ARRAY(0x94ed89a8)

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

niko RSS Feed

ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder
ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder
Offered by JAPAN ONLINE/365 days worldwide Shipping
Price: $233.20
13 used & new from $177.60

5.0 out of 5 stars ContourROAM: Simple, HD Helmet Camera Video, October 19, 2011
Background: I had been researching and investigating helmet cameras for the better part of the last 12-16 months. The primary use I have for helmet cameras is helmet-mounted and pole-mounted video recording for my snowboarding (mis)adventures. When looking at different options I had several criteria that were most important to me: video quality, ease of use, built quality and durability, and ergonomics for helmet mounting. By the end of summer 2011 - I had narrowed my search down to the GoPro Hero HD and the ContourROAM. While the GoPro sported more shooting modes, more robust waterproof/impact protection, and more mounting options, the ROAM was much simpler to use in the field, was significantly more ergonomic when mounted to a helmet, and sported the same 170° field of view as the GoPro. Eventually I settled on the ROAM because, as I figured, the possibility of losing a camera in the backcountry was a significant purchasing factor for me.

The ROAM does everything as advertised. The video quality is great, the fisheye effect is exactly what I was looking for, and it mounted perfectly to my Red Mutiny II helmet. After a weekend of ATVing and camping, all of my videos look great and I am very excited to take it out into the snow. For anyone looking for a great, simple helmet/adventure camera, I would absolutely recommend the ROAM. The only concern I had after the weekend of use was that the beeping sound seemed to fluctuate tones over the weekend (I'm not sure if this is due to the -10°C temperatures, low battery, or what).

Overall, the entire Contour experience is simple and pain-free. Setting the camera up, using it in the field, uploading the video, and, finally, viewing the footage was a pleasing and easy experience. For those looking for a cavalcade of shooting modes, GPS, iOS/Android Bluetooth linking, or other premium features, the ROAM may not be for you... however, if you want an easy-to-use, well-designed helmet camera, the ContourROAM should do the trick for you.

Note: I will update this review once I get to use the ROAM in snowy conditions.