Profile for doughffxi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

doughffxi RSS Feed

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword with Music CD
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword with Music CD
Offered by stevevideopa
Price: $58.00
88 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid design, December 5, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Simply put, Skyward Sword is the target product that Nintendo executives and creatives were probably all imagining when they were drafting designs for the Nintendo Wii. It took a long time, but the dream has finally been realized.

The game plays absolutely great. The bad reviews for controls probably comes from the misconception that Skyward Sword uses similar design in other Wii games that people might have played before. For example, the game doesn't use the sensor bar for aiming, it uses the precision of the remote motion+ itself. That may seem intentionally confusing but when you thinking about it, it's probably more cumbersome to have to point and aim the remote at the sensor bar from whatever position you had the remote prior. It's designed so that each time a weapon or object that uses remote for aiming is activated, the remote's initial position in space (regardless of the remote's orientation) will become the center of aiming. If you felt like you initiated the aiming in an awkward position, you simply move the remote where you want the center to be and press down on the d-pad to recenter. Honestly, it's pretty intuitive. It's just the assumption of already knowing the controls and insisting that's the way the game works is what I think people are having a hard time with. The sword play itself is fun, but honestly I love the way they made the shield more active. I think a lot of people at first will ignore using the shield because it requires as much precision as the sword, but later on the shield is an equal part to combat and adds layers to gameplay.

The game also looks very beautiful. The impressionistic art style works really well in the low resolution that the Wii puts out. The visuals are low on textures but everything is well composed with eye-popping color. Honestly, I've grown tired of realistic, gritty, brown and grayish graphics. It's really nice that Nintendo identifies the Wii's weaknesses and finds ways to work around it. The game is fairly lengthy, I think it took me about 45-50 hours. There have been a lot of complaints that the game has a lot of filler and padding. What constitutes filler for some folk, I think, is when you're not in a dungeon. My argument is that I'm still playing Zelda and I'm enjoying it; the game never asked me to do non-Zelda things. I think it's silly to think that Zelda is only Zelda when you're in a dungeon. The game has a lot of side stuff to do and I found myself spending hours ignoring my main objective for a bit to interact with the rest of the game that isn't just dungeons. I think people who were in a rush to finish the game were annoyed the game was longer than they were anticipating. There was, however, one sequence that annoyed me, but it was just a small fraction of a greater experience. The dungeon design in this game is incredibly inventive. The dungeon maps are simplified without sacrificing great mechanics and design. There's a lot of creative gimmicks in each of the dungeons and they're all topped off with great boss battles.

The story is pretty interesting, especially the relationship that Zelda has with Link. Zelda plays a larger role in Skyward Sword than any other game, and it allows Link to become more responsive and expressive to that relationship despite being a mute. The overall story revolves around the forging with the Master Sword which has appeared in older Zelda games, so it makes Skyward Sword a prequel of sorts. The game truly feels like a legend by the end of it. If I ever go back to playing older Zelda games or newer ones that involve the Master Sword, I will look fondly back on the adventure and legend that forged the icon itself. It really is a fantastic game. The only real issue I had with the game is every time you find treasure, the game has to pause and tell you what it is and how many you collected. It only stops pausing when you find repeats of the same treasure, but once you turn of the game and turn it back on, it feels the need to tell you what the treasure is again and how many you have. It's a weird design decision that may have been intentional, but having 30+ unique treasure and making the game pause for all them was definitely an oversight.

Wii Hardware Bundle - Red
Wii Hardware Bundle - Red
57 used & new from $42.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Now is a good time to buy a Wii with this great bundle., November 8, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
It's been four years since the Wii first debuted but if you haven't jumped in on the bandwagon, now is a pretty good time to do so.

In the eyes of the public and industry alike, the Wii is seen as a very accessible gaming machine with games that are easy to pick up and play much like the original Nintendo Entertainment System was back in 1985. To a lot of gamers, though, they see the system as not having a lot of worthwhile titles to play. People are constantly saying their Wiis are in the closet or collecting dust. They're not lying. I have a lot of close friends who literally have their Wiis boxed up in their closets. The reasons are probably because of the Wii's lack of a unified online infrastructure or it's lowered graphically fidelity in comparison to this current gen's home consoles. But here I am, buying my second Wii.

I consider myself a hardcore but well-rounded gamer. I like playing the Call of Duty and Halo games that everyone else is playing but I love the Marios, Kirbys, Metroids, Zeldas, and just about everything else, too. The motion control of most games is tacked on and extremely gimmicky, but it can still provide for a very fun experience when done correctly. I'm also an extremely retroactive gamer. I love, love, love games of old and that's one of the biggest selling points of the Wii for me. I'm 22 years-old so a lot of these old games I play are first time experiences. The Virtual Console feature of the Wii is a very large library of old games you can download from the Wii's Shop Channel with a straightforward pay-per-title payment structure. You can download games from past Nintendo home consoles from the NES to the Nintendo 64. You can also download games from other non-Nintendo platforms such as the Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx, and even arcade. There are also Wii exclusive downloadable "Wiiware" games and a limited variety of apps such as Netflix so you can stream movies and TV if you're a subscriber to Netflix. So obviously lower quality graphics don't bother me, though, I must admit the maximum resolution that the Wii can output at 480p is rather disappointing, especially as time goes on. It won't bother a lot of people, especially kids, but I game on my PC too at super resolutions so I longingly wait for the day I can play my Nintendo games in HD. The overall reproduction of games in the Virtual Console though is mostly spot on, which is more than I can say for a lot of other retro ports of classics. The Wii can also play Gamecube games by simply inserting the games and plugging in a Gamecube controller. One thing that is a bit disappointing is that not all old games are on the Virtual Console. Nintendo tries to release more when they can but it can be hard for them at times due to licensing royalties and fees, especially when the license holding companies don't exist anymore and multiple parties own the rights.

Anyways, that's my opinion of the Wii in general. Here's some of this product's specifics:

25th Anniversary Wii Bundle

What makes this bundle different than other current Wii bundles is that the system and included remote/nunchuck are Red to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the release of the NES and Super Mario Bros. I'm guessing because Mario's clothing is mostly red but it's a unique and supposedly limited color for the Wii. The bundle also comes with two games: New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Sports. The other bundles (Black or White) come with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. You may or may not have already played Wii Sports which has fun pick-up-and-play games such as tennis or bowling. Wii Sports Resort is in the same style but has other games that utilize 1:1 motion such as sword fighting or archery. If you end up getting this bundle I highly recommend still getting Resort as you will get an additional Wii motion Plus attachment with the game. All bundles come with either a Wii motion Plus attachment (which gives the remote more accurate 1:1 detection and is required for some games such as Resort) or has it built in the remote.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

This game is in the same "2.5D" style of New Super Mario Bros. for the DS with it's 3D rendered visuals but classic 2D platforming of older Mario games. The games look very similar but the levels are largely different with the added option of 1 to 4 players. I loved the DS version but I thought that playing it with more people would get kind of frustrating. Well, it actually is, but in that kind of crazy, fun kind of way. You can cooperate and compete. Helping each other to make that distant platform or hog all the coins to yourself while throwing your brother or sister into a pit as you make your way to the end of the stage. I asked my family if they wanted to try playing the game with me and they did. The next day I didn't think to ask them again because I was interested in something else I was playing, but they actually asked me. I said no, so they proceeded to playing the game, just three of my family members. Turns out they ended up beating the game without me that night. I was surprised but maybe I shouldn't have been. It's a really great game that recalls what made games so fun and simple 25 years ago. If you don't already have a Wii this is a good bundle simply for this game. It actually reminds of the old system bundles we used to get those years ago.

EDIT: Both Wii Sports and New Super Mario Bros. Wii come in cardboard sleeves rather than plastic casing. The bundle still comes with a New Super Mario Bros. Wii manual identical to that of a stand alone game along with identical inserts. Check out Wiiboxart.com if you're interested in printing out a case cover and keep in mind that the stand alone version has a red case.

Some Miscellaneous info:

If you're interested in purchasing games of the Wii Shop channel the pricing structure is as follows:

Commodore 64 500 points

SNES 800

Neo Geo 900

Nintendo 64 1000

Arcade 500

Each point is essentially 1 cent so 1000 points is $10. You can purchase points directly online in the Shop Channel of the Wii or at retail in a pre-paid card. Just keep in mind that you can only purchase points in increments of 500 and tax is added where applicable.

Some titles I would like to recommend:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Rated E)
Super Mario Galaxy (E)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (E)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (T)
Wii Sports Resort (E)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (T)
Kirby's Epic Yarn (E)
Super Smash Bros (T)
Pikmin (E)
Klonoa (E10)
Super Paper Mario (E)
Edit, games since released after review:
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Goldeneye
Epic Mickey
Sonic Colors (I love this game!)
Comment Comments (20) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2012 6:35 PM PDT

Wii Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Arcade FightStick
Wii Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Arcade FightStick
Offered by tmgames
Price: $129.99
10 used & new from $69.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong here., January 27, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First of all, I'm not gonna comment on the quality of components. There's plenty of that around. But you're probably wondering why you should spend $30 more on this thing over a Hori fighting stick, especially if you're going to customize the parts yourself, right? Well the biggest difference that most people seem to forget is that the stick comes fitted with a toggle that will allow you to map the stick to work as either the right stick, left stick, or D-pad on the Classic Controller. Meaning that, yes, you can play games like Smash Bros. with this. I think most fighting game aficionados could care less but the option is nice.

So yeah, this is a great stick at a reasonable price. I personally like the color scheme, matte feel, and the artwork. Oh, and the box looks really nice.

Games I tested this product on:

Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mega Man 2
Gunstar Heroes

All played great.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2010 4:37 PM PST