Profile for R. James > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 41

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. James "Russell James" RSS Feed (Bahrain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Price: $34.31
210 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Device to Smart up Your HD TV, February 10, 2014
Really good product, purchased 3 actually. Obviously 1 for myself and another 2 were given away as birthday gifts.

All this little baby requires to run smoothly is a stable internet connection and a smartphone / tab, with decent specs, any device 2012 onwards.

Note: this device is useful mainly to people (like myself) who have spent a good amount of money on their HD TV's a couple of years back and are not looking to upgrade to a newer model just for the added "smart" capabilities... this little device should be just fine for you.

Fortress
Fortress
Price: $10.00
46 used & new from $4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown Away !!, October 8, 2013
This review is from: Fortress (Audio CD)
ABIII hasn't even completely sunk it yet.. & the 3 year cycle ends :p This is one of the few bands that I wait for eagerly to release a new album.. remember the kind of feeling you had back in the day, before the release of a new Tool album... or Metallica, RATM, Soundgarden.. you feelin' it yeah ;) ?! so finally Alter bridge grace us with another offering in the form of Fortress.

Below is my track by track review of what I must say, is one of the best Metal albums of 2013.

CRY OF ACHILLES - one of the most beautiful, if not the best intros, I've heard to an opening track of any album in awhile.. the Spanish Acoustic guitar sound.. kinda reminded me of some work by Heitor Teixeira Pereira (Brazilian Musician) with Hanz Zimmer. The song itself bursts into awe inspiring energy soon after the 30 something seconds intro setting the tone for the rest of the album.. I could safely call it the "Ties that Bind" of Fortress!!

ADDICTED TO PAIN - OK.. so when I heard this song first, to be honest I thought it was a mellowed down version of "Wish You Well" off the Tremonti Solo album.. yeah, that was until Myles vocals kicked in.. and then Mark's awesome guitar solo. I was sold by the end of the song. Myles' vocals have never been better, combine that with a mix of hard hitting drums and thrashy riffs, its already becoming a regular anthem at AB concerts as you read this, definitely the best choice as a kick off single from this album.

BLEED IT DRY - one of the heavier songs on this album, Scott displays a good drumming technique making the song sound almost progressive! Myles vocals are haunting really, when he sings.. "one day you will see..." That takes us straight into Marks solo, which is probably one of the best on this album, touching Blackbird standards.

LOVER - Myles vocal range shines here, starting off with slow acoustic guitar layered with Myles' airy vocals, this ones slower but much darker, very movie soundtrack like.. Reminiscent of Myles' past work with Mayfield Four, particularly the song "Carry On." Marks guitar skills improve with every album and it really shows on this album, with every solo having a classy feel to it, one that sticks in your head, reminds me of a few early Satriani songs.

THE UNINVITED - Yes Yes Yes everyone's ranting on about the Tool similarities, (Schism, Vicarious etc.) so what.. I don't think it was an intentional thing, rather influential. Its not the first time any band has done that, you are a product of your environment after all.. listen to "Build your Cages by Pulse Ultra" , it very similar. The Alter Bridge we hear on Fortress isn't the Alter Bridge from their past 3 albums.. and if anything, the song is heavy and raging full of energy, just the way it should be!

PEACE IS BROKEN - this song can be easily placed on any of the last two AB releases, in simple words its just classic Alter Bridge, Soaring vocals with an awesome riff to go with.. pure melodic metal! This could very likely be a second single.

CALM THE FIRE - this is yet again something fresh coming from AB with its MUSE like song structure and progression. After one and a half minute into the song I actually had to hit back and listen again.. Myles vocal range is really incredible here. He even does a bit of trading vocals with himself in the verses, really amazing to listen to. More than anything it shows how tight AB is as a band and that they're not afraid to take chances with the music they make.

WATERS RISING - I remember when I first heard Mark singing on the song "My Own Prison" back in 1997 from Creed's first album, and thought to myself as a joke, hey.. there's a guitarist who casually steps in for a few lines :) Not a bad idea really given the state of the Rock music scene of the 90's. Then last year Mark goes on lead vocals on his own solo project, truly shining on his own. He's come a long way since My Own Prison, and judging from the last AB release, I kinda expected a lead vocal song by Mark on an upcoming AB release. Vocal trade offs between Mark and Myles are nothing new and flawlessly displayed here on Waters Rising, though, what the good eared listener will find really interesting on this song are the rare elements of oriental metal.

FARTHER THAN THE SUN - The bass guitar tone really stands out here making this probably the heaviest song on FORTRESS, More melodic metal with an amazing bridge here taking the song straight from 1st to 5th gear and into the lead solo.

CRY A RIVER - Listen to how this song begins and how it ends, like 2 completely different songs blend together to make one, shows a great aspect of Myles' & Mark's song writing style.. simply amazing I'd say.. a straight up rocking tune and metal radio friendly for sure.. especially how the lead follows along with the drums towards the end is just killer.

ALL ENDS WELL - ever since Creed days, we've all waited for that one signature song on every preceding album, that to many is like the satisfaction of buying any album in the first place.. of-course not in the case of bands like Alter Bridge, every song holds its own here, but somehow they manage to throw in the mix, a song like "All Ends Well" which clearly shows their roots and every aspect of their tight musicianship. This song is definitely gonna be a crowd sing along with its ballad like groove, inspiring lyrics and of-course Myles' uplifting vocals.

FORTRESS - Clocking in at over 7 and a half minutes, the Epica so to say, of this album is finally here in closing, a staple theme for AB since Blackbird. Big chorus here and an awesome unexpected thrash inspired riff that takes the listener by surprise will please enough mosh pits, all of that followed by a very Machine Head sounding guitar solo brings us to the end of a 1 hour plus journey of classy metal that will definitely stand the test of time.

My final words on this album.. its one hell of a Metal genre ride really, I now understand what Myles and Mark meant when they said that they haven't taken as many chances on any other albums, as they have taken on Fortress, and I know many fans are pleased finally, because this was what they had wanted ABIII to sound like.. well better late than never, I'm an AB fan just like you and any new music coming from them is always welcome. For me though, more than anything else I admire the magnetic power and ability AB's music has.. one to make you forget everything else that you're listening to. How they aren't a Multi Platinum selling band is just beyond me! Then again maybe its a good thing that's working out in their favor.. the last thing we need is another radio station butchering AB the way they did Creed.

All in all, Alter Bridge shine again and as usual no disappointments here, my advise... be original - buy original, support your favorite artists.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2013 7:27 AM PST

Sony Alpha SLT-A77 Translucent Mirror Technology Digital SLR Camera Body & 16-50mm Lens with 55-300mm Lens + 32GB Card + Case + Battery + Filter + LED Flash + Remote + Tripod + Accessory Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a Kid on Christmas !, July 9, 2013
There's nothing more I can possibly say about this camera after the countless number of reviews , praising its capabilities and breaking new ground in professional photography. Ive used its counterparts offered by Canon and Nikon, and I love those cameras too, most notably Canon's 7D & Nikon's D7100. Anyways.. My point is that these semi Pro Range cameras have it all.. be it video, built in camera effects, exposure settings etc, yet each camera has something that sets itself apart from the other. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to give everyone a biased opinion bent towards Sony, its more about the standards that a company sets, that fuels competition.. Coz lets face it, everyone's just trying to out do each other in the end :p Sony took their time though, and of course with some trial and error.. they offered us its Electronic Viewfinder. I didn't buy in to the idea of EVF Photography at first, being the Canon / Nikon lover obviously, then again the tech geek in me did enough research and tested enough cams for a year to finally buy one of these beasts! And definitely, it didn't disappoint. Most importantly You can actually see what you're doing and what your processed picture will look like in real time, without compromising on Photo quality. Pictures are almost 3D / Life like when viewed in the EVF! That's become the "WOW" factor everytime I click pics using this cam. The LCD Screen is also crisp. All of that bundled with one of the best lens kit, the 16-50mm. This camera is quite a handful compared to its Canon and Nikon cousins. It is definitely an investment worth making, for photography enthusiasts. On a personal note, my main reason to make this purchase was solely on the basis of innovation and evolotion of Camera Technology. Simply put, How would one fully appreciate the capabilities of any product without ever using it ?

In closing I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention, and praise this specific Bundled Package sold from Cameta Camera. Everything arrived on time and exactly as advertised. Believe me I was like a Kid on Christmas opening a Big Gift Box :p The bundle costs roughly 200$ more than the standard camera. But a totally worth 200$.. coz the additional 55-300mm Lens alone costs around 298$ .. plus you have all the additional accessories like the extra battery, Flash, tripod etc. , which if bought separately, would cost you much more. So with That being said, my last words here would be.. to get out of the Canon / Nikon shell and give this cam a try, take my word for it, you will not be disappointed!

Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Range Extender
Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Range Extender
Offered by Securifi Inc
Price: $99.99
6 used & new from $74.99

5.0 out of 5 stars best router / range extender - EVER!, February 16, 2013
This device makes life so much easier... no cables.. and everything wifi! I just shifted into a new 3BR apartment.. size wise its a pretty huge place and new so i didn't wana lay down a lot of cabling.. or trunking to send cables from one room to another.. I tried a 3 router set up.. main one being in my gaming room.. then the wifi extended to other 2 rooms with a router serving as a range extender.. and another router in the living room / lounge area doing the same thing.. it was a painstaking monotonous setup.. ip this ip that the whole manual setup thing was just crazy.. mind you it did work.. but each time i put off their main switch from those rooms.. the whole process of a re start.. was hell!!

With this securify device.. its so damn easy.. my wimax device has a pretty decent range that I'm able to catch in the living room area.. that's separated by 2 walls.. i get a decent 2 to 3 bars on my note2 phone but there's no signal by the time I walk to the lounge area.. so i simply just set up the almond device right next to the living room entrance.. took me less than 2 minutes i think, to set up. Now every corner of my apartment is a wifi zone, even the last end corner of the kitchen :) So if you're reading this review.. and are in need of a handsome looking router / range extender, just pick this one up, forget everything else, you wont be disappointed. If you read a bad review for this product.. the person probably doesn't know what he / she is doing!

All I Was
All I Was
Price: $10.00
26 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Please listen to this "Loud", July 17, 2012
This review is from: All I Was (Audio CD)
It has finally arrived .. an effort well worth the wait.

From all the online buzz & hype about this album, I was convinced that this would be a faster more thrash metal oriented album.. though on first .. second.. third listen.. it was obvious this is much more. Not all songs are as fast or as heavy as one would think, but yeah.. it packs enough punch to please all listeners and there's some really good technical drumming on this album compared to any other work by Mark.. he has upped himself once again and proved that he on his own is just as good as Kennedy or Stapp.. the addition of rhythm guitarist Eric Friedman and drummer Garrett Whitlock wasn't a bad choice @ all!! I'd like to add, I'm not looking @ this from a critics point of view.. I'm just a fan like you who has been following Creed / Alter Bridge since day one. I like the music.. I play the music.. & hell I enjoy it!

Below is a quick track by track, nothing major.. just a few things to point out.

1. Leave it Alone - guitar distortion fades in, 17 seconds and BAM! in the back of your head, awesome riff on this one and Mark's vocals are just so powerful!! Ending with a solo reminiscent of some good ol' Satriani licks.

2. So You're Afraid - heavy thrash guitars here with a chugging riff breaking into a soaring chorus.. this song has, by far, the fastest solo by Mark.. just too good ! (watch The Sound and The Story DVD for more info on this songs main riff)

3. Wish You Well - this song blends some elements of motorhead and good ol hard punk with Mark's thrash metal influences, just a 3 minute beast that you can jam to anywhere anytime !

4. Brains - the opening riff with the almost Fear Factory like double bass is just awesome.. followed by a guitar part that reminded me of 90's Heavy Metal & then Tremonti & Friedman break into dual vocals reminiscent of the one and only Alice in Chains.. everything that makes Heavy Metal music good and enjoyable is found in this song.

5.The Things I've Seen - Things slow down here a bit, a breather this one is.. still guitar heavy & yet mellow enough to please the listener.

6. You Waste Your Tiiiiiiiiiiiime - The first single off the album.. straight up thrasher.. awesome vocals.. great drumming and superb solo

7. New Way Out - this one again on the softer side of things, reminds me of something I'd have heard in College.. the lyrics have sugar and pain all mixed together and its as alternative as Rock can be.. more on the Alter Bridge side of things as far as music is concerned.

8. Giving Up - pace starts to pick up from here again.. while still being on the slower side of things this song still holds its own lyrically.. dealing mostly with ones frustrations and anger and that point where you just give in.

9. Proof - solid rocker this one.. with by far the most beautiful solo intro and ending riff, just epic !

10. All I was - Title track of the album.. back on the harder edge, Its amazing how the band can go from slow to speed in a split second.. check out the solo on this one.. amazing drumming here.. how the solo guitar & drumming chase each other is almost like what you'd hear with Kirk & Lars in Metallica.

11. Doesn't Matter - Reaching towards the end of the album.. again a medium paced hard rocker.. taking a break from the angst in other songs earlier in the album, this ones speaks about acceptance and as the lyrics suggest "you could be right, but it doesn't matter"

12. Decay - An awesome riff monster closing the album.. melodic yet metallic! Marks vocals here go up a notch too high.. very interesting!

An overall great effort by Mark Tremonti & co.
Really looking forward to seeing this Album on #1

Rock on \m/ \m/

For Mitsubishi Lancer Chrome Front Fog Light Lamp Cover
For Mitsubishi Lancer Chrome Front Fog Light Lamp Cover
Offered by OR-Max Store
Price: $25.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits Right, April 17, 2012
This cover fits my 08 GT just right.. makes the fog lights stand out..
I give it 4 stars though because one came with the adhesive tape and the other didn't have any..
so I ripped out the tape anyways and used industrial strength glue for both.. looks solid and stock.
Just be sure to read on the inside before you install..
it has markings L & R obviously denoting Left cover & Right cover :o)

Otterbox Blackberry Playbook Defender, Black (RBB2-PLYBK-20-E4OTR)
Otterbox Blackberry Playbook Defender, Black (RBB2-PLYBK-20-E4OTR)
Offered by HiLoPlace
Price: $59.99
3 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars STRONG CASE, June 18, 2011
I purchased this case after much thought.. now I see that all that extra thinking wasn't required.. this is the best case for the BB PlayBook by far. Of course, that's if you don't mind a little bulk on your product. I agree with the reviewer who said that If we spend $$$ on a tab.. we should give it the right kind of protection. Best thing is that its got a stand too. All buttons work perfectly.. In fact the insanely little power button also works just fine.. its got all the openings in the right places (mini hdmi, usb, earphones, speakers) & now since its in a good Rubber Casing.. the speakers also pack some punch! The protective Screen takes a little getting used to, though it does work perfectly. Hats off to Otterbox for making a kick@$$ Case for Playbook ;o)

Kenneth Cole New York Men's KC1631 Skeleton Dial Automatic Analog Leather Strap Watch
Offered by LuxuryExpo
Price: $149.95

5.0 out of 5 stars $$BEST TIME PIECE IN ITS CLASS & PRICE RANGE$$, June 18, 2011
I got this watch for a good friend of mine as a Birthday gift.. Just received it today.. what can I say.. IT IS SIMPLY AMAZING! Very strong built, genuine leather strap, big face big dials.. & the Classy Look. Almost made me change my mind about giving it away as a gift.. haha.. I'm definitely getting myself one. If you like watches, especially leather strapped.. you need to get this. Truly a masterpiece from Kenneth Cole, and for the Unbeatable price.. you cant go wrong ;o)

Ray-Ban RX6113 Eyeglasses Black 50mm
Ray-Ban RX6113 Eyeglasses Black 50mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price for a Ray Ban!, January 2, 2011
Got these for a friend who was looking for it locally,
but was unable to find the same design.

Luckily I saw it here on Amazon & ordered it.
We were amazed by the quality of this frame,
it way surpassed both our expectations.

Its strong and sleek.

Would definitely recommend it.

Anne Klein Women's 10-6419SVTT Two-Tone Dress Watch
Anne Klein Women's 10-6419SVTT Two-Tone Dress Watch
Price: $52.37
4 used & new from $36.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price for Great Quality!, January 2, 2011
Got this for my Mother in Law for Christmas,
she absolutely fell in love with it.
Shipping was perfect, I received it just in time!

Over the years, ANNE KLEIN have built a strong reputation for producing Quality watches @ very affordable prices!

I'd definitely recommend this as a gift for your loved one.

Great Price for Great Quality!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5