Profile for Michael Killion > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 65

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Killion RSS Feed (Indianapolis, IN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
New Balance® Bubble Lace
New Balance® Bubble Lace
Price: $2.00 - $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I use them to replace my drawstrings in my shorts. LOVE THEM! The best., July 19, 2014
This review is from: New Balance® Bubble Lace
My son and I went into a local New Balance store to get him a pair of new shoes. I saw these at the check out counter. It's one of the brilliant, million-dollar ideas (maybe not that much) that is so simple to improve on something that we thought was just fine for the last 2,000 years. I didn't get them for my shoes since I don't have a problem with my shoes becoming loose or untied. BUT - I did purchase a pair to replace the shoe strings in my running shorts to see if these new balance shoelaces would be an improvement on my drawstring. They were immediately!! To tighten my shorts quicker, I also use one of those string "toggle" things.....plastic ball that you slip the shoelaces or drawstrings thru. I don't know what the actual name of them. I purchased a lot of them at a local medical clothing supply store. You depressed on the plastic button to pull tight (or loosen). The "nubs" on the new balance shoelaces do a much better job at keeping the toggle "locked" into place. No more adjusting and re-adjusting my swim trunks or running shorts. AND thank you new balance for going corporate crazy and charging a ridiculous price either. I got mine at a new balance store for about $3.50 for a pair (plus sales tax). After a few months, the laces are doing fine. I was concerned with some long term diminishing of the nubs....maybe after months of stretching, tightening, loosening, etc., I was worried that the nubs would start to disappear and these new balance shoelaces would start looking like any other shoelaces. So far, no "nub" loss and they still lock in place tight and do not move with my plastic string toggles. For something that is better and superior to the drawstrings that you already have in your shorts (or pants), I highly recommend you give a pair of these new balance sure-lace shoelaces a try.

New Balance Sure-Lace Shoelaces 2 Pair Pack
New Balance Sure-Lace Shoelaces 2 Pair Pack
Price: $7.49 - $11.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best string to use for drawstrings in shorts !! Love them., July 19, 2014

Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool Heroes Medix The Doc-Bot Figure
Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool Heroes Medix The Doc-Bot Figure
2 used & new from $199.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy - very hard to find Ambulance Doc Rescue Bot, January 12, 2014
This hard-to-find rescue bot completes my son's collection. I paid about $40 on Amazon, but I remember this one when it was being sold at Target for $15. You may be patient and find it much cheaper thru Amazon and other auction-related websites. My son loves it, but there's nothing special about it. By that, I mean it is similar to the other rescue bot toys in this series.

Stonz Youth Mittz - Black (4-8+ Years)
Stonz Youth Mittz - Black (4-8+ Years)

5.0 out of 5 stars The larger 4-8yr size fits my 5 and 7 yrs olds. Best mittens period - worth the higher price, January 12, 2014
A friend of mine recommended Stonz brand name a few years ago, and unfortunately, I didn't do anything then. But I did this winter. These are simply the very best mittens out there for toddlers and young kids. They are worth the higher price because the quality and durability are so outstanding. I don't have any lengths to give you to measure your kids hands/fingers and which size you should purchase. My sons are 5 and 7. The older boy will be his last year wearing these mittens. I personally think 8 years may be just a little too old to fit these mittens - even for little girls. At that young age, girls and boys' hands are pretty much the same size/length.

Depending on the weather, I like my boys to wear those cheap, knit stretch gloves as a liner glove for those really cold days. The Stonz have the elastic string at the wrist to tighten, as well as at the end of the gated/gauntlet cuff.

Do NOT tighten the wrist cord against your kids wrist. My boys hate that....you just want to tighten just a little to help keep the mittens on the hands and not sliding down. The "feel" that they like against their wrist is like a loose pair of sweatpants. Once I have the wrist cord at the desired length and comfort for my boys, I just leave it there. You will need to tighten the cord at the end of the cuff so that it is snug against the outstide of your kid's coat.

This is the only Stonz products that I have purchased, but I do know that they make smaller mittens for 5 and younger. Their pricing is on the higher side (as compared to other retail shops and websites), but I imagine that all of their Stonz products are top quality. I would highly recommend these mittens for parents who are struggling to find something that keeps hands dry, warm and stay on....especially parents that have kids in the age range of 4-7 years that have trouble getting gloves on (or fitting properly). I know kids love gloves, but mittens are so much easier to get their hands in. They can still grip stuff. The palm has an outside rougher "grip" liner. There is no zipper on the cuff, but there is plenty of room to get your kids hands (and coat sleeve) into the mittens.

I'm not sure of the color selection on the Amazon website, but I know Stonz offers these gloves in both standard boys and girls colors. I think they offer boys in black, brown, grey and navy. Since my boys are wearing the same 4-8+ size, I've got two pair in black.....I think the Stonz website was out of the navy color.

GoFit Yogaletics Power Workout
GoFit Yogaletics Power Workout
Price: $14.90
8 used & new from $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quick yoga session, January 12, 2014
I purchased the quicker 20/11 minute yoga combination dvd. I purchased the black cover version with a copyright date of 2009. I think the original YogaAthletics DVDs had a yellow cover. I does play in both my Sony blue ray DVD player and my Apple desktop computer. I haven't tried my Dell laptop computer (running MS Media Player), but I suspect it will play just fine. I decided on the quicker 20/11 yoga version because I was looking for something faster to burn and use on my iPhone and iPod to use as a quick warmup and stretch session before tennis, cardio, weights, etc. Technically, this is more yoga than stretching, but provides a way to stretch the muscles, create a little pre-workout tension in the working muscles and get the body warm too. I also own a few other yoga workout discs (Jillian Michaels, P90X, P90X3, Tony Horton 10-minute trainer and Power Half Hour).....yes, I have a pretty good collection of DVDs. I'm not a Yoga expert (nor have I ever taken a yoga class), so I cannot personally speak on which Yoga workouts are more difficult or more geared towards intermediates and/or advanced. I can get thru all of them, but some have more difficult positions or are just longer in duration (which makes them more difficult). I might be biased towards Tony Horton, but I do NOT think Kent Katich does as good as job as explaining and detailing the moves and positions. He corrects, but just sounds very flat and very technical in his descriptions.

This DVD workout does not have the "spa" or "new age tranquil" music in the background which seemed to bother or distract some previous reviewers on other yoga programs. The only thing that I noticed was the synthersizer track is way too short and is looped way too often. I did notice that, and yes, it did become annoying pretty fast. I would suggest turning the background music off and play something else in the background.

I may purchase the longer 40-45 minute version of YogaAthletics since the DVD is pretty cheap or may purchase the Bob Harper yoga warrior dvd too. The only reason I hesitate against the longer version is simply time. I rarely use the P90X Yoga DVD because it's approximately 90 minutes long....simply way too much time (even on weekends).

I rated the DVD 4-stars because it seems to be a good yoga workout, and I like the shorter sessions that this disc provides.

Wrangler Little Boys' Cowboy Cut Elastic Back Jean
Wrangler Little Boys' Cowboy Cut Elastic Back Jean
Price: $20.00 - $38.22

3.0 out of 5 stars 3-4" too long - be aware of length and alterations, October 29, 2013
I can only give these jeans 3 stars because they are just way too long. Please make sure to read the other reviewer about the length....it's true. My oldest boy is 7, and I was looking for a pair of jeans that still had some elastic in the waist. I find the other elastic/button tabs ok, but I always find myself always pulling that elastic band all the way out to get the waist smaller. Even with a belt, I find the other jeans have difficulty staying up around the waist. I ordered a pair of the 5T, 6T and 7T just to make sure I had at least one pair of jeans that would work before he went back to school from fall break. I ordered these directly from the Wrangler website which was about the same price as Amazon plus free UPS shipping (plus a very generous return policy). I have to send them back. To me, my 7yr old son is average size and typically wears a pretty standard 6T pants. Is it me or are clothing manufacturers making pants and shorts way too long now? Maybe it's a generational thing. These specific 1/2 elastic waist jeans are (on average) 3-4" too long in length. The jeans seem to fit just fine everywhere else (waist, crotch, thighs, etc.) but the length. My son would have needed the 7T size, but honestly, I would have needed to cut and hem about 4" off of the length.....no joke. So a pair of $20 jeans are now going to cost me another $10-15 in alterations charges. That just didn't seem worth it at all. My wife and I do not own a sewing machine, but do know an excellent alteration store who could do the job, but at $10 a pair.

The jeans are excellent quality, but tremendously too long. If you don't mind doing your own hemming or your child is approximately 2-3" taller than the rest of the kids in their same age bracket. I don't know if Wrangler is specifically targeting kids that wear cowboy boots (which honestly seems like a very small demographic to target sales). Be aware that jeans run very long. I searched the internet, but I haven't found another manufacturer that sells 1/2 elastic waist jeans for kids (around the 5T-8T size).

If these jeans were "normal" length, I would have rated them 5 stars and would have kept them (and ordered more). I think the term that Wrangler uses as "cowboy cut" means longer length. That's really too bad because I think Wrangler would sell alot more of these in stores. I think there are alot of parents out there looking for 1/2 elastic (or full elastic) waist jeans for their kids in that 5T-8T range. I think kids at that age find belts a pain and a hassle. As long as the elastic is more stretchy and the fabric a little softer (like sweatpants), I think kids at this age range (5-9) would just soon pull their pants up and down instead of fooling around with zippers and buttons and belts.

Happy Feet / Happy Feet 2 [Blu-ray]
Happy Feet / Happy Feet 2 [Blu-ray]
Price: $10.98
26 used & new from $7.33

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this Happy Feet series - glad to find it in a two-disc combination, July 8, 2013
It was nice to purchase a double blue-ray package of these movies. My son loves the Happy Feet series, so it was very nice to find this two pack in blue-ray format for so cheap on Amazon.

The movies/disc includes special features like music videos, dance-alongs, and some other additional features/bonus stuff.

The Running Experience
The Running Experience
by Bill Dellinger
16 used & new from $0.18

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth buying - buy the other books from Bill Dellinger, July 8, 2013
This review is from: The Running Experience (Paperback)
Regardless of how much you spend, don't spend your money on this book.....even if you're trying to find some books about the former coach of Oregon cross country and track-n-field. This book is very basic and the information is very dated (basically out of date).

To me, the only take away from this book was some of the very, basic beginner running programs. I think this book was written about the time Bill Dellinger and Bill Bowerman started getting more and more of the Oregon/Eugene citizens and students into jogging and running in the late 60s and early 70s.

Save your money.

Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Cofounder
by Kenny Moore
Price: $13.51
87 used & new from $2.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Great history book on Bill Bowerman and his life, but would like to see it more critical and objective, July 8, 2013
The book is basically an entire biography of Bill Bowerman, including his family history before he was born. There's a lot of information in this book. Personally, I wasn't that interested in the life and times of Bill Bowerman until he got back from service in WW II and started coaching at Oregon. The book does have plenty of insight since the author, Kenny Moore was a runner for Bill Bowerman for four years. This book is not an all-out, glowing review of Bill Bowerman. I think Kenny Moore has a very difficult job in writing this book. First, he was a former runner of Bill's, so there is that aspect that creates a filter. The second is that it is very difficult to get all access to someone without being truly objective and critical. If you do, then your access is cut off. I think the author does a good job of balance. Personally, I wish the book could have shown some more of coach Bowerman's flaws and shortcomings. I wish there was more input and reflections from alot more of his former runners about what they liked and not liked about the person and the coach. There are no training programs in here.....it's a history and biography book.

If you love Oregon running, then this is a must have book (or Kindle edition). If you love track-n-field and its history, then I imagine you would want to own this book as well.

Avigo 14 inch Burner Bike - Boys
Avigo 14 inch Burner Bike - Boys
Offered by YS Media Inc.
Price: $112.31
7 used & new from $97.28

5.0 out of 5 stars My 5 year old son loves it, but I would recommend just a few minor changes, July 8, 2013
First, finding a good quality 14" bike is pretty tough. Years ago, I found and purchased a 14" Go Diego Go bicycle for my oldest son. I purchased it from ToysRUs for about $60, but sadly, these are no longer made. My wife and I are now divorced, so we decided to have bikes at both homes for the boys (instead of always lugging the bikes back and forth to both homes everytime the boys visit). The reason I liked the 14" Diego bike was it has a traditional bike frame, like this Avigo model. The traditional bike frames allow you to purchase BMX pads and put them on the bike. Those "V" frames may give you kid a little bit more standing clearance, but you cannot do anything in regards to add any padding to the frame.

As my sons grow, I prefer to purchase bikes in 2" increments so they grow into bikes better so they never feel like they have to ride (and control) a bike that is too big for a year or two before that bike actually fits them.

Bike arrived in perfect condition. I have about 30-some years of cycling so assembling it was a piece of cake. The front chainring is smaller (less teeth) so it makes the pedalling easier for younger kids. For you cycling geeks, the gear ratio between the front chainring and the rear chainring is smaller. The smaller the ratio, the easier it is to pedal and turn the cranks. This bike has a coaster brake. In my experience, I don't feel comfortable having kids learn to ride a bike without training wheels AND learn how to use hand brakes/levers at the same time.

The clear plastic chainguard completely covers the chain, which is both good and bad......good for protection.....bad in case you need to service the chain or any parts behind the guard. The bike seems very durable. The rear hub came shipped a little too tight, but a couple of cone wrenches solved the problem quickly. The one reason I purchased this model vs the other sold was the traditional frame (mentioned above) and this bike has a traditional handlebar stem. The stem is not fixed. This stem allows me to adjust the handlebar angle so that the grips are rotated closer (or away) to fit my son's reach better. Cheaper bikes have stems that are fixed and cannot be adjusted, nor in height nor in rotation. Also, cheaper bikes come stock with handlebars that are simply too wide. I could have purchased a much cheaper 14" bike and forced my son to accommodate his fit to the bike, or I could have purchased a slightly more expensive bike (like this Avigo 14" model), but get better quality and better-fitting components that can be adjusted to my growing son.

The only two things I would recommend to change in future versions of this bike is (1) change the smooth tires to a more knobby, dirt-style tire. My son will soon have the training wheels off and will be off the street and sidewalks and into the grass and dirt. This is not that big of deal. I doubt if my son really can tell the difference. I did purchase a pair of "backup" 14" knobby tires and tubes because he will eventually wear out the rear tire by riding (or skidding). If you're lucky, you will get two years from your tires. Hopefully you will not. As a parent, the good thing is that if he is wearing out his tires in a year, that means he is riding his bike alot. I'm more than happy to purchase more $10 tires for his bike for the sake fo fitness, fresh air and exercise and fun. The second (2) thing I would change about the bike is the oversize frame tubes. It is very difficult to find a good (large diameter) BMX frame pad for this bike. Again, not a deal breaker....part of riding a bike is falling and getting hurt sometimes, but it would be nice if the top tube of the frame was slightly smaller so that I could get a frame pad wrapped around it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2014 5:05 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7