Profile for Aisling D'Art > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 352

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aisling D'Art "artist and author" RSS Feed (Portsmouth, NH USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Taken by the Haunted HDMI Cable: (Cable Erotica)
Taken by the Haunted HDMI Cable: (Cable Erotica)

2.0 out of 5 stars Story has humor potential, but in the early 2015 incarnation, this book needs a rewrite, March 10, 2015
I'd hoped for something light, preposterous, and funny. Instead, the more I read, the more confused I became. Too many cables. Too much confusing anatomy. Not enough fun or sexy fantasy.

As a statement about erotic parody, I suppose it's okay... as long as the statement is, "Wow, this makes sex tedious."

The basic writing was fine, but the book probably needs to be rewritten from the ground up. Mindmapping the concept and taking it to the fringes -- less tech, more sex, and more humor -- it could still work.

For me, it missed the mark. It wasn't sexy enough, or absurd enough, and I kept losing track of what part was going where... and why.

Twitter Followers: How to Attract 200+ Genuine and Targeted Twitter Followers Every Single Day - A Step-by-Step Twitter Formula: Twitter Followers - Strategies that are proven and guaranteed.
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, but I'm not convinced it's worth the effort, March 10, 2015
Okay, I suppose, but far more work than most people will engage in. I'm not convinced the results would be worth it for authors and artists like me. However, for businesses... well, I suppose it might be worth outsourcing the work. In general, the process is very simple and logical, but I can see some problems to it, as well.

All in all, not something I'll pursue.

Audiobooks for Indies: The One-Stop Guide for Authors Looking to Make More Money Selling Audiobooks
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good insights and helpful information, March 2, 2015
Some great insights that demystify the options for indies who'd like to add audiobooks to their books' formats. Easy to read, and lots of "ah-HA!" tips. Definitely worthwhile reading if you're planning to explore the audiobook marketplace with your own books.

You Are Just A Guest
You Are Just A Guest

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, classic, traditional ghost story, January 17, 2015
This is a modern telling of a classic style of ghost story. It's a little predictable, but -- for me -- that made it kind of endearing.

The writing is good. It's not entirely credible, but that's okay. The story elements are a nice mix, anyway. The alternating viewpoints were a little jarring at times, and some of the tale felt rushed, but those are minor issues. They didn't detract much from the reading experience.

If you're expecting a nice, tidy ending... this isn't that kind of story. However, if you're a fan of classic ghost stories (19th century and early-to-mid 20th century) that leave you a little unsettled, this is a fine addition to the genre.

I read this story in one sitting, and I will read more by this author. His attention to detail is very good.

Historical Remedies, Lozenge Calm Drops, 30 Lozenges
Historical Remedies, Lozenge Calm Drops, 30 Lozenges
Offered by GARCO
Price: $6.38
23 used & new from $3.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not great, and not in the same category as Moon Drops., January 17, 2015
I tried these because I like their Moon Drops (to reduce insomnia and improve sleep), and I'd hoped these would help me unwind on stressful days when I still had work to complete.

For me, they helped a little, but not enough that I'm able to rave about them. And, the relief wasn't consistent, either.

When I first tried Moon Drops, it took about four different days (or nights) for me to see results. I've tried Calm Drops a similar number of times, and -- so far -- I haven't seen much improvement.

They're good, but not great, and definitely not as helpful as Moon Drops.

The Sociopath Next Door
The Sociopath Next Door
by Martha Stout
Price: $19.14
116 used & new from $2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever wondered why someone seemed to go out of his (or her) way to be mean or unfair to you? Read this book now., January 17, 2015
Everyone should read this book. No exceptions. For me, it was wall-to-wall "ah-HA!" moments. It explained so much about people who've annoyed me long past the point where I should have walked away from them, and not looked back. I kept giving them a second chance. Or, I thought it was just a misunderstanding, and we could talk it out.

One of the most liberating parts of this book was understanding the chilling logic behind sociopathic behaviors. (This isn't always an on/off switch. Many people aren't wholly sociopathic or completely free of those behaviors.)

I also liked learning that my tendency to be polite with them, no matter what, is a waste of time. I canNOT offend them. I need to quit looking at them through the "do unto others" filter, and invest that level of caring and energy in situations where it will make a positive difference.

The genetic component was troubling, but -- remembering difficult people in my past -- it made sense.

This is a fairly brutal book. It's also a book that every person needs to read. If you've ever wondered why someone treated you rudely, meanly, or downright cruelly, when -- as far as you could tell -- you'd only been caring and thoughtful with them... you really need to read this book.

I'm about to read this book for a second time, because the lessons in it are so challenging and different from anything I've read anywhere else. This book answered questions that have bothered me for more than 10 years. Some, even longer than that. And, this information becomes vastly more important as we deal with a changing world, online and off.

A friend recommended this book to me, and I'm very glad that he did. Finally, I have answers that make sense.

Cat Sleuth (A Pattie Lansbury Cat Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
Cat Sleuth (A Pattie Lansbury Cat Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, entertaining, and well-crafted. Cat lovers, don't miss this mystery!, January 17, 2015
This book was a total surprise. It's an engaging story with well-rounded characters. The author definitely knows how to write. She's clearly a cat lover as well.

The plot is simple. I noticed one inconsistency early in the story that led me to suspect the actual villain. However, I wasn't sure enough to put the book down, and read it in one sitting.

When I reached the conclusion, it felt a little like an information dump. Then, I realized the author had shown us the clues all along. She'd just explained them -- through the eyes or dialogue of the protagonist -- and I took her explanations at face value. It was a clever, effective, and stylish deception!

I'm surprised by how much I liked this book. I had low expectations for such a short mystery, especially one that provides so much information about multiple cats, they're pretty much secondary characters.

The author didn't rush anything. This is a well-constructed story told in just a few pages.

Cat lovers will definitely like this book, and probably the others by this author. Mystery lovers may be as impressed as I was, and enjoy it as an entertaining read that can be completed in one sitting.

Part 1! WRITE A GOOD MYSTERY :Write a Detective Novel Today,Crime Writing, Rules for Writing Detective Stories (Write Me Dearly)
Price: $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a detective's manual than a writer's guide., January 17, 2015
I struggled to stay interested in this book. That's saying a lot since I love mysteries, and I've written a few myself.

Initially, I had the feeling this book was outsourced. The writing doesn't have a clear "voice." While I could attribute that to the way the co-authors worked together, I think it's something else.

Frankly, I think they took a detective how-to manual and tried to rephrase it so it sounded like they were speaking as mystery writers. For me, that didn't work.

For starters, this book has a narrow focus. It's for people writing detective stories and police procedurals, not cozies. Mostly, this book discusses the mechanics of being a detective, interviewing witnesses, and so on. It's not especially stylish, and some of the material... it's rather boring. I felt like they were trying to fill pages, not share helpful insights.

While I gleaned a couple of good insights from this book, the writing didn't flow. It was difficult to read.

I feel like the authors' assembled this book with good intentions, but the book isn't chatty enough to be fun reading. Maybe my first guess -- that they hired someone to write this for them -- is correct.

Others have written better police- and detective-related guides for mystery writers. I especially like the "Howdunit Series" for writers, and give those books my highest recommendations.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2015 9:57 PM PST

My Paranormal Journal: Volume One
My Paranormal Journal: Volume One
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start and better-than-average writing., January 17, 2015
I was pretty sure this was part of a serial, so I was fine with the brevity of it. The writing style is good, probably better than most among indie books in this genre. The book ends on kind of a cliffhanger, but she's set the stage pretty well. The story begins like any other blog or journal you might read: a little of this, a little of that, and a pretty good sense of personality. The focus narrows to the paranormal near the end of this book.

I'd have liked more paranormal content in this story, and I think many readers will prefer this in a bundled set so they feel as if they've gotten more for their money.

However, it's a good start. While I'm not sure if I'll read the next book, I didn't feel let down by this one.

How To Write A Novel The Easy Way Using The Pulp Fiction Method To Write Better Novels
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid information for new and aspiring authors. Some good pep talks for published authors, too., January 15, 2015
This is a good book for new and aspiring authors. The author covers a lot of territory, quickly, with some good examples that get his point across. More experienced authors -- familiar with story beats and where to get good fiction ideas -- may not be dazzled by this book, but I liked his reminders about the methods and motivations of old-school pulp authors. They were good reminders about staying focused and blasting through "writer's block" to get the book finished.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20