Profile for Liat2768 > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 408

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Liat2768 "Liat2768" RSS Feed (dallas)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nexgrill 820-0015 2 Burner Table Top Gas Grill with Tank Regulator
Nexgrill 820-0015 2 Burner Table Top Gas Grill with Tank Regulator
3 used & new from $219.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent performance over years of use, April 26, 2015
We picked this grill up on a whim at our local warehouse and didn't expect to get more than a year or two out of it. Four years later it is still chugging along like a trooper. The ignition switches still work (which is a minor miracle since they died within a season on our previous grills), the plates still clean up well and there are no signs of rust or corrosion anywhere on the body. Once summer arrives in Texas my oven stays off and meats go on the grill so this little champ has seen a lot of work!

The grill heats up very well and does an excellent job with searing at high heat. It does not come with a temperature monitor which would have been really helpful but, since it performs consistently, it is easy to figure out how long it will take to cook a particular meat once you have some experience with it.

The biggest annoyance about this grill is that I have not yet found a stand for it. It sits on a metal table right now and it is not the best setup where appearance is concerned.

Remington XF8550 Smartedge Advanced Foil Shaver, Blue
Remington XF8550 Smartedge Advanced Foil Shaver, Blue
Price: $99.99
4 used & new from $94.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Stands up fairly well in comparison to the Norelco speed XL, April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Electric shavers are never as good as the good old fashioned razor and cream but there are times when a quick touch up is needed and you really can't beat an electric shaver for the convenience. As an owner of Norelco shavers over the past few decades I was curious to see how the Remington XF8550 would compare.

Pros :
I really like the stand/charger that comes with the Remington since it folds in on itself and stores very compactly for travel. The Norelco stand I have is too big to travel with and I just take the charger and have to lay it down on the counter when we travel.
Compared to the triangular head of the Norelco, the Remingon is definitely faster at giving a close smooth shave on flat areas of skin.
The pop out trimmer is excellent. Much better than the one on either one of my Norelcos ever were.
The charge gauge showing how many minutes of a charge you have left is a great addition.
If you like shaving in the shower then that aspect is great.
It is really nice that the head can be cleaned out easily under a running faucet. My Norelco does this as well and it is something I would expect at this price point

Cons :
The Remington has a straight shaving area and while it is great for flat areas it definitely takes some more work shaving in smaller areas or in curves. This is probably a what-you-are-used-to issue more than anything else but I really like how the norelco handles this.

At the price and performance it is a pretty decent deal compared to my NorelcoNorelco 8170XL 8170-XL Speed-XL Shaver.

As with any electric shaver, if used daily and depending on the thickness of the hair, you should keep in mind that the blades do need to be changed every 6 months or so to get optimal performance. If you use the electric shaver only once in a while for touch ups between shaves you can go a couple of years before needing to change the blades.

Tomorrowland: Our Journey from Science Fiction to Science Fact
Tomorrowland: Our Journey from Science Fiction to Science Fact
by Steven Kotler
Price: $11.79

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing glimpse into our possible futures, April 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Tomorrowland is a collection of pieces Kotler wrote for various major publications (NY times, Wired, etc) where he explores the capacity of Human invention and what it can mean for our futures. Since it is a compilation of diverse articles, the switch of topics from chapter to chapter can be a little sudden. However, if you approach it as a collection of articles this book is fascinating.

The first third of this book is about the ways that science and technology are already altering humans (bionic limbs, vision implants, etc), the second is about the way they are reshaping the world we live in (genetically engineered insects, asteroid mining, etc) and the third explores what happens when science clashes with culture and the new advances are creating controversy and dismantling a world we recognize and are comfortable in. While I enjoyed the entire book I found the last third to be most thought provoking. As technology moves at a pace that the human race has never dealt with before, how are we going to handle it? Is is something we embrace blindly or would we be wiser to proceed with caution?

If you are an open minded reader and are fascinated by where science and technology is taking us, this book will be a hit with you. The only warning I would have for a potential reader is that Kotler uses language that may be offensive to some. He casually throws around four letter words and my teen, who subscribes to Wired and Popular science, felt that the language in this book was sometimes inappropriate.

Personally, I enjoyed this thought provoking book.

Midwest Quiet Time Pet Bed Deluxe Gray Ombre Swirl 35" x 23"
Midwest Quiet Time Pet Bed Deluxe Gray Ombre Swirl 35" x 23"
Price: $35.76
22 used & new from $24.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Very thin foam, April 10, 2015
I ordered this for a Corgi mix who weighs just under 50 lbs. He is a long dog and the size was fine for him. However, the padding really leaves a lot to be desired. It is very thin and really goes completely flat to the floor if you step on it. My guess is this is a low density foam. The dog will sleep on it in a pinch but much prefers the other thick dog beds that I have for my Golden Retriever. Not a total waste of money but really not the quality I expected either.

The Book of Aron: A novel
The Book of Aron: A novel
by Jim Shepard
Price: $17.96

2.0 out of 5 stars A cold, unemotional narration of events that lacks depth., April 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
About 50 pages into The Book of Aron I found myself tempted to stop. Not because the book was emotionally hard or because I could just predict how miserably it would end but because the writing was cold, the narration unemotional and I found little depth to the characterization. While the book improved significantly by the end I still do not see it as an exceptional piece of writing or a book that adds much to Holocaust literature and memoirs that are available to day.

The plot is fairly simple and easy to follow. Aron and his family live in Warsaw and he is an eyewitness to the creation of the Ghetto and the slow strangling of the people around him by poverty, sickness and ill treatment. Aron does what he can to keep his family alive including shuttling in smuggled goods at great danger to himself. And yet, for some odd reason, everyone around him persists in claiming that he cares only for himself. Only his mother believes in him but even that love is a muddled, confusing thing. I even found myself questioning if this book was some sort of intellectual exercise by the author since there is a disassociation and lack of emotions in how he describes events unfolding.

A very annoying trend in the book is that many events make no sense and we are left completely unclear as to how they unfolded. If this is a purposeful literary technique to show how senseless and meaningless the events were - well, it gets old quickly. The events in Aron's life occur casually and in a hurried fashion without any exploration of how he, as a child, feels about it. The most reaction we get is when his friend is shot in front of him and, finally, when Korczak and the children from the Warsaw Orphanage are to be sent to the Camps.

The book really does come alive when Korczak comes into Aron's life. Korczak is a wonderful and moving figure from History and the author obviously admires, and has carefully researched. his character. He does an excellent job portraying Korczak and the depth of anguish and moral responsibility he feels for the children. The author simply does not do the same with his main character.

In the end, I do feel that this is not an eye opening addition to Holocaust fiction. It is a muddled, coldly written book with too many contrived events identical to the photographs from the Warsaw Ghetto. It is a painful book to read but any book about this level of atrocity is heart rending. As someone who has studied, and taught about, the Holocaust I think that the existing literature from true Holocaust survivors, many written from the point of view of children, far surpass the quality of this book.

The Honest Kitchen Love: Grain Free Beef Dog Food, 2 lb
The Honest Kitchen Love: Grain Free Beef Dog Food, 2 lb
Price: $25.47
4 used & new from $25.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the food, love the ingredient list and the dog agrees!, March 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used Honest Kitchen's Chicken formula with my dog before and he really enjoyed it. I did find that it made his stool a bit softer than just dry kibble but he was amazingly enthusiastic at every meal.

I normally feed my dog a grain free food for two reasons; one that I find he has less digestive issues without grain and secondly I have a child who has celiac disease and we maintain a gluten free home. This Grain Free Beef Dog Food definitely fits the bill.

Reconstituting any of the Honest Kitchen foods requires some patience. You need warm water to rehydrate the powder and the smell is really pretty good. I do stir and add more water after a few minutes if the consistency seems too thick. Mixing it in with the kibble was not a hit in our house but I think that is because the kibble got wet and stuck to the bowl. Also, I would highly recommend washing the bowl after each use.

This is an expensive option for dog food if you have a large breed dog. My Golden Retriever would go through a box in less than a week! His current bag of dog food (which runs at over $60)lasts a month so it would be a step up in price. Having said that I am very impressed with the ingredient list and the quality of the food in this box. The fact that this is Human Grade food with American Grown Beef is a huge plus. I've learned from experience to stick with only American Grown beef products and Rawhides for my dog. I tend to steer away if the hide has been processed out of the country as well. So, if that is a concern for you too, this food will certainly give you peace of mind!

The Honest Kitchen Revel Chicken and Whole Grain Dog Food, 2-Pound
The Honest Kitchen Revel Chicken and Whole Grain Dog Food, 2-Pound
Price: $15.99
3 used & new from $15.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional ingredients, dog loves it and convenient when travelling., March 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Honest Kitchen has taken care to exclude much of what many pet owners worry about - foreign sourced ingredients, poor quality meat sources and fillers. With recent recalls and deaths caused by contaminated ingredients many of us have learned to be very careful about where the ingredients in our pet's food come from. For the Revel chicken recipe food, the ingredient list is wonderfully short with Dehydrated Chicken, Organic Barley, Organic oats, organic Flaxseed, dehydrated potatoes, peas, carrots, parsley, celery, banana and kelp leading the list. There are no fillers or byproducts at all. Recommended by holistic vets this seems like a really good, well balanced solution to food for your pet.

We've tried it out for a few days now and the dog is dancing with delight the minute the bag is opened. You definitely need to use warm water for rehydrating the food. I used cold water on one day and Mr. Fussy must have had some issue with the texture because he didn't wolf it down the way he does with warm water. The food certainly does not look pretty at rehydrating but he obviously enjoys the flavor and it has not caused any GI issues. It smells like a good chicken soup and probably tastes like it too.

If there is anything I am not happy about with this product, it is the price tag. For an average Golden Retriever, the serving size is about 4 cups a day!! So My dog would go through an entire box in two days flat! If travelling or if your dog is a toy size I can see this being useful but for daily feeding . . . it is cheaper to get a free range chicken, a bunch of organic veggies and cook some up yourself. I do understand that not everyone can do that so it may be good buy for some but for people who own big dogs this is not a cost effective answer to dog food.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2015 8:28 AM PDT

Microexplorer100 28-piece Microscope Kit
Microexplorer100 28-piece Microscope Kit

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute junk! Don't waste your time., March 17, 2015
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I picked this up in our local wholesale store for my kids since they both love science and I knew we would have to invest in a microscope soon. I didn't expect much but this kit was a complete disaster.

The microscope is seemingly well built with a solid metal frame but the focus on this scope is very poor. The light is one a free spinning ball that you adjust to shine through the stage. When turned downwards it turns itself off. A good idea except that the tungsten bulb gets seriously hot and we had a few scorching incidents. The accessories that come with this kit are fine if you are ok with cheap plastic. I have finally given up on this kit and invested in the Omax starter kit which is much more expensive but will hopefully see my kids through the next decade.

Promotion Set: OMAX 40X-2000X Lab LED Binocular Compound Microscope with Double Layer Mechanical Stage + 100 Glass Blank Slides & Covers + 100 Lens Cleaning Paper

Having said that, if your intent is just for a child to play with the microscope then this may be worth it for you. For any sort of serious educational purpose, it is worthless.

Kaplan GED® Test Premier 2015 with 2 Practice Tests: Book + Online + Videos + Mobile (Kaplan Test Prep)
by Caren Van Slyke
Price: $23.32
52 used & new from $17.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Homeschoolers planning to take the GED, March 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Kaplan puts together some excellent books on preparing for tests and this book is a terrific example. Chock full of information and explanations this book is a hefty 750 pages. I really like how the program provides a diagnostic pretest to pinpoint areas of weakness. The book includes two full length practice tests - one being online where you get feedback on areas to improve on.

The book covers material in Math, Language Arts, Social Studies and Science. The section on Math walks you through the type of calculator you will be using in the test (TI-30XS), the format in which you enter answers, how to access the online version of the calculator, etc so that there are no surprises on the day of the test. The answer key in the back is very good - especially for math since it walks through the steps of solving each problem. The video lessons online are helpful and well organized as well.

The prevailing opinion is that the GED is the test only for High School dropouts to prove High School equivalency to prospective employers. For homeschoolers the GED can be a very different animal - especially in states that don't require, or allow, Homeschoolers to take State tests. I know many homeschoolers who plan on taking he GED as early as they can so that they can take College courses. This book will be an excellent resource for them.

I'd venture to say that for a hardworking student this book could very well take the place of a GED preparatory course.

Puroast Coffee Espresso Nespresso Capsule, Amore Italiano, 10 Count
Puroast Coffee Espresso Nespresso Capsule, Amore Italiano, 10 Count
Price: $11.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor flavor, not recyclable and plastic. Worth a try for people dealing with acidity., March 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have only ever used Nespresso's pods when making coffee in my machine so I was curious to try out an alternative. Having tried out most of their different intensities and flavors I found the Puroast to be similar to Nespresso's Vivalto in intensity but with a slight aftertaste that I found unpleasant. I usually stick with the mild roasts - Dulsao, Volluto and Livanto so this is a slightly darker roast than my favorites but even the darker roasts in Nespresso pods do not have this sort of aftertaste.

The major thing (beyond the flavor) that will stop me from buying any of these to replace Nespresso pods is that the pods are made out of plastic. Everyone has their own opinion on this but I do not like the idea of running hot water at high pressure through a plastic pod and into my coffee. Plastic is unavoidable in our lives but I prefer not to actively seek it out and use it with my food.

Another peeve is that the pods are not recyclable. I have sent every single used Nespresso pod back to Nespresso in their postage paid recycling bags.
The ability to recycle is what held me back from buying a single serve machine for many years. I did see mention in some of the reviews that the Puroast pods are recyclable but could not find any information on how and where that was possible.

Puroast Coffee's claim to fame is that it is 50% less acidic than other brands. UC Davis conducted a study that showed the pH to be 50% to 80% lower than other leading brands. I do find cheap restaurant coffee to be acidic but have never had an issue with Nespresso pods so I didn't really see any major benefit to switching over to Puroast. However, if you have an issue with acidity caused by Nespresso coffee pods then this may be a good brand for you to try out.

Otherwise, if you don't suffer from acid reflux or acidity after drinking coffee, this is not really worth trying out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20