Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "Just Grow It!" RSS Feed (N. Arizona)

Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
by Brett L. Markham
Price: $14.36
67 used & new from $10.19

5.0 out of 5 stars AMONG THE VERY * BEST * GARDENING BOOKS!, January 3, 2015
This book is a gardener's gem. I hesitated buying it only because of the low price! Don't judge a book by its cost. This lovely volume is worth a lot more. It is straight to the point in a pleasant, readable fashion.

I was raised on a small farm. Yet I was truly surprised at how much I learned! He covers so much of what I've grown up doing, and still doing for over 50 years. He mentions two books, both classics; both of which I've incorporated into my own growing. He compares these books and suggests what works and doesn't and why.

The book is fast and succinct, with a bounty of information. I marveled at how he got it all in there!! It reads quickly too. Of course he is an engineer, and the book was recommended by a best-friend, also an engineer. :-} This is probably why the information on irrigation, timers and simple watering formulas is easy to learn, painless to recall.

Double-digging is beautifully explained. His charts are straight-forward and quick to comprehend. (not all charts are created equal!). The spacing tip is a precious gem. He presents information without blatant bias. And the material on horse manure is worth a lot of the composting I've done. Thanks to Brett, I've decided not to use it again.

This book arrived the same day as a carefully researched treatise on aquaponics. While aquaponics may be the ultimate food-growing solution, it was a relief to realize my heart is (and always will be) in the dirt. To paraphrase, "fresh air, sunshine, healthy exercise'; Dirt growing has many benefits besides fresh food. I will embark on aquaponics, yet continue my passion of mini-farming.

Two suggestions, more information on transmutable diseases from chickens, especially their manure borne pathogens. (Yes I could research this myself. but now I'm spoiled). And please, please keep writing. I look forward to your next one!

Chicken Coops: 45 Building Ideas for Housing Your Flock
Chicken Coops: 45 Building Ideas for Housing Your Flock
by Judy Pangman
Price: $15.09
118 used & new from $4.91

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Money! (like I did), December 18, 2011
This book has to be the biggest disappointments in a "How To" book I have ever purchased. (Understatement)

I honestly felt ripped off, and I've been buying online since it's inception.

I have very little construction experience, but enough to follow a decently drawn plan, maybe even some poor ones. There were NO plans in this book.

Maybe times have changed. But I wanted a book with ideas or plans for something basic, and ultimately efficient and applicable for housing an average backyard flock. This book offered none of the above.

Material list? Not even. Nor I am not a fan of cutesy or fringe.

I mean really, one plan was an 'egg-loo' constructed from straw bales. Another using the top of a truck bed topper. Have we become so unintelligent we need a book to tell us how to do this?! I think not.

My only regret is I didn't post a BEWARE review sooner, and return this book for a full and immediate refund.

Truthfully, I am surprised Storey even published it, much less attached their name to it. I have many of their books, but they have lost a customer after this. I would be ashamed.

I won't even even donate it to the library.

If you need a book on building a chicken coop, poultry house, or anything of this ilk, please, don't waste your money, much less your time.

The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
by Carol Deppe
Price: $23.01
67 used & new from $19.01

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE!, October 28, 2010
Bar None, the best gardening book I've ever read. And I've been into this for 30+ years.

The information is readable, oft times humorous, exacting and easy to remember.

I pre-ordered it. I waited impatiently for it to arrive. Then I had a "Lost Weekend" reading it straight through. I'm on my 3rd re-read. And (I'm not sure why my first post of this incredible readable didn't show up?)

I was wowed by Chapter 4, "Diet and Food Resilience". Especially what she says about wheat sensitivities. Definitely worth paying attention to. The specific chapters on which types of corn, beans, squash and potatoes are worth seeking out.

The only snag, so far, is her website is not up and running. Or I'm not able to access it from here.

I strongly recommend you get this book. You will not be disappointed.

Waiting for My Rocket to Come
Waiting for My Rocket to Come
Price: $4.99
208 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Stopped me in my tracks, April 9, 2010
The first time I heard "The Remedy" I was driving a remote stretch of highway in the pouring rain. It was a black night.

But within the first few bars and two lines of lyrics, it literally stopped me in my tracks. I pulled over, hit the flashers, and cranked the volume.

I wished there was cell phone service to call the station and find out who this fresh voice belonged to! It took awhile before I found him, but fame has a way of rewarding great talent. The next time I heard another song, I became hooked on his voice.

Yes, there is a wee bit of similarity re John Mayer, but it's a long stretch. Each has their unique gifts.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Poetry in Stitches - Clothes You Can Knit
Poetry in Stitches - Clothes You Can Knit
by Solveig Hisdal
22 used & new from $80.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry In Stitches - Clothes You Can Knit, January 21, 2010
This is by far the most beautiful, inspirational and breathtaking knitting book I've ever owned. Each page has art quality photos and gorgeous patterns. The colors are awesome, and the patterns beg to be knitted. The instructions are easy to follow, and although they are for intermediate knitters, as a fairly new knitter I had no trouble following them. If you splurge on just one book for your knitting library, choose this one.