Profile for D. Elston > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Elston "Supersport" RSS Feed (Houston, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
27 x 40 Inception Movie Poster
27 x 40 Inception Movie Poster
Offered by Backlot Art
Price: $16.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable print quality, but not the best available, September 10, 2014
The Image is great, however the print quality is definitely not. It's passable for my home theater from a distance (maybe >6 feet) however when looked at in closer proximity, lines and the red "INCEPTION" lettering are not crisp. There are also some vertical streaks that run the length of the poster that appear to be from the printing process, almost like an inkjet printer when it begins to run low on a color of ink. These are not terribly noticeable unless you really get close (as I was when I was inspecting my framing job).

For what it's worth I've had far worse looking replicas of official posters show up on my doorstep, and far better as well. This one is sort of a middle quality, hence 3 stars. For the $16 I paid, it'll do; if you just want something affordable that looks decent this works, but you may be able to find better versions of the same image if you're looking for top notch quality.

GoPro HERO3+: Black Edition
GoPro HERO3+: Black Edition
Price: $399.99
25 used & new from $354.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a fantastic product with only a few minor issues., August 31, 2014
I bought a GoPro 3+ Black edition for a diving trip I just took...the following bullets are my observations and opinions formed while using it.

Pros:
* The image quality is superb. I've not owned any other GoPro's, but the black edition 3+ is fantastic.

* Water proof case is included. It feels odd the first time you bring this in the ocean or pool...hoping that the seal is working. The best part is it'll come back with underwater video quality far surpassing what you can imagine. It's good to 131 feet...if you plan to dive that deep with it bring some extra light :)

* At 1080p 60 FPS, fast motion (zip lining, driving, motorcycling etc.) are captured in all their various glory.

* Black edition has a remote included, 70$ extra if you buy it separately.

* SUPERVIEW!!! I love it, I pretty much never turned it off...it's so much more impressive of a view than those without it.

* Time lapse is super useful. I took this on a cruise and used the suction cup attachment to capture sunsets and sunrises from our balcony's glass handrail.

* Wifi is a neat feature. I use it to send a signal to my iPhone so I can see what the camera is seeing helping me set up the shot. I then turn it off (see Cons about this) as it is a total drain on the battery. The app also allows you to review (in lower quality) the videos and pics currently on the GoPro's card, you can even delete them if you like. The remote works on wifi as well which is a shame...I feel like if they'd have gone with Bluetooth (despite it needing another radio) for the remote it would be better on the battery.

* The amount of attachments available for the GoPro line of cameras is staggering. You can mount this to anything if you come prepared. I should also mention that every attachment both OEM and AEM are priced fairly and from those that I've bought are good quality. This is something to consider when looking at GoPro competitors cameras (Sony, Rollei, Polaroid etc.)

* Charges via mini USB, no proprietary chargers (Hallelujah!), though the remote has its own charger...

* Micro USB, some may consider this a Con, but most come with an SD converter card, so I see this as a PRO.

* Quality construction. The camera is solidly built.

* Super wide angle view, I think it's something over 170 degrees...captures way more than I thought it could on the sides if you have it in wide mode.

Cons:
* The 3+ has 4K...but at a totally useless 15FPS. This is just so they can say "4K". I assume the Hero 4 will include 4K at 30fps. Until then don't kid yourself into thinking the 4K is a useful feature.

* The battery life is terrible. I realize this is noticeably better than a Hero 3, but it's still pitiful. I changed batteries 3 times a day with average use of video and time lapses. I was constantly worried about the timing for when to start the time lapse sequences so the battery wouldn't run out before I wanted it. You'll be hard pressed to get more than about 2 hours out of a NEW battery. This may be a showstopper for many people, so before you pounce be prepared to juggle batteries.

* The interface to change options takes some getting used to. It's only got really two buttons to fiddle with, so if you're trying to make some changes you find yourself scrolling through the list of options again and again as you accidentally click past the one you want. The smartphone App helps alleviate this problem.

* I found myself accidentally taking stills when I wanted to video, or vice versa...If you have it mounted to a helmet or something where you can't easily see what mode it's in, it's tough not to miss some shots because it's still in the Wifi "off" menu, or on a burst mode instead of video. One guy I was with lost an entire set of videos due to his camera not being full closed out of the settings menu...it never recorded when he touched the record button. What a shame. I'd like to see GoPro add a double-tap feature to make it drop out of whatever menu it's in and start a video etc.

* The remote and smartphone are a pain to link to the GoPro each time. You have to turn on the wifi on the camera, tell your phone to use the GoPro's wifi signal, open the app, tell it to control the camera...seems simple, until you realize these steps each take time for a camera that lends itself to capturing the moment.

Final Comments:
I love this thing. It doesn't replace a DSLR's best qualities by any means, but serves a different purpose altogether. If you want to capture a unique perspective as you have your fun, GoPro is worth checking out. And with that, I would go with the Black edition...Superview alone is worth the price differences between the editions. Just be ready with charged extra batteries.

Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Dual Charger for GoPro Hero3, Hero3+ and GoPro AHDBT-201, AHDBT-301, AHDBT-302, AHBBP-301
Offered by Blue Nook
Price: $22.99
4 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than OEM. Easy choice., August 31, 2014
These batteries are slightly larger than the GoPro official batteries. Frankly I see no need to buy any other sets of batteries as these work as good or better than the OEM batteries. The charger is mini-USB and is tiny itself, and fits well in small GoPro cases. Get one!

POV Case 3.0 Small GoPro-edition Black (for HD Hero 1,2 3,3+)
POV Case 3.0 Small GoPro-edition Black (for HD Hero 1,2 3,3+)
Price: $21.71
30 used & new from $8.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to contain all those tiny GoPro knick-knacks, August 31, 2014
This case is a good general case for carrying all the little tiny accessories, SD cards, batteries, clips etc. that are inherent to the GoPro. It's NOT big enough to carry a selfie pole, suction cup or other larger attachments. The case just works well as it's semi-rigid, with tough mesh material covering it and sturdy zipper to join the two halves. The foam inside is pre-cut to fit the any GoPro Hero, from 1 to 3+. There's a mesh sleeve for cables and other odd sized things to fit as well.

GoPro Floaty Backdoor
GoPro Floaty Backdoor
Price: $10.99
27 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple solution, works perfect., August 31, 2014
This accessory is sort of an insurance policy when you take your GoPro diving. I took this diving with a POV pole attached and while it didn't have enough added buoyancy to float with the pole attached, it make the sinking speed MUCH slower. When the GoPro camera is by itself or with a small surfing clip, it'll float to the surface easily.

Honestly, the only thing I can think to gripe about is that it comes in pieces, so you are left to have to attach the sticky tape to the GoPro's backdoor. When I did it, I placed it too high such that the water proof case's clamp snags the top of the floaty material when I close it up. Minor, but I would double check if I did it again, so definitely check the clamp's fit when you attach yours.

Gator Crunch USB Charge Cable for Nintendo 3DS/DSi/XL (Lifetime Warranty, Bulk Packaging)
Offered by Tom's Cabin
Price: $5.63
13 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, good length for charging while playing., August 31, 2014
Worked just fine and I'm able to play my 3DS XL while it's charging via USB. Just what I needed.

Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 600x 64GB UHS-I Mobile Flash Memory Card (LSDMI64GBSBNA600R)
Offered by Unique Photo, Inc.
Price: $99.00
7 used & new from $82.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. Blistering fast read/write speeds, August 31, 2014
Wow. This card screams. Using it for GoPro 3+, and my God. I've never realized how fast these things have gotten until I transferred my huge movie files...it'll do 3-4 GB in a matter of a few seconds when plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

The only thing I can say that would make this pack better would be to have a full size SD converter card included instead of the USB adapter so that I can use it in my DSLR when the GoPro is not being used. But for the card itself, easy choice.

Moon Monkey Exquisite 3.5 Mm Outside Diameter Male to Male Flat Line Design Stereo Audio Cable for Aux Automobile Mp3 Cd Player Laptop or Mobile Phone (1m)
Offered by DealPe
Price: $9.94
3 used & new from $9.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Works., August 31, 2014
It's a cable, it's flat and it works as it should. Not much to say here other than having a 90 degree end is nice to keep from stressing the jack as the cable gets tugged on.

3" Aluminum Corner Clamp - 4 pack
3" Aluminum Corner Clamp - 4 pack
Offered by BestChoiceMart
Price: $20.99
2 used & new from $20.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, sorta flimsy, but they work., August 31, 2014
These are extremely cheap. I got four for something the price I would pay for a similar one at Home Depot or Lowes. They did the job I needed them to do but they're pretty flimsy. Were I building some real nice piece of furniture, I think I'd probably pay the extra money to get sturdier clamps.

But hey, they did the job.

inFAMOUS: Second Son Limited Edition (PlayStation 4)
inFAMOUS: Second Son Limited Edition (PlayStation 4)
Offered by Everything Distributors
Price: $66.55
71 used & new from $29.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but repetitive. It lost my attention pretty quickly., August 12, 2014
The first two installments are purely why I purchased this game...and because I'm a sucker for good flashy graphics.

What I liked:
* The combat was not just a total breeze, you definitely have to maneuver, retreat, advance and have some level of strategy to do well.
* The environment is excellently detailed and lively. Certainly a lot going on here. The weather and general mood of everything seems to change from time to time.
* The upgrade system in general is a good concept.
* General polish of the game is high.

What I didn't like so much:
* The story was forgettable, though I admittedly didn't finish it because...
* The game was so repetitive, with my very limited time to play, I found more interesting games to play. You essentially do the same thing over and over, open a new zone, get a new power, then run the same 4 side missions to run the baddies out of that area. Rinse and repeat. While the other games did this, I somehow didn't find it as entertaining this time around. This was the main reason I give it a low score. It's just bland after the 4th or 5th time you've blasted into and freed up a zone...run after the same disappearing spy, search for some hidden camera, and spray painted some silly graphic on a billboard press-fit in the game to showcase the fact that the DS4 controller has motion sensitivity.
* The power progression is quite slow, it seems like I was yawning over a particular power LONG before something new was added to my arsenal.
* The karma system felt very muted compared to Infamous 1 & 2. It creeps along so slowly that I resorted to hacking up crowds of bystanders to gain points. This too has the same limited scope as the previously mentioned side missions: for the bad side you basically stop some protesters, defeat a few cops and execute instead of save baddies. Pretty limited after you do it 50 times.
* The main character didn't really matter to me. He sort of stumbled on his powers and started shooting things...I also missed the comic relief that was Zeke from the first game.

The Final Word:
I didn't by any means hate the game, but I didn't find a reason to keep it. I found myself thinking down the road "when I am switching to a PS5, is this one that will keep my booting up my old PS4?" The short answer is no, I don't think I'll miss it as it didn't add a lot to my PS4 experience.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2014 12:59 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5