Profile for Michael Killion > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 68

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Killion RSS Feed (Indianapolis, IN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
iKross Red Universal Portable Collapsible Desk Stand holder for Smartphones and MP3 Players
Offered by BlueMall
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, inexpensive and adjustable stand for your cell phone., October 15, 2014
Awesome and inexpensive. I have red and black. The black is for the office and my desk at home. The red is for my workout bag to use at the gym. I picked red so it pops and easy to see (or find, in case I forget). Black would tend to blend in with alot of stuff in a gym or fitness center. I purchase two in pink for my wife....one for her desk at work and another for the side of the bed at home (pink being her favorite color).

I have not tried it with our iPads; just the phones. The only compliant I would have is that it you cannot keep your phone in the stand vertically and still charge your phone from underneath. There is another company that makes one in stainless steel that allows you to use phone and tablet and charge your phone in portrait or landscape positions, but the costs is $25 each. For a few bucks, this is really awesome and folds up easily for travel.

UGREEN 3.5mm Stereo Auxiliary Extension Cable Gold Plated for iPhone, iPad or Smartphones, Tablets, Media Players White 1.5ft/0.5m
Offered by UGREEN GROUP LIMITED
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the perfect extension length when I use my phone on the elliptical or upright bike during workouts, October 15, 2014
Excellent product. I use a few workout/cardio apps on my iPhone. I was looking for a short headphone cable to extend between my iPhone and apple headphones. This worked perfectly and is the right size. I was not looking for another 3 feet....just a little more cable so that I can put my iPhone on the cardio machine console and not worry about jerking my phone off the cardo machine while working out and wearing my headphones. I use them when I'm on the stationary upright bike and elliptical. This small cable extension works perfectly. When I run on the treadmill, I do not use them. I just put my phone in a holster and run my headphones directly from there. For running, the 3ft headphone lenght is just fine and doesn't cause any problems. I could do the same thing when on the bike or elliptical, but for some reason, I just prefer to have my phone and workout program on the cardio machine console.

I have only had this extension cable for about a few days so I have not tested whether or not the cable extension allows you to perform all of the standard functions on the three-button mic (fast forward, repeat, pause, answer a call, etc.). I usually will turn the airplane mode on when I do cardio so I'm not disturbed and distracted with phone calls or texts.

Burton Technologies EPB-CRYSTAL Acoustibuds Flexible Sport Tips for EarPods, earphones and Bluetooth, 2 Pair, 2 Sizes, CRYSTAL
Offered by Burton Technologies, LLC
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent silicon tips for newer apple headphones - but could use improvements to improve voice sounds and more smaller sizes, October 15, 2014
Completely agree with the recent review from N. Davenport....a very excellent review that covers the pros and cons of these acoustic bud tips for the newer Apple headphones. For me (adult male), the size 4 provided the best fit. I ended up trimming the oval tips (cut off the last two "layers") in order to get them in my ears easier (and remove them easier). They do boost the bass, but at the expense of the mid and high frequencies. I didn't think of trimming a small hole in the middle of the tips (on the flat, outside part of the tips where the size is indicated)....N. Davenport - excellent idea and great tip. In my opinion, cutting a small hole here will allow the mid/high frequencies to pass directly out of the tips. For music, I wasn't bothered by the sound. But, when using these to talk on the phone....the voice on the other end was much more difficult to understand. Trimming a small access hole on the side will help elevate this (I hope). I also purchased the earskinz silicon tips too. The reason for the purchase was twofold: (a) I was looking for a cover/skin for my Apple headphones that made the fit a liitle more snug. Both models work just fine. (b) I was looking for a cover/skin that made it much easier to clean on a regular basis. Probably like everyone else who owns the newer Apple headphones, it's impossible to keep ear wax and other dirt out of the dual speaker port. I understand that cleaning the headphones about once a month with a toothpick (or small paperclip) and some rubbing alcohol is no big deal and takes little time. But pulling these off and washing them real fast seem like a better option.

In comparing these to the earskinz model (smoke grey). Both cost about $10/pair. Both are made of soft silicon rubber that stretch over your Apple headphones. The advantage of the Burton Tech acousticbuds is that these stretch on and off much easier and faster. They do emphasize the bass and provide a little more noise isolation (not completely - but a little more). The Acousticbuds come in two different sizes, but be aware that the size 4 (smallest for now) may or may not fit alot of ears out there (including most women in my opinion). You can trim them a little bit. If fashion is your thing, the acousticbuds are only available in two colors (clear and black). The disadvantage is that (I think) the clear look great on the white apple headphones, but you cannot purchase just size 4 or just size 5 in the clear color option....you can only purchase the 2-pack. That stinks. I'm not big on colorful cellular accessories, but I hope the company starts offering the clear tips in just singular size options. In my opinion, the black tips just do not look all that great on my white headphones.....stupid, I know. The earskinz do come in alot of colors. To me, the bad part of the earskinz is that they are very difficult to line up the holes when you stretch them over your headphones. They stay in place, but it requires much more patience and care to stretch them perfectly onto your headphones so that all ports are open with the cut-out openings on the tips. The advantage of the earskinz model is that the sound is not "re-channeled" back to your ears. The sound is the same as standard Apple headphones without skin/covers. To me, that's a good thing.

I cycle and run. So, having complete nosie isolation is not something I'm looking for in a headphone or skin/cover tips. Both provide a little bit more isolation, but not completely.

IF I took N. Davenport's advice and trimmed a small hole on the side of the covers (near the size marker) and trimmed a little more off of the flanged tip, I would prefer the Burton Tech acousticbud silicon tips over the earskinz, given that they are both about the same price per set. I really prefer the clear color look over my white apple headphones over the black color. If the company is listening, I will not purchase anymore until the company directly (or thru Amazon) allows customers to purchase only size 4 in clear. I am not going to purchase a 2-pack of tips just to throw away the size 5. That is simply throwing away money....even though one (1) pair of earskinz is about the same price as the 2-pack. I understand math, but you are also selling a 2-pack of size 4 in black for the same price. I hope someday the manufacturer can do the same for the clear color. AND - maybe they will design a tighter fitting size 3 (maybe a tighter fit with fewer ridges around the outside of the headphones). Again, four stars because they are excellent, but as an engineer, they certainly can use improvements and offer more purchasing options for their customers. Good luck.

New Balance® Bubble Lace
New Balance® Bubble Lace
Price: $1.95 - $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I use them to replace my drawstrings in my shorts. LOVE THEM! The best., July 19, 2014
This review is from: New Balance® Bubble Lace
My son and I went into a local New Balance store to get him a pair of new shoes. I saw these at the check out counter. It's one of the brilliant, million-dollar ideas (maybe not that much) that is so simple to improve on something that we thought was just fine for the last 2,000 years. I didn't get them for my shoes since I don't have a problem with my shoes becoming loose or untied. BUT - I did purchase a pair to replace the shoe strings in my running shorts to see if these new balance shoelaces would be an improvement on my drawstring. They were immediately!! To tighten my shorts quicker, I also use one of those string "toggle" things.....plastic ball that you slip the shoelaces or drawstrings thru. I don't know what the actual name of them. I purchased a lot of them at a local medical clothing supply store. You depressed on the plastic button to pull tight (or loosen). The "nubs" on the new balance shoelaces do a much better job at keeping the toggle "locked" into place. No more adjusting and re-adjusting my swim trunks or running shorts. AND thank you new balance for going corporate crazy and charging a ridiculous price either. I got mine at a new balance store for about $3.50 for a pair (plus sales tax). After a few months, the laces are doing fine. I was concerned with some long term diminishing of the nubs....maybe after months of stretching, tightening, loosening, etc., I was worried that the nubs would start to disappear and these new balance shoelaces would start looking like any other shoelaces. So far, no "nub" loss and they still lock in place tight and do not move with my plastic string toggles. For something that is better and superior to the drawstrings that you already have in your shorts (or pants), I highly recommend you give a pair of these new balance sure-lace shoelaces a try.

New Balance Sure-Lace Shoelaces 2 Pair Pack
New Balance Sure-Lace Shoelaces 2 Pair Pack
Price: $7.49 - $11.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best string to use for drawstrings in shorts !! Love them., July 19, 2014

Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool Heroes Medix The Doc-Bot Figure
Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool Heroes Medix The Doc-Bot Figure
3 used & new from $199.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy - very hard to find Ambulance Doc Rescue Bot, January 12, 2014
This hard-to-find rescue bot completes my son's collection. I paid about $40 on Amazon, but I remember this one when it was being sold at Target for $15. You may be patient and find it much cheaper thru Amazon and other auction-related websites. My son loves it, but there's nothing special about it. By that, I mean it is similar to the other rescue bot toys in this series.

Stonz Youth Mittz - Black (4-8+ Years)
Stonz Youth Mittz - Black (4-8+ Years)

5.0 out of 5 stars The larger 4-8yr size fits my 5 and 7 yrs olds. Best mittens period - worth the higher price, January 12, 2014
A friend of mine recommended Stonz brand name a few years ago, and unfortunately, I didn't do anything then. But I did this winter. These are simply the very best mittens out there for toddlers and young kids. They are worth the higher price because the quality and durability are so outstanding. I don't have any lengths to give you to measure your kids hands/fingers and which size you should purchase. My sons are 5 and 7. The older boy will be his last year wearing these mittens. I personally think 8 years may be just a little too old to fit these mittens - even for little girls. At that young age, girls and boys' hands are pretty much the same size/length.

Depending on the weather, I like my boys to wear those cheap, knit stretch gloves as a liner glove for those really cold days. The Stonz have the elastic string at the wrist to tighten, as well as at the end of the gated/gauntlet cuff.

Do NOT tighten the wrist cord against your kids wrist. My boys hate that....you just want to tighten just a little to help keep the mittens on the hands and not sliding down. The "feel" that they like against their wrist is like a loose pair of sweatpants. Once I have the wrist cord at the desired length and comfort for my boys, I just leave it there. You will need to tighten the cord at the end of the cuff so that it is snug against the outstide of your kid's coat.

This is the only Stonz products that I have purchased, but I do know that they make smaller mittens for 5 and younger. Their pricing is on the higher side (as compared to other retail shops and websites), but I imagine that all of their Stonz products are top quality. I would highly recommend these mittens for parents who are struggling to find something that keeps hands dry, warm and stay on....especially parents that have kids in the age range of 4-7 years that have trouble getting gloves on (or fitting properly). I know kids love gloves, but mittens are so much easier to get their hands in. They can still grip stuff. The palm has an outside rougher "grip" liner. There is no zipper on the cuff, but there is plenty of room to get your kids hands (and coat sleeve) into the mittens.

I'm not sure of the color selection on the Amazon website, but I know Stonz offers these gloves in both standard boys and girls colors. I think they offer boys in black, brown, grey and navy. Since my boys are wearing the same 4-8+ size, I've got two pair in black.....I think the Stonz website was out of the navy color.

GoFit Yogaletics Power Workout
GoFit Yogaletics Power Workout
Price: $14.42
8 used & new from $8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quick yoga session, January 12, 2014
I purchased the quicker 20/11 minute yoga combination dvd. I purchased the black cover version with a copyright date of 2009. I think the original YogaAthletics DVDs had a yellow cover. I does play in both my Sony blue ray DVD player and my Apple desktop computer. I haven't tried my Dell laptop computer (running MS Media Player), but I suspect it will play just fine. I decided on the quicker 20/11 yoga version because I was looking for something faster to burn and use on my iPhone and iPod to use as a quick warmup and stretch session before tennis, cardio, weights, etc. Technically, this is more yoga than stretching, but provides a way to stretch the muscles, create a little pre-workout tension in the working muscles and get the body warm too. I also own a few other yoga workout discs (Jillian Michaels, P90X, P90X3, Tony Horton 10-minute trainer and Power Half Hour).....yes, I have a pretty good collection of DVDs. I'm not a Yoga expert (nor have I ever taken a yoga class), so I cannot personally speak on which Yoga workouts are more difficult or more geared towards intermediates and/or advanced. I can get thru all of them, but some have more difficult positions or are just longer in duration (which makes them more difficult). I might be biased towards Tony Horton, but I do NOT think Kent Katich does as good as job as explaining and detailing the moves and positions. He corrects, but just sounds very flat and very technical in his descriptions.

This DVD workout does not have the "spa" or "new age tranquil" music in the background which seemed to bother or distract some previous reviewers on other yoga programs. The only thing that I noticed was the synthersizer track is way too short and is looped way too often. I did notice that, and yes, it did become annoying pretty fast. I would suggest turning the background music off and play something else in the background.

I may purchase the longer 40-45 minute version of YogaAthletics since the DVD is pretty cheap or may purchase the Bob Harper yoga warrior dvd too. The only reason I hesitate against the longer version is simply time. I rarely use the P90X Yoga DVD because it's approximately 90 minutes long....simply way too much time (even on weekends).

I rated the DVD 4-stars because it seems to be a good yoga workout, and I like the shorter sessions that this disc provides.

Wrangler Little Boys' Cowboy Cut Elastic Back Jean
Wrangler Little Boys' Cowboy Cut Elastic Back Jean
Price: $20.00 - $38.22

3.0 out of 5 stars 3-4" too long - be aware of length and alterations, October 29, 2013
I can only give these jeans 3 stars because they are just way too long. Please make sure to read the other reviewer about the length....it's true. My oldest boy is 7, and I was looking for a pair of jeans that still had some elastic in the waist. I find the other elastic/button tabs ok, but I always find myself always pulling that elastic band all the way out to get the waist smaller. Even with a belt, I find the other jeans have difficulty staying up around the waist. I ordered a pair of the 5T, 6T and 7T just to make sure I had at least one pair of jeans that would work before he went back to school from fall break. I ordered these directly from the Wrangler website which was about the same price as Amazon plus free UPS shipping (plus a very generous return policy). I have to send them back. To me, my 7yr old son is average size and typically wears a pretty standard 6T pants. Is it me or are clothing manufacturers making pants and shorts way too long now? Maybe it's a generational thing. These specific 1/2 elastic waist jeans are (on average) 3-4" too long in length. The jeans seem to fit just fine everywhere else (waist, crotch, thighs, etc.) but the length. My son would have needed the 7T size, but honestly, I would have needed to cut and hem about 4" off of the length.....no joke. So a pair of $20 jeans are now going to cost me another $10-15 in alterations charges. That just didn't seem worth it at all. My wife and I do not own a sewing machine, but do know an excellent alteration store who could do the job, but at $10 a pair.

The jeans are excellent quality, but tremendously too long. If you don't mind doing your own hemming or your child is approximately 2-3" taller than the rest of the kids in their same age bracket. I don't know if Wrangler is specifically targeting kids that wear cowboy boots (which honestly seems like a very small demographic to target sales). Be aware that jeans run very long. I searched the internet, but I haven't found another manufacturer that sells 1/2 elastic waist jeans for kids (around the 5T-8T size).

If these jeans were "normal" length, I would have rated them 5 stars and would have kept them (and ordered more). I think the term that Wrangler uses as "cowboy cut" means longer length. That's really too bad because I think Wrangler would sell alot more of these in stores. I think there are alot of parents out there looking for 1/2 elastic (or full elastic) waist jeans for their kids in that 5T-8T range. I think kids at that age find belts a pain and a hassle. As long as the elastic is more stretchy and the fabric a little softer (like sweatpants), I think kids at this age range (5-9) would just soon pull their pants up and down instead of fooling around with zippers and buttons and belts.

Happy feet 1 & 2 Blu-ray
Happy feet 1 & 2 Blu-ray
Price: $13.72
26 used & new from $8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this Happy Feet series - glad to find it in a two-disc combination, July 8, 2013
This review is from: Happy feet 1 & 2 Blu-ray (Blu-ray)
It was nice to purchase a double blue-ray package of these movies. My son loves the Happy Feet series, so it was very nice to find this two pack in blue-ray format for so cheap on Amazon.

The movies/disc includes special features like music videos, dance-alongs, and some other additional features/bonus stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7