Profile for M. Garland > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Garland RSS Feed (Seattle, Wa)

World of the New Seekers
World of the New Seekers
Price: $11.98
39 used & new from $2.77

4.0 out of 5 stars I do like "You Won't Find Another"...., June 12, 2011
I'll have to disagree with Gassy Goon ....I do like "You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me". I love Lyn Paul on lead vocal and wish they would have used her more. Even though the song did not chart in this country (but #1 in England) it did get airplay. I thought Lyn sounded so great when she'd "crack" her voice as if she were singing during the roaring 20's. It was, and still is, Feel Good pop. However, note the New Seekers only had a couple big hits in this country .. "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" (#7) and "Look What They've Done to My Song, Ma" (#4). After those two, some listeners may not recognize many more.
By the way..... Lyn is still gorgeous!

Sugar Blues/Basin Street Blues [Vinyl]
Sugar Blues/Basin Street Blues [Vinyl]
Price: $30.16
7 used & new from $12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Find, January 13, 2011
Vogue picture 78's have always been popular with collectors and I've read Sugar Blues may have been Vogue's first picture record. When my mother spotted this record among a box of picture records in 1946, she bought it. Vogue didn't have too many big stars but Clyde McCoy's Sugar Blues had been his signature song and Basin Street Blues was a beautiful arrangement...my favorite. To me this record is worth more than the asking price and as the years go by will probably only go up in value. It is something to be framed and hung on a wall. If this is the actual original Vogue 78rpm, it is a wonderful conversation piece and collector's item. Just make sure you have insurance in case it cracks during delivery.

Classics in the Key of G
Classics in the Key of G
Offered by SHOP@HOME
Price: $4.77
281 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Key of G for "Good", March 20, 2010
Add this to Kenny's "I'm in the Mood for Love" cd and it's even more complete.
I think Kenny is extremely good for what he does, but the "Key of G" could use a couple more songs. Also, as good as Kenny is, he needs to take a breather in the middle of some of his songs. Solid sax for 5 to 7 minutes without a break starts to wear on you after about the fourth song. Maybe that's why his duets have scored so well. Once in awhile he needs to let a guitar, piano or even the strings take over for a few bars.

Also, Kenny seems to use the same formula on nearly all of his pieces ... start out straight, add a couple notes the second time around ... go wild the third time .. and then play the final passage straight. When he does too many songs with that same formula, you start to notice and it's no longer refreshing or surprising when you can predict.

So yes I love the guy ... but after a half dozen tracks, I find I'd better put on something else for awhile .. at least one of Kenny's duets.

Liz Damon's Orient Express
Liz Damon's Orient Express
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $9.31
41 used & new from $5.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Love that Liz, August 3, 2009
Liz had a wonderful pretty voice and should have been a far bigger star. "1900 Yesterday" would be the White Whale label's last hit.

I first purchased this lp back when "1900 Yesterday" was popular and later purchased the cd in 2007. The problem was, The Orient Express came on the scene at a time when the "Ray Conniff" sound was on it's way out.

This group sounds like an excellent lounge act with nice harmonies, pretty vocals a nice selection of popular songs of that day plus some of their original compositions. My favorite was always "Same Old Feeling".

They were a great group that should have gotten far more notoriety. They deserved better. They is a great cd, although there were many other songs that could have been added, and is a real find for a collector.

Sorry
Sorry
15 used & new from $12.82

4.0 out of 5 stars The originals, August 3, 2009
This review is from: Sorry (Audio CD)
This is one of the few cd's that contain the original versions of these songs. I find "I Ran all the Way Home" all over the place but they are mostly "Sorry" sounding remakes. You pretty much have to buy this cd to get the original.

21 Golden Hits
21 Golden Hits
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $26.76
54 used & new from $0.35

1.0 out of 5 stars No Real Puppy Love, August 3, 2009
This review is from: 21 Golden Hits (Audio CD)
Although it is true that some of these tracks made their way onto the air waves, as a former broadcaster, I always cringed when I had to play a cut off this album. Especially "Diana". We knew they weren't the originals and hoped the listeners wouldn't notice.

I'm don't even like the term "Newly Recorded" because some may think that means "remastered". I'll grant you it is cool when a company takes the old master tapes that were originally recorded in stereo but released back then in mono, and lets us here them for the first time in stereo.

Also, despite 21 songs, there are many hits missing such as "All of the Sudden, My Heart Sings", "Having my Baby", "The Times of Your Life", "I Believe there's Nothing Stronger than Our Love", on and on and on.

I'd recommend buying a cd with the originals and then supplementing any other desired pieces with the Amazon music downloader.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2011 7:35 AM PST

Ron Frangipane and his Orchestra Rated X For Excitement
Ron Frangipane and his Orchestra Rated X For Excitement

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to it's Name, July 26, 2009
It's a shame this record does not come in CD format. The songs on here were popular in that day by the original artists. But Ron's orchestral arrangements had lots of drum and bass, giving the songs lots of punch nd making the pieces sound better than the originals. The songs were also well recorded...clear with no distortion. My favorite was "Smile a Little Smile for Me"...very modern for it's day in the late 60's early 70's.

This LP is a real find if you can get it. My copy is in mint condition.. I loved it so much that I only played it so much to avoid wearing it out!
Mike

The Best Of The Platters:  The 20th Century Masters (Millennium Collection)
The Best Of The Platters: The 20th Century Masters (Millennium Collection)
Price: $5.99
64 used & new from $0.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Money, May 27, 2009
Although I should give 1 star for each Platter, 5 stars would be pushing it for such a small sampling of The Platters hits. I recommend this cd only if you want just some of their biggest hits and you can get it for just a few bucks.

For myself, I'd much rather put out a few more bucks and get a used - good condition "Magic Touch Anthology" cd that has far more songs. Don't forget that in their day, The Platters were so popular that many of the "B" sides also charted. Songs such as "It Isn't Right", "Remember When" and "Heaven on Earth" didn't chart in the top 10, but were super good.

All of the songs here are the original versions, are well recorded and are with Tony Williams on lead. It's also a treat (and surprise) to hear a few of their tracks in stereo, especially "Harbor Lights" where it sounds like the birds and ships are all around you in the beginning. Not like my old 45.

A tip-of-the-hat to Mercury and its engineers for recording the Platters stuff so well back in the 50's. They must have had top notch equipment and were more concerned with sounding clear than loud. It's sad how many old master-tapes have slowly deteriorated over the years leaving us with muddy or distorted music. Luckily, most of The Platters stuff still sounds like ...well .. Heaven on Earth.

The Drifters - All-Time Greatest Hits & More: 1959-1965
The Drifters - All-Time Greatest Hits & More: 1959-1965
Price: $19.98
25 used & new from $9.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Great, May 27, 2009
This Drifters "All-Time Greatest Hits and More" cd is very complete as far as The Drifters go, but I wish they could have thrown in a couple of Ben E Kings hits after he left the group such as "Stand By Me" and "Spanish Harlem".

And unfortunately, because of early recording techniques, a few of the cuts still have a little distortion and there was probably not much the engineers could do about it now.

But all that said, I found songs on here I'd never heard before that are really good. For myself, I sometimes enjoy lesser-known songs more than the hits that were worn out over the years on the airwaves. There are so many great old songs that got lots of airplay in their day, but then you never hear them again. These are fun songs to listen to again whether you're "Up on a Roof" or "Under the Boardwalk".

So I give it 4 stars for being complete .. and all original versions. (Watch out .. there are a few Drifter cd's out there that are remakes!) But I hold back on the 5th star because of the distortion here and there and the lack of Ben E King's solo hits after he left the group.

The Magic Touch: An Anthology (2CD)
The Magic Touch: An Anthology (2CD)
Price: $17.88
42 used & new from $10.94

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best (and the real) Platters, May 27, 2009
Of all The Platters cd's .. this is the one I recommend. It has nearly all of their charted songs .. certainly all their hits .. and a couple that are hard-to-find songs for the collector such as Zola Taylor's "Bark, Battle and Ball" and her "He's Mine". Although a couple of not so well known (but really good) songs such as "Love of a Lifetime" are missing, this is a nearly complete album that is well engineered ... even the mono cuts are surprisingly clear for their age... especially "Remember When".

Best of all ... these are the real Platters and the original versions...NO REMAKES. Including the hard-to-find original version of "Heaven on Earth". Because these are original and clear, I give them 3 thumbs up. (Okay so I'm gifted)

After Tony Williams and Zola "The Dish" Taylor left in the early 60's, and new members came on board, the sound was not the same. But the "new" Platters also released albums singing the original group's hits...plus there were (and still are) other groups calling themselves The Platters. If you buy one of those cd's by mistake, they won't sound the way you remember and you could be in for a letdown. Or as Mr. T would say.."I pitty the poor fool".