Profile for Laksmi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laksmi RSS Feed (Washington, DC USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Speedo Women's Vanquisher Mirrored Swim Goggle
Speedo Women's Vanquisher Mirrored Swim Goggle
Price: $9.49 - $35.88

1.0 out of 5 stars broke almost immediately, July 28, 2014
hard plastic part of nosepiece broke third time they were used.

DeBuyer Mineral B Element Iron Frypan, Round
DeBuyer Mineral B Element Iron Frypan, Round
Offered by Chef's Arsenal/Market Warehouse
Price: $59.95
9 used & new from $50.00

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent pan, but heavy, April 26, 2014
I was looking for a pan that would be non-stick without a non-stick coating, but less heavy than cast iron, which is my current favorite. This pan works beautifully and distributes heat better than my cast-iron pan, but it's nearly as heavy--I don't think I could manage a larger size. It also rusts if you don't dry it, but it's easy to wipe off. It has a nice patina. So if you want the French chef look rather than the lumberjack look, this might be a good alternative to cast iron, but be forewarned about the weight.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2014 2:11 PM PDT

Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind (The 99U Book Series)
by Scott Belsky
Price: $8.80
65 used & new from $7.95

2.0 out of 5 stars buyer's remorse, April 26, 2014
I purchased this because Amazon was pushing it based on other books I was considering, without looking at it too carefully. The content is pretty much generic time management material in little soundbites, mostly by bloggers. Despite the title reference to the "creative mind," it's really about business and productivity in a digital world; if your idea of a "creative mind" is Timothy Ferris or David Allen (of Getting Things Done), then you'll probably like it. In other respects this books seems like the antithesis of creativity. The book design is mystifyingly poor: I sometimes can't tell whether it's the visual ugliness or the bland content that makes every section sound the same. I imagine that some of the contributors really do have interesting things to say… but these get lost in a sea of platitudes and/or snuffed out by the ill-designed format. Perhaps this gives me greater appreciation for what makes something a real book--visually readable, with sustained actual content--rather than a grab-bag of blog posts, the likes of which are available for free online anytime. Learn from my mistake and please use the "look inside this book" function to be sure this is what you want!

How to Age
How to Age
by Anne Karpf
33 used & new from $6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars How to Age by Anne Karpf (NOT "HOW TO BUILD CONFIDENCE BY UNKNOWN"), April 24, 2014
This review is from: How to Age (Paperback)
Thoughtful and insightful--and it's an important subject. You are aging as you read this! The author suggests that rather than trying to resist aging, think about the person you want to be when you are 75: when you can be only more yourself, vital rather than diminished. You can watch the author talking about her book here [...]

Brooklyn Makers: Food, Design, Craft, and Other Scenes from the Tactile Life
Brooklyn Makers: Food, Design, Craft, and Other Scenes from the Tactile Life
by Jennifer Causey
Price: $17.24
82 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty but slight, January 24, 2013
This book is like a series of magazine articles--brief, insubstantial ones, with maybe half a dozen Q&A questions, 5-8 photos, and an intro paragraph for each. The photos are attractive, but with many of the artists, I couldn't get a sense of what their work actually looked like. One of the jewelry designers: no clue at all what she made. The full-page photo accompanying some candy maker looked partly like a half-sheet pan of tomato sauce, which I suspect it's not, and it's mostly out of focus because of the close up. One section on a florist was very pretty, but I felt like I was getting eyestrain trying to figure out what one of her arrangements might look like. Etc. I know it's not a catalog but I'd prefer to have a stronger sense of what the makers actually make, rather than just an artfully arranged still life of materials, or a close-up of a cup of tea or of someone's hands. Apparently artists spend a lot of time styling things and don't actually get materials dirty. The photos seemed to convey more about the aesthetic of the photographer than the creative vision or characters of the artists themselves, unless they are all similar. Maybe it is supposed to be more of a celebration of creativity in general. The book gives a sense of the fertile creative scene in Brooklyn--which can be, yes, precious--and it's fun to see what people are up to, but I guess I was hoping for more insight and more visual inspiration from a book.

Magid Glove TE166T-M Terra Collection Deluxe Spandex Back Gardening Gloves - Womens Medium
Offered by Tonzof
Price: $26.03
6 used & new from $12.13

4.0 out of 5 stars runs small, September 1, 2012
I have small hands, so I wasn't really put off by the reviews saying that they run small... but they really do! My hands are a size 7 glove and I think the large might have fit better than the medium I got. So far they seem durable. This kind of glove never seems to last more than a year for me.

Women's Smartwool Feather Vine-M--Claret
Women's Smartwool Feather Vine-M--Claret

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty but not my favorite smartwool socks, September 1, 2012
These socks are beautifully designed, but the vine wrapping around also affects the knit of the sock and thus the fit: they pull and twist around the foot. They are a good weight and otherwise fit well.

What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life: Ageless Secrets of Style
What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life: Ageless Secrets of Style
by Kim Johnson Gross
Price: $19.49
94 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars thoughtful, enjoyable book that needed an editor, September 1, 2012
I can understand the reviewers who thought there was too much of the author in this book, but I didn't mind. I thought the author seemed like a sweet, likable, charming, brave, resiliant, reflective person. It can't be easy for a former leggy blonde model to then find herself in midlife with an intractable belly, constrained finances, a divorce, a career shift, and a wardrobe that doesn't fit her new life. I admire that she admits how deep and difficult her life change has been--and that even after starting an exercise program, she's been asked if she's pregnant. Such is life. Her fashion advice is an interesting combination of savvy style tips and encouragement to dress in a way that fits your life and makes you feel comfortable: for ex., she admits to wearing polarfleece and embraces flats. I found that refreshing. I like that she has a developed sense of the relationship between identity and wardrobe, and she talks about clothes in a way that acknowledges how they can be an extension and reflection of ourselves.

Compared to Kendall Farr, she's more introspective and less dictatorial. I like that and KJG's book seems to be about developing a style that works, less about external rules. I read Farr's The Pocket Stylist and I just don't have to or want to dress that professionally so it was of limited use. If you have a freak flag to fly, Farr is not your woman. But it depends what the reader is looking for. Farr gives more suggestions about particular brands, and KJG explores clothes' role as part of our life journey.

That said, the fashion advice seemed very good but also a bit scattershot, and the book had little sections of "W2W closet journal" but I had no idea what "W2W" meant, though I paged back to look for it. I wasn't really moved by her terminology like "mirror talk" or the idea of the "feel-good closet," but whatever. The book needed a good editor to make the advice more organized and accessible. Still, I appreciate her message that your wardrobe needs to adapt when your life changes, and change is normal and healthy and no matter how unwelcome, inevitable. It's pointless to feel bitter that you can't wear what you used to, but there's also no reason to give up--just re-evaluate, purge your closet, and shop for what suits you now. It is a constructive, supportive book that I'm sure will find a wide audience.

Circulon Infinite Hard Anodized Nonstick 12-Inch Round Griddle with Slanted Sides

4.0 out of 5 stars Very heavy, January 10, 2011
This is a good pan, but inconvenient because of the weight. It takes a long time to heat up and I can't lift it with one hand, which I prefer to do to make crepes; instead, I have to put the batter down and use both hands to swirl the batter around. The anodized surface is good for all kinds of pancakes, including dosa and socca and crepes, which will develop a nice crispiness that you can't usually get from nonstick, but I don't use it for sauteing: for example, mushrooms will dry out rather than sear. The pan I prefer for crepes and eggs is this one: Calphalon C1210P Commercial Nonstick 10-Inch International Griddle/Crepe Pan. It is heavy enough for the job but not too heavy to lift with one hand, it heats up pretty quickly, and because the sides are straight you get nearly the same surface area as with this 12" pan. I can't speak to the longevity of either, but I've had them about 9 months and both are holding up well. For most nonstick uses I think old-fashioned cast iron is probably the way to go.

Armarkat Premium Cat Condo Pet Furniture X4501-discontinued 90% off
Armarkat Premium Cat Condo Pet Furniture X4501-discontinued 90% off

5.0 out of 5 stars kitty paradise--and we can stand to look at it, May 29, 2010
We looked at a lot of cat condos and this offered a good balance between play value for our kittens and visual simplicity for us. (I'm sure they would have loved one of the giant ones with many perches, too, but we didn't want it dominating our living room.) This is easy-to-assemble, sturdy, stable, well-designed, and the colors are pleasantly warm rather than pasty off-white. The "goldenrod" color is not bright or harsh, the fleece is soft, and the cats like to scratch on the all-sisal posts. I don't know if a large cat would fit in and out of the holes: check the measurements. We spend a lot of time watching them playing on it, and it's in a central location in the house, so we are glad we got something decent looking. The price is similar on the Armarkat site and on ebay but I figured that if there was any problem with it, it might be safer to go through Amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2011 6:16 PM PDT