Profile for Jerry W. Matchett > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jerry W. Matchett RSS Feed (Edmonds, WA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Short History of Progress
Short History of Progress
by Ronald Wright
23 used & new from $48.83

2.0 out of 5 stars Historical Perspective - yes, Scienctific Knowledge - No, January 4, 2014
The author knows a great deal of history and has an amazing ability to interestingly summarize facts, features and historical comparisons. However he gives himself away about his scientific ignorance when he, without any analysis, simply accepts the IPCC scam on global warming. The reader, of course, has the benefit of a decade of history since the book was written to understand how false global warming nonsense has become. Perhaps the author will spend more time researching recently acquired knowledge before writing it down as truth in the future.

Color...How to See and Use It
Color...How to See and Use It
by Fred Bond
9 used & new from $6.64

5.0 out of 5 stars How I learned about color in Photography and Art., June 2, 2013
I bought this book when it was new and Amazon had not yet been thought of, much less the desk top computer nor the WWWeb. I was a high school student and an avid photographer. I went to the camera store 4 times before I decided I had to buy it, using my paper route money. I had found that by being a fast reader I could browse in bookstores and in the course of several days, read an entire book. But Fred Bond's book offers more than just reading. It includes special pages printed in pigments from the Munnsell Color Corporation (The standardizing experts in color). It includes a Munnsell Color Wheel that folds out and in an envelope on the back contains several grey colored sheets that allow cutting out portions to create automatic color schemes like complimentary etc.

I would contact the used dealer before committing to purchase and ask that the color wheel be certified against having been left out in the sun (thereby fading) and that at least one of the grey cut-out charts was still intact without any cutouts made. (you can use a copy machine and grey paper to make duplicates) They are the most useful tool in understanding color schemes. You can, for instance, cut out the patches to allow the grey mask to show any set of adjacent colors on the wheel, sets of complementary colors, split complementaries, etc.
Another consideration is that the book was assembled from different types of printing and was punched with rectangular holes and a plastic gripper strip was used to hold it together. Finding out about the quality of the gripper strip would be a good idea.

Later in my life I found myself teaching photography and made color slides of several of the chart set ups to teach with. If I had not stored my copy in a box in a desk drawer (in the dark), I would probably be looking for another copy now. It is one of those books that needs to be republished

The Whole Foods Diabetic Cookbook
The Whole Foods Diabetic Cookbook
by Patricia Bertron
Price: $12.49
76 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Deadly Recipes for Diabetics !, March 19, 2013
After friends convinced me that a vegetarian diet would help my diabetes I bought this book, Whole Foods Diabetic Cookbook, and began to follow it's recipes. I gained 38 lbs before I gave it up. The recipes are loaded with carbohydrates - exactly what a diabetic should not be eating. My salvation was in finding the book, Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, that taught me to eat large amounts of fat, medium amount of proteins (including meat), and very minimal carbs. I generally stay under 35 grams of carbs a day, an amount exceeded by some single recipes in Whole Foods Diabetic Cookbook. I have been on the Bernstein diet for 27 months and my weight has dropped 50 lbs, my use of insulin is cut in half, my lipid panels are wonderful and in every way I am getting better (except I have to buy some smaller waist-size pants. My A1c reading is down to 5.0
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2013 7:53 AM PDT

Nature's Way - Phosphatidylserine, 500 mg, 60 softgels
Nature's Way - Phosphatidylserine, 500 mg, 60 softgels
Offered by Nutrition Depot
Price: $26.20
12 used & new from $23.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Using PhotoShop work as a measure of PS efficiency, April 20, 2012
Being an avid photographer, I spend considerable time operating the software product, known as PhotoShop. That software is so complicated and has so many possible permutations and combinations of effect that one can spend a lifetime trying to learn it. One of the things it allows is the assignment of a special key combination to stand for a larger number of steps. If you realize that you often use special effect #1, followed by special effect no. 2, all the way up to special effect #8, and that each special effect requires different key strokes, you can assign a special key stroke sequence that calls up all 8, in order. This represents a serious savings of time and over the years I have invented 87 of them.
As I have gotten to my present age (73) I discover that I forget the keystrokes I invented. A clerk at a Vitamin shop suggested Phosphatidylserine as a remedy. Beyond the shadow of a doubt, it works. If I take 500mg in the morning, I can work at the computer and not forget the special key strokes. (Well maybe I forget a couple - maybe need to increase the dosage)

Now I recognize that this is not a double-blind study, but if they started one tomorrow, I do not have enough time to wait for the result. This test convinces me. The only awkwardness is that both PhotoShop and Phosphatidylserine have the same abbreviation: PS. Thus PS helps me with PS!

The Resilient Earth: Science, Global Warming and the Future of Humanity
The Resilient Earth: Science, Global Warming and the Future of Humanity
by Doug L Hoffman
Price: $17.29
36 used & new from $1.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Writing above average; diagrams less than acceptable., April 20, 2012
In my retirement I have been reading works on the climate controversy. This is book number 50. Being a retired high school science teacher, I tend to look at such books and ask what kind of teaching resources they would make. I think a teacher could use this book and easily plan a course around it's outline. My only sense of despair is that a large number of illustrations look like they were lifted from web sites and have been reproduced at abominably poor resolution and much too small in size. Maybe it is because I am 73, but I simply cannot make out the details in them. That makes the book less than superior.

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Offered by SoundCityInc
Price: Click here to see our price
54 used & new from $99.39

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, August 24, 2011
Check out the reviews on web. One of them is at [....] The reviews suggest this lens is of rather poor quality. It may be better than nothing but other Canon lenses do a much better job.

Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs
by Neal D. Barnard
74 used & new from $5.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems contrary to other information, August 11, 2011
I tried going on a vegetarian diet, after reading The China Study, and gained 33 lbs in a year. I then read Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories, followed by Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution which suggest everything about Barnard's Program is backward. I dropped the vegetarian diet and started the low carb, high fat and protein suggestions of Bernstein and have lost most of the weight I originally gained. I am a T-2 diabetic and my blood sugars are now under good control, my previous use of slow acting insulin was approximately 95 units a day and is now approximately 5-7 units. At the same time my A1c measurements have dropped from 7 or 8 to about 4.8. Gary Taubes has published a new book, Why we are fat and what to do about it, which gives a clearer outline of what he had laboriously detailed in his earlier book.

It is obvious that Barnard (low fat vegan) and Bernstein/Taubes (high fat & medium protein but low carb) cannot both be right unless people come in two types, each reacting differently. (Who knows - some of us are brown eyed and some blue) Should that be true, then individuals have to do what I did and try both. There are some suggestions that one's tolerance for carbohydrates in the diet is related to how many generations that person is from when his ancestors adopted agriculture and began eating grains. In my case, I am entirely northern European (Scot's Irish, Norwegian, Swede-Finn) and we know, from Greek writings that cultivation of grain was not introduced to England until 5 BC. That means that I probably have relatively few generations of ancestors that ate grain. A 7th cousin has provided me with the tomb-stone information of a relative of the 1400s who was noted on the stone as "eating only flesh, and of the grain, drinking only ale." Sounds like he was a low carb man even then, and perhaps an alcoholic. (The latter condition does run through my family) Summary: you might want to try both vegan and low carb to see what works for you.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2014 1:37 PM PST

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
by Bryan Peterson
Price: $14.68
127 used & new from $9.86

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for beginners, but......., January 10, 2011
Having both run a photo business and been a high school teacher (both science and photography), I tutor a lot of beginners in photography and I have been looking for a book to recommend to them. Although this book is not organized the way I would prefer, it is reasonably good and will help the beginning photographer learn some of the fundamentals. It's biggest faults are in the author's distain for any use of the histogram, saying nothing about computer processing (which is the second half of the photographer's task - just like learning the darkroom years ago), and giving such slight coverage to such topics as flash fill. I am also disturbed that the book is of only two components: words and photographs. He has ignored the usefulness of diagrams which can be such important learning tools. One example: a diagram of a series of lens apertures, labeled with f/stops below them would be such an efficient way to get the idea across. Instead he uses words, which can easily be misinterpreted.

It is OK for beginners, but I'll keep looking for something better.
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2014 6:17 AM PDT

The Secret To Low Carb Success!: How to Get the Most Out of Your Low Carbohydrate Diet
by Laura Richard
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
94 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice summary of opinions, December 17, 2010
I had started out to make a chart comparing the various books on low carb diets. Some stress protein but not fat, others are high on fat but stay away from saturated, etc. Then I discovered this book, which nicely gives the summary data from a large number.

A Vast Machine: Computer Models, Climate Data, and the Politics of Global Warming (Infrastructures)
by Paul N. Edwards
30 used & new from $13.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, May 31, 2010
This book seems little different than the rantings of a Monday morning,arriving late, college professor, suffering from a hangover, who forgot his lecture notes and even his place in the course syllabus, who decides to talk over the heads of his students about anything in general and nothing in particular because he does not know that they will appreciate the difference.

An example, "I intend the notion of knowledge infrastructure to signal parallels with other infrastructures, such as those of communication, transport, and energy distribution. Yet this is no mere analogy or metaphor. It is a precise, literal description of the sociotechnical supports that invariably undergird facts and well-accepted theories."

Imagine 439 pages of this drivel!

He does not realistically appraise evidence regarding "human caused global warming" but does claim that computer model output constitutes data! How MIT could publish this is beyond me!

(added Jan 9, 2011)

Steven Forth doubts that I have read the book. Janet withdrew her comment so I will never know what it said. Mats Frick says my writing is an "obvious attempt to divert potential readers from gaining insight into climate science." Robert Welcyng appreciates my comments. Steven K wants me to exercise my mind. Elliot Zais says that I am not up to the task of reading the book and compares me to Beck and Limbaugh. Daniel Yee suggests I am a lay reader. Rblan comes to my defense.

I am surprised that I need to give my C.V. here but perhaps it is important. I hold a BS in biology/chemistry, a Washington State teacher's certificate, 42 additional college credits in marine biology and ecology, and a master's degree in Educational Communication. I even took a meteorology class. I taught for a third of a century, mostly in a suburban school district north of Seattle and two years of that time in Truk High School, E. Caroline Islands, Micronesia; two years traveling the state of WA for the Pacific Science Center bringing a portable van science program to elementary schools, followed by substituting in a private religious school for a chemistry teacher on leave, and finished my career teaching for Seattle Schools Home School Resource Center where parents sent their home schooled children to take a single class such as biology or chemistry.

I have taught biology, marine biology, chemistry, physics, photography, mathematics, earth science, environmental science, and a few other courses I was unprepared for. In one way or another I have taught every level from kindergarten to college level. That has made me a semi expert in converting complicated science into simple terms for the student.

I have always considered myself a liberal green-oriented environmentalist. A few years ago I heard a local radio personality decry human-caused global warming and it made my blood boil. I had seen Gore's movie and was 100% behind it. Since I was retired I decided to research the literature on global warming. After I had read more than 30 volumes, used the U of Washington campus to research and follow up on well over a thousand research papers and read who-knows-how-many web blogs, I contacted the radio personality and apologized for an earlier email where I had said that he did not know what he was talking about.

There is a profound problem with the "consensus opinion" on global warming. They will not release the information about the science. They will tell us that all the important scientists agree, but they do not release the bulk of the science for us to see. For the last year I have tried to write a high school textbook that will give both arguments for and against human-caused global warming, the ideas of science both for and against, how-much and how-long. My thought was that a teacher could present the material without taking sides and let the students discuss, take sides, argue and learn about science as a human endeavor. The first thing they should learn is that science is never a consensus for very long and different opinions are what make it great. Unfortunately much of the available literature is political and not science.

"A Vast Machine..." is completely worthless for my purpose. The author does not even know the basics of communication. He does not explain; he obfuscates. Save your money!
Comment Comments (21) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2013 4:19 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2