58 of 67 people found the following review helpful
Fast blu ray player, amazing picture and FEW ISSUES !
, April 15, 2013
I would say its undoubtedly one of the best blu ray players for 2013 with 4k upscaling with a few issues.
I have always been a fan of Samsung blu ray family. This time wanted to try out the others in the market as i was disappointed that my 2011 TV dint have Amazon instant video and so did my 2011 Samsung BDD6700 blu ray player.
I have tested out the following
1) Sony BDP-S790 (2012 model continues to 2013)
Have never been a great fan of Sony. But wanted to give it a try. I knew i am not a person who loves sony's interface and their clunky plastic remote, that makes noise every time you click a button. But yet, as i have heard the great picture quality i wanted to give it a try.
As expected, faster loads/reads of blu ray disc had great picture. But the annoying sounds from pressing the plastic button on the so plasticky remote, slow buffering speeds while watching internet movies (netflix, vudu) and everytime trying to figure out your network speed before playing a video on Amazon instant video just made me give this blu ray player up.
2) LG BP730 (2013)
Have heard good about this one as well, but you will have to try them out to actually find out how great they work :)
Best part of this was the Magic remote, its just so cool and fun to operate :)
Disc does load fast, slightly slower than Sony BDPS790. Noticeable difference between the picture quality of the same blu ray disc i had played on Sony, the quality here seemed to be little degraded.
When played internet tv, i did not face any buffering issues like i had faced with Sony but the picture quality while playing same video from netflix image was not clear at all (compared with Sony).
This one had another cool feature of listening to your tv via LG app on your smartphone. But i did not give it a try at all. As disappointing picture quality made me give this away.
Also this one did not have Amazon instant video then (couple of weeks ago). May be it has it now
So finally i picked up this one Samsung BDF7500
1) Samsung's blu ray players are generally sleeker this one was not as sleek as the high end 2011/2012 models. Weird by design as well compared to the above 2 manufacturers. But well that was not a deciding factor as once you have it sitting in your covered TV stand you are not going to notice it much :)
2) I played the same 3D blu ray disc (amazing spiderman)as used to test both of the other blu ray players above. The speed was similar to LG. So not on par with Sony. May be the Sony blu ray player read the disc faster as it is produced by Sony ;) Just kidding.
3) The picture quality was just amazing, way better than the Sony and LG. Very sharp and clear, great colors, contrast. I was blown away by the picture.
4) Remote did not have annoying buttons, is small (same as sony) but silicon or soft buttons (something similar to 2011/2012 buttons, and better). Easy to navigate and operate.
5) Amazon instant video showed up 2 weeks after i got the blu ray player. The app was just great with Samsung interface. Does not check for internet speed every time you have to play a movie from Amazon (like Sony) or any other application.
6) The GUI is slightly boring and yet cool :) It does ofcourse remind you little bit of Windows 8. But it is, easy to navigate through the apps and changing across dlna devices or sources.
7) You can play tons of media files' formats (Sony is restricted to play only .avi). This one plays .mkv, ,mp4, .avi, .mpeg, .vod and many more. So this has one MAJOR ADVANTAGE over Sony.
Now comes the main and only issue i have faced.
This has happened 3-4 times with me, like after a week or 2 use of the blu ray player.
Whenever i turn on the blu ray player and try to access an app (netflix or amazon), basically its like as if the the blu ray player did not receive the command from the remote. After clicking the button on the remote few times, then the "Setup network" window comes up and says that i am not connected to internet.
So i have to reconnect to my home network and then i am able to play the internet videos.
This is ofcourse DISAPPOINTING !!!
One more thing that you wont find in this one is, 2D-3D conversion. Good to Have thing, but i dont think its a MUST.
But the amazing picture quality, ease of use, faster reads (even though not as great as Sony), ability to play tons of other video formats and all the apps that i need makes it a BIG winner of all the 2013 4k upscaling blu ray players for me.
Also this one has 2 HDMI ports, one for tv and one could be used to connect to your receiver. Also has analog input and output for older tvs or receivers.
I have not tried the CD ripping feature. I anyways think who wants to rip cds using a blu ray player?!!! What would you use computers for (ofcourse the ones which have cd roms ) :)
I havent tried the Panasonic DMT330 one yet. I have anyways never liked their interface. So i am going to skip it.
So overall a great one will recommend it. About connecting to Internet everytime i turn on my blu ray player, i am assuming may be its just the piece i got. I have purchased it from amazon so i am thinking of exchanging and getting another piece.
Today i had tried to play .avi and .mkv files from my Macbook using Vuze.
Some reason the Blu Ray plr did not detect the .avi file. I tried refreshing my vuze, also tried refreshing the allshare service on the blu ray plr by going back and forth.
Tried playing the .mkv file and wow..the picture is like atleast x2 times better than what i see on my UN55D8000 samsung LED TV. Picture is as usual amazing, but i found another ISSSUE!
This time i was not able to either forward or rewind the video i was watching using all share (i.e. vuze from my macbook pro).
It has got nothing to do with my Macbook or Vuze as i play these video files on my TV in the same manner with no issues.
I am not sure if this is an issue with just the one piece which i received. i have returned this one to Amazon and exchanging for another piece. Hope that i dont find the same issues with the other piece as well.
I wish i could drop only half star further, but will have to drop one STAR, considering NO 2D-3D conversion, Setting up Wireless connectivity everytime i try to access internet apps and now the inability to read .avi/forward or rewind .mkv files.