Profile for Jesse D. Walker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 471

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jesse D. Walker RSS Feed (Logan, UT)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Play-Doh Diggin' Rigs Buzzsaw Playset
Play-Doh Diggin' Rigs Buzzsaw Playset
Price: $13.99
7 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toy for my daughter., September 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Fun, and well built. Thoughtfully designed, with lots of options for extruding, cutting, and shaping the play-doh that comes with the set. I wish the containers were a bit larger, but oh well. At least the play-dog is included. My daughter loves it.

Kindle FreeTime Kid-Proof Case for the Kindle Fire HDX , Blue
Kindle FreeTime Kid-Proof Case for the Kindle Fire HDX , Blue
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $17.81

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice cover for the tablet., September 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A spongy but fairly stiff cover for the Kindle Fire HDX. It goes on pretty easily, but isn't too hard to get off. Older kids may be able to remove it if they tried? Otherwise, I feel like there's plenty of padding to help the device resist normal bumps and drops. Nothing covers the screen, and there's no flap of any kind, so what you see is what you get. The cutouts for the buttons are well placed, so things aren't too hard to reach, even though it does make them a bit recessed.

Sun Joe SB601E Sharper Blade Stringless Electric Trimmer/Edger
Sun Joe SB601E Sharper Blade Stringless Electric Trimmer/Edger
Price: $49.99
52 used & new from $41.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective. A bit heavy. No problems though., September 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used this a few times in my overgrown yard to cut down weeds and grass that were beyond the mower's capability. Worked fine. Better than the other electric trimmer I had used before, the Black & Decker ST1000 9-Inch 1.8 amp Electric Grass Trimmer. That one was pretty light duty, but this Sun Joe thing can handle quite a bit more.

The other one was wonderfully light though. By comparison, I was about done with this thing after 10 or 15 minutes of use. It gets heavy.

Not sure yet how I feel about the non-string blade. It seems to be holding up okay, and it's nice to not have to deal with the string, but I'll update this review if it gets to be a pain, or wears down too quickly.

Gain Flings Laundry Detergent Pacs, Original, 72 Count
Gain Flings Laundry Detergent Pacs, Original, 72 Count
Price: $17.97

2.0 out of 5 stars The stench: artificial and overwhelming., August 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Never again. I usually prefer unscented laundry detergents. Had a chance to try this one. I didn't think it would be this bad. There is no such thing as an artificial scent that is in any way good for you. Hooking people on the toxic "fresh scent" is the worst kind of marketing. It's unhealthy, and in this product, particularly overpowering. Not sure I'll continue to use this product, because my house is now filled with detergent-stench that needs to be aired out.

My clothes? Well, they look clean. The product seems to work. I didn't encounter any leftover plastic residue from the pods as others have complained about, so I guess that part of it worked too, and dissolved like it should in my front-loading HE machine. Then again, I've never had trouble with any other laundry soaps or detergents, so in the future, I'm back to things that aren't trying to kill me.

Mindfulness at Work For Dummies
Mindfulness at Work For Dummies
by Shamash Alidina
Price: $17.31
44 used & new from $11.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but get the author's general mindfulness book instead., August 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I found the "at work" focus to be... well... stupid. Yes, mindfulness helps in that environment. But it also helps with family, extracurriculars, social interactions, and so much more. I found the emphasis on work (to the exclusion of other situations) to be too restrictive. If your work is your life, then this book would be a good choice. If you have other interests and hobbies, and other places you spend some of your time, then the same author's Mindfulness For Dummies would most likely be a better choice (and is rated more highly). Mindfulness isn't something for just work. It's for life. All of it.

If you have that other book, or have a decent knowledge of mindfulness and have been practicing it regularly, then maybe this book would add a few things. It does focus on the business environment fairly well, and presents strategies that could help in work situations, specifically.

If you have access to this book already, it's not bad as an intro to mindfulness; it's just limited. If you want coverage of mindfulness in general, I think the author's other book would be a better choice, and wouldn't constantly feel like a sales pitch for the author's Mindfulness At Work Training program (MAWT, which you'll hear too much about in this book).

Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and What the Ocean Tells Us about Ourselves
Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and What the Ocean Tells Us about Ourselves
by James Nestor
Price: $17.08
49 used & new from $14.47

4.0 out of 5 stars It is what it says, but not more, unfortunately., August 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I guess a single book can't really do justice to the ocean. It covers 2/3 of the earth's surface and is important in so many ways. This book does a nice job covering a few of those ways. It's very human-centered, and while it delves into the ocean's mysteries from time to time, the focus always seems to return to the physiological limits of the human body. Coverage of freediving is good, with plenty of examination of the sport's extremes. There are brief vignettes about Aquarius, shark tagging, and cetacean communication, among other things, that do provide glimpses into the life of the ocean, but I wish there were more. A bit too much sociology and too little biology for my taste.

The writing is good. Biographical in style, the author tells his experiences with those involved in the ocean, along with his own interactions. It's not a hard book to read, and it is interesting, at least most of the time. I just wish there were more here. Though the book is organized by depth, it still feels like it's barely scratching the surface.

Angel Soft Bath Tissue, Double Rolls, Prints, 48 Count
Angel Soft Bath Tissue, Double Rolls, Prints, 48 Count

3.0 out of 5 stars Nope. Get Quilted Northern Ultra instead if you don't NEED the flowers., July 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used to always buy the cheapest TP I could find. I mean, it just gets flushed, so why bother spending more? I've gone through Angel Soft tissue in the past (the plain white, non-fancy design), and it's not bad. This is the same quality: better than the cheapest stuff you can find at your local grocery store, but not that much better. When I tried Quilted Northern Ultra though, I noticed a difference. It cost about the same, but felt way better. That stuff is soft! And thick! It was so much nicer, my frugality gets thrown out the window, and I've decided I'm willing to spend a couple bucks more for 48 rolls of the premium stuff. So if you don't need the floral print, and would like something nice that still doesn't cost too much, I'd suggest the three-ply Quilted Northern instead. You can thank me later.

HP 8-1401 8-Inch Tablet 16GB (Silver)
HP 8-1401 8-Inch Tablet 16GB (Silver)
Offered by Galactics
Price: $178.44
26 used & new from $169.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the one I'd pick. Get a Nexus 7 instead., July 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I already had a Nexus 7 (2012 version), and so this review will be mostly a comparison with that one. How is this HP one better? The screen is slightly larger. And it has a rear-facing camera in addition to the front-facing one (the newer Nexus has both, but my older one doesn't). How is it not as good? In every other way. I like the resolution, colors, sound, app compatibility, GPS, and scratch resistance of the Nexus a lot better.

Speaking of scratch resistance... the screen of this HP tablet was more scratched up in three days of casual use than my Nexus was in three months. The glass isn't awesome. It's not horrible I guess, and the scratches aren't deep or terribly obnoxious (yet), but they're noticeable, and they're there. My Nexus still doesn't show any at all, despite much more use. EDIT: the scratches are getting worse fast. And the screen is plastic, not glass. Make sure you get a screen protector if you pick this thing.

App compatibility: My Nexus will run everything in the app store except for Square Register (damn you, Google, for not including the right kind of headphone jack!). This HP tablet, while it *is* compatible with Square (okay, there's another plus for it), won't install about a dozen other apps I have on my Nexus. Not compatible. Which sucks.

The nexus has a ton of custom covers and cases available for it. This one, not so much, so you're likely forced to settle with a generic case, which doesn't fit well, doesn't have button access in the best place, etc.

The HP also comes with more bloatware. Only a few apps, but there's no convenient way to remove the few HP apps I'm never likely to use.

This HP tablet isn't as responsive. When tapping on the screen, it doesn't always do what I want it to. I'm not sure why, but it seems like my other tablet is better at this.

This HP tablet has no GPS built in. Trying to use google maps yields a less than awesome experience.

Anyway, the HP tablet has a slightly larger display, is thin, and looks nice. Until you turn it on and notice the scratches on the screen, colors that are a bit off (I'm a photographer, and probably more picky than most people), fact that you can't get all the apps you want, etc.

My advice? Get a Nexus (it's about the same price), or at least a tablet that's popular enough to have a nice selection of cases available for it (and broader app compatibility). I'm finding myself using my Nexus much more often than this one. It does what I want it to. Still... this one can take payments via Square. I think that's what it'll be resigned to.

DII 100-percent Cotton, Ribbed 13x 19" Everday Basic Placemat Set of 6, Nautical Blue
Price: $24.00
5 used & new from $21.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice placemats. Love the color., July 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are definitely a premium placemat. They actually look and feel nice. I like that. The blue ones I received look great. Easily washable as needed, and six of them was enough for my table and family. I'm impressed with the color selection as well. Some of the colors look great. Might need to add to my collection eventually.

What I don't like? The price. They aren't really all that cheap. Still... would make a nice gift, and are probably worth the price if you're looking for something nice.

American Baby Company Organic Cotton Quilted Waterproof Sheet Saver, Natural
American Baby Company Organic Cotton Quilted Waterproof Sheet Saver, Natural
Price: $9.99
6 used & new from $7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but I'd love a full-size one., July 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This material would make a great crib mattress pad. Soft organic cotton on the top, and a waterproof layer underneath. Except it's small. Smaller than I was expecting. The idea is that you tie it into the crib in precisely the place where your child is likely to make a mess. Then, when that happens, you can just remove and wash this, rather than all of the bedding. I guess that works for younger children who don't move. Mine doesn't always stay on this pad, regardless of placement. Anyway, construction is nice, the materials are good, you can tie it in place... but I sure wish it were a bit larger.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20