Profile for Lewis Rose > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 44

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lewis Rose RSS Feed (North Potomac, MD United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Lions of Lucerne (Scot Harvath Book 1)
The Lions of Lucerne (Scot Harvath Book 1)
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars scot is cool, June 22, 2014
Nice page turner. Not the best of its genre but promising elements are included. Will read the next in the series.

Panasonic DVD-LV60 5.8-Inch Portable DVD Player
Panasonic DVD-LV60 5.8-Inch Portable DVD Player
4 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy this DVD player, February 3, 2002
My wife gave me this DVD player as a gift for the holidays. I was really surprised. I've gone on several business trips with it and have truly loved having it with me. The picture is very sharp. The unit is small, about the size of a walkman or so. The battery lasts around 4 and one half hours, or enough for two average movies. I've dropped it twice now with no damage. The sound is pretty good without earphones and very good with earphones (none come with the unit which is my only complaint).
The remote works great. And since the unit plugs into my home TV, the Panasonic DVD-LV60 doubles as my home DVD player as well!
In short, it is lightweight yet durable with a sharp picture and very good sound. A terrific item!

...All This Time
...All This Time
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $10.18
212 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Builds and Binds, January 28, 2002
This review is from: ...All This Time (Audio CD)
Much has been made of the fact that this CD was recorded on September 11, 2001. While some have argued that Sting should have stopped the performance, in fact, I am glad he did not. The CD builds from Fragile, through 1000 Years, Perfect Love Gone Wrong, and All This Time. As Hounds of Winter ends, the band starts to play a little bit louder on Don't Stand So Close To Me. The feeling starts to gel through When We Dance and Dienda. As Dylan and other have done before him, Sting reinvents some of this greatest hits. Roxanne captures a lot of the angst in the original but sounds even more mournful. (If You Love Somebody) Set Them Free displays the true joy of the lyrics. By the time Sting performs Brand New Day, Fields of Gold, Moon Over Bourbon Street, If I Ever Lose My Faith In You and finished with Every Breath You Take, I am just in awe of how great the music feels.
An interesting sidenote (at least to me). This is one CD that I like to listen to from the beginning through to the end. I don't like to skip around the tunes at all because I have the sense that Sting was after something special in his song selection and order.

The Green Mile
The Green Mile
DVD ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by lotusgames
Price: $5.23
604 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivated me and still lurking, January 28, 2002
This review is from: The Green Mile (DVD)
I did not read the book so I can't opine on the relative merits of the movie and the book. I can say, however, that from the first scene to the last, this movie grabbed me. I found the story to be interesting and compelling and the acting to be terrific. While much attention is on Tom Hanks, I really thought Michael Clarke Duncan was the key to the movie. (He's not really that big in real life is he? How did they do that?).
If, like me, you stayed away from this movie because you did not want to watch a movie purportedly about a child molester or brutal prison guards, give this movie a second chance. The direction is nearly flawless. I loved it! It is not a bold prediction to believe that you will too.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
by Michael Chabon
637 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A peak at a slice of NYC life in the 1940s, December 4, 2001
In this book, Chabon provides a tantalizing array of characters going about their lives in Europe and NYC during 1940s. Much of the book is about the growth of the comic book industry and its role in American propoganda preceding and during WW2 but to say that this is a book about the golden age of the comic book industry would be missing the point. Much of the book is also about the central character's dream of rescuing his family from Hitler's war machine but again to say that this is a book about Jewish American families preceding and during WW2 would be missing the point. Much of the book is about one character's search for his sexual identity in a society that was not tolerant but to say that this is a book about a gay man's life in the 1940s would be missing the point.
As other reviewers note, this is a long and meandering work that earned the author a Pulitzer Prize. Chabon writes beautifully and this reader found himself lost in world of historical fiction in which this work is set. The pace is terrific and the story is not only entertaining but educational.
This is the first Chabon book I have read. I plan to read all of his other work now which I suppose says it all.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade - Old Version
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade - Old Version
21 used & new from $25.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved over Windows 98, November 3, 2001
I bought and installed Windows XP Home edition on the 2nd day of its sale. The best thing about it is its stability. I have yet to see the blue screen of death or to have my system crash. One or two times a program seemed to misfire under XP but the operating system just closed the program and reopened it without any impact on other programs and no need to reboot. Also, a consistent problem with "leaking system resources" I have experienced with every prior version of Windows appears to have been solved. That problem required me to reboot every day if I kept programs up and running as I would run out of system resources. Finally, Windows XP does a much better job of using the 256K of RAM I have installed on my machine. I never felt that I got the benefit of the extra 128K of RAM under W98. Big difference in response between the two operating systems.
That being said, it is a new operating system and a bit buggy. Hardware and software mfrs were all still not ready for the launch and have not yet issued updates to drivers and software so check that out carefully before you buy and install XP -- this may take a few months to settle in.

Pruning Made Easy: A Gardener's Visual Guide to When and How to Prune Everything, from Flowers to Trees (Storey's Gardening Skills Illustrated Series)
by Lewis Hill
Price: $14.66
107 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very helpful book, October 18, 2001
If you are like me, your attempts at pruning have largely been hit and miss affairs. Until I bought this book, I sort of guessed about how to prune the flowers and trees in my yard. This book shows you what to do and, just as importantly, what not to do. The chapters are set forth nicely, starting with instructions on why you should prune, the type of equipment you need and then how best to prune. After those three general introductions, the authors provide in-depth instructions, using drawings, about how to prune ornamental trees and shrubs, shade trees, evergreens, hedges, fruit trees, nut trees, vines and ground covers, garden plants, houseplants, and bonsai trees. There is even a chapter on "artistic pruning." And, for each plant type they also tell you when to prune.
A great book that covers what you need to know and then shows you how to do it, visually.

D-Link DSB-H4 4-Port USB 1.1 Hub
D-Link DSB-H4 4-Port USB 1.1 Hub
6 used & new from $7.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Just as Advertised, October 18, 2001
Plug it in and plug in your USB accessories and it works like a charm. No more fumbling in the back of your PC box to pull out the USB connector of an accessory you are not using to plug in one you want to use. The connections are in the front of the Dlink box. Good price compared to Linksys, Belkin and other competitive models. I am quite happy I bought this hub.

The Beatles 1
The Beatles 1
Offered by Ibiza Records
Price: $10.66
256 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It's no wonder that this CD has sold so well, October 17, 2001
This review is from: The Beatles 1 (Audio CD)
I've had this CD for many months now and it still blows me away. Song after song after song after song. You just start singing to Love Me Do and continue right through to the last word in The Long and Winding Road. Plus if you play this in your car CD with passengers you will find the whole car singing along with you. Everyone has their own favorite Beatles tunes so I won't go through the songlist other than to note that a follow up album with Beatles tunes that only hit the number 2 slot probably would be just as hot.
One final note that you should consider: This is not a best of the Beatles CD. It is a CD of their number one hits. If you want to hear Strawberry Fields or In My Life or Back in the USSR, this CD is not for you. But if you want to hear hit after hit after hit, no other CD on the market will do it for you like this one.
Enjoy!

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
3 used & new from $89.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit more than I needed, October 17, 2001
After using this keyboard for several months, I have concluded that while it works pretty much as promised, sometimes a company can take an uncomplicated product like a keyboard and goose it up so much that it becomes too complicated for its purpose. That is the case with this product. My keyboard rests in a drawer and the buttons at the top of the b61-00002 keyboard sometimes hit the top of the drawer starting my email program etc. Plus, I could never get the 2 USB ports to work properly. Finally, I don't type any faster on the "natural" keyboard and when friends and relatives use it, they complain bitterly. I should have stuck with a simple keyboard with all of these bells and whistles. My mistake. Not Microsoft's. But think about this before you buy this product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5