Profile for John Peiffer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Peiffer RSS Feed (Portland, OR USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
PETRA 15-0303 Appliance Extension Cord, 3-Foot
PETRA 15-0303 Appliance Extension Cord, 3-Foot
Offered by GeeksHive, Inc.
Price: $6.91
24 used & new from $1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Combo for the Kill A Watt Monitor, January 25, 2014
This has just the right length I needed to get behind the appliances I was measuring power consumption with the Kill A Watt meter.

Ziotek ZT1212518 Power Strip Liberator Plus with Pass Through, 5-Pack
Ziotek ZT1212518 Power Strip Liberator Plus with Pass Through, 5-Pack
Price: $18.04
8 used & new from $17.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Balancing Option, January 25, 2014
In addition to the convenience of not losing an outlet with the pass-through, it also allowed me to plug some of the heavier power supplies directly into the pass-through port which gave enough heft to the power strip to offset the unwanted lateral pull from the units plugged into the extensions. This allowed me to keep the narrow power strip level on the floor instead of tipping on its side while minimizing the floor space all of the connections take up. The standard extensions don't give you that option.

Zitrades 5 Colors Power Strip Liberator 14-inch Extension, 5-pack
Zitrades 5 Colors Power Strip Liberator 14-inch Extension, 5-pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than All Black, January 25, 2014
One main advantage these have over the typical extension packs is the color variety. When connecting & disconnecting multiple items to/from a surge protected power strip which has insuffient clearance for all the wall warts, having a separate color for each takes the fumbling & guesswork out of which one is being unplugged. You might not realize the convenience of it until you've had to deal with the problem with an all-black set of extensions.

Singer Cutting and Craft Board
Singer Cutting and Craft Board
Price: $17.03
4 used & new from $16.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Large Enough To Work With, December 31, 2013
Although it is similar to other competitor's products, this is the only one that is really practical for me in terms of size. Having the full six feet of length allows me to work with many of my projects without having them hang off the side.

1/2" x 125ft x 24" BUBBLE WRAP ROLL (Large Bubbles)
1/2" x 125ft x 24" BUBBLE WRAP ROLL (Large Bubbles)
Offered by ValueMailers
Price: $25.52
3 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Large Bubbles, December 31, 2013
The bubbles in the rolls I received are actually about an inch which is what I was looking for, not the smaller half inch size I was expecting from the product description.

Camco 11691 Water Heater Tank Rinser
Camco 11691 Water Heater Tank Rinser
Price: $6.77
15 used & new from $6.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more practical than a garden hose nozzle, December 31, 2013
The smaller diameter of the wand allows water to drain back out of the tank while rinsing with a high pressure stream saving time and effort.

About Saddle Fit  (what everyone needs to know) [VHS]
About Saddle Fit (what everyone needs to know) [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have For Every Horse Owner or Rider, July 14, 2013
One of the things that I noticed when I was first learning about saddles and horsemanship in general was the absence of clearly presented information that didn't partially rely on already knowing the answer to your question. That coupled with numerous differences of opinion made it very challenging to find answers that were useful to me. The latter was especially true when I tried to get this information from experienced riders and trainers where most of them didn't really know as much as they thought they did.

This video (currently available in DVD format) swept aside all of the typical hurdles I had to overcome in getting to the information I needed. The underlying concepts of the horse's physical characteristics and the techniques that saddle makers have used to create solutions that work for both the horse and rider are presented in a clear and concise series of steps. More importantly, the emphasis on addressing the entire solution starting with the horse's needs was quite different from what I was hearing from salespersons, brochures, web sites, and self-proclaimed "experts" peddling their ideas and wares.

These concepts are universal ones regardless of the style of riding or the type of saddle. If you want your horse's experience on your rides to be a pain-free one, you can't overlook these basic requirements - which far too many people do (for whatever reasons). Just as important as the suitable foundation is in a building for its structure and intended use, a saddle needs to fit your horse properly in order to allow the freedom of movement they need and prevent the numerous issues that can arise from an improper fit.

I found that the information in this video cut right through many of the misconceptions that I had heard from a variety of sources. In retrospect, many of those people should have known better so it made me wonder why these concepts aren't more pervasive in the equestrian community. Marketing and sales comes to mind - I was certainly influenced by bad information that omitted some of these details when it came to peddling their products so it became obvious to me that the emphasis I was hearing was being placed on the wrong end of the horse equation.

Start with the horse - from there, you can go in almost any direction towards what the rider needs but you have to get the basics working correctly for the horse first. Saddle makers who can get the basics done for you correctly will be able to bring their skills to bear when working their way up from the horse.

I had the good fortune of attending one of Dave Genadek's saddle fitting clinics up here in the Northwest and took along all of our saddles. They all turned out to be great training aids in pointing out just why they did not fit and learned about some of the flaws in many commercially available saddles that were present in ours. Using the techniques outlined in the video, we were able to use our saddles in hands-on demonstrations of how to detect proper fit and some solutions that can be adopted to remedy a saddle that is not quite fitting properly but yet still a candidate for adjusting with the correct use of pads and shimming. Dave's approach in these clinics is very similar to the video presentation, very professional and informative. We had two of our mustangs with us and Dave demonstrated the fit of a saddle tree on each of them just he does in the video. We were surprised to find a perfect fit with the same tree on both of our horses. He goes to great lengths to ensure that his audience is given the benefit of years of experience and knowledge from authoritative sources without any mention or promotion of his products. You just don't seem to run across that kind of personal integrity and commitment much these days. Since we had already seen the quality of his workmanship in the saddles some of our friends had ordered from him and we were so lucky to have found a tree that fit so well that we ordered custom saddles for our mustangs after the clinic. We have been very happy with the comfort and fit of those saddles for years and it has made a huge difference for our horses. A big difference from having the right information where it is needed most.

You may learn things about your horse or your saddle from this video that will surprise you. I know I did. "Why doesn't everybody know this?" was the first thing that came to mind. If you get the opportunity to attend or sponsor one of Dave's saddle fitting clinics, it just might change your horse's life. This video makes a great gift as a stocking stuffer at Christmas, donation to your local 4H group, or as a hint for the owner of a horse with people problems that you might know. ;-) My horses have a lot to thank Dave for and yours might too after watching this video.

Build a $1500 Portable Greenhouse or Garden Shed For $150  In Just a few hours without a kit!
Build a $1500 Portable Greenhouse or Garden Shed For $150 In Just a few hours without a kit!
Price: $4.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy peasy greenhouse plans, looks and works great!, April 14, 2013
(ha ha just saw I wrote this under my husband's name!) My husband and I have been talking about building a greenhouse for years, and we've looked at tons of plans and kits, but the major issue we had was time. Any design really required we have a perfectly flat location to build it on. Every kit had user comments about making sure everything was square and level or the panels would come out. Although we've got a few acres and we've even built our own 48 x 48 barn, we just never seemed to find the time and energy to dedicate to the greenhouse project. Until we found Alan's design, that is. I saw a YouTube video and the more we looked, the more excited we got. This was perfect for our backyard needs. 2 weekends later we got all the materials we needed and put together the greenhouse, right in the garden where we'll be using it. No concrete slab or foundation prep was required, we just put it up and bam, it was done. Immediately we got benefit (we live in cold wet Oregon, so extending our growing season means a LOT for us!) with the immediate (at least) 10 degree increase on even the cloudiest wettest days preventing our starts from frostbite already twice this week. We put doors with windows (plastic wrapped) on both ends, with latching doors so we can now use the greenhouse as a pass-through from the garden to the front pasture driveway instead of having to go all the way around. We also got some great used industrial shelving, rope lighting, and a utility sink so it turned out quite charming. It's now my "woman cave" and I spend all my spare time out there puttering around. Thanks Alan! I know we would've never gotten around to building a greenhouse if it hadn't been for your great design. We made ours a 3-panel (12x8) and used treated 2x6's rather than 2x4's for the 'foundation' so it's still tall enough at the center for my 6'2" husband to stand up. Love it, love it, love it!!! --- Oregon Fan

Bogs Men's Rancher  Boot,Black,11 M
Bogs Men's Rancher Boot,Black,11 M
Price: $115.95
6 used & new from $115.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite The Same As My Last Pair, March 28, 2013
This review is from: Bogs Men's Rancher Boot (Apparel)
I bought these as a replacement for a pair that developed a small hole that I have been unable to repair sufficiently to keep them from leaking. Something is different about the fit that isn't quite as comfortable as my original ones. It isn't a matter of break-in period - my original ones fit like a glove the first time I put them and are comfortable to wear all day long but are still just as comfortable as they were brand new. The new pair might possibly be from a different supplier or simply a slight difference or variation in the manufacturing proces.

Do-All Outdoors .22 Auto Reset Target
Do-All Outdoors .22 Auto Reset Target
Price: $26.99
56 used & new from $24.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Ideal for a .22, January 28, 2013
I have used a heavier duty model for high caliber ammunition and was initially concerned that this might reveal some of the same shortcomings, but it worked flawlessly and does not incur the kind of damage to the dowel pins on misses that the heavier model does with .38, .357, .44, and 9mm rounds. Whether you are using a pistol or rifle, the convenience of the resetting paddle is worth the entire purchase price. The frame and anchor rods are robust enough and sufficient to keep it in place even on relatively soft ground during our trials. In areas such as an old quarry that are too rocky to drive in the stakes, you might want to mount it on a plywood base. if you aren't fond of replacing the target decals, you can do a quick touch-up on the paddles with a can of spray paint after each use in preparation for the next outing. Make your practice session more interesting by making a friendly game of mixing it up with the sequence in which to hit and reset the targets for both markmanship & memory. 1-2-3-4-reset;1-4-reset;2-3-reset;1-3-2-4-reset;individual reset one-by-one -- use your imagination. Fun for the whole family.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3