Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for AlexJouJou > Reviews

Browse

AlexJouJou's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1469
Top Reviewer Ranking: 676

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AlexJouJou RSS Feed (D.C.)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
KT TAPE KT Recovery+ Ice/Heat Compression Therapy System with Adjustable Wrap, Black
Price: $44.40
5 used & new from $44.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, convenient, and simple to store!, June 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a picky consumer when it comes to items like this - I often find that only one part of them is well thought out. Overall I usually can do better with my own materials. However, this set is very useful and worth the purchase if you have pain that is more localized and could benefit from heat or cold. In particular I'm really speaking of back and legs (arms is ok but not ideal with this set..or maybe my petite female arms don't work well). I have been battling ITBS for about 9 months now and had been doing very well strengthening glutes and legs as well as working on my gait. Enter a spur of the moment marathon that was mostly downhill. It was a beautiful marathon but it caused my ITBS to flare up something awful and now I'm paying the price. I have been using this the last few days specifically for this issue and it's working well. I used regular ice for the first 48 hours but then switched to this. This stays on my leg/knee and I can move around while resting without problems. It stays cold for a while (win!) and the inclusion of heat as an option lets me go one to the other to help healing (this works for me..I'm not a Dr so YMMV). I'm finding this kit to be a great addition to my recovery - making icing/heating the area of soreness really easy.

Lead Me Not
Lead Me Not
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and with a lot of feelz - religion vs. your heart, June 12, 2016
This review is from: Lead Me Not (Kindle Edition)
I got this one on sale at amazon and BOY was it worth a lot more than the sale price!

To start I completely engaged with both characters. Isaac and his background, Colton and his tragic past. Certainly Isaac didn't win any points for being an ass at times - but I thought the framing of how he grew up, who his father was, and how his family really has disintegrated over the years due to the violently held believes really set the stage and made it clear that he was under immense pressure to be the perfect son.

Colton's background could have done with some flashbacks that made what happened to him a bit more real. It is all telling - no real showing - and the emotional punch it backs is distanced and lessened due to that. It's the only thing I would change about the book. I react more viscerally to actually reading what happened as if it was happening as that tends to imprint on my psyche much deeper.

The story is not instal-love - and grows over time. The camera scenes were dramatic and really packed a punch. The epilogue was a bit pollyanna but this is romance so I welcomed it.

Ego Is the Enemy
Ego Is the Enemy
by Ryan Holiday
Price: $15.00
61 used & new from $11.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, certainly moves you to more humility - and plenty of things to take from this effort, June 10, 2016
This review is from: Ego Is the Enemy (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a big fan of The Obstacle is the Way - being introduced to this concept of stoicism by Rich Roll's podcast where Ryan was a guest speaker. I enjoyed everything I've learned and was eager to dig into another effort from this really interesting and timely author (to me). I enjoyed Ego but I cannot say I liked it as much as the other. While I don't disagree that ego is an enemy I think that needs quantification - more like excessive ego is the enemy. The definition of ego here is slightly different than what I think of everyday -- but it's still close enough to me that I felt a bit off when reading this. I'm more a fan of balance and this felt a bit lopsided to me. It's shorter and easily digestible and certainly you can pull plenty of gems and actionable things to do from it. I certainly did - not the least of which is to recognize ego at work when it's running a bit, err, amuk.

Eaternity: More than 150 Deliciously Easy Vegan Recipes for a Long, Healthy, Satisfied, Joyful Life
by Jason Wrobel
Price: $14.87
62 used & new from $12.63

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't bog down in the extra info - the recipes I've tried have been very tasty!, June 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A friend and I both have this book and both had the same reaction. The food tastes great - but some of the ingredients are way out there. I consider myself a fairly seasoned ingredient-er and even I've not heard of some of these.

In particular I actually liked the information in each chapter - it helped me to both learn *and* to understand the authors POV. That was very helpful when looking at things like ingredients and the overall purpose for the recipe to fit into a particular category.

That said - while there are unique recipes and some that you won't find elsewhere easily - if you're not careful the ingredient and extra "text" explaining things can get in the way of you using this cookbook to, well, COOK. So feel free to ignore the pieces that you don't want to read and just find recipes that have ingredients you know and can pronounce as well as find -- based on what is appealing to your palate and don't worry too much about other extra stuff which draws you away from the real "meat" of the matter (no pun) which is recipes that will convince you that a plant powered lifestyle which is healthy can also taste great.

Ultimate Direction Women's Ultra Vesta
Ultimate Direction Women's Ultra Vesta
Price: $134.95 - $134.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Liked the original far better - due to the loss of the pocket on the top of the back of the vest, June 5, 2016
I guess I'm odd man out on this one. I have the original Jenny Vesta and it's seen me through many a trail run and marathon. It isn't perfect - but it was one of two key vests I wear (the other is a Solomon which has amazing comfort and pockets but is really more man sized and is quite hot to wear for a long time).

Pro's on this one:
Bigger bottles and larger space for bottles
The new hooks across the chest seem to adjust easier and it is more comfortable
Material feels more breathable
Yay for larger pocket for Iphone!

Con's
I cannot reach the pockets on the back while running. This is the killer for me. The original version had a zip pocket that I could reach and get things out of (gel, sunblock, etc). This version has side type pockets but they are not accessible when you are running unless you are a whole lot more flexible than I am. Taking it off all the time to get out gel's (for longer distances with water in both bottles and my phone in a pocket that leaves only 1 pocket for gel's and nutrition which is not enough for long efforts) just doesn't work for me.

Still no electrolyte pocket that is waterproof so you will still have to dig them out of one of the other pockets

These bottles are a pain to get back in the vest when they are 1/2 way full or less. You have to squeeze them in. I'm just not a fan of that.

Notes: I rarely use this with a bladder so if that is your primary concern you may feel differently about the functionality. E.G. If you use Tailwind or other nutrition where you don't need access to pockets for extra storage as readily this may indeed be an improvement for you.

So for me I'll keep using the original until it comes apart as a secondary system. I would say my #1 requirement in a vest is adequate storage and easy access to that storage so the Solomon S series seems like the best fit for my needs even if it is "man" sized and pretty hot (I'm a petite female).

Reo Versa Compact Dish Rack, Gray/White
Reo Versa Compact Dish Rack, Gray/White
Price: $35.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid - well made, quality, fits dishes pretty well, May 31, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a compact dish rack - very easy to use and manuever. The parts are quality - and look like they will resist rusting and damage. It is easy to take the top part off and use it as an extra rack which is actually an amazingly helpful thing to be able to do. Getting all the pieces together is a snap - and the variations are pretty extensive. Putting the rack in the sink and the strainer by the sink was a great way to work it when we had a big bunch of dishes. So far it's been a solid dish rack!

Wrangler Authentics Women's Mid Rise Legging, Bayou, 14
Wrangler Authentics Women's Mid Rise Legging, Bayou, 14
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super comfy, fit very well, wash up perfectly!, May 31, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are skinny jeans/leggings. They are very soft to the touch and the fabric is of nice quality. They fit exactly as expected - and are very comfortable. They don't stretch out too much and wash up nice. I get lots of compliments on them - they were an excellent choice!

Gaiam Sol Studio Select Dry-Grip Travel Yoga Mat, Sangria, 2mm
Gaiam Sol Studio Select Dry-Grip Travel Yoga Mat, Sangria, 2mm
Price: $46.44
2 used & new from $46.44

3.0 out of 5 stars Does bunch up but good option for travel and over carpet, May 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you buy it for the right purpose it works nicely but the bunching/slippery issue is challenging. So it works very well over carpets for travelers or those who have carpets and want a layer in between. It is grippy for me - and I don't slide on it too much. However it does bunch up when you are doing more flow based moves and end up "sliding" your feet this can bunch up pretty badly. It works nicely for static poses and distinct movements that do not depend on flow where you are "gliding" to a new position. I hope that helps to explain it.

I love the feel of it. It did take several weeks to air it out as the odor was pretty bad. Surprisingly so. I've got rubber Gaiam mats that didn't take this long to air out...so that was the surprise.

SPRI Triple Zone Massage Roller
SPRI Triple Zone Massage Roller
Price: $59.98
2 used & new from $59.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well on specific areas - glutes, side of leg, etc., May 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So initially I thought these were smaller and more dense balls that could get into tight places ala lacrosse ball. These are not. They are very large and more of a foam feeling. They do work well when you are trying to get at some of the muscles and areas that the regular foam rollers do not do well - like the glutes and the side of your calf. They provide a good amount of pressure if you put your weight on the roller and seem durable to a point. I did not find these to work well on other areas at all - for that I've gone back to the other foam rollers I love (orange Trigger Point Grid is still my favorite).

This roller is not really very portable - as it's the same size as a regular foam roller for the most part.

BLACK+DECKER RCS614 14-Cup Cooked/7-Cup Uncooked Rice Cooker and Food Steamer with Sauté Function, White
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $28.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps better for very large quantities of rice cooking - my 2 cups dry comes out too browned and dry, May 9, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice rice cooker for a large family or someone who cooks a lot of rice. The vegetable steaming works well but is perhaps not the most efficient way to steam veggies. It takes longer than it does to just heat a pan of water.

The reason for 3 stars is because this rice cooker consistently gives me "burnt" rice. I suspect I'm not cooking rice in a big enough quantity (4 c. dry or more) and therefore the pan is a bit too big. I have a smaller rice cooker that works flawlessly and has for years - and hoped this could replace it but I would only recommend it for someone who is cooking larger quantities. I've tried altering the water/rice ratio and no matter what I do it seems to come out a bit dry, browned on the bottom, and just not that tasty.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20