Profile for N. Bilmes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1106

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N. Bilmes "bookaholic" RSS Feed (Vernon, CT United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Wolf Gift
The Wolf Gift
by Anne Rice
Price: $17.64
110 used & new from $0.40

3.0 out of 5 stars This potentially great story suffers from overwriting and awful dialogue, December 24, 2014
This review is from: The Wolf Gift (Hardcover)
This potentially great story suffers from overwriting and awful dialogue. That being said, I loved the story! The story was strong enough to keep me coming back for more even when Rice's luridly loquacious main character went off on one of his intolerably long and intolerably frequent ruminations on the meaning of werewolfdom.

I skipped 30 pages at one point by accident, and decided that I had missed nothing. I will probably not read a 2nd book in this series if I have to pay for it, but will take it out of the library and skim for the good parts.

Moto G Case, SUPCASE [Unicorn Beetle Series] for All New Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) Phone 2014 Release, Premium Hybrid Bumper Case (Frost Clear/Black) - Not Fit Moto G Phone (1st generation)
Offered by BrilloTech
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The Case of the Missing Front Pane, December 10, 2014
Back of the case is great, but there is no FRONT of the case! From the picture I thought it was going to include a clear cover, but nope. Nada!

Shut Your Eyes Tight (Dave Gurney, No. 2): A Novel (A Dave Gurney Novel)
Shut Your Eyes Tight (Dave Gurney, No. 2): A Novel (A Dave Gurney Novel)
by John Verdon
Price: $10.43
86 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Serpentine Plotting and Taut Action, December 7, 2014
This serpentine sequel to Verdon's debut novel featuring Dave Gurney is a humdinger of a story that is going to cause mystery and thriller buffs many sleepless hours of the night as they stay up late finishing this amazing story. The mystery at the heart of this thriller concerns the decapitation of a newlywed bride at her wedding, and the labrynthian web that Verdon has constructed around that point will keep seasoned readers guessing most of the way through. There are short chapters that make reading this book seem like it's moving along at the speed of light, but the insight and intelligent dialogue and action sequences make this a step above easy thrillers like anything James Patterson has produced over the last 20 years.

Highly recommended.

My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (Wsp Readers Club)
My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (Wsp Readers Club)
by Jodi Picoult
Price: $9.71
1715 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Male Reviewer/Thriller Fan Gives this 5-Stars, November 29, 2014
I couldn't put downn this mesmerizing novel about a teenaged girl who seeks to stop having her blood and bone marrow taken from her in order to save her sister's life, as her parents now want her to give up a kidney also The short chapters are told from multiple characters' perspectives and bring this story a multifaceted effect that made for a heart-wrenching emotional read.

HIghly recommended.

Rather Be (feat. Jess Glynne)
Rather Be (feat. Jess Glynne)
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Bouncy, Bright, and Highly Terrific, November 28, 2014
I find myself singing this song more and more frequently as I think about how much I love my fiance. This song is on my short list of first-dance options for our wedding, and for anytime we're stuck together in traffic jams, laying next to each other in bed or while on a couch watching TV, or just working together in harmony.

Balderdash
Balderdash
Price: $15.00
56 used & new from $10.75

5.0 out of 5 stars "Great White Hammerhead Device", November 28, 2014
This review is from: Balderdash (Toy)
At my PreThanksgiving Gathering this past week 12 of us, ages 10-50 (sorry, older brother!) enjoyed an hourplus game of this and shook the walls with laughter, hyperventilated from hysteria, and had a great time. Our funniest lines from this one night will stay with us for as long as we are friends, and we'll be sure to bring this out again.

On Thanksgiving the next day we brought this out and played another great game. Well-worth the money!

Young Frankenstein: 40th Anniversary [Blu-ray]

"Great knockers!"
"I touched my food."
"Frau Blucher." Neigggggghhhhhhh!
"Elevate me."

Filled with schtick, puns galore, and the cutest ugly monster ever to tap-dance on stage, this movie held all five of us (my fiance, and our 3 boys aged 10 -16) captivated for the duration of the movie. We all laughed, we all smiled, and we're all going to watch it again at some point because this movie is that good and very worth returning to time and again. I used to watch this all the time on HBO in the late 1970s and really haven't seen it since, but absolutely enjoyed sharing this with everyone else who had the pleasure of watching it for the first time.

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
by Cary Elwes
Price: $15.60
37 used & new from $9.10

5.0 out of 5 stars I Had Fun Storming this Castle, November 9, 2014
I was one of those college students who was sharp/lucky enough to catch on to the inherent greatness of "The Princess Bride' back when it was first released and remember seeing the movie multiple times in its first theatrical release. Over the years I've encountered many friends who have a shared love of the movie, introduced it to my own children, and have continued to rank the movie among my all-time top-5 films. Cary Elwes' book (written by Joe Layden, who wove Elwes' tales into book-shape) brings back many warm memories of the film, gave me new insights into the movie-making behind the film, and entertained me to no end. The book itself is a little on the slim side, has many repetitive parts, and leaves me wanting more, but for all the warmth and joy the movie brought me and the book's ability to make me relive those happy moments I give it 5-stars.

Naked in Death (In Death, Book 1)
Naked in Death (In Death, Book 1)
by J.D. Robb
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
312 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "Good Mystery," Man Reports, October 18, 2014
I'm a long-time fan of mystery books, and this one was very good. There were only a few pages where I could tell this was a romance/mystery, so I was able to keep reading without too much stomach-clenching from the inner-mind ramblings as the lead character debated whether she should or should not have sex...

Very good mystery, lots of good clues, viable suspects, excellent action, and believeable dialogue. I liked it, I really did.

Shovel Ready: A Novel
Shovel Ready: A Novel
by Adam Sternbergh
Price: $18.45
111 used & new from $1.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Noirish Future Thriller, October 8, 2014
This review is from: Shovel Ready: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This semi-future noirish thriller kept me turning the pages with its lean, sparse prose and terse dialogue. The author wastes little time with superfluous descriptions of the radioactive New York City setting that serves as the heart and soul of this novel. The main character is jaded and scarred from the events of the past, and makes his living killing people for money, no reasons asked. I enjoyed the mystery at play here, and look forward to the next Spademan outing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20