Profile for Ben > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ben "Ben Meyer" RSS Feed (DURBAN, South Africa)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Steam Engine Brass Dual Piston
Steam Engine Brass Dual Piston

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of fun, December 26, 2013
My favourite toy when I was 8. Great gift for any kid and a lovely way to teach basic safety (fire, heat, scalding). I basically wore mine out and expect the same with this one! Pricing is rather high but I think volumes are low so labour content is a big factor. Consruction is pretty good and the parts can be repaired. The manual is grim. A larger boiler may have been better for a longer run time than a few minutes. Perhaps the next version should have 1) an open flywheel to allow a belt to be fitted to allow teaching about energy. My son already figured this was a power station. 2) compact base so it can be used as an engine. Possibilities are endless, which is where the inspiration comes in!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2014 10:29 PM PST

Educational Insights Geosafari Plankton Net
Educational Insights Geosafari Plankton Net
Price: $16.80
31 used & new from $16.60

5.0 out of 5 stars well thought out product, December 25, 2013
The kit comes with a well constructed net, screw on sample bottle with built in magnifying glass and waterproof chart. My son loves bugs and my wife is a scientist so we are all looking forward to trawling through tidal pools and rivers for plankton. This is a wonderful time for sharing our enthusiasm for science with our kids and also to just have fun.

Bar Barakah: A Parents Guide to a Christian Bar Mitzvah
Bar Barakah: A Parents Guide to a Christian Bar Mitzvah
Price: $3.60

5.0 out of 5 stars good practical advice, December 25, 2013
We used this book as a guideline for my daughter's blessing. The ceremony turned out really well and i recommend you read a few books on the subject before deciding the exact format that suites your family.

Fascinations Levitron Globe Ion
Fascinations Levitron Globe Ion
Price: Click here to see our price
18 used & new from $62.99

5.0 out of 5 stars really cool idea, December 25, 2013
This product is fascinating to watch. Setting up the ball is easy when the controller is first switched on. It seems to warm up a bit when in operation and that makes it more difficult, or impossible, to get suspension. Wait 15 - 20 minutes for it to cool down before retrying. It is difficult to design this sort of thing and the control loop inside doesn't know when you are fiddling with it. Be patient, don't poke around with it and you will really enjoy it. If you are impatient then you won't like it. There is a strong magnet in the base so if you have power problems the ball will fall and make a loud bang as it strikes the base. It will stick to the base so don't worry about it rolling on the floor or hitting something. Keep metallic objects away from the base. Enjoy.
Some hints: Be sure to put the base on a vibration free surface, avoid a suspended wooden floor which will cause the globe to wobble and fall. Make sure the power connectors are sturdy. The connector to the wall socket should be a high quality (traveller) variety. The DC socket to the globe needs to be firmly in place. The ball will remain suspended indefinitely as long as it gets steady power and no vibration.

The Game Maker's Apprentice: Game Development for Beginners
The Game Maker's Apprentice: Game Development for Beginners
by Mark H. Overmars
Price: $22.58
127 used & new from $1.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Appeals to tinkerers more than theorists, December 8, 2013
The book is more hands on than about being interesting to a teenager. You need to buy their pro version of software for some features and need programming skills. The appeal of the book is more limited in audience than I expected and is not suited to beginners. Perhaps my daughter will find appeal when she is older but I expect she would be more interested in gaming theory by then. I am sure tinkerers will love the book and will dive straight in, more academic folk would do better elsewhere.

3D Printing News Daily
3D Printing News Daily
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars dont download, December 8, 2013
This review is from: 3D Printing News Daily (App)
Dont download this rubbish. It is annoyware and will instantly tell you that you have a virus on you kindle. The content is rubbish and the developers seem to just be using it as a platform for their own means.

My Best Mathematical and Logic Puzzles (Dover Recreational Math)
My Best Mathematical and Logic Puzzles (Dover Recreational Math)
Price: $2.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but formatting of Kindle book is threadbare, December 8, 2013
Just when I thought I was great at logic puzzles this book comes and makes me turn my brain on and think! The puzzles are mostly decent and varied in theme so there is enough content to appeal to a wide audience. I am enjoying doing the puzzles with my 13 year old daughter. My criticisms are with the kindle book having insufficient effort being put into its production. 1) each puzzle should have a link to its solution. You need to return to the content page and manually navigate to the answers then page until you find the solution. Hopefully you dont accidentally read the answer to the next puzzle. 2) puzzles are barebones. They need more illustration. 3) Hints should be included so you dont resort to the answer too quickly. 4) the solutions need more explanation and illustration. I think the author has been writing these books so long he has forgotten that the joy in puzzles lies in the journey not the answer. Nonetheless the book is going to give you days of enjoyment.

Make Your Own Soda: Syrup Recipes for All-Natural Pop, Floats, Cocktails, and More
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Voyage of discovery into new flavours, December 8, 2013
This book made me discover that delicious recipes are so easy to make at home. I am certain they are far healthier than the shop concentrates as I get to choose what ingredients go into the mix. Did I mention that shop syrup is so much more expensive? Treat this book as a voyage of discovery into new flavours and unlock your soda machine.

Logic: Bullet Guides
Logic: Bullet Guides

1.0 out of 5 stars no content in the sample, December 8, 2013
Sample book has no content. My children and I enjoy books on logic and puzzles. As there are so many available on the market, varying from great to terrible, i always check reviews and the samples before buying. There are no reviews for this book yet, and the sample has no content, so my only conclusion is that the book must be nasty. My advice to the author is to include enough content, say chapter one, that potential buyers can use to make a purchasing decision. Even if the author feels their book is fantastic not everyone can be expected to like the style etc. The samples sell the book, or not in this case. Remember the municipal library has all this stuff for free so dont feel you are giving anything away.

Verbatim Blu-ray Disc 50 pcs Spindle - 50GB 4X BD-R DL - Inkjet Printable
Verbatim Blu-ray Disc 50 pcs Spindle - 50GB 4X BD-R DL - Inkjet Printable
Offered by mottainaiya
Price: $130.26
104 used & new from $86.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product, May 8, 2013
I have burned many of these discs for making server backups of Virtual Machines. I prefer to use high capacity discs to using a tape drive since it is so convenient to store and restore with discs.
The burn speed is great and I just use the standard Power2Go software that was supplied with my Asus BD writer running on Windows 8 x64. There have been no disc failures so far. I use an Epson L800 to print on the labels and have been very happy with the print quality. I just wish that I could buy bigger spindles.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3