Profile for D. Johnston > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Johnston RSS Feed (Chicago, IL)

Page: 1 | 2
X-Men: Days of Future Past [Blu-ray]
X-Men: Days of Future Past [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Hugh Jackman
Price: $14.99
65 used & new from $9.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Best X-Men Yet But Colossus Still Hasn't Got His Due, August 15, 2014
I for one have been complaining about how Colossus has gotten little to no screen time throughout the films. When I saw Daniel Cudmore/Colossus appear on the Carl's Jr. commercial, I was a little optimistic, but not totally since his name was so near the bottom of the credits on IMDB. What you get in Days of Future Past is about what you'd expect. One line, and a little more screen time than X3. For what many consider the #2 X-Man of all time, it's terrible that his line in the commercial is longer than the one in the movie. Hugh Jackman gets most of the screen time, but at least Halle Berry's time on screen was cut way down. Great movie, but you may need to put Colossus' scenes in slow-motion to admire the most screen time he may ever get in an X-film.

Signature Sounds: The Music of WWE
Signature Sounds: The Music of WWE
DVD ~ Edge
Offered by Treasures4All
Price: $4.69
38 used & new from $1.70

1.0 out of 5 stars One of WWE's Worst Releases Yet, June 12, 2014
I saw this DVD at Best Buy and decided to buy it blindly without researching it. I figured "Hey it's only $10 and 'Real American' is worth the price of admission alone!" Only "Real American" is not included in the top 25 themes of all time, even though it was rated #1 all time by WWE.com several years ago. That's just the beginning though. Many other classic theme's you'd expect to see are not on here as well. They do 2-3 minute segments on each song that lasts a little over an hour, and it's over. This has to be one of their worst releases ever. Now I know why this DVD was barely promoted and I didn't know to pick it up long before I seen it on that unfortunate day. It sucks and you should avoid this one at all costs.

WWE: Triple H: Thy Kingdom Come (Blu ray) [Blu-ray]
WWE: Triple H: Thy Kingdom Come (Blu ray) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Triple H
Price: $19.99
33 used & new from $10.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Triple H Still Tries To Pretend a Match With Ultimate Warrior Never Happened, October 5, 2013
I'm the first to admit that most of the WrestleMania matches of any historical significance are overplayed and I get sick of hearing about them and seeing their matches take spots from DVD sets they release over and over. One exception though was I was really looking forward to Triple H talking about his first WrestleMania match with the Ultimate Warrior. However, if you're like me and were looking forward to this part of the documentary, you'll be sorely disappointed. In fact, they don't even mention WrestleMania until his match with Chris Jericho at WrestleMania X8. Kind of bizarre, but I'm guessing they had to skip talking about WrestleMania for awhile in order to omit talking about the Warrior match without raising a huge red flag. Very disappointing, considering Triple H has hardly talked about this match at all during his career. All there is is some brief footage of Triple H talking about this on the 2005 Ultimate Warrior DVD that was taken from WrestleMania All Day Long in 2000. How much of it was edited I have no clue, as I didn't see the show when it broadcasted and there's no Youtube footage of it. Other than that the set is very good, but to me that part of the documentary is a huge let down.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2013 3:06 AM PDT

The Best of WWE at Madison Square Garden [Blu-ray]
The Best of WWE at Madison Square Garden [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Various
Offered by Sunday River
Price: $16.69
23 used & new from $11.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept But a Terrible Product Sure To Disappoint Many, August 8, 2013
I was looking really forward to this set when I first heard about it. Of course, I expected it to be a bunch of unreleased MSG house shows that most people outside of the NY market have never seen. Wishful thinking. That's about ten percent of this set, all pre-Hogan era stuff. The rest of the set is stuff that has been mostly released elsewhere on DVD. Not at all what I was expecting or hoping for. I got 2 words for you: DON'T BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Xbox 360
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Xbox 360
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $26.98
75 used & new from $9.95

2.0 out of 5 stars I'll Take the G1 PS2 Game Over This Anyday, December 14, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Fans of the movies and Halo will like. Fans of beat-em ups and G1 will hate. I was interested in this game when I heard you can play as the Dinobots. But unfortunately you have to play through almost the entire game playing as not so cool Transformers to get to that part. I gave up on this game about a quarter through when I realized how long I would have to play to get that far. I don't like first person shooters and I hate the movies so me disliking the game may be personal taste. But the controls and especially the vehicle controls seem off. It's funny that everyone complains about the controls of the G1 import game for PS2 because I think they're great and the game is tons of fun. Only wish I hadn't gotten rid of my Japanese PS2 and PS3 because playing these TF games only makes me want to play the G1 game all over again.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2012 9:30 AM PST

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50X3 50-Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma HDTV (2011 Model)
Panasonic VIERA TC-P50X3 50-Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma HDTV (2011 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox 360 in 1080p?, February 9, 2012
Got the TV shipped to me last week from BHphotovideo for less than $600. Totally awesome deal as I wanted a 50 inch but didn't want to spend more than $600. Wal-Mart has Sanyo TVs in that same price range, but judging from reviews they're crap. Panasonic has very few bad reviews compared with good reviews. Anybody can get a stinker, that's why there's always a 1 year warranty. My main decision when buying an HDTV that rarely gets any attention is the ability to adjust the picture format. Many cheaper brands do not have this option. I must say Panasonic's ability in this area is even superior to Sony's, as the picture didn't look as stretched to me compared to my old Sony after making adjustments. And... my Xbox 360 is running in 1080p... it says it both on the TV and the game system. Could this TV really be 1080p for this price? Even if it's not, the picture is fantastic!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2012 5:30 AM PDT

Tony Hawk: Shred Bundle -Xbox 360
Tony Hawk: Shred Bundle -Xbox 360
Offered by Atomic Gaming
Price: $59.95
16 used & new from $14.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Every Other Tony Hawk Game Feel Irrelevant!, December 15, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I admit, I got sick of the Tony Hawk games around number 3 or 4 during the PS2 era. But after seeing this bundle sit for months at my local Big Lots for less than $20, I had to take the plunge. Man was it worth it! I imagine this thing must've cost around $100 when it got first released, but for $15 it's literally a steal! The board is literally awesome and it makes you never want to go back to using the regular controllers to play these games. My recommendation, don't listen to the negative reviews and BUY IT!

WWE: The Best of Saturday Night's Main Event
WWE: The Best of Saturday Night's Main Event
DVD ~ Hulk Hogan
Price: $9.79
60 used & new from $3.06

3.0 out of 5 stars Where is The Demolition??!!!, December 8, 2011
It's never been more obvious than it is on this set with the WWE downplaying one of the greatest tag teams of all time's legacy because of a several year old lawsuit that still has Vince McMahon angry.

Very noticeable on this set is the exclusion of the 2 out of 3 falls match between Demolition and the Brain Busters, with the Busters ending the nearly one and a half year reign of the Demolition being tag champs. Also missing is a 3 on 3 tag team match between the 3 members of Demolition (rest in peace Bryan Adams/Crush) and the Legion of Doom and the Ultimate Warrior.

Other than that, it's still a must buy for Hogan fans as you will find several matches on here you can't find elsewhere. But on the downside, most don't feature his promos, and there's lots of repeat Hogan matches that can be found on other sets. We could've used his infamous match instead where he faces Don Muraco and King Kong Bundy injures his ribs or his first SNME match against Bundy. But we all know how the WWE is on their sets, hence I give it only 3 stars.

Stone Cold Steve Austin: The Bottom Line on the Most Popular Superstar of All Time
DVD ~ Steve Austin
Offered by amazingwildcat
Price: $14.62
57 used & new from $3.78

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Documentary, Terrible Match Selection, December 2, 2011
The documentary and promos are great, but the match selection is a near complete waste of 2 discs. I find it hard to believe that Mr. Austin picked out the matches himself. I understand that WrestleMania is the biggest show of the year and are the most memorable matches (which is quite arguable considering all the PPVs each year.) But surely Stone Cold knows that almost all of these matches here have already been released on multiple DVD sets and are complete crap thanks to the horrific blurring of the Attitude era logo (especially for Mania 15 and 17.)

I would've hoped for more In Your House and Unforgiven type of matches rather than duplicates of the WrestleMania and SummerSlam matches that have been previously released on DVD. Diehard fans of Austin it's a must buy, everyone else the documentary is a rental or worth waiting for when it comes to WWE Classics on Demand in about 6 months. And the sidebar thing is another big minus for newer DVD sets.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2013 2:51 AM PDT

Mlb 2K9 Xbox360
Mlb 2K9 Xbox360
Offered by BA Sports
Price: $18.93
122 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Always Trust The Reviews, August 28, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mlb 2K9 Xbox360 (Video Game)
This game has been universally panned by both critics and fans alike. And honestly, I don't know why. What I never heard of was this game causing the Red Ring of Death. Before I could even play a single inning, the game kept freezing up at the intro of a game until I finally got the RROD. Now if THAT happened to everybody, I could understand the bad reviews. But as far as I know mine was an isolated incident and it just so happened it was my time to get the RROD.

But now that my system is fixed and I've gotten a chance to play this game, I can't recall having this much fun since playing NBA 2K11. I picked this title over 2K10 and 2K11 because I did not like the pitching system in those games. This one is so much easier and uncomplicated. And the graphics are UNBELIEVABLE! I haven't had any problems figuring out the controls and they seem fine to me. There might be some bugs here and there, but it's nothing major. The 2K baseball games have never been perfect, and I've been playing them since the Dreamcast days. Also note, this is probably the last 2K game to feature both Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr., which is a huge deal to me. At less than $10, BUY!!

Page: 1 | 2