Profile for H. Weston > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

H. Weston RSS Feed (Utah, USA)

Michael Vey 2: Rise of the Elgen
Michael Vey 2: Rise of the Elgen
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling storyline - not for kids, March 8, 2015
I really enjoyed the first Michael Vey book and expected #2 to be just as good. I was wrong. It is dark and full of torture and very disturbing events. I was horrified by many of the things that happened in the book and even more appalled that this book is marketed to young readers. My son's elementary school held an assembly in 2014 encouraging kids to read the book. They even had a representative of the author appear at the assembly. Needless to say my son did not attend the assembly nor have I read any further in the series because the second book was such a turnoff.

Levi's Will
Levi's Will
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent writing. Couldn't put it down! Real and genuine., December 16, 2014
This review is from: Levi's Will (Kindle Edition)
I read "Levi's Will" and loved it. I was especially delighted to read the afterword that shared the author's own father's journey back to a full and loving relationship with his sister.

I have read all of Mr. Cramer's books and enjoy so much his writing style, his very real approach to God and His love and the insight I gain each time I read his books. Frankly, I read novels to be entertained but Mr. Cramer's books always leave me with a desire to do better and be better. I generally only read Christian fiction as far as novels go and Dale Cramer is one of my favorite authors. After I read "Sutter's Cross" last fall I bought a copy for my mom because I thought she would enjoy it so much. Now I want to share "Levi's Will" and "Summer of Light" with her. He has such a unique understanding of people - both men and women - and his writing reflects that.

Thorn
Thorn
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand the poor reviews of this book, December 16, 2014
This review is from: Thorn (Kindle Edition)
I don't understand the poor reviews of this book. It's a retelling of a German fairytale, The Goose Girl and it's beautifully written. If you're not familiar with the storyline of The Goose Girl, it's understandable that Thorn might be off-putting to some, but that's no excuse to lambast the author's writing. I thought Ms. Khanani's writing style was well done and enjoyed reading her book from beginning to end. There were just two parts of the book I found a bit confusing and that may be because I read too quickly or because I didn't fully understand the subtle nuances of court language. Otherwise, I found the entire story to be appealing and enjoyable. I was drawn to the main character because of her honesty and innate goodness and loved the happy ending. Isn't that part of what makes a great fairytale? Well done Ms. Khanani!

Storm (Elemental Book 1)
Storm (Elemental Book 1)
Price: $3.82

1.0 out of 5 stars I definitely should know better than to read YA fiction when it's by an ..., November 18, 2014
I definitely should know better than to read YA fiction when it's by an unfamiliar author. I hadn't read ten pages and quit in disgust. The story had a great premise but it just went downhill right from the beginning. When an author needs to use crude and poor language to appeal to her audience, she needs to up her writing skills. I was so disappointed in what had promised to be an exciting, adventurous read.

The Country House Courtship (A Regency Inspirational Romance)
The Country House Courtship (A Regency Inspirational Romance)
by Linore Rose Burkard
12 used & new from $4.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Regency Novel, April 21, 2013
This is the third in a trilogy and I wished for more when I turned the last page. When I began the series I didn't have high expectations but as I progressed through the books, I discovered I thoroughly enjoyed Burkard's writing style, plot and character development and storyline. I appreciated her use of Regency-era language without being it being overdone or stilted. The glossary in the back of the book was an interesting and worthwhile addition. I liked very much the use of scripture throughout the books and the ability of Burkard to gently teach of God's love without being self-righteous or overbearing. This really is a fun and inspirational series to read. I only wish Burkard had more books published. I don't have an e-reader so the print form is my only avenue for books and as far as I can tell, anything she has published recently is in electronic form.

Update - 12/14/14: I received a Kindle last Christmas and eventually tried a couple of Burkard's ebooks. They were not nearly as good as her published books. I wouldn't waste the time or money.

Adventures of Dod
Adventures of Dod
by Thomas R. Williams
Price: $13.46
94 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written but My Nine-Year-Old Loved It, September 14, 2012
This review is from: Adventures of Dod (Paperback)
The book greatly appealed to my nine-year-old son. I try to read whatever he's interested so I can review them and make sure they're appropriate. I couldn't finish the book. It was so poorly written that I finally shut it in disgust. However, my son loved it and has read it three times. He's anxious to read the second one. There's nothing wrong with the book, there's just nothing right with it either.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2013 3:38 PM PDT

Soothie Pacifier Attacher - Blue Penguin with Igloo Clip
Soothie Pacifier Attacher - Blue Penguin with Igloo Clip

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but needs work, July 28, 2008
Although the clip works, it doesn't work well. My five-month old easily separates the pacifier from the clip. I use it only when we're away from home as I too often have to put the clip and the pacifier back together. It comes in most handy when I'm carrying him and his hands are not occupied with the pacifier or when he's in his stroller and he's too busy looking around or playing with the toys in his tray to pay any attention to the clip. The soothie clip is a great idea, just one that needs some fine tuning.