Profile for Laura > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 212

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laura RSS Feed (Austin)

Price: $537.69
5 used & new from $537.69

5.0 out of 5 stars I♡am♡in♡love, January 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am so very happy with this monitor but I did have problems getting it to work initially, and yes, I feel like an idiot. For some reason, just connecting the DP cable and selecting DP input on the monitor didn't work, it would not recognize the source. It does help to read the directions, didn't think I needed to since I've had two previous external monitors which connected with no problems. I could have saved myself some time if I had just read the following:

To connect your monitor to the computer:
1 Turn off your computer and disconnect the power cable. (I never had to do that before)
2 Connect the mDP-DP/HDMI/USB cable from your monitor to
the computer.

Once I did this and turned my computer back on the display came right up. But then I couldn't get the sound to work. I looked at the device setting under sound and it was defaulted to the NVIDIA HD Audio in my computer which obviously wasn't working. I noticed a selection for speakers - Sound Blaster recon3DI (of course yours will have a different name). I had no idea what this was but checked it as the default just for the heck of it and sure enough it worked. I thought I would mention these problems I had in case anyone else encounters them.

I have a 2yr old Alienware 14" with Win7pro, i7 processor, 16gbRAM, GeForce GT650M dedicated graphics which supports the needed 3840x2160 digital resolution. I also have the display port which I'm so glad of since I can get the full 60Hz.

As expected, the display is amazing, crystal clear and so easy on the eyes. Even my old 1200x1600 digital blasphemy wallpapers have stunning clarity in stretch mode. The text is super sharp at 100% but of course is very tiny so I increased the display setting to 150% which is perfect for me. I've never had a widescreen and didn't realize how much I would value the extra space across. I can view two large screens next to each other and see the full content of both.

I love the design of the stand. It not only swivels easily with barely a nudge but it moves up and down very smoothly. The tilt is a bit more stiff but not too bad. No hardware needed to put it together, just snaps in place.

There is an excellent 51 page manual on the CD in .pdf format which covers every detail, except my sound problem it seems. I haven't tried connecting my tablet yet....will update.

Nutiva Coconut Oil, Refined, 15 Ounce
Nutiva Coconut Oil, Refined, 15 Ounce

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those who don't like the taste and smell of coconut in their food, January 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using coconut oil for years for cooking, baking, and as a moisturizer. I love the smell and taste of the extra virgin so I use it for almost everything, even frying eggs, which at first I thought was weird but got used to very quickly. I don't like it in some baked items, like cookies for instance, so I split 50-50 with butter.

That's great for me, but there are two people in my family who do not like the taste and/or odor of coconut in most of their food so it's always a problem when I cook for those people. I was very happy to discover this refined version in the Nutiva brand, and it is fantastic. There is no odor or taste and it is exactly the same to cook/bake with. My problem easily solved.

Comparison between the refined and virgin:

..................................Refined.................................Virgin
Smoke Point....................400◦F..................................350◦F
Melting Point....................76◦F...................................76◦F
Coloration.....................Off White...............................White
Processing Temp...............>220◦F..............................<170◦F

Processing Method:
The refined is steam refined from dried coconut meat (copra) but no chemicals are used in this process in the Nutiva brand.
The virgin is cold pressed from fresh coconut meat.

Streamlight 44941 Siege AA Lantern
Streamlight 44941 Siege AA Lantern
Offered by HVACR Tools
Price: $34.89
19 used & new from $27.27

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of light in a small package, January 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This lantern is much smaller than what you would think looking at the stock photo, which is actually one of the things I love about it. I took a picture of it next to a coffee mug so you can get a better idea of the size. You could hang this anywhere, including right on your pants/jeans with the handy retractable clip hook on the bottom. This is a perfect storable size for the car, a desk drawer, night table, etc.

The light output on the highest white setting is amazing for three double A's. The whole lantern has a nice rubber finish and a sturdy feel. I like that the handle at the top doesn't fall down when letting go so you don't have to fumble when you want to pick it up and move it. The button in the front that controls everything is easy to press but is also recessed to prevent accidental turn-ons. Batteries are very easy to replace, unlike others that I have experience with that were a pain to deal with.

There is not one thing so far that I don't like about this lantern.

Artaste 59069 Hand-Hammered Finish Chef's Knife Set, 6.5-Inch and 8-Inch
Artaste 59069 Hand-Hammered Finish Chef's Knife Set, 6.5-Inch and 8-Inch
Offered by New Star Foodservice Inc
Price: $45.95
5 used & new from $45.95

4.0 out of 5 stars They work for me, December 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like these knives and, unlike others, mine did not have any rust and had definitely been sharpened. They are so sharp that the first time I used them I got nicked by the tip, which is unusual for that to happen to me. The smaller knife is more comfortable for my hand; I don't think I will use the larger one very much, it is man-sized.

I'm not a chef's knife expert and don't own any of the "must-have" knives that people talk about, so my expectations are probably lower than many who ordered these. I mostly cut up vegetables such as onions, radishes, celery, garlic, and cabbage and for me the knife does the job more than adequately. I tried a grapefruit this evening and it sliced all the way through easily. These nicer than anything I've used in the past.

I love the look of them, very sophisticated, especially the handle. I did not encounter any ragged places. I also like the weight and the way the handle feels in my hand. Overall I would highly recommend these to basic cooks like me who haven't entered the realm of fancy chefery.

A note on the case. There is a plastic film over the front that peels off to reveal a clear, shiny surface to better reveal the beauty of these knives.

SteelSeries Siberia RAW Prism Gaming Headset
SteelSeries Siberia RAW Prism Gaming Headset
Price: $44.39
53 used & new from $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, December 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
- These are extremely comfortable on the head, remain so even after multiple hour gaming sessions, and don't get too hot
- Sound is crisp and clear in game with nice full sound in multiple gaming environments
- Sound is acceptable when listening to music
.. There are nice highs but they could be a bit more clear
.. The lows are there but not as full as some other (although more expensive) headphones
- The microphone works well
.. Voice is clear when using the mic
.. There is a bit of a "big room" sound when using the mic but no background noise
- Color feature is easy to use and adjust when the software is installed.
.. Software must be downloaded from their site and does not come on a disk
- Mute button works with no issues

Overall I would say these headphones are great for the price point. I have tried others in this price range that were not nearly as good. I would recommend these to someone looking for a good comfortable pair of gaming headphones. If you are intending to use them mostly for listening to music there are better options out there, but you can expect to pay more.

BLACK+DECKER  BDH2400FH Lithium Stick Vacuum with ORA Technology, 24-volt
BLACK+DECKER BDH2400FH Lithium Stick Vacuum with ORA Technology, 24-volt
Price: $239.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it but it has limited capabilities, December 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This vacuum is very versatile, gets into hard-to-reach places, is easy to maneuver, easy to charge, fairly easy to empty, and is a great concept overall but there are problems which may take away from the good features, depending on the needs of the user.

First, this lasts only about 30-45 minutes with each charge (hardwood floors) so you can't do much vacuuming at a time. It would have been better to offer a unit with a retractable cord to have more time when needed. Of course this would have made the machine larger and more bulky but I would prefer having the choice of using either power or battery.

This unit is lightweight and elegant but yet has enough power to adequately clean any area (while the charge lasts that is). However, the head, even though small, does get heavy on your hand/wrist after only about 15 minutes and therefore may pose a problem for anyone with wrist or hand problems.

Overall, I think this is a good machine even with its limitations. It's slender enough to store in a closet or pantry to keep handy for quick cleanups (except note that it does not stand alone and needs to lean up against something).

A&D Medical Deluxe Connected Blood Pressure Monitor UA-651BLE, White
A&D Medical Deluxe Connected Blood Pressure Monitor UA-651BLE, White
Price: $59.99
3 used & new from $59.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Good BP Monitor, easy to use, December 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the best performing and easiest to use BP monitor I have tried. After installing the batteries you simply plug the cable into the base, slide the cuff on your arm and press the start button. In about 22 seconds you have your readings. We had the family over one evening and we all tried out the monitor and everyone was impressed.

I downloaded the A&D Connect app and successfully connected through bluetooth but then it kept asking me to connect. I will have to see if there are any updates available to fix this problem. There is the ability to enter your weight and miles run and/or steps. It keeps track of your readings but it only does this through the app, not the device. I would prefer to be able to access a history of readings on the device, but I guess it's not a big deal to get my phone out if I want to see the history. I will update this review if/when I am able to work with the app.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Kensington Wired iPad Keyboard with Lightning Connector (K72447WW)
Kensington Wired iPad Keyboard with Lightning Connector (K72447WW)
Price: $54.99
2 used & new from $51.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, just large enough for accurate typing, December 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm very pleased with this keyboard. I have used it with our iPad 4, Mini, and iPhone 6. You just plug it in and it immediately works. The wire is 26", just long enough to be able to have the keyboard on your lap with your device on the edge of the coffee table if it is pulled close to your legs; I would have preferred another couple of inches to give more leeway.

When typing long notes or messages I prefer it butted right up against the iPad set flat on the table; it's just like typing on my computer keyboard. The touch is not quite as sensitive so I can't type as fast as on my regular keyboard, but it is more than adequate and much preferable to the touch screen typing. I usually wait to answer most e-mail until I can use my computer as many require lengthy replies, but with this keyboard I will now be able to use my other devices more for e-mail.

It is small and light enough to travel with, but of course it is an extra "thing" to have to worry about.

Vornado Evap40 4-Gallon Evaporative Humidifier
Vornado Evap40 4-Gallon Evaporative Humidifier
Price: $129.99
2 used & new from $101.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Performs as advertised, is easy to use, but may be a problem for light sleepers as it gurgles and pops, November 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, this was very easy to assemble, set up, and fill the two 2-gallon tanks. One tank weighs about 17lbs when filled so keep this in mind for anyone who wouldn't be able to handle carrying the tank back and forth from the sink. The unit itself is very light without the tanks.

This thing is huge...it takes up all of the space on a 14"x19" snack tray. Because of the 4 gallon large capacity water tanks and filters the size is probably a given. It surprised me because in the past I have only used the ultrasonic and hot vapor type humidifiers. It might be a good trade off for the several days (on low) you get without having to refill the tanks, and also being able to use plain tap water because of the filters. I live in Texas and just recently started running the heat so at first had this on low in my fairly large bedroom and the tanks lasted 5 days. Then it got really dry so I used it on medium and got 2-3 days. It's pretty powerful so I imagine there wouldn't be a need to use the high setting unless you are trying to humidify the claimed "up to" coverage of 1,000 sq. ft.

The reason I gave this only three stars -- there is a problem for me, and probably would be for any light sleeper. Even though the ongoing sound of the unit running is gentle and soothing, every 15-20 minutes it "bubbles" or "gurgles" as water is fed in from the tanks. This bubbling doesn't always wake me up, just enough times to be considered a small problem. The bigger problem for me is that once I put it on the medium setting it not only gurgles/bubbles but occasionally produces 5-6 pops or taps - sounds like a woodpecker, or if you were to lightly tap on a wood surface. It seems to happen randomly unlike the bubbling sound. This DOES wake me up every time it happens because it is a sharp, unexpected noise. This means I can only use it on low. Hopefully I will eventually get used to the bubbling/gurgling sounds.

Maintenance: The manual is very helpful and gives detailed instructions on every aspect of use and care. This unit requires two wick filters which are available here on Amazon at a discount. They advise replacing them every 4-8 weeks, or when they become hard and no longer absorb water effectively. Cleaning the tanks (vinegar and water) and disinfecting the base (bleach and water) is to be performed several times throughout the season of use, or when algae and/or mineral deposits begin to form. They recommend running the humidifier continuously if filled; even being off for eight hours without draining the tanks and drying the filters can cause algae and bacteria to form.

Deep Steep Tangerine Melon Body Butter 6 oz
Deep Steep Tangerine Melon Body Butter 6 oz
Offered by Nutricity
Price: $9.98
28 used & new from $6.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Thick cream and delicious scent, November 20, 2014
I wanted something a little heavier for the winter months than what I normally use since dry skin becomes more of a problem at that time, and I also wanted something with decent ingredients. This body butter is amazing. The scent is wonderful, very sweet and fresh, it smells good enough to eat. Even though the cream is thick, it spreads over your skin smoothly and does not feel greasy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20