Profile for Evelyn C > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 90

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Evelyn C "evwings" RSS Feed (Crescent City, FL United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
What We Leave Behind: Four Generations in Cicero, Illinois (None of Them Knew Al Capone)
by Catherine M. Eisen
Price: $23.97
5 used & new from $9.11

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll laugh and cry, August 14, 2014
I loved this book. I can see it will be a winter holiday gift. I have done genealogy since 1971. I only wish I could write as Catherine does, so vividly no matter if the subject is happy or sad. The pictures in this book will thrill anyone who enjoys history or family stories and strong women. When I try to imagine my family, it is my mother's side as my Slovak Buba had died before I was born. The story brought both laughter and tears in parts. I can't imagine having to learn all of the "strange" things that three of these women had to do that we take for granted. As difficult as it was at times, Catherine, her mother, and grandmother were so fortunate to have each other, especially that they had Mary who arrived in America in the 1800's from Austria and paved the way for later generations. The story is woven in a marvelous way using some of her great grandmother's diary. If you can get this book, I advise you to do so. I don't feel you'll be disappointed. Another reviewer said she is going to leave it on her coffee table. What a wonderful idea as What We Leave Behind deserves a place of honor. The way Catherine weaves her family history with what was going on in the world at the same time is quite interesting She has changed her roots into this wonderful story. As I mentioned at the start of my review: I would love to have the ability Catherine does to turn family lines into a complete story.

I received this book from winning it on Good Reads. I was asked to give a review, but it was not required.

Evecase Vintage Messenger Digital SLR Camera case/bag for Nikon D5300 D5200 D5100 D3300 D3200 D3100 D7100 D810 D750, COOLPIX P600 P530 P520 L830 L820 L810 L310 (Gray)
Offered by BlueMall
Price: $29.99

Stolen Innocence (Detective Jake Hunter Book 2)
Stolen Innocence (Detective Jake Hunter Book 2)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific story anessage!, June 19, 2014
It is rare for me to find a book that has a great message and that I enjoy as much as this one. I can see Mr. Parr becoming a new best selling star if he continues to write as he did in this book. First of all I would like to mention that I haven't read the first in this series, so I believe this book can stand on its own.

Pros: The message of human trafficking is given in context through out the book and done in a way, we should all be paying attend of what is happening and not bury our heads in the sand about it. It is not done in a preaching manner. Most all of the characters were well defined and I really liked them. I must say by the title I was afraid it would be a gritty hard-boiled thriller that I often find wanting. As I started to read, I was very pleasantly surprised that it wasn't like that at all. I mostly read mysteries and thrillers, and I must say this has been one of my favorites of the genre.

Cons: And it isn't really that big an issue for me, but may be for others. The language in parts is off-color. But having been in law enforcement for eight years, he handles it in a realistic way. Most squad rooms far more can be heard than what is used here.

To be fair, I won this copy in a drawing at Good Reads. It is a pre-published copy and I did find a few grammatical errors, but not that many to interfere with the flow of story. I was requested to write a review, but it was not mandatory. These are my own opinions.

I have rated the book 5 stars because I feel it was that good. Be assured I'll be getting the first book to read and look forward to at least a third in the Jake Hunter series.

Amazon Gift Card - E-mail - Amazon Kindle
Amazon Gift Card - E-mail - Amazon Kindle
Price: $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best gifts I can receive!, May 6, 2014
Who wouldn't like an amazon Gift Card if like me the do most of the shopping at Amazon. I live away from most shopping so this is a treat for me. I also liking sending gifts to family out of town and being delivered timely and in good shape.

Valeo Burst Resistant 65cm Body Ball (Green)
Valeo Burst Resistant 65cm Body Ball (Green)
Price: $22.39
12 used & new from $13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Bouncy, Bouncy, May 6, 2014
I rate this ball a five stars as it does as it promises and was as described. It also arrived in good time in good condition. I use it for some of my exercises, especially when I want to change things up or the weather is too bad to walk. The pump even work well for us.

AMT 1962 Impala SS Model Kit
AMT 1962 Impala SS Model Kit
Offered by Model Empire Inc.
Price: $49.99
3 used & new from $33.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Who was this gift for?, May 6, 2014
This review is from: AMT 1962 Impala SS Model Kit (Toy)
I gave this model to my hubby and he loved it. Of course he has worked on models most of his life. The dear knows hat I took my driving test in this model so he made sure to paint it and do the counsel the same colors our Chev was. So I have to ask myself, who was this gift really for, though he did have it on his wishlist.

Facebook
Facebook
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars If you lke facebook, May 6, 2014
This review is from: Facebook (App)
You'll want this app for your smart phone and/or Kindle Fire HD. I have downloaded on both of mine. Sometimes I'll wait on my hubby when we are at a hardware or farm store. That's when I'll my facebook on my phone. When I don't want to take my laptop, I'll use my Kindle to check in.

Words With Friends
Words With Friends
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Words With Friends, May 6, 2014
This review is from: Words With Friends (App)
I love this game. I got it for my Kindle HD. The reason I gave it a four is that it can be difficult to move the screen all the time to know where you want to place a word.

The Anniversary Slovak-American Cook Book
The Anniversary Slovak-American Cook Book
by The First Catholic Slovak Ladies Union
28 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, April 23, 2014
About 10 years ago one of my Slovak aunts gave me this as a gift. We used to do cooking together and talk about family history. The first dish I made from the book, I invited her along with her family. I received such high praise as she said: "Just like Buba's"!
I found the meaning behind much of the family traditions. The Easter baking and the Christmas traditions are my favorite parts of the book. This really is much more than a cookbook. Both of my paternal grandparents were born in Slovakia, but they are gone now. I intend to pass this on to my brother's daughter.

Dakota (Lola Wicks Mystery)
Dakota (Lola Wicks Mystery)
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Dakota by Gwen Florio, April 18, 2014
I really enjoyed reading this contemporary mystery. This is Gwen Florio's second book, however the first I have read. I gave the book a four because it was predictable. The most important thing is, the descriptions are so wonderful. She put me in the scene o matter if it was gritty or idealic and I loved that about the book. The events she depicted sometimes happen in any place where there is a strong "haves" base compared to the "Have Nots". I think Gwen not only sparkles with her descriptions, but also comes alive when she writes about the newspaper business. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I feel I shouldn't go too far into the story.

I would recommend this book to people who love a mystery other than a cozy; for those who enjoy the Dakota areas of the country; those who enjoy reading about different cultures; and like romance involved, too. I want to read Montana and follow her writing.

**Notice** I received this book in a First Read chance by the publisher. The above is my honest opinion and given voluntarily.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9