Profile for branewurms > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

branewurms RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Shoyeido Selects Ranka ''Orchid'' Incense - 450 sticks
Shoyeido Selects Ranka ''Orchid'' Incense - 450 sticks
Offered by sakura-blossom-jp
Price: $11.95
4 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Scent is NOT faint, as some people are saying..., February 1, 2015
Those complaining that the scent is very faint - either the seller you bought this from stored the incense badly and it faded, or you have killed your noses with all that awful glade plug-ins in every room nonsense - you use scented fabric softener and dryer sheets in all your clothes, scented lotions slathered everywhere and febreeze over every surface, and you expect to be able to smell normally after all that? Awful, cheap, overpowering synthetic fragrances are bad enough on their own, but why does everyone want to put them in EVERYTHING? Once you've done that, it becomes difficult to smell anything that isn't a violent olfactory punch in the face.

I have some barely there, very subtle incenses, and Ranka is NOT one of them. Ranka is fairly potent - kind of mid-range in potency relative to other Japanese incenses, to my nose. If you're scenting a very large room you might need two sticks, but that's just true of most Japanese incense, unless you're using the thick-cut temple incenses. (Shoyeido does make some of these, too. Three of them are marketed in the US as their "Zen" line.)

As for the scent itself, it's very unusual, but pleasing. There's an earthy benzoin-and-patchouli type base, almost ambery, with a lot of cinnamon spicing it up, and a purple, almost plummy smelling floral in the middle. Maybe jasmine, orris, and possibly something fruity, like Japanese plum? Really, the overall earthy/floral/spice kind of scent profile here is more typical of an Indian style incense, only with the lighter, delicate character of the Japanese format. If you like floral and spice combos, or if you like Indian incenses but dislike the smokiness/intensity of the scent, this might be for you.

This is a really good buy for the quantity and quality. Just a nice, low-end, every day kind of incense. (And by the way, Shoyeido's own US website, as well as many other retailers, has both box sizes of this incense for much cheaper than you often find on Amazon. Don't get price-gouged!)

Carnelian Multi-Colored Gemstone 4mm Round Beads / 14.5 Inch Strand
Carnelian Multi-Colored Gemstone 4mm Round Beads / 14.5 Inch Strand
Offered by BRC CREATIVE CORP.
Price: $8.99
2 used & new from $5.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but not like the picture, January 21, 2014
These are pretty but not at all like the picture. They're bright orangey red, with creamy white swirls, and fairly consistent in tone. Honestly I think they're nicer than the picture, but a product pic should be accurate within reason.

Red Orange Aventurine 6mm Round Beads / 15.5 Inch Strand
Red Orange Aventurine 6mm Round Beads / 15.5 Inch Strand
Offered by Beadaholique
Price: $2.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Wow, no., January 21, 2014
I read the other reviews and saw "almost peach" and I thought, well, that's fine by me, I've been wanting a peach color aventurine! But while it IS peachy, it's a very dull peachy, a sick fleshy sort of color. Not at all like the picture, no.

Goddess Women's Sport Bra,Black,36G
Goddess Women's Sport Bra,Black,36G
Price: $48.00
7 used & new from $47.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite, September 8, 2012
This review is from: Goddess Sport Bra (Apparel)
Bought this in a 36G. I'm usually either a 34 or a 36 band size depending on brand and such, and since everyone seems to be saying this bra runs small, I started with 36. It sort of fit, which is more than I can say for almost every bra I've ever tried on. (Seriously, I don't think my body looks particularly strange?! And yet everything, especially bras, fits me so oddly, as though I were some kind of alien?!) Unfortunately, "sort of fits" wasn't close enough.

The cups gave me a kind of saggy look, which would make me think I needed to go down a cup size - except for the fact that the armholes were already way too small and cutting into me all the way around, making my fat bulge out weirdly. Through all the bizarrely fitting bras I've tried on, I've never actually had that happen before... B/c I don't HAVE much fat under or on my arms. My shoulders and arms are the leanest part of my body. Yet even in the few minutes I had it on to check the fit, it was starting to chafe. Considering these bras are specifically aimed at the plus size market, I can't imagine what they were thinking. Seems to me anyone actually carrying significant amounts of fat in the shoulder and arm area would lose circulation to their fingertips. Also, I had to loosen the shoulder straps quite a lot, despite being 5'3", so that might be a problem for tall women (although I might have just had to loosen them because of the whole strangling-my-arms thing, not sure).

The 36 band was quite snug, snugger than I'd want if I was just sitting around in it, but maybe about right for vigorous physical activity? I'm not really sure without actually trying it during a workout, which I don't intend to do since I'm sending it back (and b/c I like having skin under my arms). The G cup seemed about the size I'd expect, maybe even a smidge on the larger size. The seams across the breasts were visible through clothing, and there was this weird little side point in the cups that might make you look like you had some outward-facing nipple action going on.

On the upside, it did seem supportive enough for low to medium impact physical activity, although I'm not really sure it'd be good enough if you wanted to jump around in it.

Wicked City: A Zephyr Hollis Novel (Zephyr Hollis Novels)
Wicked City: A Zephyr Hollis Novel (Zephyr Hollis Novels)
by Alaya Dawn Johnson
24 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Even more fun than the first!, April 12, 2012
This is a review of an ARC received for free from the author in a giveaway.

I liked this one even more than the first! This series is just so compulsively readable and fun.

I appreciate that while romance is an important part of the story, Zephyr's feelings for Amir don't eclipse everything else - her other relationships and her principles and the things she's fighting for are all important to her and to the plot as well. (Although I can't help wishing to see a little bit more of Amir. I mean, he's hot. Er, no pun intended.) I'm also impressed by the fact that even though this series so far has a lot less actual physical violence than the average paranormal mystery, it still feels driven and fast-paced, and the stakes always seem high. I'm a big fan of the "things blow up" school of fun, and I'm impressed when something manages to capture that same particular sense of fun without actually blowing all that much stuff up. (Metaphorically speaking.)

Really looking forward to the [EPIC SPOILERS] promised to come in the next installment, too!

Ghirardelli Baking Chips, Classic White, 11-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6)
Ghirardelli Baking Chips, Classic White, 11-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6)
Offered by Jeremiah's Book collection
Price: $31.59
12 used & new from $23.96

1.0 out of 5 stars GIVE US BACK OUR WHITE CHOCOLATE, GHIRARDELLI!, December 24, 2011
Ghirardelli had been my standby for Xmas candy-making since it was the ONLY brand left I could find in my town that made ACTUAL white chocolate chips, but they, like everyone else, seem to think that no one will notice the difference if they take out the actual, y'know, chocolate part.

Well, guess what, WE NOTICED! It is absolutely ridiculous that you're pretending to be a step up in luxury from the cheap-o Hersheys and Nestles of the world, and yet you're putting out this sub-standard crap - it's the same thing the rest of them are selling! It is also absolutely ridiculous that there are NO REAL WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS ANYWHERE in the city of Greenville, NC!

Please give us back the white chocolate! This imitation crap doesn't taste as good and is much harder to melt properly! We are willing to pay more if you will JUST GIVE US THE OPTION!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2012 11:05 AM PDT

Nestle Tollhouse Premier White Morsels 12 ounce (Pack Of 12)
Nestle Tollhouse Premier White Morsels 12 ounce (Pack Of 12)
Offered by Lil-BigShots
Price: $51.00
4 used & new from $51.00

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL! Wouldn't even melt!, December 24, 2011
Ghirardelli had been my standby for Xmas candy-making since it was the ONLY brand left I could find in my town that made ACTUAL white chocolate chips, but this year they, like everyone else, seem to think that no one will notice the difference if they take out the actual, y'know, chocolate part. (Believe me, manufacturers, we can tell the difference.)

So this year, since I couldn't find any white chocolate chips, I just went with the Nestle's, since if Ghirardelli is making the same inferior product I might as well go with the cheaper option, right? Well, I should have just given up on using white coatings on anything, because this stuff is utter crap. I actually don't think it tastes all that bad - it tastes like the coating on a Zero bar, basically. But if I'm making homemade candy, it's not supposed to taste like a cheap, commercial candy bar - it's supposed to taste like good quality homemade candy! More important than this though is the fact that they didn't even melt, and I couldn't use them. I followed the directions precisely, but I kept stirring and heating in tiny increments and they just. wouldn't. melt!, and then finally, I guess they seized or something, because I was left with an unusable lump of half-melted, weirdly-hardened white chips. I never, ever had this problem with actual white chocolate before, and I've been using it for years and years!

This was a complete waste of my money, ugh. GIVE US BACK OUR ACTUAL WHITE CHOCOLATE, CANDY MANUFACTURERS! We DO know the difference! We will pay a little more for the real thing if you would just give us the option of doing so!

Tinkyada Brown Rice Spaghetti with Rice Bran, 16-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)
Tinkyada Brown Rice Spaghetti with Rice Bran, 16-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)
Offered by TheNewMall
Price: $49.32
17 used & new from $45.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent substitute, October 29, 2011
This is a great substitute for regular pasta - doesn't go gummy and taste funny like some brands (I'm lookin' at you, DeBoles). My significant other and a friend who often eats with us can barely tell the difference in the taste.

It's not so great for leftovers, though - unlike regular pasta it doesn't save very well (although it does save better than most gluten free brands I've tried). Save your leftover sauce separately and boil a new batch of pasta to serve it over.

DeBoles Gluten Free Spaghetti Rice Pasta, 8 Ounce (Pack of 12)
DeBoles Gluten Free Spaghetti Rice Pasta, 8 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Price: $32.28
10 used & new from $32.28

2.0 out of 5 stars Yuck..., October 29, 2011
This pasta is NOT good - not for Italian dishes, at least, although it might be okay for Asian noodle dishes. Besides the taste, it also goes gummy and sticky really easily. Try Tinkyada's brown rice pastas instead - Tinkyada tastes almost the same as regular pasta, and cooks up firm. You don't have to settle for strange tasting pasta just because you can't eat gluten!

\Kellogg's Rice Krispies Gluten Free Cereal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, 12-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4) (Discontinued By Manufacturer)
3 used & new from $89.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The brown rice is just fine, but overpriced, October 23, 2011
I don't have a problem with the brown rice (I prefer it, even) and am a little mystified to why so many people seem to hate it, but I do agree that they should have replaced the malt flavoring with something else, because this variety is a little too plain-tasting. Not at all bad though, and it's nice to be able to eat Rice Krispies again - although I might add that it's ridiculous that it took so long for a cereal made of *RICE* to go gluten free.

However, it's absolutely absurd that they cost more than regular Rice Krispies. General Mills just did a reformulation of Chex rather than make a whole new gluten free variety, but I guess Kelloggs wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to further gouge a group of people who are already paying hand over fist for gluten free foods. It's just RICE, there is nothing special about this cereal that should make it cost any more than the regular variety.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2012 8:15 AM PST