Profile for Enigma > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Enigma RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mama
Mama
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined to become a horror classic, May 10, 2013
This review is from: Mama (Amazon Instant Video)
It's been said that no language can express the full power of a mother's love. It shrinks not where man cowers, grows stronger where man faints, and shines the fire of its quenchless fidelity like a shooting star. That is the depth of a mother's love. But what happens when that natural, pure, loving instinct is thwarted? That twisted answer is at the heart of this frightening movie. Scary movies are my 'thing,' and it's so rare to find a truly ingenious one that can capture my attention...and hold it. "Mama" is such a movie. I was captivated from the first scene to the ending credits. This movie is destined to become a horror classic.

Jane Eyre
Jane Eyre
DVD ~ George C. Scott
Price: $14.93
19 used & new from $5.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Compared To My Old VHS Version, October 25, 2012
This review is from: Jane Eyre (DVD)
This version of Jane Eyre is my most favorite movie of all time. George C. Scott plays Rochester like no other actor ever could...he is absolutely magnificent and it's easy to understand why he was nominated for an Emmy for his portrayal of the tormented, haunted Rochester. And, while Susannah York is older than Jane in Bronte's book, she is wonderful in the role as Jane. Together, the chemistry between Scott and York is wondrous to behold. Now combine the musical score with great acting, and watching this movie becomes an event, not just a viewing.

I agree with others that the quality of this DVD is not the best. However, I have this movie on VHS and the DVD quality compared to VHS is far superior. I do hope at some point the movie is remastered again and the quality improved. However, until then, I shall continue to be enthralled with this movie, this music, this marvelous combination of talented actors and the amazing love story they weave. This movie captured my heart decades ago and the love spell continues.

The Thirst for Wholeness: Attachment, Addiction, and the Spiritual Path
The Thirst for Wholeness: Attachment, Addiction, and the Spiritual Path
by Christina Grof
Price: $12.64
88 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Book for Those Seeking a Deeper Connection with Themselves, October 31, 2006
Everyone I know is addicted to something: control, power, self-centeredness, alcohol, drugs, food, sex, beauty, body image, jobs, other people...the list goes on and on. The world is not an easy place in which to "be". The reality is that we are living in a world full of broken people "where men who are fractions imagine themselves to be complete," as Joseph Campbell wrote. We live in an age where man is more profoundly a stranger to his own soul than at any other time in history.

On the other hand, millions of individuals are undergoing life altering transformations, thanks to the many tools for self exploration available today. One of those tools is this book. Grof, like few other authors, gets to the root causes of society dis-ease: the spiritual thirst of our being for wholeness. This book is not about religion, but instead is a soulful description of the spiritual journey.

If you are a counselor, you need this book. If you are searching for healing from any type of addiction, or feel a stranger inside your own skin, you need this book. On some level, we could all benefit from embracing the message contained within its pages.

Our entire journey through life is a heroic journey toward home -- our True Self. As T.S. Eliot writes,

"We shall not cease from exploration

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time."

The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
by Janet Bray Attwood
116 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Love What You Do....Do What You Love, May 11, 2006
It has taken me half a century to come to the realization that I was so unhappy in my job (computer geek) because it wasn't something I really enjoyed. That conclusion may be elementary, but, in a society that touts material gain above all, the thought of leaving a high-income job for a field that pays peanuts was significantly daunting. This book brandishes high the uncommon philosophy that the important things in your life, be they career, marriage, relationships, parenting or simply living, should "put a fire in your belly." I wish I'd read this book decades ago. The test contained within helps one come face to face with conclusions perhaps long ignored, or never even contemplated. I encourage those who may be struggling with lack of direction, job potential, a relationship quandry or a sense of hopelessness in any venture of life to explore this book with an open mind and allow it to help lead you to an epiphany by which you may say, "I finally know my destiny!"

A Year in the World: Journeys of A Passionate Traveller
A Year in the World: Journeys of A Passionate Traveller
by Frances Mayes
309 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanderlust embraced, March 14, 2006
What I loved so much about this book is the passionate imagery which Mayes incorporates into her writing. Hayes weaves a rich tapestry that entices the senses as she describes the sights, smells, textures, tastes and sounds of places few have visited, yet most dream of. I am also impressed that Hayes does not concentrate on the ordinary tourist attractions, but instead submerges herself in the local culture and, by doing so, grants her readers a depth of insight that fuels our own wanderlust. As an enthusiastic mental traveler who has physically visited only a few of Hayes' destinations, this book heightened my commitment to pack my bags as soon as possible for another magical adventure abroad. Ciao!

Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness
Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness
by Jon Kabat-Zinn
Price: $24.95
153 used & new from $0.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangers to Our Souls, February 4, 2006
In Zinn's chapter, `Meditation is Not for the Fainthearted,' he writes:

"Awareness offers a safe haven in which to restore ourselves and rest in a vital and dynamic harmony, tranquility, creativity and joyfulness NOW, not in some far-off hoped for future time when things are `better' or we have gotten things under control, or have `improved ourselves.'

This sentence sums up the philosophy of Zinn's eagerly awaited book, and very effectively gets to the crux of what lies at the "dis-eased" heart of our society. As a mental health/drug counselor who daily witnesses the destitution found in the souls of my clients, and in the past my own, I became mesmerized by Zinn's "mindfulness" concept in his book, "Wherever You Go, There You Are." My life was so profoundly changed by utilizing that concept, I enthusiastically added Zinn's works to the suggested reading list for my clients. And, after reading this sequel, I have gratefully added it to that list as well. Zinn states our absorption with the future and the past has become such an overriding habit that awareness, and more importantly, connectedness with the present is completely lacking. Technology was created to make our lives easier and bring our world closer...thus providing more time to connect with self and greater intimacy with our fellows. Ironically, the exact opposite has occurred. Never in history has man been such a stranger to his own soul. Zinn's book not only shares the recipe for healing that estrangement...mindfulness...but leads the reader through the steps to accomplish that healing...meditation. For readers who may believe meditation to be "new agey" or "out there," rest assured Zinn uses practical, proven methods of meditation that are easy to follow and will be appreciated by those who embrace their spiritual side and by atheists as well. Voltaire once wrote, "We never live; we are always in the expectation of living." Zinn, thankfully, proves Voltaire wrong.

A Million Little Pieces
A Million Little Pieces
by James Frey
Price: $10.64
2463 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars TRUTH MATTERS, January 26, 2006
While Frey's book may be an exciting read, it was also touted as being 'autobiographical.' Therefore, as a drug/alcohol counselor, I was horrified to hear Frey's admission that he "embellished"....or in more honest terms, lied, about every single character and most of the incidents in his book....all the while decrying the efficacy of every 12-step program and the Higher Power at the core of them. One of the most difficult tasks an addiction counselor has is that of breaking through a client's lies regarding their life. As noted in an editorial in the Baltimore Sun Times, "The hard work of recovery depends more than anything else on confronting the truth of what we are and what we have done, trying to make amends to those we have harmed and beginning to live our lives with transparent honesty." Mr. Frey's rationalization for his actions is that, because many people have been helped by his book, the embellishments don't matter. The reaction to this justification by the addicts at my drug/alcohol treatment center speaks volumes to the contrary....they feel terribly betrayed. One recovering addict expressed it best, "Lying is easy...telling the truth, so difficult." I won't enable Frey's lies, which have already made him rich, by recommending this book to anyone.

City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #2)
City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #2)
by Dean Koontz
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
313 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, the Agony....the Agoooony, August 9, 2005
When I finished Book Two and saw the third, and final, installment isn't due out until Summer, 2006, I almost cursed....not quite, but almost. :) How can I possibly wait an entire year to find out if the world is destroyed by the ghastly New Race, if Frankenstein is finally killed, whether the monster-becoming human Deucalion finds permanent peace within himself at long last, and whether Carson and Michael retire as cops and open a toy store together, while still hoarding their high-caliber weapons? The loose ends are causing me significant agony! For readers who have not yet immersed themselves in Koontz's Frankenstein trilogy, you of course will not understand my angst. Therefore, allow me to invite you to share my pain by joining me, along with the multitude of other readers who are smitten with this trilogy, in reading one of Koontz's finest edge-of-your-seat thrillers.

The story picks up where Book One left off....with Frankenstein's two-hundred year old monster, who now calls himself Deucalion (Doo-`Cay-Lee-Un -- after the mythological Greek son of Prometheus who became the father of the renewed human race), plotting to destroy the eternally young Frankenstein, who now calls himself Victor Helios. The emotional tapestry woven between Deucalion and the other main characters provides a gripping backdrop to the upcoming Apocalypse between mankind (the Old Race) and Frankenstein's engineered super-creations (the New Race) who number in the thousands, have an insatiable desire to kill all humans in the most gruesome way possible, and are all going haywire in various and horrific fashion.

I once again applaud Koontz's ability to draw me into each and every chapter....and then leave me hanging in breathless anticipation as he hops back and forth between the mini-plots of other characters. The only frustration I experienced during this unending sense of emotional foreplay was my overwhelming urge to read more about the often tender, poignant, haunted and sometimes brutal Deucalion....in this regard, Koontz's teasing left me frustrated. I fervently hope Deucalion plays a greater role in the final book, as he is indeed the Old Race's Champion, who should be paramount and center stage throughout the upcoming holocaust. My only other request would be that Koontz release Book Three no later than next week!

Second Glance: A Novel (Picoult, Jodi)
Second Glance: A Novel (Picoult, Jodi)
by Jodi Picoult
Price: $40.44
99 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Do we love across Time....or in spite of it?, July 28, 2005
As someone who finds the supernatural absolutely fascinating, I have always found Picoult's novels intriguing. However, unlike some of her other works, this novel is a slow starter. No less than 20 characters are introduced in the first few chapters of the book and it is sometimes tedious to remember who is who. That being said, the characters finally begin to mesh and flow...the dross drains away and the pure gold of Picoult's writing talent emerges.

As a hopeful romantic, I am drawn to the main character, Ross Wakeman, who has experienced love so profound it permeates to the bone. Once love on that level is experienced, and then lost, life's orchestral crescendo fades into a single note of woeful desperation and despondency. A suicide attempt seems the only answer...not once, not twice, but thrice. The enthralling encounter that enables Ross to knit together the broken pieces of his life is central to the plot of the book, and every bit as exciting as the ghosts who also haunt the pages. Ultimately, Ross learns the enigmatic truth that life isn't defined by the moment one dies, but by all the moments one truly lives.

"True love is like ghosts, which everybody talks about and few have ever seen."

Grown-Up Marriage: What We Know, Wish We Had Known, and Still Need to Know About Being Married
by Judith Viorst
Price: $15.63
100 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Marital Must Read, July 28, 2005
This book should be compulsory reading for any couple contemplating marriage. In a sometimes gut-wrenching analysis of modern marriage, Viorst spells out the fallacies of our society's view on marital bliss in a way that will challenge and, on occasion, shock you with its ability to reflect your own romantic relationship.

One of the most provocative chapters is, "The First Shocks of Marriage." This chapter outlines the expectations we bring into marriage and the feelings of betrayal that result when those expectations are invariably, and sometimes brutally, crushed. As a divorced, middle-aged woman with many female friends who maintain a 'revolving door' of romantic relationships, the concept of feeling emotionally betrayed is one that will speak to every woman...and should be understood by every man. Viorst cites the common female viewpoint that "marriage should be nothing less than love, adoration, companionship, physical intimacy, emotional availability, respect, humor and tolerance." And the male viewpoint Viorst cites is one that expects a wife to "respect his need for autonomy and give him plenty of room to do his own thing." Yet, if anything, the reality of marriage teaches us that we often won't get all, or even some, of what we expected.

One lesson every individual who reads this book should learn, and learn, and learn yet once again, is that marriage is work...Work...WORK. This book, like no other I have read, made me question whether I'm up to it. :-) It also made me realize that, when it does work, when both halves of the couple (not either/or) are willing to work diligently at keeping the dream alive, the reward is priceless.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3