Profile for AlexJouJou > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 643

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AlexJouJou RSS Feed (D.C.)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nathan SpeedDraw Plus Insulated Flask, Imperial Purple, One Size
Nathan SpeedDraw Plus Insulated Flask, Imperial Purple, One Size
Price: $33.35
23 used & new from $26.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked great, wish mouth of bottle was situated differently though for filling- otherwise wonderful!, June 28, 2015
After a disappointing run with the Camelback chill bottle I was a bit nervous to use this one. I have issues with handheld bottles being comfortable and not leaking. I'll admit I bought three bottles one day because I was desperate to breathe again - every hydration pack I have seems to constrict breathing and the only option that was working was my Orange Mud - but sometimes I wanted something a bit smaller but that would do for areas where I was looping 4-6 miles or so. This is the perfect size for that type of loop. I used this bottle this morning to do a 16 mile run. I stopped in at my house twice to rinse and fill it up. First I put Vega Electrolyte hydration powder in it - worked great, no plastic taste, no leaking, very very easy to drink (PLUS!). The bottle was supremely comfortable the entire time - and the front pocket fit my Pocketfuel and Chia packets. I could have fit my keys in it too but i'm used to putting them in the pocket on my running skirt so I didn't bother. My second stop I put just ice water - usually after about 10 miles or so I just don't want anything sweet at all especially to drink so switching to ice and water usually works (then I use Endurolytes to assure my electrolyte balance is good). Worked great for that. I can say the holder is awkward to get off the bottle so I just gave up but that meant in filling it from my fridge station some water soaked into the holder. That is one of the only issues I can see with this.

Throughout the whole run this was flawless. No leaking, easy to drink from. It is easy to clean with a bottle brush and it does keep your fluid cold but don't be expecting it to keep ice cubes from melting in 80 degree heat for long. The only reason for the start deduction is that it sits awkwardly to fill and the mouth is not very big - which means water spills.

CamelBak Quick Grip Chill Handheld Bottle, Black, 21-Ounce
CamelBak Quick Grip Chill Handheld Bottle, Black, 21-Ounce
Price: $28.00
3 used & new from $27.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Fabric on hand side/finger side rubbed me raw - when blisters started I knew this was a no go, June 28, 2015
I bought this bottle for long distance running. While it was comfortable enough for about 4-5 miles anything more definitely is out. Here are the pro's and con's:

Pro's
Nice size - adequate amount of fluid
Chill "sleeve" or inner works ok - not great - but ok
Liked the valve opener's because it meant I had to consciously open - towards the end of a long run I can be a bit forgetful so this is nice
Easy to drink out of - adequate water flow
Front pocket size - big enough for some nutrition

Con's
Front pocket size - not quite bit enough for a phone or for several type of nutrition - and the zipper was a bit sticky (that might just be mine though)
FABRIC where your hand goes through - this was enough to remove 2 stars. It is rough and scratchy and by mile 6 there were red patches in spots that were being rubbed literally raw. By mile 10 it was starting to blister - I find it odd that the material is so scratchy - I mean their hydration packs do not have this same material. Frankly it seamed cheap - and this bottle was NOT cheap. Epic fail for me

Because I do not fancy blisters on my hands and fingers (I have enough issues with my feet) this is a no go for any sort of warm weather. I run in hot and humid conditions in the DC area - perhaps that is the combo that creates this particular situation. I put the fabric/pouch piece away to be pulled out in winter when I have gloves on to see if it works then. If not then I'll just throw it. In the meantime I'm using the insulated bottle for cycling and such. However, for the price I paid I should have had a great handheld bottle holder too.

Front Bike Light - 100 Lumen LED Front Light Comes with USB Cable That Can Charge From a Laptop or Wall Charger - Solid Mounting Strap Will Fit Anywhere on Your Bicycle and Won't Move Around When Riding - Perfect Bike Light for Safety and Performance.
Offered by Nix Products
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $24.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great light - bright and illuminates areas well - fits snugly!, June 26, 2015
I'll admit it. I tried a triathlon and it just was not my cup of tea. I'm a runner - of course I got injured and thought Tri's would be a good idea. Sometimes you should listen to that little voice in your head. I'm just sayin'. So why do I say that? Because I tried very hard to be a bike expert when I was training for a tri. I'm sorry I'm just not mechanically inclined like this. I really do try and can do great with some time but frustration sets in. This light came with no instructions in the box (they were emailed and I sort of didn't remember I had them) and I figured it out. So anyone can. When I get things on my bike they stay. I'm not lazy. I'm scared I won't be able to figure it out again.

This puts out a good amount of light that really shines on the path ahead and the charge lasts a long time. I use it on a hybrid bike (I got rid of the roadie because my Tri days are so over). It fits nicely and works well. I do put my bike on a rack on my car to go places fun to ride so I gave 4 stars because it's going to take a little while to see how sturdy this is and to make sure I cannot knock it around. I'm strictly recreational riding at this point - in it not to keep at 90RPM or such and such power outage but to enjoy life. Lights are required - especially in areas where the cars see you as targets and not friends. Great option and nice product. I will update on durability once it's been a while and then this might earn a 5th star. I also want to see if it will fit on my hydration vest - because I can always use another nice light while running! I run with a headlamp or with knuckle lights - and, just like bikes, want to respect the drivers and make sure they see me.

I was provided a sample for an honest review.

Rear Bike Light - 100 Lumen LED Tail light Comes with USB Cable That Can Charge From a Laptop or Wall Charger - Solid Mounting Strap Will Fit Anywhere on Your Bicycle and Won't Move Around When Riding - Perfect Red Bike Light for Safety and Performance.
Offered by Nix Products
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so great - work well, bright, long lasting charge and easy to use!, June 26, 2015
I'll admit it. I tried a triathlon and it just was not my cup of tea. I'm a runner - of course I got injured and thought Tri's would be a good idea. Sometimes you should listen to that little voice in your head. I'm just sayin'. So why do I say that? Because I tried very hard to be a bike expert when I was training for a tri. I'm sorry I'm just not mechanically inclined like this. I really do try and can do great with some time but frustration sets in. This light came with no instructions and I figured it out (I sort of forgot that the instructions were emailed). So anyone can. When I get things on my bike they stay. I'm not lazy. I'm scared I won't be able to figure it out again.

This puts out a good amount of light and the charge lasts a long time. I use it on a hybrid bike (I got rid of the roadie because my Tri days are so over). It fits nicely and works well. I do put my bike on a rack on my car to go places fun to ride so I gave 4 stars because it's going to take a little while to see how sturdy this is and to make sure I cannot knock it around. I'm strictly recreational riding at this point - in it not to keep at 90RPM or such and such power outage but to enjoy life. Lights are required - especially in areas where the cars see you as targets and not friends. Great option and nice product. I will update on durability once it's been a while and then this might earn a 5th star.

I was provided a sample for an honest review.

Dechunxian Silicone Folding Bottle, Outdoor Sport Camping Collapsible Portable Canteens 550ml. (white)
Offered by Fantacy Technology
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for folks who are active and outdoors!, June 26, 2015
Outstanding for my purpose which was for running. I run. A lot. so I need to drink a lot of liquid. Mostly water - some electrolyte products. It's really critical for me to have water bottles that fit in hydration vests and packs and belts that are easy to use and easy to fill. The really great thing about this bottle is how easy it is to fit places. Unlike traditional hard plastic or metal bottles this one can fit in spaces that leave those types of bottles behind.

No funny taste, no plasticky odor. Easy to clean (I use a bottle brush) and easy to store because it folds up. Super for camping or other active pursuits where regular water bottles are kind of a pain. I received a sample in exchange for my honest review.

Yinen HBS-760 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Music Stereo Universal Headset Headphone Vibration Neckband Style for iPhone iPad Samsung LG (Black)
Offered by ThunderStorm
Price: $12.99
5 used & new from $12.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work well for running or other active sweaty pursuits - perhaps better for stationary listening, June 26, 2015
I might be the sole person but these were just o.k. for me. I am a very active person and I require my headphones/earbuds to really work with me while I'm moving about. Whether that is housecleaning, doing yard work, or running 16 miles - I really like them to be multi-functional. On the plus side these have great sound for their size and composition (these are not hundreds of dollars). They are fairly easy to operate and pretty intuitive. They arrived well packaged with all the required accruements (cord, instructions, extra plastic pieces for your ears, etc). My main issue is that they don't sit easily on my neck but bounce about while I'm being active. I have other sets that sit more in the cavity between my shoulder blades and neck but these sit just outside that. I suppose it might be I am a pretty petite female and these are just a big big. Carrying on with the same theme the earbuds in these just kept falling out. They fell out of the little holding spaces for them on the unit themselves and they fell out of my ears. Changing the pieces out did not help - nothing fit well and as a result I was always fiddling with them.

If you are looking for a headset to use while you are on your computer, or doing another stationary activity these may be a good option at this price point. If you are looking for something for when you are really active - I'd recommend another option. That means for my purpose they would get zero stars but perhaps given my particular perspective (someone that is very active and wants these to be able to handle that level of activity) these are a good choice for a regular size person who isn't going to try and run 16 miles in 90 degree weather with them. As they say your mileage may vary (these could not keep up with mine!)

I received this headset for review. My review is my own and I always share from what perspective I write it and fairly assess the items use to me.

Jumbl Filtered Pet Fountain Feeder with Removable Food Bowl and Built-In Nightlight Safety Light - Great for Cats and Dogs - Super Quiet Operation - Holds and Filters Up To Three Liters of Water - BPA Free - White
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $34.99
2 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a while to get all 4 cats to use it - but patience is a virtue and now all love it!, June 22, 2015
So I wasn't sure at first if this was going to work. I have 4 cats - One super curious, One super chill, One that's sort of in between, and One that is 13. The 13 year old is who I really wanted this fountain feeder for. She has lymphoma and is on steroids and it makes her very thirsty. I live in the DC area and it's hot and humid - I have AC but like fresh air whenever possible so it's also a temperature thing that causes her to drink a bit more.

When I got it the younger curious boy immediately liked it. And only him. It took the last 4 weeks to get the other cats on board with this filtered fountain water. I just gradually encouraged them to use it by making this the most convenient option. I didn't take other water away - I just made sure this unit was front and center in the living room where they like to hang out.

It's pretty easy to use and set up - but do read the directions. It runs with little electricity but it is not as quiet at times (usually when it' starting to get to minimum fill line). I clean it at least 1x a week (I'm a bit of a clean freak and the water is hard here). They really like it now and have all moved over from regular bowls. What I notice is that they drink a little and go and come back much more often (which makes getting photo's harder LOL). Maybe it's a little bit of "spring" wilderness (drink out of a stream) type feel for them - but they like it so I do too!

I received this item in exchange for my honest review. Frankly it's the cats who decided on this one - I personally have not drunk from it.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Kitty Boinks 10-Pack Pet Toy
Kitty Boinks 10-Pack Pet Toy
Price: $12.98
2 used & new from $10.49

2.0 out of 5 stars I thought them very clever and fun (for kids) but not so much for pets, June 22, 2015
They are fun for humans but not so much for kitties. They like watching them fly but then they go to see where they are and that's it. No further interaction. They don't play with them, bring them back, or otherwise interact. The concept seems like it would work - but reality tells a different story for my four felines (ranging in age from 1 year brothers to 13 year old lady )

The CSA Cookbook: No-Waste Recipes for Cooking Your Way Through a Community Supported Agriculture Box, Farmers' Market, or Backyard Bounty
by Linda Ly
Price: $17.27
45 used & new from $12.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully put together, pages stay open, not completely healthy and, though some recipes are vegan, many are not, June 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My review perspective is a vegan who has a Farmer's Market a block away from her house every Sunday. I'm in the Mid Atlantic region.

On the whole I thought the recipes were fairly tasty. The different Humus recipes are interesting. I liked the green bean one's and some of the leafy green one's. As a vegan I found most of the recipes I tried could be altered to suit - but some (like Mac n Cheese) are just not possible because you have to be creative to do substitutions and have them work well. As an example, in the Leafy Greens chapter, there were 7 recipes that would be classified as vegan, 5 as Vegetarian, and 4 that contained meat products of some sort. These recipes aren't exhaustive but they are different - I think anyone looking for variety would be pleased.

What dropped the stars for me was two fold - one was that some of these recipes are not really very healthy for people who do not subscribe to the current "in vogue" paleo or high fat lifestyle. These contain a fairly high amount of oil and ingredients like butter. Now granted you can substitute (remove the butter and oil, tone down other ingredients) but I guess I figured someone who was doing a CSA would have a more healthy focus. Of course my healthy is not your healthy - so I am weighing this against my food lifestyle which is lower in oils and which does not include cheese or butter and similar. I definitely understand the title of the book does not address healthy - it addresses no waste concepts. Use all the pieces and waste not.

The other much more major issue is that many of these ingredients are not going to come from a Farmer's Market or CSA - at least not in my area of the country. I spent 24 years in San Diego and I recognize some of the ingredients from Farmer's Market's in LA and San Diego. Those markets are light years away from what I can get (or grow) in my region. I just came back from the Farmer's Market and it was all ordinary items: Multiple varieties of cherries, raspberries, blueberries, Apples, Kale, Chard, Lettuce (variety), potatoes (all sorts), tomatoes (all sorts), cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and then the typical squash, onions, etc. In California the variety was probably tripled. I could get all sorts of greens (beyond the "norm), fresh cheeses, many more fruits like citrus, mango, figs, berries were much more common, mushrooms, beans like Fava, Lima, and French Green Beans (other than regular green beans), etc. So though a good percent of the items are available anything remotely (relatively) exotic is not.

I'd really rate this 3.5 stars but that's not an option and I rounded up *because* it is a visually appealing book with great photo's so consider that the additional star that balances. I prefer to "see" the recipe product - because that makes me want to try it more.

Proactiv+ Cleansing Body Bars, 2 bars (5.25 ounce each)
Proactiv+ Cleansing Body Bars, 2 bars (5.25 ounce each)

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not appear to do too much - didn't make it worse, acne did go away but seemed more like just time and not like the soap, June 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am very active so sweat a lot - while I don't have regular acne except occasionally on my face my body is different. My chest, neck, and upper back can be subject to bouts of acne that are unsightly and painful. I usually use all natural soaps that are hand done (with ingredients I can pronounce and recognize) and have been pretty happy with them. However I have (as has my teen) used Proactiv in the past so the brand was familiar. I do not like cleansers - my skin is too sensitive. I use bar soap pretty much exclusively.

These bars are a good size and have a pleasant smell. They are grainy so feel a bit like a loofah. They fit comfortably in your hand and have a good weight. Nothing to complain of in any of that. In use though I haven't really had results that are stellar or terrible. They've been kind of meh. I'm training for a marathon and that means a lot of sweat and some acne in my areas that are prone to this. While this bar seems to do a fine job cleaning and assuring the skin "sloughs" off I have not seen a real reduction in any of the acne. It did go away, but it always does for me, and I didn't find any acceleration to its leaving. So it might have helped but it doesn't seem too much like it effected the result. I gave it 3 stars because I'm on the fence. I'll continue to use it and ask my daughter to give it a try since her acne is more traditional teenage acne - perhaps it is better for that.

I actually went back to the proactive sulfur mask which works fabulously (cannot recommend it highly enough) as a spot treatment for acne.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20