Profile for Riyad Kalla > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 152

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Riyad Kalla RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Can Knockdown 2
Can Knockdown 2
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great core gameplay, unfortunately repetitive structure., August 3, 2011
This review is from: Can Knockdown 2 (App)
If you grabbed Can Knockdown 1 or 2 because you wanted to have some simple physics fun with knocking cans down, CK2 is really spot-on. The design is intuitive, the physics solid and graphics great. There are also a good combination of game modes.

Unfortunately, some too-simplistic game and level design combined with some surprisingly strict ball rules and frustrating score-keeping logic mar what would otherwise be a 5/5 can-throwing game.

Here are a few thoughts:
- You are only allowed to throw (miss) up to 5 balls during an arcade playthrough. Every level you pass, you get 1 more ball. Unfortunately it is REALLY easy to fail out only after the 4th or 5th level if you don't hit the stacks spot-on. This felt needlessly hard to me for a casual/mobile game.

- Every time you start an arcade session you start from level 1. So unless you are getting drastically better at the game each time you play, you will likely only EVER play the same levels over and over again, typically failing at the same places each time... really repetitive and annoying.

- Score-keeping detects cans that hit the "ground" as fallen cans. Unfortunately, because of some sluggish physics, this means you can knock cans high up into the air and have them LAND on the board in the middle of the screen and just lay there and not be counted as knocked down. I find this probably the most maddening design problem with the game because of the strict ball count -- if the ball count is strict, then the game needs to be more accurate at detecting knocked down cans for me.

- The board the cans sit on in the middle of the screen have a wall behind them that is maybe 6" or so from the board. So a few times I've thrown a ball really hard, had the can fly up, hit the wall, and instead of fall down and hit the ground, actually bounce back off the wall and fall back down on the board, not counting as knocked down.

Please keep in mind that I only took the time to review this because it is so close to being a great game if it just had tweaks to the issues I mention above.

RESTful Web Services Cookbook: Solutions for Improving Scalability and Simplicity
by Subbu Allamaraju
Price: $25.52
60 used & new from $21.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, packed full of details and great presentation., August 3, 2011
I had been following "What is REST" tutorials online for the last few weeks as I was working on an API for an upcoming SaaS product. Unfortunately there were still some nitty-gritty details behind the tenants of RESTful design that weren't clicking in my brain, making it hard for me to really grok if I was following the intended design guidelines correctly or just faking it like so many other services do.

Picking this book up after a recommendation from an HN reader, I got 4 chapters in before the smoke cleared in my brain and I had multiple "Ah ha!" moments such that the whole concept cleared up for me in a matter of days.

It could be the writing style or presentation, but I just found it really easy to digest and answering all my questions as they popped up in my head.

An excellent resource for anyone else working on RESTful API design.

Plugable USB 3.0 SuperSpeed SATA III Vertical Hard Drive Docking Station (ASMedia ASM1051E SATA III to USB Chipset; UASP and 6TB+ Drive Support)
Offered by Plugable Technologies
Price: $25.00
4 used & new from $23.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware, Good design, Works perfectly, August 3, 2011
I picked this up after getting an SSD for my MacBook Pro and wanting to move over files manually from the old drive to the next and this dock worked perfectly.

I unpacked the dock, plugged it in to my Mac (instructions are for suckers), plugged in the power, dropped the old 2.5" SATA drive in it and turned it on. My Mac mounted it and I copied off what I needed, happy as a clam.

The fact that this device is also firmware-flashable and flexible enough to support any SATA drive makes it an easy purchase if you need an HD dock.

Combo ACAI Fat Burn #3 and Hoodia Ultra 2000 Diet Pill with Green Tea, Grapefruit, Apple Cider, and more for Weight Loss and 2000mg of Hoodia

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly effective; great tool to curb appetite., May 6, 2011
I originally ordered this combo pack not realizing how well the two go together; after receiving them and starting on a regiment of taking them together in the morning and afternoon, I am really happy with them.

I work from home, so the tendency to get up and "snack" every hour to get away from the computer is a frequent one. I had tried Hoodia in the past and it hadn't done much, but I decided to try it again.

As I mentioned, I've taken these pills on their own and neither seem to be "amazing", but taken together there is a sweet spot with regard to appetite suppression that lasts me a good 4-6hours depending on how busy I am.

I've been very happy so far and will continue to use the two together.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2012 3:43 AM PST

20x30x1 MTL FBG Filter
20x30x1 MTL FBG Filter
Offered by Gatzies
Price: $37.80
4 used & new from $22.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted at a great price, May 4, 2011
This review is from: 20x30x1 MTL FBG Filter
Been buying filters for the house for 10 years now; used everything from the $0.99 Home Depot junkers to the $12 apiece fancy 3M ones.

Been told by more than a handful of AC repair folk that using the high-filtration (1300+) filters from 3M put undue stress on the blower motor trying to pull air through the tighter medium and that going back to a decent/cheap filter and just changing it more often is what they would recommend.

When I went back to Lowes/Home Depot to try and find "cheaper" the cheapest filters I was finding (the almost-paper garbage ones) were something like $5 apiece with the average price of the lower end filters being around $6.50.

I hopped on Amazon and found these for roughly $2.60 apiece with shipping from Ron's and decided to give them a try.

The box just showed up, about 3 days faster than expected and these were exactly what I wanted. Decent build quality, decent filter density and a metal screen on the outbound side to reinforce the filter's integrity during operation.

I'm set for the next 2 years for $32, thanks Ron's!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2012 1:47 PM PDT

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLRs
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLRs
Price: $649.00
58 used & new from $419.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have lens if you have ever been frustrated by cropped scenes, April 15, 2011
A few years ago we went to Ireland (shooting with a Canon G9) and I was constantly frustrated by my inability to capture the *hugeness* of many indoor churches or outdoor castles to convey how immense a lot of what we were seeing was.

Time and time again, at 24mm, it just wasn't wide enough for me to back into the corner of a building and capture the full scope of what we were seeing. I decided then and there that when I got a DSLR I was going to fix that issue.

Fast forward a few years and I got a Canon 60D for Christmas. In preparation for a trip to Greece (picture added to sample images) I hummed and hawed about getting the 10-22 because I was worried, even on a crop-sensor, that it would be TOO wide.

I was debating spending the $700 on this 10-22 lens or spending $1500 on the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens lens. A friend had picked up the 16-35 and said it was excellent; a perfect walk-around lens and that he never had an issue with it "not being wide enough".

Anyway, due to cost I decided to get the 10-22 and have to say that was the BEST decision I made for the Greece trip. There are an innumerable number of shots (1300 in total) that I took on that trip, capturing hillside towns, the Parthenon or ancient ruins that would have been impossible with anything narrower.

At 10mm on a crop-sensor like the 60D, that gives me an effective 16mm focal point and time and time again I was *so happy* the lens would go that wide when shooting inside a church or ruined building.

The slight bending of perspective at really wide angles was a *good* thing I though; I don't mind it, I think it's artistic and helps give a "woooAAAA that is big" impression to friends and family viewing our pictures and trying to understand just how huge these ruins were.

Since getting back I actually ended up buying the Canon 16-35 f/2.8L II USM after all and have to say that it is "wide enough" for most every day use, but for Greece, I would take the 10-22 again over the 16-35 any day because those extra 6mm make a big difference.

If you are like me and trying to shoot huge things and capture them all in-frame, get the 10-22 and know you have an awesome lens. If you are looking for the perfect walk-around lens, grab the 16-35 or just use the kit 18-135... that is actually a fantastic walk-around lens and won't send you to the poor house.

Hope the comparison of the two most popular lenses helped, because I was humming and hawing so long about that choice that I was happy when I finally made it!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Wellness CORE Grain Free Dry Cat Food for Adult Cats, Original Fish and Fowl Recipe, 12-Pound Bag
Price: $34.39
19 used & new from $33.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God Amazon Sells this Now, April 15, 2011
Been buying this food for 4 years via Amazon; originally it was sold by Pet Food Direct, which took damn near 10 days to ship it out for the first two years, then suddenly upgraded it's shipping processing and started getting the food much faster.

As soon as Pet Food Direct cleaned up it's act, Pets Co stepped in as the seller, jacked the price up 35 or 40% (higher price, no free shipping, higher shipping costs, etc.) and I got mad.

No sooner had Pets Co screwed up everything than Amazon stepped in, dropped the price back down to what it was, offered free shipping and now ships it out in like 2 days and I'm one happy camper!

I reviewed the food years ago; the cats are still on it so that tells you we are still enjoying it. After the Chinese-protein-scare with Evo we never went back and stayed on this; the two foods are really comparable; they even smell a lot a like. So if you are in the market for a low-carb, ultra high protein "natural" cat food, this is the stuff to get.

You still need to portion control if you have lazier cats that like to eat; our male managed to put a couple pounds back on even though we've been on an automatic feeder for years because he eats more than our female does when it's feeding time.

That being said their energy levels have been excellent (even though they are older now, pushing 8 years), coats are lustrous, bowel movements are regular and solid, no GI-issues to speak of, no strange gas or any other unnatural side effects caused by crap food.

This food gets a strong recommendation from us for any feline.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2011 6:30 AM PDT

VCT Electronics VP11B Grounded Europe Adapter - USA To Europe Heavy Duty Adaptor Plug German Schuko
Price: $4.98
7 used & new from $1.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought 2, took them to Greece with a group, worked perfect., April 15, 2011
With something so simple and cheap you sort of expect it to be "the wrong thing"; at least I did when we were planning our trip to Greece with friends.

These ended up being *perfect*. Charging iPad's, iPod's, using hair straighteners and blow dryers, powering laptops and radios... these worked for everything. I actually ended up buying two and sure enough one of the couples we went with needed one the whole trip so I just gave the extra one to them.

These apparently work through all of Europe; given that they worked no problem in all of Greece (Athens, Santorini, Delphi, Nafplio) I imagine you should be good to go with a couple of these anywhere in Europe as advertised.

illy Medium Roast Whole Bean Coffee 8.8-Ounce Tins (Pack of 2)
illy Medium Roast Whole Bean Coffee 8.8-Ounce Tins (Pack of 2)
Offered by FSN
Price: $25.25
17 used & new from $24.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Best vacuum-sealed beans if you can't get fresher, April 15, 2011
My adventure with coffee started years ago; I've been through a Jura-Capresso S9 (Super-automatic) and eventually found my way to a Rancillio Silvia V3 espresso machine.

My hunt for good beans (Tucson, AZ) has been as variable, eventually being able to find decent fresh-ish beans at the local Whole Foods-type-place (Sunflower). Of all the mail-order, vacuum-sealed, "older" beans I've tried (including any main-stream beans like Milestone) from a super market, these Illy are much better, but compared to real, fresh beans, they don't quite stand up.

Taste-wise these beans are much smoother than I expected; because they are vacuum-sealed and typically 2-4months old by the time you get them, I expected the dry/sharp/bitter taste that I get from every other bean I've tried (you ever tried Starbucks beans? Good lord, bitter) and was surprised when they actually ended up being quite a bit smoother.

The smell during grinding is a typical "dry/old" bean smell, it doesn't have that lustrous smell that a fresh bean does and when pulling the shot it doesn't have that carmel-colored, never-ending crema that a fresh bean gives, but surprisingly enough, it tastes pretty nice.

At my Whole Foods-esque store, I can get fresh-ish beans for $7.99/lb, at roughly $36/lb it is *impossible* for me to justify these Illy beans.

If you are in a location where fresh-beans are an impossibility and you have been relegated to super-market, main-stream garbage beans, and you don't mind paying the premium, these beans are quite nice and should keep you pretty happy.

If you are a bean-snob and demand perfect behavior of your beans through the grind/shot sequence, then you probably need to keep looking and need to move somewhere where fresh coffee is more readily found :)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted; thick, comfortable T-Shirt., March 9, 2011
This review will be short; I have been looking for a thick undershirt that is basically a white t-shirt for a while now. Tried a few things at Costco that turned out to be too thin or too soft feeling... I like that T-Shirt feel.

The Beefy T's are exactly that, very happy with my purchase.

Also, if you are in your 30s and 40s and have more a stomach than you wish you did and need a slightly longer shirt that tucks in nicely... this is probably what you are looking for -- I wish I didn't have to add this sentence, but alas, I did :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16