Profile for Kevin Nicholls > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 426

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kevin Nicholls "jaded, aging hipster" RSS Feed (Milford, MI)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Napoleon Dynamite
Napoleon Dynamite
Price: $29.98
9 used & new from $26.08

4.0 out of 5 stars It’s pretty much my favorite album. It’s like a lion and a tiger mixed… bred for its skills in magic., April 25, 2015
This review is from: Napoleon Dynamite (Vinyl)
This is one of those items where you probably have to be more than a casual fan of Napoleon Dynamite to appreciate it.

Split in to two albums, the first is a compilation of the licensed music from the film, which as a standalone album, doesn't sound quite as cohesive as a typical soundtrack. The real magic (in my humble opinion) is the second album, full of original music from the film and dialogue clips that put it in to context.

Admittedly, if you know someone who is apt to walk around quoting movie lines, you'll want to keep them away when you listen to the second album.

The overall album quality is quite good, without jagged edges or cut remnants, and the gatefold cover is true to the feel of the movie. The 180-gram pressing is nice, though I found myself adjusting the tracking force on my needle to push just a touch harder. An important note for collectors here: the Amazon-direct albums are not blue -- they're black.

Totally worthwhile for the Napoleon Dynamite fan with a turntable.

Callaway Men's Strata Complete Golf Club Set with Bag (12-Piece), Right Hand
Callaway Men's Strata Complete Golf Club Set with Bag (12-Piece), Right Hand
Price: Click here to see our price
8 used & new from $199.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the money., April 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Admittedly, I searched the box and clubs for some indication that Callaway had anything to do with them. Although there was nothing to be found, Callaway does acknowledge making them on their site -- but even there, they kind of hide the Strata clubs away. So, if flashing labels on the course or range are important to you, you might be disappointed.

As for the clubs, I have to keep reminding myself how much they cost. Are they awesome? Well... no. Most are metal shaft, with decent enough grips, and a very natural feel. That's all very good, but I think the same can be said for a lot of clubs in this range (e.g. Wilson and lots of off-brands). You definitely get higher-end quality for the price range, but again... for the price range.

One surprise is the bag. I'd expect to pay nearly $70 on the bag alone.

"Hey, I don't have a grand to drop on clubs!" Neither do I. I get it. But when you look at what these cost, and start to look at getting a nice set of used "real" Callaway clubs, or something from Taylormade, or Ping, the overall value gets less clear. If you want shiny new clubs, and this is what you've got banked, you're not going to go wrong here -- especially as your first set of clubs. Otherwise, I might suggest considering the secondary market, if this is your top choice.

Sony 32GB Microvault USB Flash Drive for Smartphone (USM32SA1/B)
Sony 32GB Microvault USB Flash Drive for Smartphone (USM32SA1/B)
Price: $15.99
16 used & new from $13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Android ROM addict? Add this to your arsenal., April 20, 2015
I've been flashing my Android devices for some time now, and always grumble a bit when they don't have micro SD slots.

Well, I grumble no more. While this isn't the fastest device I've ever used, it definitely doesn't seem slow when I'm using it to flash a ROM. And because it's 32 gigs, I've got all the space I need to keep a few repositories for all of my devices.

Really, the only thing I'd change is the slot on the cap. It's too small for a keyring, so I keep mine on a zip tie. No big deal, but I'd think Sony would have had a more graceful option.

Lenovo Ultra Dock Docking Station (40A20170US)
Lenovo Ultra Dock Docking Station (40A20170US)
Price: $204.99
68 used & new from $194.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just where my W541 wants to sit!, April 20, 2015
I actually grabbed two of these for my new ThinkPad W541. Even with decent purchase plan pricing over at Lenovo, Amazon's price is way better.

As expected, my W541 dropped in perfectly, and the big 170W power supply is exactly what I need to run everything at full potential. The included ports are okay, but if you're running dual monitors, it's a little bit of a pain if they aren't both DisplayPort. I picked up this cheap DisplayPort to DVI adapter to run dual monitors at work, and it was a little tricky getting the display to span in the right order. For whatever reason, Windows 8.1 wasn't doing it on the fly, but a reboot fixed the problem.

Otherwise, the soft-touch eject, low profile, and easy lineup make this a winner.

Boveda 84% RH for Humidor Seasoning, Large 60 gram
Boveda 84% RH for Humidor Seasoning, Large 60 gram
Offered by Boveda Inc.
Price: $4.97
5 used & new from $3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixed my jacked up humidor!, April 20, 2015
I had a terrible time getting my Capri glasstop humidor to settle, even with four DryMistat tubes. After a few days, the humidity would drop in to the danger zone, despite seasoning it with distilled water.

Then I tried distilled water on some microfiber, and wound up with a mold problem. Ugh! After using alcohol to clean it, I had to start all over again, and I had heard about these packets. So, I figured "what the heck" and bought a couple.

I have to say, I was a skeptic for the first week, but by the 8th or 9th day, both of my humidistats were exactly where I wanted them. I left it in for 18 days total, just to be safe, and I haven't needed to worry about humidity since. Once I step up to a larger humidor, I'm not going to give a second thought to picking up more of these (and probably ditching the DryMistat tubes for Boveda maintenance packets).

Scotts Outdoor Cleaner Plus OxiClean, One-Gallon Concentrate
Scotts Outdoor Cleaner Plus OxiClean, One-Gallon Concentrate
Price: $9.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome in a power washer. Lame in a spray bottle., April 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tried this out with a conventional sprayer, and wasn't terribly impressed. I've got a little algae forming on my patio and some decorative stones, and this seemed to bubble a bit, but didn't do much that I couldn't have done without a scrub brush alone.

Then I put some in my power washer. Whoa! Now we're talking! My power washer isn't anything terribly exciting, but this stuff really made it come alive. My patio and stones looked great with minimal effort, and I even knocked out some tough oil stains on the driveway.

I tried a test area on my siding, and that turned out great, too. I didn't realize how much buildup had occurred over the past couple of years since I had the new siding installed. If it hadn't started getting dark out, I would have done the whole house.

If you plan to use this in a spray bottle, I'd skip it, and save yourself ten bucks. But if you have a power washer, it's definitely worth the money for how well it works.

Ortho Weed B Gon Weed Killer, RTU Trigger 1 gal
Ortho Weed B Gon Weed Killer, RTU Trigger 1 gal
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Very, very slow... but it works., April 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I normally get Weed & Feed on my lawn in time to avoid dandelions, and then I grab some Roundup for cracks in my driveway and patio. But, I thought this year, I'd give this a shot.

I left a small section of lawn next to the garage untreated, as my proving grounds. As advertised, it does knock out weeds in grass without killing the grass, but it takes a few days -- not a few hours, as the packaging suggests. Comparatively speaking, Roundup starts working in less than a day, but will absolutely destroy grass.

As a last-ditch alternative to weeding, I guess this is okay. But I think you're better off dropping the Weed & Feed in the spring.

Brinks Home Security Push Pull Rotate Door Locks 23021-119 Stafford Style Interior Locking Door Knob, Satin Nickel
Price: $22.79
3 used & new from $15.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design, easy installation, excellent value!, April 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I can't believe how much I like a doorknob, but this is awesome.

Besides the convenience factor, this is also a wonderful way to help out people who may not have quite the grip or strength to open a typical doorknob. (Examples: elderly people, young children, people with muscular and skeletal disabilities) If anyone in your house has experienced that sort of trouble, this product is an absolute godsend.

Installation was a total snap. In fact, after replacing a broken knob with a "cheapest you have" model from the local hardware store, this was substantially easier to install. Unless your door isn't drilled for a knob, this is a quick three-minute job with a screwdriver.

The quality and feel are really impressive. Outside of the cheap knob I mentioned above, the rest of the knobs in my house are similarly priced upper / middle range brushed metal Kwikset knobs. The difference in quality is like night and day.

I'm really considering buying enough of these to replace every doorknob in the house.

iDevices iGrill Mini
iDevices iGrill Mini
Offered by Amazing Deals Online
Price: $38.22
22 used & new from $32.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the iGrill 2!, April 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As much as I like the iGrill 2, I really love the mini.

The size is so perfect, it's never in the way when I'm cooking, and because it's so tiny, you can actually use the magnet to stick it on a cold area on most grills.

Accuracy is every bit as good as the iGrill 2 and my trusty Weber thermometer, and the Bluetooth range is excellent. Not to mention, the price is very reasonable, all things considered.

McCormick Skillet Sauce Smoky Applewood BBQ Chicken, 7 Ounce (Pack of 6)
McCormick Skillet Sauce Smoky Applewood BBQ Chicken, 7 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Price: $23.49
3 used & new from $23.49

2.0 out of 5 stars BBQ chicken that doesn't taste like BBQ chicken. Come get some!, April 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Maybe my hopes were higher than they should have been, but as someone who routinely has BBQ sauce around the house, this seems like a really expensive alternative.

I cut up the chicken. I cut up the onion. I put it in the skillet... I'm similarly confused by the "OH WOW IT WAS SO EASY!" crowd. Did you not know how to cook chicken in a skillet before? A packet of sauce didn't really change the technique.

Anyway, the sauce had a consistency similar to cheap Hunt's or Kraft BBQ sauce that you'd buy anywhere, with some soy or teriyaki to make it less dense. As it gets hot, the sugar (or in this case, corn syrup) begins to caramelize and attach itself to the meat. The meat, not shockingly, begins to cook to an edible temperature. Again, nothing new or unusual here.

Upon completion, you have chicken in BBQ sauce that's pretty similar to what you'd pick up in the deli at any large supermarket. With onions. Despite being exponentially more expensive than a bottle of BBQ sauce and a bottle of teriyaki, McCormick managed to make the flavor taste really cheap. I guess that's an accomplishment, though not one I'd get excited about.

Admittedly, the other flavors seem a bit less common than what you'd already have around the house. So in the context of the sauce cooking properly, I guess it's a fine product -- but I'd never buy the Smoky Applewood BBQ flavor.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20