Profile for Sidney W. Frost > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 129

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sidney W. Frost RSS Feed (Georgetown, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Last Words
Last Words
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Latest Bonnie Hearn Hill Thriller is Thrilling, June 28, 2014
This review is from: Last Words (Kindle Edition)
Abby Walsh has a special gift, one she inherited from her father, Hal. However, she's reluctant to use this talent.

Her father is a graphologist for an investigation firm in San Francisco. Most graphologists study handwriting to analyze a writer's character, personality, skills, etc. Hal and Abby have the ability to touch the handwritten words and become the person who wrote the words. Perhaps a bit farfetched, but Bonnie Hearn Hill handles it in a way that made me wonder if it could be possible.

Abby has been discouraged from using her gift, first by her mother who used a hot iron to drive the evil spirits out of her, and then by her husband, now ex-husband, who wanted her to see a psychiatrist. Instead of using her special talent, Abby works as a 911 dispatcher.

While visiting her ex-husband, she gets a call from a coworker telling her they'd had an emergency call to her father's address. When she gets to the scene and sees what has happened and touches the note, she knows what she has to do.

The characters came alive for me as I read this exciting thriller. I was drawn into the story quickly, and wasn't let go until the last page. Excellent!

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald
Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald
by Therese Fowler
Price: $18.78
115 used & new from $3.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Interesting, May 22, 2014
This is a fictionalized account of the life of Scott Fitzgerald's wife Zelda. It was an interesting time and the author uses letters, news accounts and interviews to provide new information about the period. Includes insights into the relationship between Ernest Hemingway and the Fitzgerald's as well as their time in Europe and Hollywood.

Foolproof Kindle Outline: Create An Effective Outline Fast For Your Kindle Non-Fiction Book (The Foolproof Kindle Series 3)
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not About Kindle, May 22, 2014
I felt the title was a bit misleading. The only references to Kindle in the book was to mention the author's other books. This book contained very basic information about outlining and outlining tools.

Canon PowerShot SX280 12MP Digital Camera with 20x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3-Inch LCD (Red)
Offered by Beach Camera
Price: $215.00
22 used & new from $169.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I Love Cannon, May 22, 2014
PowerShot gets better and better. What I like about this one is the 20X optical zoom. I've used it to get photos of birds that are much better than the 10X I had before. The photo quality is better than a larger, more expensive camera I use. This one is a little heavier than other travel cameras I've had but so far it has been worth it

101 Ways To Get More Facebook Likes
101 Ways To Get More Facebook Likes
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Information, May 22, 2014
Well written and easy to follow. The author gives solid advice, not tricks. He provides details about increasing likes that will last and perhaps lead to sales. Each tip is short making it possible to read quickly.

Death Blade
Death Blade
by Peg Case
22 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Read, May 22, 2014
This review is from: Death Blade (Paperback)
I love a mystery solved by an amateur, especially when it involves interesting characters. This one included some inside information about sword fighting and stage work. The book was difficult to put down.

Island of Vice: Theodore Roosevelt's  Quest to Clean Up Sin-Loving New York
Island of Vice: Theodore Roosevelt's Quest to Clean Up Sin-Loving New York
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars History Comes Alive, May 22, 2014
The author used newspaper accounts and letters written by Theodore Roosevelt to tell about his time as one of the police commissioners in New York City. It is a history of New York in 1895, before Roosevelt moved onto the national political scene.

Too Early for Flowers:  The Story of a Polio Mother
Too Early for Flowers: The Story of a Polio Mother
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend everyone read it, April 25, 2014
Here is a book I recommend everyone read. It has historical significance as well as characters you'll love and feel you know by the time you get to the end.

This story caught my attention because I grew up at a time when children got polio. One person I knew who had polio was in my Boy Scout troop. He wore leg braces to school, but eventually quit the scouts. Perhaps it was too painful for him. I remember thinking of polio as a scary thing, but never really thought it could happen to me. This book makes me wonder what the mothers of the time were thinking. In Kurt Sipolski's fictional account of growing up with polio, he gives us the viewpoint of his mother, and how she helped him succeed in life.

The story takes place between 1940 and 1998. Still, it is a short book, less than a hundred pages. It jumped around in a couple of places and I wished for more details in other places. But, when I got to the end, I felt what was included was just right.

The author included realistic references to people, events, places and items of the times: Segregation, wars, politics, politicians, movies, movie stars, automobiles, Dr. Salk, March of Dimes, radium watches, Australia, and Paris. All these made the story ring true for me and could be educational for younger readers.

The Turning
The Turning
Price: $7.39

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Davis Bunn Novel (So Far), April 8, 2014
This review is from: The Turning (Kindle Edition)
When Global Communications kicked off an elaborate marketing scheme called "Hope is dead" aimed at Generation Xers and Millennials, an unlikely group of individuals came together in a way that could only be described as a work of God.

From Cleveland, John Jacobs, a trucking manager with a past he was ashamed of. From Baltimore, Alisha Seames, a single woman who helped an ungrateful sister through college. From Orlando, Jenny Linn, a young woman unsure what to do with her life. From Westchester County, New York, Ruth Barrett, the window of a well-known evangelist. Yussuf Alwan, formerly a surgeon in Syria, now working toward getting licensed to practice in the U.S.

They were all led by God to a place at the same time and they felt compelled to respond to the marketing scheme, even though doing so brought hardships including job loss. Ruth invited them all to go with her to Barret Ministries, including John's wife, Jenny's parents and Yussuf's friend. Each person brought a special talent to the group.

It wasn't a simple good versus evil story, though. Trent Cooper, the project manager for the marketing scheme initially came across as someone the reader should care about. He had lived a tough life, including being born with a cleft palate and having nine surgeries over the years. Still, he worked his way up the corporate ladder. At first I found myself rejecting the idea that he was the villain, and then when I knew he was, I wanted him to change, to find the love of God.

This is the sixth Davis Bunn novel I have read and I've loved them all for various reasons. However, this is my favorite one.

I received a complimentary copy of The Turning from River North Fiction in exchange for my honest review.

Poisons: A Reference for Writers
Poisons: A Reference for Writers

5.0 out of 5 stars For Fiction Only, March 10, 2014
This was exactly what I needed to know for a mystery I'm writing. The author gave a wide variety of ways to poison someone without getting too technical. It was a bit scary how easy it would be to use some of these techniques. Remember, this is for writers only and for make believe situations.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13