Profile for Kevin Nicholls > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 343

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kevin Nicholls "jaded, aging hipster" RSS Feed (Milford, MI)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner (Machine)
Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner (Machine)
Price: $129.94
11 used & new from $116.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A really great system, built like a tank., September 12, 2014
With my dogs getting older (and one of them, sadly more forgetful about whether or not he's outside) I needed a solution to keep the house sanitary. In my book, the "spray and blot" solutions just don't cut it. I want that pee GONE!

My first step: dog diapers. A tremendous help, but accidents can still happen. Enter the Rug Doctor.

I spent a lot of time comparing different spot cleaners, and kept coming back to this model. For the price, you really can't find another with a motorized brush in the wand (though the similarly-priced SpotBot Pet has an interesting motorized mechanism, seeing one in the store revealed its flimsy construction).

I also liked that Rug Doctor didn't have a full line of different spot cleaners. I trust the brand, and felt confident that if they were only selling one, it wasn't going to be junk.

Out of the box, this was totally assembled and ready to go -- a nice touch. The overall build quality seemed quite good, and I really appreciated that there was a "normal" carrying handle as well as the extending roller handle. At the time, I had just cleaned the carpet with a rental, so I didn't get much chance to test it... that is... until my kid spilled cough medicine on the carpet a week later. My time had come...

Setup was truly simple. Fill the water to one line, fill the soap to another. Plug it in, turn it on, you're set. One thing that I think needs to be noted, is how LOUD this is! I've got a 6 HP / 16 Gal. shop vac that may actually be a little quieter. But, the loudness also brought along great performance. The motorized brush and solution knocked that cough syrup right out of my carpet in no time, and the suction was incredible. Within a few minutes, you could barely tell where I had cleaned, because it was nearly dry.

The real surprise for me, was cleaning out the dirty water cup. The water was really gross and brown, despite having cleaned the carpet just a week before. I really wasn't expecting that.

For the sake of convenience, I used the Rug Doctor brand cleaner and thought it left a nice scent behind. Very light, and not too "chemical-y".

So what's keeping it from being five stars?

1) The spray trigger seemed to be really finicky about drawing cleaning solution out. 8 times out of 10, it worked as I expected it to, but it was inconsistent.

2) The sprayer leaves built-up cleaning solution on the wand, which drips all over the place when you reposition it.

3) The cleaning solution gets cold quickly. A warming element would be nice there.

Other than that, it's a solid machine, if you can get over the noise.

Mind Reader" Cube" Mini Coffee Station Refrigerator, Black
Mind Reader" Cube" Mini Coffee Station Refrigerator, Black
Price: $80.10
3 used & new from $80.10

2.0 out of 5 stars I was really excited, until I started using it..., September 8, 2014
I was looking for something small enough to keep my coffee cream cool in my office, and didn't want to get a dorm room style refrigerator cube, so this seemed perfect.

For the first couple of days, it was pretty awesome. But by the third day, I noticed condensation forming between the two plastic panes in the door. A couple of days later, there was a small puddle on my desk -- though, I noticed that the unit wasn't totally level.

I leveled it. And about a week later, I found that my coffee cream container was frozen stuck to the bottom.

Giving it one more shot, I let it thaw and dry out, plugged it back in, made sure it was level, and tried again. By the end of the week, the bottom was ice again. There wasn't much I could do besides return it, or take my chances with a replacement, so I opted for a refund.

Wilton Tool  10010  All-Terrain Vise Hitch2Bench
Wilton Tool 10010 All-Terrain Vise Hitch2Bench
Price: $199.00
27 used & new from $189.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite vise, September 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before I even opened the box, I could tell that Wilton meant business when they made this vise, because it weighed a ton!

The look and feel of the vice has quality written all over it, and it's replaced the old vise on my workbench in the garage. One thing to note, though: you're going to need about an extra foot for the hitch mount, versus a traditional vise.

Using the vise is great, as the motion is buttery smooth, and holds much better than any vise I've had before. Though, moving it from bench to hitch and back is a little bit of a chore.

As vises go, it's on the expensive side, but if you have more than a casual need for a vise, it's worth the extra money. And, if you want the versatility of taking your vise from bench to hitch (which is awesome!), the choice is pretty easy.

Chamberlain GPS1000 Air, Power and Lighting Garage Power Station, Black
Chamberlain GPS1000 Air, Power and Lighting Garage Power Station, Black
Price: $84.93
22 used & new from $61.46

2.0 out of 5 stars It could be so much better., September 6, 2014
I was looking for an easy to use air compressor that my wife and daughter could use (neither of them are very keen on using my 15 gallon compressor, dealing with changing out the air chuck, and so on) and having just replaced my Chamberlain / LiftMaster garage door opener after 17 years of service, I was pretty comfortable with the brand.

Opening the box, I was mildly concerned. I expected there to be a mounting bracket of some sort, but there wasn't. I thought the internals would come out, to make mounting easy... but they don't. So in order to mount this, you need to drill two 5/16" pilot holes that are 16" apart on your garage joist(s), hold the 20-pound unit to the pilots you drilled, and using a 6" extension on your socket wrench, get two 2 1/2" lag screws wrenched in. Alternatively, you can remove the plastic housing (which will save you absolutely nothing in terms of weight, and makes the uit harder to hold up) and use a 4" extension.

If you have some tie-down straps, it can be an easy one-person job. If not, you're going to need a helper who is quick with a socket wrench, or who can hold 20 pounds over their head for a while. Of course, even then, that doesn't mean your job is going to be easy. The lag screws Chamberlain includes are total junk. In fact, I ended up shearing one of them in half, with just a plain 3/8" socket wrench.

I ended up buying higher quality lag screws at the local hardware store (if you want to heed my advice and do the same, you need two 1/4" x 2 1/2" lag screws. This time around, I used an air ratchet. It was faster, but still awkward to maneuver.

Because the base unit uses flexible spacers when you mount it, there's some unnerving flexing when you pull on the hose. I noticed in promotional videos, Chamberlain uses a metal enclosure for mounting their demo unit. Now I know why.

Since the two halogen bulbs aren't included, I opted to max out the recommended wattage, and went with 50W bulbs. To be honest, I'm not really impressed with the light that you get from them. By design, they won't turn on unless the hose is pulled (and they'll turn off immediately, if the hose isn't down a click and retracts) and won't turn off until the hose is fully retracted. That's fine when it's dark, but you might find in the daytime, that the lights have been left on, because the hose wasn't in all the way.

While I like the all-in-one design, another major disappointment is the pressure gauge. Calling it "not very accurate" is putting it mildly. If you put the slightest bit of pressure on the hose near the chuck, you'll make the gauge bounce up. If you've got a pressure gauge, don't throw it away.

All things considered, I think Chamberlain has some great ideas in this product, but it's executed like Harbor Freight junk. If it were priced accordingly, I'd be totally fine with it. Speaking of pricing... I've seen this drop nearly $40 over the past three months. Apparently, they're not moving as well as hoped. That's a pretty solid indicator, in my book.

Fluval C3 Power Filter
Fluval C3 Power Filter
Price: $44.99
11 used & new from $42.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding design, and my fish love it., September 5, 2014
This review is from: Fluval C3 Power Filter (Misc.)
I had an AquaClear 20 die out on me after about 9 months, and decided I was more interested in replacing it for something more powerful, than dealing with trying to find my old receipt and then having to cross-ship.

Initially, I thought about the Fluval C2, since I'm only running a 10 gallon tank, but looking at the specs, it seemed like I could go with the C3 on the lowest setting in my 10, and keep the filter around when the time comes to move up to something larger.

One of the things I noticed immediately was the overall quality of the Fluval filter. The edges were smooth. Everything clicked as it should, on the first try. You could tell that this was something well-engineered, and built with care.

Setup was a total breeze, until it came time to hang it. I ended up having to cut about a 1/4" from the hood to accommodate the C3's width, but that was the hardest part of the whole installation.

Once it was plugged in, I was really impressed by how quiet it was, after the water had siphoned up. Really quite remarkable. In a week's time, it did sputter a little, but that was because my water level was too low. Adding the water made the sputter go away almost immediately.

I was so impressed with this filter, I doubt I'll look elsewhere in the future. It had everything my AquaClear had, but also much more. I'd totally recommend this to anyone with a 10 - 50 gallon tank.

New Balance Women's W890 Neutral Light Running Shoe,Blue/Pink,10 B US
New Balance Women's W890 Neutral Light Running Shoe,Blue/Pink,10 B US
Price: $99.99
2 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, if a bit narrow., August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As it turned out, I had two family members who were in the market for higher-end running shoes, and was able to get different perspectives.

The W890 seems to run a bit narrower than most shoes. For a person who normally wears a 10 D, they were unacceptably tight, and for the 10 B wearer, they were "a little snug, but okay".

Incidentally, the 10 B wearer also suffers from diabetic neuropathy in her feet, and these shoes had been recommended by a doctor. While they weren't life-changing, she was able to wear them for hours, where most shoes begin hurting in under an hour. And, the support in the shoes improved her overall stability when walking.

The consensus was that these shoes are a definite buy, but if you're on the cusp of wearing a wider shoe, go straight to your size in C/D.

Vornado 133 Small Room Air Circulator
Vornado 133 Small Room Air Circulator
Offered by toolboxsupply
Price: $30.99
7 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect desk fan!, August 27, 2014
My office gets unusually hot at times, and I wanted something kind of small for my desk.

I picked this up, and it's been wonderful. It makes a huge difference on the low setting, and moves tons of air on high (though it's quite loud on high in a small office).

It wasn't the cheapest fan I could find, but since Vornado is an established company and they're offering a 5-year warranty, I thought the price was very reasonable when I ordered. When it arrived, the build quality made it totally worth the price. The construction is just great.

I'm not 100% sure I'd get this over a bigger model in rooms that aren't very small, but if that's where you plan on using it, you'd have a hard time finding a better fan for such a good price.

Sony BDPS5200 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi
Sony BDPS5200 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi
Price: Click here to see our price
52 used & new from $60.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the flimsy construction turn you off of this great player., August 27, 2014
Deceptively cheap-looking, the 5200 packs a ton of streaming options, with the picture quality and performance you'd expect from a Sony product.

I bought this to replace an older model (and if you're in the same boat, the interface hasn't changed a bit since 2008), largely because I needed the audio-out jacks that seem to be harder to find on newer players (including this one).

A couple of other minor disappointments:
1) It looks and feels very cheap, and won't blend well with other components.
2) Like older models, if you give the player an internet connection, it'll go out and fetch the name and cover art of the disc... but only after the disc has been played, despite spinning the disc to read it.

All things considered, though, if you're going to use the streaming services available, this player is an excellent value. It does a lot of what a Roku could do, and for a few bucks more, you get a Blu-Ray player. Not too shabby.

Bottle Buddy 3-Tier with Floor Protection Kit
Bottle Buddy 3-Tier with Floor Protection Kit
Price: $28.98
7 used & new from $27.71

5.0 out of 5 stars How have I lived without this?, August 27, 2014
This is one of those items where the moment it's set up, you feel like you should have bought one years ago.

Incredibly easy to build, impressively sturdy, and looks so much better than having a bunch of bottles on the floor. Even the price is reasonable.

If you've got a water cooler and more than one bottle, you'll adore the Bottle Buddy.

SnuggEase Washable Dog Diaper - VALUE PACK - Large
SnuggEase Washable Dog Diaper - VALUE PACK - Large
Offered by Always Brilliant
Price: $36.84
9 used & new from $28.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully, your dog has short hair., August 18, 2014
I have a Shepherd / Shiba Inu mix, and he's about 45 pounds. Very recently in his old age, it's become as though he forgets he's not outside when he wakes up. He's an otherwise happy and healthy dog, so this diaper has helped improve our living situation immensely.

Following the advice of others, I found that a typical maxi-pad fits perfectly atop the absorbent material in the diaper, and you can get them so cheap, it seems a waste of money to get the more expensive pet-specific pads.

The only drawback, is the tail hole. I'm sure it's fine for short-haired dogs, but my dog has a full, fluffy tail. It would be a pain in the neck to get it through the hole if he didn't hate having his tail touched, but in my case, getting the diaper back on him is an ordeal, to say the least. Unfortunately, going a size up would be too big around his hindquarters. Since the tail hole has a drawstring, I'm really disappointed that they didn't make the hole bigger to easily accommodate more dogs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20