Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM
Profile for Smileypie > Reviews

Browse

Smileypie's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Smileypie "K Kerkam" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Leapster..Sent Back Defective after 1 Week. Still a Fan., November 8, 2007
2nd Time is the Charm....We hope.
I purchased this right after I received the news from my son's kindergarten teacher that he needed more assistance with his letters and math. I used 1-click to get started right away. My son improved literally overnight! He practiced on the game "Letters on the Loose"; and played the L-Max TV games too.
Issues:
We noticed something about the TV cord that we had not read in other reviews: The cord that comes with the L-Max did not fit properly into his Leapster; and everytime he moved it would reset the game because it came unplugged from the device.
The Good News:
I noticed after 1 week that he began to write his name in lower case letters on his own. Was it worth the $100 bucks to get results? Absolutely.
Now more bad news:
We had this device for 1.5 weeks, and last night it just stopped working. No dropping, no impact, just dead. After multiple battery changes, I called Leapfrog and they recommended we send it back to Amazon. I just did, but knew we couldn't wait the '30 day' replacement turnaround time, so we ordered another one via 1-Click to get here tomorrow.
Product Loyalty due to RESULTS:
Obviously the product is great enough for me to overlook the defective L-Max and order another one. No other method has gotten my son more involved than this device.
He just got re-evaluated yesterday, and already his letter recognition, sounds, and writing have vastly improved.
I am still waiting for the "Kindergarten" game to arrive at the end of the month; and will review accordingly to help parents make the right decisions.

Zevro KCH-06121/GAT200 Indispensable Dry Food Dispenser, Dual Control, Black/Chrome
Price: $33.84
29 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, Saves a Lot of Space - No more cereal Boxes!, May 25, 2007
I bought 2 sets of the dual containers. They are convenient and have replaced an entire cabinet full of cereal boxes with the 4 retro-looking "Good Eats" style dispensers! I have rice in one container, Goldfish in another, and the other 2 hold cereal of varying brands. We just keep adding cereal to the top and the kids don't mind the minor mixing of the cereals in their bowls. It is nice to see the cereal get eaten up. We have no more boxes with small amounts of uneaten cereal all over the place! Highly Recommend if you have the counter space, or the pantry/cabinet space that is tall enough for this dispenser.

JVC LT46FN97 46-Inch 1080p Flat Panel LCD TV
JVC LT46FN97 46-Inch 1080p Flat Panel LCD TV

5.0 out of 5 stars This TV is amazing! Non-Tech Review from Gift Giving Spouse, March 7, 2007
I actually made the decision to purchase this not only because of the size, HD quality and price, but mostly due to the great reviews on this thing. Read them, they really are informative on this particular item.

I have to say, the delivery service alone was fantastic. They called us before, during and after the delivery. We were impressed with that aspect even before we tore open the box and got to experience the tv itself.

Wow. This is coming from a person who can care less about televisions. I now know why people get hooked on these things. Even in the daylight, the picture is clear as a bell.

Sound is just right too. There is a speaker all along the entire bottom of the TV, so the surround sound is realistic. No enhancements needed (thankfully for the wallet).

Our first show we watched in HD was so BIG it was dizzying. Kind of like a mini-Imax theater in your home. We hooked our Xbox 360 to it and the HD games are mesmerizing.

I can't say much to add to the technical side of the reviews above and below me.

This TV was a huge value.

It does get very warm if left on all night (not something I'd recommend).

Get HD cable if you have it. Otherwise don't bother, since you'd be wasting the full potential of this thing. Big difference between HD and normal cable.

Got this for my husband who was amazed that I could get such the "perfect TV". How'd I do it? READ THE REVIEWS. TAKE NOTES. Get the right size for your home. This 46" is measured 46" from one upper corner to the opposite lower corner. Get out a tape measure and do the same to get a feel for how big you want to go. It is HUGE if you are not used to anything over 36" in old-school tv's.

Get the highest HD # out there (that 1080 p thing) and you are good to go if you are shopping around.

Also, we compared the projector versus plasma versus flat panel and came up with flat panel to be the best option.

Plasma is out if you have kids. One flying object and the screen could lose pixels (or whatever you call them). Projectors are out. Do you know how technical and huge those things still are? Wait a little longer until they get smaller and not so IF-Then -Else-ish as far as what type you need.

Flat panels - best decision we made this year so far in gadgets.

Now go read the more technical reviews and make up your own mind.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, durable, great shoe., March 7, 2007
Bought this for my son who is in tap class. This is a very well-made shoe with high quality taps constructed into the bottom. It sounds better than the other shoes we have for the girls in the house, which are obviously made with less quality. Recommend getting this for boys - you won't regret it!

Nikon 7072 Lens Pen Cleaning System
Nikon 7072 Lens Pen Cleaning System
Price: $8.49
39 used & new from $2.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one out there. Really works!, March 7, 2007
I read the reviews on this thing and bought one to clean my SLR. I have to admit, this really does the trick. Nothing comes close to it. Period.

Dance Dance Revolution Universe Bundle -Xbox 360
Dance Dance Revolution Universe Bundle -Xbox 360
8 used & new from $80.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny - And The Wait, March 7, 2007
We started out by thinking that the original DDR for the XBOX (NOT 360) was compatible with our new 360. Not so. Pretty disappointed when we found that the plugs were different on the dance pad, and once we found a "joy box" that turned the xbox dance mat into a usb-type pad; it still didn't work. Returned it and skeptically ordered the 360 version with 2 months and counting for the release. It arrived last week, and I have to say, it is a LOT of fun! Our kids are on it constantly, it is great to get up and play a "game" and move around. Even the adults are on this thing. The beats are actually very well put-together. The tunes are beat-driven to help you learn from beginning all the way up. Once you pass and get a perfect "grade" by dancing the correct way on the mat to the song, it unlocks another song in the progression of difficulty. You can also log onto xbox live and compete against others live. Haven't done that yet, we are trying to not fall over and trip still! I recommend this to anyone who is sick of sitting on the couch and wants to try something new. Also has a workout mode. Believe me, 3 to 4 songs nonstop and you are working up a sweat without pressing the workout option. We just ordered another dancemat after exhaustive research. This pad slips all over the place, so get some velcro to keep it still when dancing. Check out the dance pad pro (on amazon). It has a port for your headset and of course eventually the karaoke games that will obviously come out in the future.

Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer
Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer
Offered by HOT SPOT
Price: $67.84
16 used & new from $66.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget! Makes you mindful of your activity levels., November 13, 2006
I bought this gadget with the intent of monitoring my daily steps to get an idea of where I was currently to establish some sort of baseline so that I could get a reality check on my activity levels. I opened the box, read the easy directions, set up my personal step measurement (just measure off the distance of your 10 steps), and clipped it on my pants and forgot about it for the day. I was surprised to find out that a corpse could probably move around more during the day than me! Over the next 6 days, (this pedometer keeps track of 7 days of steps for you); I literally stepped up my game and went from 756 steps with NO aerobic exercise on day 1, to 7,880 steps with 30 minutes of nonstop aerobic exercise on day 3! Every day has been getting easier to achieve the 10,000 "normal" steps, and increasing the aerobic steps too (which are tracked separately). I can press the mode button, check out how many miles my steps translate to, kilocalories burned, aerobic steps, and compare it with the past 7 days as well. It has turned out to be even more fun than what I originally bought it for. I actually feel better, and the fun part is that I am trying to beat my own personal record from the previous day! This has been an eye-opening experience for me, and I keep this on or in my pocket all the time now, just to make sure I keep a mindful eye on my steps and aerobic activity for the day!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 4:42 PM PDT

T-fal FA7000002 Ultimate EZ Clean Deep Fryer, White
T-fal FA7000002 Ultimate EZ Clean Deep Fryer, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated review - Not my fave anymore - unsafe!, January 21, 2006
Unfortunately, when you update an original review, you can't change the star rating on it. I would change the star rating to a one * for the simple drainage option. That is about it. Here is an update about a year after the purchase:

Okay, here is the original review last year when we bought this:
This fryer is very cool if you hate draining the oil and cleaning it out at the end. Just pop it on top of the oil container, and it automatically filters the oil and cleans it too via a charcoal filter system. There is no odor, no grease residue on anything. It never smells like fried food in the house either. The ONLY thing that alarms me a bit is the handle to the fryer. If you have small children and purchase this, please remember to put the handle FAR away from the edge of the counter. Without the weight of the oil in the fryer, it is not well balanced and can tip over. Keeping that in mind, I recommend it to families of 4 or less due to the size of this model.

***UPDATE*** My original concern over the instability of the top section and the base has been confirmed. It has tipped twice and we have avoided some serious burns. In addition to that, the way the basket handle comes out of it, adds to the fryer's precarious state. We have been so alarmed about the potential for this thing tipping over or getting bumped by the kids that we use it outside on the back deck far away from anyone just in case.
Last thing and the MOST ANNOYING---The cord has a sort of magnet at the back end of it and it is supposed to keep it connected when frying.
It comes out whenever it feels like it. It is not like the usual hard prong type connector, just a magnet thing that is so annoying because it comes loose at the slightest bump when moving food in and out of the fryer. Then it turns off and you don't even know it because the light (red on light) is so faint that it is not obvious until your food is ruined from grease saturation.

I would NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE AT THIS POINT. I felt guilty not updating this review and to shed more facts on the original review now that the honeymoon is over with this thing.
don't buy it. period.

Sharp R-820JS 0.9-Cubic Foot Grill 2 Convection Microwave, Silver
Sharp R-820JS 0.9-Cubic Foot Grill 2 Convection Microwave, Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny. Great deal on Amazon. VERSATILE!, January 21, 2006
I read the reviews on this microwave when I wanted more of an all-in-one machine for our smaller home. Read the reviews like I did. Fantastic versatility in this machine! I am still amazed at how nicely it roasts meats, like 5 cornish game hens at a time...perfectly done and FAST! If you work, need a convection oven, microwave, regular baking oven, delayed start, Roaster, Pizza Oven, Defroster, TOASTER oven, and probably a few other types I forgot to mention....GET THIS... I have no problems with smoke, clean up is very easy on this due to the coated turntable. Sturdy too. Remember to read all the directions and the inserts...the person that wrote it didn't do a good job of putting the information in one place. You can actually just open the door to the oven and press the 'auto button' and not even read the directions...the basic information is on the inside of the door for reference. It was very satisfying to get rid of the dangerous toaster oven that is a fire hazard. The only thing we kept was a regular toaster....It takes a bit too long for toast in the morning. Other than that, it is fantastic!

The Everything Thai Cookbook: From Pad Thai to Lemongrass Chicken Skewers--300 Tasty, Tempting Thai Dishes You Can Make at Home
by Jennifer Malott Kotylo
108 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars No photos - Not authentic enough - Okay for Americanized Thai, January 21, 2006
Purchased this book with high hopes based on other reviews. I was very disappointed in the fact that there are NO PICTURES at all. I am a visual person, and enjoy seeing pictures of dishes; especially ones that can be a bit complex. The substitutions of Thai ingredients completely change the dish. Ginger is not the same flavor as Galangal....I could go on and on. The authentic ingredients are not too difficult to find these days. You can order online or just go to a specialty Market. It IS worth the trip to get the right stuff to cook these dishes with. If you like more authentic books with pictures, pass on this one. Try templeofthai.com for a great website and supplier.

Page: 1 | 2