Profile for Aisling D'Art > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 359

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aisling D'Art "artist and author" RSS Feed (Portsmouth, NH USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fran Wilson Cake Eyeliner Black
Fran Wilson Cake Eyeliner Black
Offered by cosmeticbeautyplace
Price: $7.68
8 used & new from $7.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect, even for older women, those with allergies, and finicky customers like me., June 29, 2015
I'm over 55, so I need a liner that can provide a softer look without smudging or fading over the next 10 or so hours. I'm also allergic to many -- perhaps most -- eye makeup products. And, I want a cake eyeliner with consistent color... nothing that starts dark and fades quickly as the line extends. And finally, the cake eyeliner cannot have a crackled appearance (too dry) or smear due to oily eyelashes.

That's a lot to ask for in one product. This eyeliner delivers it. I even like the brush, though some people may want a brush with a smaller point for greater control. I've kept using the one that came with this product, and I'm happy with it.

I like this so well, I've ordered the same product in brown, for times when I want a subtler line or a wider one without looking too garish.

This eyeliner goes on smoothly, stays looking great all day (even in Florida's hottest, most humid weather), and removes easily. (I'm not sure I'd go swimming in it. I doubt that it's actually waterproof.)

Really, it's the perfect cake eyeliner in a nice, even black color that will go with all skin tones.

The Writer's Idea Thesaurus: An Interactive Guide for Developing Ideas for Novels and Short Stories
by Fred D. White
Price: $14.06
71 used & new from $6.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and a gold mine for fiction writers., June 26, 2015
This is a brilliant idea. It's filled with ideas that can improve any plot with fresh concepts and new "what if...?" questions. I bought a copy for myself, and a second one for my (author) daughter. We both love the inspiration this book provides.

Oh, you're not likely to lift the ideas or plot concepts straight off the pages of this book. However, if you need a fresh outlook on your story, and some ideas that can present unexpected plot twists... this is a great book for your writing bookshelf.

The Writer's Guide to Getting Organized: Take Control of Your Creative Life 10 Minutes at a Time
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good foundation for any author who wants to be better organized, June 26, 2015
Lynn Johnston gets a lot right when she talks about writing. This book is very good, and touched on many points I hadn't considered as I'm trying to get more organized as a writer & artist.

I'm not convinced that authors (or anyone in a creative career) needs ALL the systems that Johnston touches on in this book, but if you read this book and do even 1/3 of what she suggests, you'll be more organized than most authors.

The one point I disagree on, heartily, is her recommendation that you register your pen names as business names (DBA, or "doing business as" registrations). Unless your bank requires that kind of paperwork, registering each pen name (connecting it to your real name and address in records available to the public) kind of defeats the point of using a pen name for privacy. (Ask other, long-time authors in your community. They're likely to know if registration is necessary. So far -- in three American states -- I've never needed to.)

Other than that, this book is useful if you're anxious about covering all the bases necessary to be a truly organized author. And, Johnston includes lots of great resources and tips, as well. For the price, this is a book well worth reading.

The Man in the High Castle [HD]
The Man in the High Castle [HD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next episode!, June 26, 2015
This is an absolutely compelling concept, at least in the first episode. I watched it because Rufus Sewell was in it, and he brings quirky depths to every role he plays. This one is no exception, and I barely recognized him with his slimmer face and sinister styling.

The plot is whimsical and cryptic, with twists I didn't see coming.

I have no idea where this series will go, but anything based on Philip K. Dick's work is likely to be intriguing and entertaining.

So far, so good!

John From Cincinnati Season 1
John From Cincinnati Season 1
DVD
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky series, best for people who've lived in Los Angeles or at least been part of the surfing scene, June 26, 2015
This is a quirky series. Parts of it dragged a bit. The constant, recurring anger by DeMornay's character kind of baffled me.

However, if you've lived in Los Angeles or been part of the surfing scene (ever), there's a crazy logic to this story that's addictive. If you liked the old TV series, "It's Like, You Know" (ABC 1999 - 2000), you may love this series.

If strong language and loose morals offend you, don't bother with this series. Some of the parenting and relationships in the show are absolutely appalling, too. One element is absolutely nightmarish.

Despite the things that bothered me about this series, I watched the entire season in just a few days. I really wanted to know who (or what) John was... and I'm still not sure.

I'm not sure this series can sustain its entertainment value, especially if DeMornay's character continues her irrational rages. (I want to like her, but her inappropriate antagonism got on my nerves, even before the other shoe dropped, in "call Child Protective Services" terms. After that, I flinched whenever she showed up in a scene, apparently oblivious or at least unrepentant about her behaviors.)

The show is well cast and written with style. Even the occasional over-the-top rambles (like the one by the car salesman) are forgiveable as this series explores odd and innovative themes.

For now, I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes. At the moment, it makes no sense, but there's a logic and symmetry to it. It's difficult to explain, unless you've lived in L.A. or been involved in surfing... and possibly both.

You'll either hate this series or keep watching because... well, it's like... you know... but at the beach.

Mission Athletecare Enduracool Towel, Blue
Mission Athletecare Enduracool Towel, Blue
Price: $11.86
13 used & new from $11.64

3.0 out of 5 stars In humid heat, ignore the product directions. It's better-than-average for keeping ice cubes cold at the back of your neck, June 1, 2015
PROS: An above-average way to apply ice cubes to keep yourself cool.
CONS: In humid heat (Florida), following package directions, the towel doesn't work much better than a bandana soaked in water.
WHY I'M KEEPING MINE: It's a tidy way to apply ice to the back of my neck to stay cool, and the ice melts slower than if I'd simply wrapped the ice cubes in a bandana or scarf.

DETAILS:
I bought one of these at a local store, hoping it would help in the Florida heat. Like another Florida customer, I was disappointed. I'm not convinced this towel is any cooler than a normal bandana might be, soaked in water.

I draped mine around my neck, as shown in the product photos, and it did feel cool... but only for a few minutes. Then, I slid the towel so another section was in contact with my neck, and that cooled (a little) for a few minutes. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I was not impressed.

For best results -- which still aren't great -- really soak the towel. Then wring it out. Then snap it multiple times and -- this is important -- let it sit with lots of air exposure for at least a full minute, preferably two. That seems to give the towel the maximum cooling effect.

But, as I said, this towel did not live up to its claims in Florida heat.

I would have returned this to the store, but one feature makes this product worthwhile: When I'm at theme parks (my main reason for seeking a way to stay cooler), I can grab a few ice cubes from any of the carts selling soft drinks. I place the ice cubes in the center of the towel (horizontally & vertically centered), and fold the towel over the ice cubes (covering them completely) so they're centered at the back of my neck and won't slide down my back. (From the front, it looks like I'm wearing the towel the same as in the product photos, with the ends loose and draped over my shoulders and slightly down my chest. The ice cubes are concealed at the back of my neck.)

The towel seems to insulate the ice cubes so they don't melt as quickly as in a bandana, and this towel also absorbs the melting water so it doesn't run down my back or otherwise soak my clothing.

I think this product might work fine on a summer day in a climate with just moderate humidity. Too humid (like Florida) and there's little evaporative cooling. Too dry (like Vegas, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, or L.A.) and it'll dry out too quickly

Nevertheless, this towel is the best product I've seen if -- like me -- you use ice cubes at the back of your neck to stay cool. In late May, in sunny, 90F heat at Disney World's Animal Kingdom, ice cubes took more than 15 minutes to melt, and -- as a result -- I stayed fairly cool.

Instant Story Idea Generator
Instant Story Idea Generator
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not new information, not much of a 'generator', and far overpriced for 16 pages, May 25, 2015
I felt a little uneasy about buying a 16-page book for $2.99, but a fellow author had raved so much about one of Adams' other products (a romance writers' course in a $30 book), I wanted a peek at Adams' approach.

When I read this book -- in far less than an hour -- I was very disappointed. (But hey, this saved me the $30 I might have spent on her bigger book.)

While "Instant Story Idea Generator" has a few good ideas in it, it seems like the kind of information you'd get in a free webinar. The punch line is a sales pitch, pointing you in the direction of Adams' other books, products, and mentoring.

Also, I'm not sure I'd call this book a "story generator." My definition of a story generator is like the ones found at Chaotic Shiny or Seventh Sanctum.

Adams' information uses cute acronyms, but I've read or heard most of this (and better explained) for free from people like the Snowflake Guy, Jami Gold, Larry Brooks, MJ Bush, Holly Lisle, James Scott Bell, and -- of course -- Chuck Wendig. And, when I buy their books, I know I'll receive excellent value.

At 99 cents, I might have given this book three stars, but frankly, I think books like this should be perma-free.

I can't recommend it to beginning writers because none of the points go into enough depth to be very helpful. And, I can't recommend this book to experienced authors because -- aside from the acronyms (for basic, familiar plotting concepts) and a fairly awful plot (used as an example of how to generate ideas) -- there's nothing new here.

I didn't say "I hate it" (one star) because some of the information is good. It's just not new. You can find this same kind of advice, free, all over the Internet.

So, I'm giving it two stars ("I don't like it") and getting a refund, which I hardly ever do.

Taken by the Haunted HDMI Cable: (Cable Erotica)
Taken by the Haunted HDMI Cable: (Cable Erotica)

2.0 out of 5 stars Story has humor potential, but in the early 2015 incarnation, this book needs a rewrite, March 10, 2015
I'd hoped for something light, preposterous, and funny. Instead, the more I read, the more confused I became. Too many cables. Too much confusing anatomy. Not enough fun or sexy fantasy.

As a statement about erotic parody, I suppose it's okay... as long as the statement is, "Wow, this makes sex tedious."

The basic writing was fine, but the book probably needs to be rewritten from the ground up. Mindmapping the concept and taking it to the fringes -- less tech, more sex, and more humor -- it could still work.

For me, it missed the mark. It wasn't sexy enough, or absurd enough, and I kept losing track of what part was going where... and why.

Twitter Followers: How to Attract 200+ Genuine and Targeted Twitter Followers Every Single Day - A Step-by-Step Twitter Formula: Twitter Followers - Strategies that are proven and guaranteed.
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, but I'm not convinced it's worth the effort, March 10, 2015
Okay, I suppose, but far more work than most people will engage in. I'm not convinced the results would be worth it for authors and artists like me. However, for businesses... well, I suppose it might be worth outsourcing the work. In general, the process is very simple and logical, but I can see some problems to it, as well.

All in all, not something I'll pursue.

Audiobooks for Indies: The One-Stop Guide for Authors Looking to Make More Money Selling Audiobooks
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good insights and helpful information, March 2, 2015
Some great insights that demystify the options for indies who'd like to add audiobooks to their books' formats. Easy to read, and lots of "ah-HA!" tips. Definitely worthwhile reading if you're planning to explore the audiobook marketplace with your own books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20