Profile for AlexJouJou > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 693

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AlexJouJou RSS Feed (D.C.)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
UltrAspire Astral Race Vest - Pinnacle Pink
UltrAspire Astral Race Vest - Pinnacle Pink
Offered by MadAthlete
Price: $129.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, great pocket system, great quality materials - and mostly comfortable = winner!, July 25, 2015
I was, flatly, scared of getting this vest. The reason is I am not one who wants to advertise my girls. I don't really care if someone notices them but I seldom "put them out there". I don't wear things that highlight my chest or draw attention to it. I'm more of a casual, no make up, jeans and T-shirt kind of girl. I also have several hydration vests and find the comfort leaves something to be desired at times. So this vest had a lot to live up too. Did it?

Overall the answer is yes. It does and it's in my rotation

Pro's:
Quality of materials -it's fairly light and pretty breathable

Fit is very nice and comfortable - including the bottom part that goes over the stomach. IF you have a sensitive stomach this might not work because even with the flexibility it does compress your abdomen to some point.

Love the way it looks - I just think it's a classy looking vest

Functionality of pockets is great. There are enough of them and they work for what I need. In the front there is a pocket for electrolyte tabs and two front pockets which hold a water bottle (smaller) and my gels, cell phone if needed. I sometimes trade off which one (the one for the bottle is the one that fits my iPhone)

Cons:

The water if you use a bladder gets hot pretty quick as there is not much between your back and it. You can buy a reservoir sleeve that will provide insulation if you like and I recommend one if you are running in temperature extreme's of hot and/or cold

It took me several runs to get it dialed in and it's still not the most comfortable vest I have. I hate anything constricting breathing - Although this one has flexibility in the straps I still find it a bit constricting.

The tubing for the hydration pack just hangs down. It's not easy to push it through and anchor it AND use it. While I like the hose a lot and the great bladder that is so well marked to have to pop out the mouthpiece and put it back has it's problems. I didn't deduct for this because I have other bladders that work fine in this so when it bothers (longer runs of 15+ miles) I just switch it out

My two favorite vest pack's are the Ultimate Direction Jenny Vest and this one - bar none. The most comfortable materials and they work very differently. With this one (Astral) I use it where i need the bladder for sure. The Jenny I'll use if I'm doing a route that has me running by some form of location where I can refill water bottles because it has 20 oz on the chest. The two function very well for me in tandem. I have washed this pack several times on delicate and hang dry without problems and it remains in materials very strong with no deterioration.

A high quality, mostly comfortable, great vest for long distance running!

Incipio Atlas Waterproof Cover for Kindle Voyage
Incipio Atlas Waterproof Cover for Kindle Voyage
Price: $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof, Great protection - weighed by a trade off with clarity of screen and ease of use, July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a Kindle-Addict (does that make me a Kindict?) and have all versions. I'm also very big on assuring I have good cases that work for the use I put each of my Kindles to work for -- and that varies. My Kindle Voyage is the Kindle I most take with me on the go - because it's the smallest with the built in lighting. I am not a fan of amazon's origami case because it is so difficult to hold and close - but I do require something that protects all areas of the Kindle. For my IPAD Mini I have a Lifeproof case (as I do for my iPhone 6) but I was not sure how that type of case would work for a Kindle - which is a different thing altogether. After using this case for some time I can say I do like it - but a few things mar the experience. They may be necessary due to the purpose of the case but they affected my enjoyment of it. Make no mistake - I still use it (a lot) but it's a compromise.

What I like about this case:

I think the weight is not that bad and it definitely protects - there's more bulk but the package is very palatable. It's not like it makes the Kindle 3x it's size and a pound heavier. It will affect your comfort if you are holding it for hours but for regular bursts of time reading no barrier is imposed with this case (see that pun?)

It is waterproof - from my tests it seems to be waterproof. I'm not a big bath taker and I don't spend hours in bodies of water but I do have 4 cats, a moist humid and rainy climate, and a tendency to not be as careful as I should be with drinking and kindles. I most enjoy kindles for their utility in my life - I read a lot and they are wicked useful. If I break one it's not the end of the world but I prefer to do everything I can to make sure I prevent that.

I think the form and feel is appealing. It's not 5 star - but it's not 3 either. It's not slippery or awkward to hold (a plus) and the materials are of quality and consistency.

What I'm not as fond of:

The piece that goes over the screen of the kindle does cause distortion of the wonderful clarity and sharpness of the Voyage's screen. Make no mistake - you are sacrificing here. Big time. The text, through the screen protector area, is not as crisp and vibrant. If you bought a Voyage that may have been a big (for me the biggest) draw. So be aware that there is a trade off here. For me it brought it back to what I saw in the 1st Kindle Paperwhite and even one of my Kindle Second Generation which had a very excellent screen

Taking it on and off - this is not a case that is meant to be switched out daily. Unless you have a need in your life for ultimate protection you might want to carefully consider. If you just use your kindle at home and don't move it much (and have no cats, liquids, or other potentialities that provide opportunities to do damage) you probably don't need this case. For others who like to shove a case in their purse, use it on the train or while commuting, might bring it by bodies of water or near others who consume bodies of water in the form of venti drinks....this works just fine.

Overall - it's a winner with an understanding of what you are trading off here. The give and take is worth it, for me, but you have to make your own call. It's worth the money for those who want this type of protection - and the quality of the materials along with the fit, form, and function of the case certainly place this up high in the recommendation pipeline from me to you.

Sports Waist Pack,URPOWER® Multifunctional Adjustable Strap Runner Belt with Cell Phone Pouch Compatible with iPhone6/5/5S/5C/4S,SamsungS6/S6 Edge/S5/S4/S3 and Other Smartphones,Water Bottle Holder for Hiking,Cycling,Running,Travel All Outdoor Sports, Blue (Bottles are Not Included)
Offered by COCO-Vision(US Shipping)
Price: $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for non high impact sports or leisure activities - not for running long distances, July 22, 2015
Perspective: I am a long distance runner. This is important because a walker, hiker, or other form of exercise person may find this waist pack works much better for them.

This worked just ok for me. It was fairly comfortable but not nearly as much as several of my other belts (Nathan, Fitletic, Amphipod). The main issue I had with this pack is stability and weight with bottles. I used the bottles from my Fitletic waist belt as this does not come with bottles. They weighed down the belt and made running a bouncy affair. I had to adjust it multiple times but, once I got the adjustment right, it was not too bad on the run but the bouncing was irritating and noticeable. You cannot set this belt on your hips with full water bottles and run - too much bounce. So it is relegated to being around your waist pretty snuggly to reduce bouncy. I think the structure and support around the bottles is the issue because it's very light so the bottles pull the belt down.

I did like the size of the pack in the middle. It appears to be waterproof also (but I cannot verify that). It fit my iPhone 6 - and if you use waist belts you'll know that they are always 1-2 phones behind the current model as far as what fits/doesn't fit.

Overall it is not going to work for me for running - but for other various non high impact athletic or leisure pursuits it would work just fine. Walking with it was fine as well.

Orthosaid Compression Foot Sleeve By Yorkberg. 1 Pair of Plantar Fasciitis Socks - Black (Medium)
Offered by Yorkberg
Price: $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable enough for everyday wear, excellent amount of compression!, July 22, 2015
These are cute compression sleeves. That's a plus. I got the M and they fit very well. I have a size 6.5 women's foot but sometimes in sleeves like this I need to go up a bit or they are too tight. These have a great level of compression - not too much but enough so that they do what they say they are going to do.

I wear these to help out my achilles and my plantar fascia. I'm a long distance runner and these areas are often "under attack" with my training schedule. I do find these comfortable enough to wear most of the day but typically would wear for a couple of hours. I have several other pairs of sleeves like this and these are my favorite for everyday type comfort. I have a metatarsal injury I've been nursing a while that's healed but still aches occasionally and these can bother that by compressing the metatarsals a little too much if I wear them too long. That's a unique feature of my body though so no stars removed for it. The material does not overheat either. I do not wear these when running (I wear calf sleeves) but for recovery for me and for everyday support they are quite perfect!

Sample provided for review

Yoga[Addict]™ Yoga Full Toe Socks (in 10 Colors), 2 Pairs Value Pack Set
Yoga[Addict]™ Yoga Full Toe Socks (in 10 Colors), 2 Pairs Value Pack Set
Offered by YogaAddict
Price: $28.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit great, super comfortable - and the toe's are not too big!, July 22, 2015
Fit perfectly! I wear a 6.5 in women's and many of the toe socks are just too big and floppy and I cannot then focus while doing yoga. These have perfect toe length so it doesn't bunch up in the toe area.

They are super comfortable and have just the right amount of grippy's on them to prevent you from slipping. The socks are thicker so I would not wear them in a hot environment unless you do not mind your feet being warm. In A/C or during regular days when the weather is pleasant they are quite perfect. They do breathe a bit but the thicker material means they don't release too much wetness if you tend to sweat a lot. It did not bother me (guess I am not a heavy feet sweater).

These pair perfectly with Yoga with Adriene free 30 day yoga program (you can google that). Recommended!

Product sample provided for review

Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Cat Food, Original Turkey, Chicken, Whitefish & Herring Recipe, 12-Pound Bag
Price: $36.99
20 used & new from $36.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Cat's did't like it - I have 4 and none bit, July 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've like Wellness treats and Wellness canned cat food (well, my cats like them..I don't personally partake - I'm a vegan *grin*). I was so excited to get this food because Wellness foods have gone over very, well, WELL in our house (pun intended). This food did not tempt any of the cats. When mixed with other foods the cats left these pieces and ate the others (Natural Balance, Taste of the Wild, and Hill's Ideal Balance). So they do like a variety of food. Each cat has their personal favorite and one is on a "healthy eating plan because he's like a roly poly bug right now *sigh*.

I'm not sure why they did not like it. The texture, size, smell - all are similar to what they are normally eating. To demonstrate the two 1 year old bro's got into my cupboard (lazy susan) where I keep their food and they tore up the bags on all the other three and this one remained pristine and untouched. That pretty much says it call. Cats (we love them don't we?) are finicky - so what's a no go for one picky eater might be the obsession of another. None of my 4 are going to do any obsessing over this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2015 12:50 PM PDT

Wellness Kittles Grain Free Natural Cat Treats Made in USA Only, Salmon & Cranberries, 2-Ounce Bag
Price: $3.07
13 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL 4 of my fur babies like these - that's rarer than a snowstorm in July in DC!, July 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I think I have the pickiest cats EVER. They rarely like treats - and the only one's they currently eat are Whiskas and Greenies. They get them sparingly as they eat a high protein natural type diet so I don't necessarily consider Whiskas to be a healthy compliment to that. They are what they indicate - a treat.

I have liked Wellness canned products - but have never tried their dry food for my 4 kitty babies. I was a bit nervous on this treat because, as noted, they normally don't like them. However these things are the cat's meow! All 4 go positively crazy over them and I have to moderate. I fill one of the little toys that they have to move around to get the treats out of - which means between 4 of them they get a couple treats at most each. That's plenty. These seal well after opening, do not have a terrible smell, and the cats love them. 12 paws up!

Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Syrup, Coconut Palm, 12 Ounce
Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Syrup, Coconut Palm, 12 Ounce

4.0 out of 5 stars Great flavor, great on certain types of hot cereal - however sugar should still be very sparingly used, July 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So first let me say I do not think this is healthier than any other sugar. I put almost all of them in the same group - and it's not one that begins with a H. Organic or not I believe sugar is at least as, if not more, addicitng then nicotine or alcohol. It's insidiously everywhere. It is a bear to avoid it in all ways - so I do what I can to moderate it - but my tendency is always to crave it. I'm working towards getting rid of it altogether.

That said this is a great tasting product. It's really got a unique flavor I have not tasted before. Great sweetness - not maple syrup and not agave - almost a thicker cross between the two. A little goes a long way and I've found this syrup to be the best on oat bran or other cream of wheat type products that do not have at on of texture (very small grains). It just brings the flavor out of those types of foods. I do not use it elsewhere other than on the occasional pancake and I did not like it in coffee or tea at all. The flavor of it is strong and so it will compete with other strong flavors.

Overall something to be used sparingly as a treat - no more than that.

Vysk EP1 Privacy Charging Case for iPhone 6 - Carrying Case - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $119.99
8 used & new from $69.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid case, love the textured back for grip, of a good size - smaller part of case being on the bottom (vs top) is the only prob, July 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used this case now for several weeks. While I predominantly like it there are a few caveats that made me give it 4 stars vs. a full 5 star review.

Pro's
Case is sturdy and well made
Back of case is textured which I really like as it makes the phone less slippery and it "holds" in my backpack side pocket with no slide
Fits the IPhone 6 well
Easy to charge (both the unit and the iPhone)
Is pretty quick to charge the phone
Buttons are all accessible and easy to use

Con's
I know it's a privacy feature but its an extra step to slide the opening so the camera works (I did not down rate for this..as this is delivered functionality)
My main issue (and the reason for the subtraction of a star) is that having the connection to the charging area be the smaller of the two case parts means EVERY time I go to take the charger out of case, or I pull on my phone the bottom of the case starts to come off. Several times I've almost dropped the phone due to this. Most battery cases I have use the smaller part of the case (it slides together and one piece is markedly smaller) on the top of the case where it doesn't really get messed with as you aren't charging the top of your phone.

Overall it's a solid case. I find I did not use the privacy features so am not rating on this.

Compression Leg Sleeves (Pair) - Calf Sleeves to Relieve Shin Splints - Calf Support - Calf Guards - Shin Sleeves - Faster Muscle Recovery - Great for Running, Cycling, Traveling, Golf, Tennis, Maternity, and Working Out - 100% Money Back Guarantee (Black, S/M)
Offered by SharpeZone
Price: $20.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great for recovery, very easy to put under clothes and wear, comfortable!, July 12, 2015
I'm a regular wear of compression gear. I use them both during and after running - most often for my longer distances. These calf sleeves worked very well for recovery - they were comfortable and have plenty length (I'm 5'1" so a little long for me but that's good for the vast majority of folks). They did not leave "gouging" impressions on my legs at all which is a benefit - that happens with other sleeves where you can see the companies logo on my leg when I take them off.

These did not work as well for me while running. They did not breathe well. Since it is summer and very hot and humid that meant they weren't as comfortable as others I have that seem to breathe better and be a little less thick. I'll try them again once it gets a bit cooler as I think they'll work well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20