise, buy any other Pink Floyd album but this one. Even the band hates this one.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2010 6:43 AM PDT

The Madcap Laughs
The Madcap Laughs
48 used & new from $0.33

5.0 out of 5 stars an unfortunate reputation as a curiosity, April 16, 2010
This review is from: The Madcap Laughs (Audio CD)
This collection of songs, while certainly not the most well produced in the world, are, I think, some of the most compelling. Unfortunately, many people seem only willing to look at it on the surface, and see it as a sort of novelty. Even many of the reviews on this site are focused mainly on the supposed state of mind Syd Barrett was in while recording this album. And indeed, it is a very compelling legend, that of Syd. Pink Floyd has made their entire career on selling Syd's legend as art.. so I understand the temptation to see this album from the point of view of a man losing his mind.

However... I think that it is only a small part of the picture, and I think that it does a disservice to the legitimacy of this material as art. There is a book called "The Making of The Madcap Laughs" by Malcolm Jones, who acted as producer on a large chunk of Barrett's solo output, including much of the material from the Opel CD, as well as many tracks from this album. In the book, Jones describes the sessions as productive and relatively trouble free. He mentions briefly the lack of studio time for The Soft Machine to adequately rehearse and learn the abrupt changes in the songs, and Jones laments that he was not able to book more time for them. He describes Barrett as being enthusiastic, lucid, upbeat, and very inspired.

This is quite a different picture than what Waters and Gilmour have had to say about their brief three session wrap-up of the production.

I bring this up because I obviously think that too much emphasis is put on Syd's supposed "madness" when discussing his music.

I think these songs are brilliant. For a variety of reasons, many of the sessions were rushed, and probably could have been recorded better. There is no denying that. However, Jones also mentions in his book that Syd had a tendency to become less enthusiastic in performing his songs after doing multiple takes, so often they would stop after 3 or 4 takes and leave them for overdubs later. I think if they had been recorded to perfection, they would have lost much of the charm that these recordings now possess. The lyrics on this album are some of the most evocative and baffling that I've ever heard... particularly on Octopus, Dark Globe, and Feel. It's clear that Syd has been influenced by his experiences with drugs, but it's also clear that he isn't just talking nonsense. The imagery that he uses is certainly deliberate and focused. After hearing the album, you may never want to hear another song from it for the rest of your life, but I bet if you were to listen to it a few more times and start picking up on the lyrics, you'll find that you won't be able to get it out of your head.

This is one of my favorite albums. For whatever reason, Syd lost interest in music after one more album. It's a shame, but in a way it also makes his few recordings unique and special. The emphasis on his mental illness is, I think, highly overblown... but if it helps to get his name out there so that others can enjoy these recordings for years to come, then I guess it is a small price to pay. I just wish more people took his albums seriously.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2010 1:50 PM PDT