Profile for Amy Tiemann > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 155

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amy Tiemann "aka Mojo Mom" RSS Feed (North Carolina, USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Earliest Teachable Moment: Personal Safety for Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers
by Irene van der Zande
4 used & new from $45.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful guide for all new parents, and caregivers too. You are in great hands with Irene van der Zande!, November 21, 2013
Irene van der Zande is the author of the classic parenting guide, 1,2,3...The Toddler Years: A Practical Guide for Parents and Caregivers which for over 25 years has helped new parents navigate the waters through the all-important first few years of life. Now van der Zande combines her toddler-parenting expertise with her work as the Founder and Executive Director of Kidpower, a leading international organization teaching personal safety to people of all ages, with the creation of the new book "Earliest Teachable Moment: Personal Safety for Babies, Toddlers and Preschoolers." What does personal safety look like for very young children? "Earliest Teachable Moment" gives parents and caregivers information and tools to create emotional safety, boundaries, and positive relationships. Add to that important parent-centered information including "How to choose safe people to care for your children." Van der Zande coaches parents on how to teach basic skills to children including "Checking first to be safe with objects, animals, strangers, and other potential problems." "Earliest Teachable Moment" is practical, compassionate, and backed by years of real-world-tested expertise. This book is a must-have for any parenting library--for yourself, a loved one, or a baby shower gift.

Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
by Chip Heath
Price: $13.97
188 used & new from $2.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Enrich your decision-making toolkit, March 26, 2013
The Heath brothers' previous books Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die and Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard are mainstays on my book shelf, and now "Decisive" joins them as a worthy companion. It is pretty shocking to think how little education most of us get on the art of how to make decisions. This book arrived at a very opportune time for me, as it immediately helped think about two major life decisions in new ways. First, my family was thinking of buying a new house, one of a family's biggest purchases. When my husband and I were touring the home, the real estate agent said, "make a list of pros and cons as you think it over." As she said that, I thought how inadequate that seemed as a decision-making strategy. Later that day, I cracked open "Decisive" and the Heaths immediately offered novel alternatives to the "pros and cons list." These solid, research-tested ideas laid out in their "WRAP process" helped me realize that the costs of moving, both financial and opportunity costs of time, were too great, and we should learn to love our current home. Second, I am thinking about applying for a new job in a new field, and the advice to "ooch," to take a small step and experiment and try out the job (by shadowing someone who is already in the role), was right on target. Take a series of small steps before you leap into a major life change.

As "Decisive" can help us make decisions more wisely and thoughtfully, it proves its worth over and over again. For me, this book was literally worth its weight in gold as it helped me save the expense of a major move! Time will tell what happens with the new job, but I will definitely face it better prepared, thanks to "Decisive." This is another hit by Chip and Dan Heath, and serves as a great resource for individuals, organizations, and would be an engaging college textbook, too.

Nurturing the Soul of Your Family: 10 Ways to Reconnect and Find Peace in Everyday Life
by Renee Peterson Trudeau
Price: $11.34
82 used & new from $5.67

5.0 out of 5 stars A compassionate guide for mindful living -- for you and all the mothers in your life!, February 19, 2013
Renee Trudeau has created an incredibly compassionate guide for mothers and families looking to live a more harmonious and connected life. Her first book, "The Mother's Guide to Self-Renewal" was wonderful, and "Nurturing the Soul of Your Family" is a great new resource.

Renee's shares wisdom and practical strategies to help you connect with your family, your self, nature--all the things that are truly important. She will show you how to enjoy the life that is unfolding before you, which is one of the best gifts that a parent can receive.

I have written extensively about self-care in my own role as "Mojo Mom" and I greatly respect that Renee has done an amazing job of diving deep and making this the focus of her life's work. You are in great hands with Renee and I highly recommend "Nurturing the Soul of Your Family" for yourself and all the mothers in your life.

The 500: A Novel
The 500: A Novel
by Matthew Quirk
295 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars "The Firm" of summer 2012, June 12, 2012
This review is from: The 500: A Novel (Hardcover)
"The 500" deserves to be a hot summer read of 2012. The Firm by John Grisham feels like the most apt comparison to me, but not Presumed Innocent the book's media releases suggest.

"The 500" is an engaging, engrossing, action novel that features some fine writing. It is not however the ultimate summer thriller. The plot strained credulity many times with the hero Mike Ford's incredible luck as he escaped time after time. I was also annoyed that Ford's girlfriend Annie, who had worked at the consulting firm longer than Ford had, was so naive and ignorant of the depth of the firm's shady dealings. Ford was taking his life into his hands by getting involved with this woman, because there was a high possibility it was a setup by his boss. Annie should have had more substance and relevance as a character, but she came off as the girlfriend, the prize.

The finale left me unsatisfied in a way that is hard to articulate without spoiling the whole plot. Overall, "The 500" was a fun summer read--quick if you are looking for a diversion at the beach or on a long flight. Very cinematic and it will make a good movie, which is already in the works.

3.5 stars If you want to know my idea of a 4-star summer read I recommend Await Your Reply or Tana French's mysteries such as In the Woods.

The Kidpower Book for Caring Adults: Personal Safety, Self-Protection, Confidence, and Advocacy for Young People
by Irene Van der Zande
Price: $24.20
34 used & new from $14.30

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure trove of effective, positive safety skills, May 12, 2012
"The Kidpower Book" is a must-have resource for parents, teachers and other caring adults. As an international nonprofit organization, Kidpower has taught personal safety skills to more than two million people worldwide, through their interactive personal safety workshops and other educational resources. Kidpower's positive, success-based approach to learning safety skills is both refreshing and effective. Research has validated the Kidpower teaching method as an evidence-based approach.

Incorporating Kidpower skills into my family's daily lives has helped me raise a child who is independent and prepared to explore the world with safety and confidence. Now all families can access this knowledge through "The Kidpower Book," a resource that is chock-full of practical safety skills and strategies, presented in a very accessible format. Topics include these and more: What Adults need to know about "People Safety" for kids; Building a foundation of emotional safety for young people; Five key self-protection strategies for preventing trouble; Protecting young people from bullying; Protecting children from sexual abuse; and Protecting kids from abduction and teaching stranger safety.

Kidpower empowers adults to teach these skills to kids in a way that is both effective and emotionally safe, not scary. This book is a treasure-trove of information and I am proud to give Kidpower my highest personal and professional recommendation.

--Amy Tiemann, Ph.D.

Gulpy Jr. Water Dispenser for Pet, 10-Ounce(Colors may vary)
Gulpy Jr. Water Dispenser for Pet, 10-Ounce(Colors may vary)
Price: $8.42
12 used & new from $5.55

4.0 out of 5 stars A great tool for any dog owner, May 7, 2012
I love the Gulpy Jr. water dispenser and as summer arrives it will be even more useful. The bottle has a belt clip and our dog has no trouble drinking out of the dispenser. It is a clever design. I am giving 4 stars instead of 5 because the Gulpy Jr. really should stand up on its own, like a regular water bottle, but it doesn't. I am not confident that it won't leak when we travel and so I like to keep it upright. Still, a great tool that I would not be without!

SturdiBag Large Pet Carrier Black
SturdiBag Large Pet Carrier Black
Offered by Our Pampered Home
Price: $69.99
4 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic portable dog crate!, May 5, 2012
We bought a SturdiBag Pet Carrier for our puppy and even though she's only 4 pounds now, we use this carrier for her anytime we're on a trip that does not require us carrying her around too much. The carrier has plenty of room to grow but is not overly cavernous, so she feels comfortable and loves it. It's very portable, great for car trips, but not comfortable for me to carry as a shoulder bag for too long. I don't expect one carrier to do all things, so for an outing that requires a lot of carrying, I use the Snoozer Pet Messenger Bag, Black.

But the SturdiBag is my favorite dog carrier. Puppy loves it and she can play with her toys or curl up and go to sleep. The carrier is well made and easily washable. I like the wire arch construction. It takes some effort to force the wire supports into place on first assembly, but after that it's good to go. I also like the washable egg-crate foam pad that comes with the Sturdibag. We bought a different carrier for a future airplane trip, but I think the SturdiBag will do just fine, and I might just return the other airplane carrier, so that our dog can just travel in her familiar SturdiBag. In the meantime, in my home office, in the car, and day trips to visit friends, the Sturdibag is my go-to portable crate.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2014 10:14 AM PDT

Snoozer Pet Messenger Bag, Black
Snoozer Pet Messenger Bag, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great carrier, please note it is not an "incognito" bag, May 5, 2012
The Snoozer Pet Messenger Bag is a great shoulder bag for carrying a small dog on-the-go. Our puppy weighs 4 pounds and she has room to grow, but not as much as I would have expected. For now this is a great carrier for on-the-go trips when we are actually carrying her around. We take a larger crate (SturdiBag Pet Carrier, Large ) for longer car trips and visits that don't involve carrying her around.

This bag has helpful pockets and is very light overall. Being comfortable for the dog and light to carry are the most important features. It is important to note that this bag has mesh panels that are see-through. So this is not an "incognito" bag, though it is inconspicuous. I like the mesh because it is nicely ventilated and I also like the gender-neutral design so that a man would not feel foolish carrying this bag.

Product box says "holds pets up to 12 lbs." I would recommend this bag for a small dog who might grow to 12 pounds, but it's not clear that a 12 pound dog would feel comfortable in this carrier for a long period of time.

Two design notes: 1. I wish it had a dedicated seat belt loop on the back. 2. the bag does stand up, but will tip over if the dog moves around a lot, which can be annoying.

Overall, I definitely recommended the Snoozer Pet Messenger Bag as a convenient, well-made, reasonably priced dog tote.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2012 6:50 AM PDT

Air Swimmers Remote Control Flying Clownfish
Air Swimmers Remote Control Flying Clownfish
Offered by -Mazaa-
Price: $24.70
22 used & new from $18.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, with some frustration and worry about durability, December 26, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
We purchased both the shark and clown fish Air Swimmers for holiday gifts. Today we went to fill them with helium and assemble the toys. We had a mishap at the grocery store which made us feel pretty stupid but I will relate it here in the hopes of helping someone else avoid the problem. These toys are large balloons and when filled with helium they are very bulky and buoyant. We filled the shark and it looked really cool. The printed graphics look good and "Jaws-y" and I can see why little kids would squeal and flee when they see one fly into a room. We tied on a ribbon just as the instructions said, but when we were waiting for the clown fish to get filled, the mylar ribbon loop on the shark balloon BROKE and the balloon flew up to the 25-foot ceiling. There was no way to get it down so looks like we're waiting for it to float down in a few weeks. Bummer. We could definitely tell that the designated ribbon-tying loop broke, rather than the knot in the ribbon coming undone. So that loop is too delicate. I would take the tying down of the balloon really seriously and consider using two ribbons in two different loops. There are 3 loops that can be used for ribbon, but the instructions didn't say anything about using more than one. I can buy a replacement balloon for $6 online which seems pretty reasonable.

Once the balloon is filled, the final assembly requires some thinking, and an investment of 15-45 minutes of time. The assembly was rather awkward but the finished clown fish really does fly! This is a cool gift for a kid age 10+ including tweens, who can be so hard to buy for.

The air swimmer does need a large indoor space to really fly. A room like a school gym would be fun but in that environment I would attach a fishing line to the bottom of the fish to make sure it doesn't get stuck up high on the ceiling.

We will see how long the fun lasts. The whole toy seems quite flimsy with lots of things that could break easily. In the final analysis I do think this is a novel and fun toy and would recommend it for a special event such as a school fair, assembly, or family dinner or reunion. There's nothing like a shark flying across the room to liven up the usual holiday chitchat.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2012 4:54 PM PST

Remote Control Flying Shark
Remote Control Flying Shark
Offered by Great Price Fast Service
Price: $24.67
36 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, with some frustration, worried about durability, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Remote Control Flying Shark (Toy)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16