Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Aisling D'Art > Reviews

Browse

Aisling D'Art's Profile

Customer Reviews: 364

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aisling D'Art "artist and author" RSS Feed (Portsmouth, NH USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Brave Intuitive Painting-Let Go, Be Bold, Unfold!: Techniques for Uncovering Your Own Unique Painting Style
by Flora S. Bowley
Price: $17.25
71 used & new from $12.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh color, energizing ideas, and buoyant enthusiasm that's contagious!, July 31, 2015
This is a fun, inspiring book with a variety of images featuring delicious colors, delightful (and improvised) designs, and tremendous ideas no matter what painting media you prefer. There's something for everyone who needs to break out of an artistic rut and find a fresher, more authentic voice. I keep looking at this book, every time I feel as if my art is going a little "flat," and I see something that re-energizes my interest in color and line.

Wonderful for artists of any level, from beginner through M.F.A.

Doxie Go Plus - the smarter portable scanner with rechargeable battery & amazing software
Offered by Apparent
Price: $178.34
2 used & new from $160.00

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as a flatbed scanner, and so easy if you want to save family photos and documents to reprint, later, July 31, 2015
This scanner has been a lifesaver. I had a huge box of family photos to scan, and using a flatbed scanner was taking forever. The Doxie Go Plus can scan my photos in 1/4 the time (usually far less), and the results are just as good -- and sometimes better -- than my flatbed scanner. The results are excellent, with great resolution and clarity so any photo can be printed on demand with no loss of quality.

If you've been meaning to start scanning and saving family photos or records, get this scanner. You'll be glad you did. It's an excellent value.

Here are some more details from my experience with Doxie Go Plus: I bought this scanner, hoping it would scan clearly and easily. It's exceeded my expectations. I can sit in front of the TV and feed photos and papers through while I watch movies and shows. Even if I feed the photos through unevenly, the scanner handles it well, even correcting minor issues as needed.

The scanner works quietly, is fast to charge, and very easy to clean after every 50 to 100 photos. (To clean out any residue or dust build-up, I just run a small, cloth-covered wedge -- provided with the scanner -- through the feed slot. I don't have to open anything. The process takes one second. Really.)

I went through the entire box of photos -- hundreds of them -- in an afternoon. I had no problem feeding in thin, Polaroid photos as well as late 19th-century photos mounted on cardboard. I even scanned some photos on metal plates, and the results were superb.

The scanned quality was just as good as my flatbed scanner. And, I have the option of scanning at 300 dpi or 600 dpi.

Since using this scanner for that project, I've used it to scan my own drawings, my receipts, and old notes and bits of paper I might need to look at again, later. Everything went through smoothly and the results were consistently good.

Though I've used the scanner a lot in the past month or so, it's still working as well as when it arrived from Amazon. I have absolutely no complaints about it, and can't think of anything negative to say.

This scanner has completely changed how I deal with paper clutter, and it's small enough to throw into a backpack for research trips or business travel. I wish I'd had this years ago. I'm sure I wouldn't have as many storage boxes -- the "I might need this someday" kind -- if I could have scanned everything and let go of the actual paper.

And, since I bought it for family photos (genealogy and general family memories), I'm able to share digital copies with my entire family, easily. No more worries about wonderful photographic images being lost or damaged!

FRAN WILSON Cake Eyeliner Brown (Model: FW5602)
FRAN WILSON Cake Eyeliner Brown (Model: FW5602)
Offered by International Coffee & Books
Price: $8.99
7 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, long-wearing product for sensitive eyes and almost any skin or eye color, July 31, 2015
My eyes are sensitive to most makeup, and I can barely wear mascara. So, eyeliner is a must unless I want to look far older than I need to... and far less attractive, too.

This brown eyeliner is a wonderful, neutral brown. It's not too red and not too blue... just right for daytime wear, especially if you have fair skin!

I've had no irritation from it. I can control how dark it is by using more or less water, and I can remove any excess easily (while it's still wet) with a cotton swab or a stroke of the application brush (rinsed in water, first).

For me, the brush works great, but I've worked in fashion so I'm used to applying eyeliner. That may make a difference, but I don't think so. Really, it's a good little brush that doesn't splay or develop a curl.

I also own this product in black, and like it just as well for when I'm wearing more eye makeup or want a more dramatic use. For everyday wear, this brown is exactly what I wanted. It stays on all day, and rinses off with ease, with plain water. (I have no idea how they've achieved that, but I'm grateful.)

Material World: A Global Family Portrait
Material World: A Global Family Portrait
by Charles C. Mann
Price: $30.84
99 used & new from $11.94

4.0 out of 5 stars At least as important to read now (2015) as when it was first published, July 31, 2015
Still a great book and deeply thought-provoking. I'm not sure the represented countries and cultures are still as sensible about possessions, so I'd be interested in a follow-up to this book. Nevertheless, I think this is an important book for people to read as they consider decluttering, downsizing, or otherwise reducing the excess things they own in favor of living more simply.

AmazonBasics Legal/Wide Ruled 8-1/2 by 11-3/4 Legal Pad - Canary (50 sheets per pad, 12 pack)
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for anyone who takes lots of notes., July 31, 2015
These very affordable pads did what I expected. The paper quality is good. The lines are a good width apart for jotting notes. The paper tears smoothly and consistently when I want to remove a sheet.

The yellow color is exactly what it should be, and ideal for mind-mapping and brainstorming -- the two main things I use lined pads for.

All in all, these writing pads are an excellent value. I didn't feel that the cardboard backing provided much support, so I use these paper pads on a clipboard. Other than that, I have no complaints at all, and I'll order these again rather than pay higher prices (for lower quality) at office supply stores.

Fran Wilson Cake Eyeliner Black
Fran Wilson Cake Eyeliner Black
Offered by BeautyOnline
Price: $7.99
5 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect, even for older women, those with allergies, and finicky customers like me., June 29, 2015
I'm over 55, so I need a liner that can provide a softer look without smudging or fading over the next 10 or so hours. I'm also allergic to many -- perhaps most -- eye makeup products. And, I want a cake eyeliner with consistent color... nothing that starts dark and fades quickly as the line extends. And finally, the cake eyeliner cannot have a crackled appearance (too dry) or smear due to oily eyelashes.

That's a lot to ask for in one product. This eyeliner delivers it. I even like the brush, though some people may want a brush with a smaller point for greater control. I've kept using the one that came with this product, and I'm happy with it.

I like this so well, I've ordered the same product in brown, for times when I want a subtler line or a wider one without looking too garish.

This eyeliner goes on smoothly, stays looking great all day (even in Florida's hottest, most humid weather), and removes easily. (I'm not sure I'd go swimming in it. I doubt that it's actually waterproof.)

Really, it's the perfect cake eyeliner in a nice, even black color that will go with all skin tones.

The Writer's Idea Thesaurus: An Interactive Guide for Developing Ideas for Novels and Short Stories
by Fred D. White
Price: $12.46
56 used & new from $3.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and a gold mine for fiction writers., June 26, 2015
This is a brilliant idea. It's filled with ideas that can improve any plot with fresh concepts and new "what if...?" questions. I bought a copy for myself, and a second one for my (author) daughter. We both love the inspiration this book provides.

Oh, you're not likely to lift the ideas or plot concepts straight off the pages of this book. However, if you need a fresh outlook on your story, and some ideas that can present unexpected plot twists... this is a great book for your writing bookshelf.

The Writer's Guide to Getting Organized: Take Control of Your Creative Life 10 Minutes at a Time
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good foundation for any author who wants to be better organized, June 26, 2015
Lynn Johnston gets a lot right when she talks about writing. This book is very good, and touched on many points I hadn't considered as I'm trying to get more organized as a writer & artist.

I'm not convinced that authors (or anyone in a creative career) needs ALL the systems that Johnston touches on in this book, but if you read this book and do even 1/3 of what she suggests, you'll be more organized than most authors.

The one point I disagree on, heartily, is her recommendation that you register your pen names as business names (DBA, or "doing business as" registrations). Unless your bank requires that kind of paperwork, registering each pen name (connecting it to your real name and address in records available to the public) kind of defeats the point of using a pen name for privacy. (Ask other, long-time authors in your community. They're likely to know if registration is necessary. So far -- in three American states -- I've never needed to.)

Other than that, this book is useful if you're anxious about covering all the bases necessary to be a truly organized author. And, Johnston includes lots of great resources and tips, as well. For the price, this is a book well worth reading.

Man in the High Castle - Season 1
Man in the High Castle - Season 1
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next episode!, June 26, 2015
This is an absolutely compelling concept, at least in the first episode. I watched it because Rufus Sewell was in it, and he brings quirky depths to every role he plays. This one is no exception, and I barely recognized him with his slimmer face and sinister styling.

The plot is whimsical and cryptic, with twists I didn't see coming.

I have no idea where this series will go, but anything based on Philip K. Dick's work is likely to be intriguing and entertaining.

So far, so good!

John From Cincinnati Season 1
John From Cincinnati Season 1
DVD
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky series, best for people who've lived in Los Angeles or at least been part of the surfing scene, June 26, 2015
This is a quirky series. Parts of it dragged a bit. The constant, recurring anger by DeMornay's character kind of baffled me.

However, if you've lived in Los Angeles or been part of the surfing scene (ever), there's a crazy logic to this story that's addictive. If you liked the old TV series, "It's Like, You Know" (ABC 1999 - 2000), you may love this series.

If strong language and loose morals offend you, don't bother with this series. Some of the parenting and relationships in the show are absolutely appalling, too. One element is absolutely nightmarish.

Despite the things that bothered me about this series, I watched the entire season in just a few days. I really wanted to know who (or what) John was... and I'm still not sure.

I'm not sure this series can sustain its entertainment value, especially if DeMornay's character continues her irrational rages. (I want to like her, but her inappropriate antagonism got on my nerves, even before the other shoe dropped, in "call Child Protective Services" terms. After that, I flinched whenever she showed up in a scene, apparently oblivious or at least unrepentant about her behaviors.)

The show is well cast and written with style. Even the occasional over-the-top rambles (like the one by the car salesman) are forgiveable as this series explores odd and innovative themes.

For now, I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes. At the moment, it makes no sense, but there's a logic and symmetry to it. It's difficult to explain, unless you've lived in L.A. or been involved in surfing... and possibly both.

You'll either hate this series or keep watching because... well, it's like... you know... but at the beach.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20