Profile for Unimpressed > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Unimpressed RSS Feed (Kansas City)

Page: 1 | 2
Sid Meier's Civilization V Game of the Year - PC
Sid Meier's Civilization V Game of the Year - PC
Offered by TnsDeals
Price: $15.85
19 used & new from $9.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Steam is a crock!, June 10, 2014
I'd love to review this game, but that would require playing it. Instead, I've spent about three hours over the last two days downloading and re-downloading Steam. It doesn't matter how you purchase this game, (download or disc), you are required to log in to Steam to play it. Get used to seeing a "The Steam Servers are Too Busy to Process Your Request Right Now" error. Running Windows 7 on an intel i7 processor with 32 Mb of Ram. The reviews on the Steam boards are either terrible, or glowing, ("Anytime I had a problem, I realized that it was user error or my computer settings were incorrect"); NOBODY says that in a review. It might as well say, "Steam is Awesome, and problems can only be caused by stupidity of users like me!!"

The point is, I don't have enough hours to screw around with this POS, so I'm going to try to send it back. This is the same crap that XBOX was going to try, but later realized was a huge nightmare. I understand that they have to protect their work, but if they can't do it without interfering with the entertainment that I've paid them for, then it's just trash.

Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000
Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000
Price: $45.30
95 used & new from $38.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, January 14, 2014
In my office, I buy 3-5 new computers per year, and we always get wireless keyboards and mice, (mouses?), to go with them. I've tried every combination and every brand, and nothing else has the quality, the ergonomics and the longevity of this set.

The keyboard has a great feel, and great tactile feedback. The HP and Logitech keyboards seemed like the keys were always sliding from side to side, and you had to constantly watch the screen for typos. This keyboard gives you much more confidence.

The mouse is large and feels great. I've used it on lots of surfaces without any issues. It scrolls smoothly and the wheel has a great solid feel to it. If I ever find a better set, I'll update this, but I've purchased sets that retail at $150 and they weren't as good as this one.

Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers [Previous Generation]
Price: $229.00
32 used & new from $115.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Service Fail, November 12, 2013
The Kindle Fire is actually an excellent product, and the system seems to run well. My complaint is with Amazon service. I purchased three of these, and the screen on one broke without being dropped or otherwise mistreated. I called Amazon, hoping to be able to have the unit repaired. I expected to pay for this. However, I was told that the repair was MORE expensive than the price I had paid, (and substantially more expensive than the newer model). When I said that didn't make sense, I was told continually by the service rep that I hadn't paid what I said I paid, (despite having the order with ALL of the information pulled up in front of me).

It was clear that she was looking at a different order, and I tried to give her the Order number, but she wouldn't take it. She was more interested in telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about.

I'd like to think this was an isolated experience, but research tells otherwise. Remember when Wal-Mart had good service? If you're under 40, you probably don't. I guess this is just what happens to companies when they grow too large. But, that's what opens the door for other retailers, so I guess it isn't all bad.

The Wicker Man (1973) [HD]
The Wicker Man (1973) [HD]
DVD
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic movie for a genre lover, May 19, 2013
If you don't love creepy movies from the sixties and seventies, then Wicker Man really doesn't stand on it's own as a great film. But, if you enjoy the strange world of the Thriller/Suspense/Sci-Fi/Horror combination movies of this era, then Wicker Man will not disappoint. Strange and unreal characters, gratuitous sexuality, beautiful landscapes and creepy children are all part of the winning formula. Think, "Stepped Wives."

NeverBend by Luxire - 24 Steel Collar Stays - 2.5 inch
NeverBend by Luxire - 24 Steel Collar Stays - 2.5 inch
Offered by Luxire Custom Clothing
Price: $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than expected, December 24, 2012
As someone else mentioned, the actual products are dimpled. Quality is really excellent, and I can't imagine anyone having difficulty with the length of these stays. I've purchased quite a few plastic collar stays, and had decent results, but these are great. They are virtually impossible to bend, and they can't break. Also, they are nearly impossible to forget at laundry time. I rarely give give star reviews, but these warrant it.

Nikon COOLPIX P510 16.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 42x Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and GPS Record Location (Black)
Offered by Electromax
Price: $379.00
34 used & new from $149.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multi-use companion camera, May 18, 2012
For a number of years, I've been using Digital SLR cameras. Unfortunately, they are very inconvenient when out and about, and their short zoom length means that you spend a lot of time trying to crop photos later. In order to get really good photos at any distance, you need to carry thousands of dollars of equipment, which isn't particularly convenient at major theme parks with mouse themes. All this means that many of my more important family photos ended up on my Canon Elph 110. It's a good camera for the size, but isn't what you want for taking photos that you may want to enlarge or frame on your wall. So, I've spent months trying to find the perfect camera for carrying when traveling, etc. I've actually purchased two of the small, exchangeable lens cameras, but didn't feel like they were that much more convenient. They also had the problem of a relatively short zoom length, and photo quality still wasn't close enough to SLR to make them a good value compromise.

I finally purchased the Canon G1X, due to the large CMOS sensor. I still didn't have any zoom, but I felt like the photo quality would be good enough for later cropping. Unfortunately, I wasn't that impressed with the actual quality of the images. For a camera close to a grand, I was very disappointed. I'm not sure the quality was any better that that of my Elph. Finally, I broke down and tried a couple of mega-zooms. I was quite skeptical due to the smaller sensors, and felt sure that even close up photos wouldn't really work. As it turns out, this camera was a good compromise. For me, this camera makes sense. The photo quality is excellent, and shooting time is very fast. The HD video is very good, and allows for captures of up to 30 minutes of video at a time. If you take your time and shoot well, you can get excellent quality photos, even in relatively low light. With a little bit of enhancement, (with Adobe lightroom, for example), you can get some stunning photos that can still look great when enlarged. I would go so far as to say that a professional photographer could take photos with this camera that would appear to be SLR quality.

On the other hand, when you're shooting quick photos in action situations, (birthdays, holidays, etc.), you get much better photos than I've ever seen with point and shoots. This is one camera that does a good job with photos and video, making it a perfect travel companion. I'm sure that purists will find plenty of flaws, but after trying, (and purchasing), at least five cameras in the last year, this is the one I expect to stay with for quite some time. It's not perfect, but it may be the perfect compromise, at least among what's available in May, 2012.

Autonet Mobile KT-ANMRTR-04 CarFi Router
Autonet Mobile KT-ANMRTR-04 CarFi Router
Price: $338.71
7 used & new from $270.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Idea All Around, December 3, 2011
While the concept behind this may have some value, the execution is lousy. Get virtually any modern android phone or iphone, or a wireless tablet, and it will have a built-in wifi hot spot, and it will be 4G, not 3G. The 5 gig limitation on this thing maybe isn't that big a deal, since it would take you a whole month to download 5 gig on a 3g network. Activate a new phone or tablet from Spr or Tmob with unlimited web, and you can be a hot-spot everywhere you go, in your vehicle or not, on a 4G network.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2013 1:18 PM PDT

Graco Secure Coverage Digital Baby Monitor with 2 Parent Units
Graco Secure Coverage Digital Baby Monitor with 2 Parent Units
Price: $53.97
16 used & new from $45.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, June 19, 2011
We purchased this model in 2007. Don't know if there have been updates to it since then, but it finally quit after 3.5 years. I wish it still worked, but I can't complain too much for the price. Distance and walls are a little bit of a problem, as it doesn't seem to have a great range, but sound quality is generally good. Overall, I can't say that it was amazing, but much better than several other models we tried first in this same price range.

Canon 104 Toner Cartridge - Black
Canon 104 Toner Cartridge - Black
Price: $62.74
97 used & new from $50.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Industry Standards, February 13, 2009
I've read some of the reviews here, and I think that some people have some unrealistic expectations. First, several people commented on how the lifespan was based on only 5% coverage. Well, that's the industry standard folks, and every toner cartridge is based on that.

As for the life of the cartridge, it's very similar to others in its class. Many people, however, change the cartridge as soon as the toner light comes on. (It beeps and gives you an error sign). From that point, I've put another 500 pages through this printer before any loss of text density.

The fact is, the Canon home multi-functions that use this cartridge are leaps and bounds ahead of their competition. They are BY FAR the fastest and very quiet. (Go to an office supply store and try to make copies on several all-in-ones. The HPs will take twenty seconds to warm up, and spin their wheels for ten seconds after to "cool-off," after one print. The Brothers will shake off of the table, and the Canons will pop out of sleep mode and print your first copy in under ten seconds).

Samsung LN46A550 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (2008 Model)
Samsung LN46A550 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (2008 Model)
6 used & new from $599.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, December 9, 2008
If you're looking for the single best "value" in an LCD television today, there is no better choice than the LN46A550. It's not 120Hz, but the difference is minimal when present, and given the wide variance in original picture sources that most of us view regularly, there is usually no difference at all. That's not to say that 120Hz isn't nice, but it isn't worth the current 20-30% premium.

In my home this unit is placed just a few feet off the ground in a room with windows on three walls. The glare on my old CRT made tv viewing impossible for a couple of hours a day, which is why I knew I needed LCD rather than plasma. The fact is, this picture is bright, crisp and clear under any conditions.

Like others, I was concerned about ordering something like this from Amazon, where I couldn't simply load it in an SUV and take it back if there was a problem. But, my experience with Amazon tells me that I have nothing to worry about, and the added convenience was worth it. I ordered the tv on a Saturday night. On Monday afternoon I got a call asking when the delivery truck could bring the television. They brought it Wednesday morning. (The delivery is done by a local company, and I'm guessing that they must keep a couple of extra units of "hot sellers" like this one, because they certainly didn't have time to ship the television here). Rather than taking a chance that I'd break the TV getting it home, two guys brought it in the house, took it out of the packaging, set it on the TV stand, plugged it in and checked for power. Once they had confirmed that it was working OK, they took whatever packing materials I didn't want and left.

I'll never buy a TV anywhere else again, and I'm considering the 40" model of this same line for my bedroom.

Page: 1 | 2